PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 31 - The Missing Mayor Of Marshfield, Massachusetts

miner2049er
18-05-11, 08:30
Holy Crap! An early show!

Not only that, but our rootinest tootinest show too. We take on the sexiest Video Game Babes and take Live News to a whole new dimension.

Hardware Flashback - (00:00)
Atar-Rewind - (19:32)
Hand Baked Arcade - (45:28)
Guinness Gaming Records - (63:44)
Al Alcorn Interview - (67:18)
Gaming Trivia - (130:46)
Top Ten Video Game Babes - (132:60)
Homebrew Game Review - (201:48)
The British Hour - (207:42)
News And Listener Views - (222:33)
URLs And EMails - (309:59)

As always, See the shownotes page (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2011/roundup031_2011.05.htm). Donate (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) to the show.
Join our Facebook Group (http://www.facebook.com/RetroGamingRoundup). Listen to the May Outtakes (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/roundups/2011/RoundUp031_Outtakes.mp3).
Stream the show 24/7 (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/247).

GameGavel
18-05-11, 11:42
Hey everyone,

I hope you enjoy this month's show. As UK said, news was taken to a whole new level this month. Remember, you too, can listen in live and interact with us during the taping of this segment. Don't miss out on the fun next month!

Leathco
19-05-11, 01:16
Wow, this one came early. Sorry I missed the news chat, been working double shifts 6 days a week. Ill get back in the fold soon though. For now, thanks for more material I can use to pass the time at work. My co workers think I'm nuts for laughing randomly when I wear my headphones.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk

Burgertime
19-05-11, 02:11
I missed the live news chat too, but that's because I overslept after a horrible night on the 3rd shift.
Usually I'm taking the show into work too, but tonight I'm going to listen on my headphones while playing some games and feeling sick (I called out). Can't wait to hear that Al Alcorn interview.
Plus I'm curious to hear where the episode title came from, being from Massachusetts myself :p

retroshaun
19-05-11, 05:35
Daaaam, I only just finished the last show... well done guys, something to listen to at work today!

Chuck D. Head
19-05-11, 06:09
Hi! Just thought I would officially install myself as glass-half-empty guy and say that a new show after three weeks probably means five weeks till the next one. :-( Seriously though, I am excited to dig into it! :-)

miner2049er
19-05-11, 08:06
Hi! Just thought I would officially install myself as glass-half-empty guy and say that a new show after three weeks probably means five weeks till the next one.

or more....

Leathco
19-05-11, 08:17
Do I smess a special episode coming? Drunken Mule 2 perhaps?

Compute
19-05-11, 08:59
Great show as usual, guys! I love the interviews and the Top 10s are top-notch.

miner2049er
19-05-11, 09:27
Thanks, we had some good interviews recently.

miner2049er
19-05-11, 09:35
Do I smess a special episode coming? Drunken Mule 2 perhaps?

LOL, in the pipeline, but not yet.

Maybe SoCal will get drunk and post the reason on Atari Age. ;)

Compute
19-05-11, 10:33
Although this applies more to the last episode, I found a tidbit regