PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want us to interview?

GameGavel
26-05-11, 05:56
We have a long lineup up interviews still to bring you, but maybe it would be cool if you all gave us your dream interview? Who in gaming should we try to get on our show? We are generally targeting people from the early, early days, but many of you may be interested in hearing from some gaming gurus from the late 80's to 90's.

Let us know and maybe we will track them down and get them on the show!

Duke.Togo
26-05-11, 06:17
I'd really like to hear an interview with Jeff Minter.

Tepic
26-05-11, 12:12
Vote #2 for Mr Minter.

meu2
26-05-11, 12:28
Far too many to list (and not even considering Japanese developers), but Ed Logg, Ed Boon, Ralph Baer, Nolan Bushnell and Will Wright immediately spring to mind.

GameGavel
26-05-11, 02:48
I have had contact with Jeff Minter and he will be coming on the show. Bill Budge also said he would interview with us as well. And Will Wright is on our list of "gets" already. Keep the suggestions coming!

MrFrumble
26-05-11, 03:01
Someone from Sega of America or Sega of Japan from the Dreamcast era.

Edit: ...or anyone from Sega before the Dreamcast era.

chrisbid
26-05-11, 03:12
eugene jarvis

meu2
26-05-11, 04:37
Someone from Sega of America or Sega of Japan from the Dreamcast era.

Edit: ...or anyone from Sega before the Dreamcast era.

I think Steve Woita is already on the list, but anyone from SOA or STI from the 8 and 16 bit generations would be cool.

Similarly anyone from Nintendo of America from that period would be cool, in particular Howard Lincoln.

And Alexey Pajitnov goes without saying too.

glp
26-05-11, 05:26
I would like to see an interview with VINCE PERRI, the owner of ACTIVE ENTERPRISES and creator ot ACTION 52 AND CHEETAHMEN

A DETAILED history of the company and the Creation of CHEETAHMEN would be AWESOME.

I don't think there is a more controversial 8-bit NES game in existance. I want to know WHY?

zxspectrum16k
26-05-11, 07:11
How about Matthew Smith the creator of Manic Miner and Jetset Willy, awesome games and with a colourful back-story, another vote for Rob Hubbard c64 music genius, But my number one pick would have to be
Tim and Chris Stamper "Ultimate Play The Game". It would be awesome, the guys that brought its the big black boxes, Sabre Wulf, Underwurlde.
How did the use of the oversize black boxes for their games come about?,
Which games did they actual do themselves and which parts.
Sabre Wulf, Atic Atac Holy crap how did they design such a awesome game and is it true that they where finished well ahead of release date?
Which game do they think deserves more love 'Underwurlde is a gem'.
How about the transition into a developer for Nintendo under the name RARE (not sure if that was their official status??),
How's things now?
I have read a few interviews and articles on the above, but it would be ace to hear the actual people talking about it in their own words and ways.

Flare
26-05-11, 07:18
When someone asks that question, my answer is always the same. Try to interview Ray Kassar. Let's hear his side of the story on the downfall of Atari.

Also, I've love to hear an interview with the Mystique guys that made games for the 2600 (whoever they are, and wherever they are :))

Or, how about Steve Harris & Ed Semrad (EGM alumni). Steve Harris recently revived the magazine and apparently it's experiencing success.

Or how about Andy Eddy, former editor-in-chief of VideoGames & Computer Entertainment?

Flare
26-05-11, 07:22
Don't know if he visits the US but you gotta get Matthew Smith.

Not only for what he did but he's also a bit off the wall.

retroshaun
26-05-11, 08:31
Me! :-)

Burgertime
26-05-11, 09:15
I mentioned them on Facebook, but I'll bring them up here as well :p I was typing from my iPhone when I posted there.
Some more voice actors. Charles Martinet or even David Hayter would make for some interesting interviews.
I'm not sure if you had already interviewed her (I know someone mentioned talking to her for a little bit) but Sarah St. John from The Pinball Wizard Arcade.

Too bad you couldn't track down some of the guys who used to work in the tip lines for Nintendo in the 80's

Flare
26-05-11, 09:19
Some more voice actors. Charles Martinet or even David Hayter would make for some interesting interviews.
Speaking of voice actors... John Doremus would've been a good interview, if not for the fact that he passed away :(

Flare
26-05-11, 09:22
Interview a few of those Nintendo Power Game Counselors LOL

http://invisibleeyeball.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/GamePlayCounselors.jpg
http://www.infendo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/image3-495x226.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Nintendo%20Power/Issue%2014/NP14_18.jpg

ROFL just kidding. Don't actually do that.

Burgertime
26-05-11, 09:30
But Flare, can you imagine the types of stories that they would have? Crazy customer service calls are funny enough this day and age. Imagine the late 80's early 90's calls. Especially from kids and teens.

Flare
26-05-11, 09:43
I just looked up this dude Caesar Filori... for some reason his achievement of finishing Contra in 15 minutes with one life using the powerglove has always stuck with me.

Apparently, some are people saying that was complete bullshit, heh. I mean seriously, if someone can actually do that, he would be gaming God.

Oh and he has a Facebook page, and it says he's a producer at Microsoft.

TV's Mr. Neil
26-05-11, 10:05
You guys should interview Dr. Chen.

triverse
26-05-11, 11:26
I would like to hear an interview with Chris Mellissinos, he is the man behind the Smithsonian exhibit called "The Art of Video Games" which opens next early next year. If you are not in contact with him already, I can fix that for you.

http://www.artofvideogames.org/

When someone asks that question, my answer is always the same. Try to interview Ray Kassar. Let's hear his side of the story on the downfall of Atari.

Also, I've love to hear an interview with the Mystique guys that made games for the 2600 (whoever they are, and wherever they are :))

Or, how about Steve Harris & Ed Semrad (EGM alumni). Steve Harris recently revived the magazine and apparently it's experiencing success.

Or how about Andy Eddy, former editor-in-chief of VideoGames & Computer Entertainment?

Steve Harris won't do audio interviews (I have worked with him on some unreleased projects in the last year and this was a request I had, only text interviews for him).

Ed Semrad, as far as I know, wants nothing to do with videogames so an interview with him may be a little tough to garner.

Andy Eddy is currently with Official Xbox Monthly, last I knew, he may have moved on (Martin Alessi mentioned something about him having moved on but I can't confirm it). He is good to go for interviews as long as they are not "magazine" destined (i.e., can't be published in a gaming magazine due to possible conflicts with his current employer). A cool guy to talk with, he is very open about things.

Maybe Bill Kunkel? He is The Game Doctor, which appeared in Electronic Games (early 80's), EGM (early 90's), Electronic Games by Decker Publishing (early 90's) and of course Video Games and Computer Entertainment. I have interviewed him before and have been in contact with him for a few years now, great knowledgable person and is not scared to give his opinion on things.

Blitter
28-05-11, 05:37
Jack Tramiel still around? Anybody involved with Colecovision development. Trip Hawkens. Tim Skelly. Dave Theurer.

saberman
28-05-11, 04:33
Jack Tramiel still around?

Unfortunately not, he passed away quite some time ago.

Being from the UK I’m with zxspectrum16k Smith or the Stamper Brothers would be awesome. I’d love to see Mike Singelton interviewed too.

Leathco
30-05-11, 02:54
Why not some of the more popular video makers today? Chris Bucci from Turbo Views or James Rolfe from the AVGN. I can get more names from some of my fave shows and maybe contact emails if you are interested in this route.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

gutek
30-05-11, 03:51
What a great idea to ask the listeners for suggestions. Very much appreciated, guys.
Here are my suggestions:

I would find Interviews with either Tim Schafer and/or Ron Gilbert very, very interesting. I know that Ron Gilbert not long ago held a talk about Maniac Mansion (or Day of the Tentacle, not sure) - so he is clearly interested in talking about his past.

Also, Eric Cahi I would like to hear talk about his older games. He is a man of strong vision, matched by only very few people in the industry.

Jordan Mechner is another strong candidate. Maybe you guys could get him to talk about Last Express even. ;)

Peter Liepa created one of the most unique and interesting game concepts to date: Boulder Dash. I would love to hear how the game came together.

Sid Meier, Richard Garriot and Al Lowe would be obvious choices. Heard that Al makes a very interesting interview partner.

Chris Hulsbeck as a pioneer of game music (his work on the Turrican games is unbelievable).

JoeJet
02-06-11, 02:01
I would love to hear you interview Clay Harrell of Pinrepair..

For designers?
Eugene Jarvis, Python Angelo, Steve Ritchie, Dennis Nordman...

SubaruBrat
02-06-11, 02:18
We have a massive pinball interview schedule in the future.

meu2
02-06-11, 03:16
Some pinball interviews will make a nice change of pace too. Sounds like there is going to be no shortage of interviews coming down the line.

tcv
05-06-11, 02:58
Vote for Jeff Minter, too.

I'd like to hear from Nolan Bushnell, but maybe that's too pie-in-the-sky. I imagine it'd have a lot of boasting and half-truths in it, but it's a nice contrast to what we're hearing from the others.

Anyone involved with the Amiga.

I'd like to hear from Howard Phillips since he was involved in a lot of the early NOA years.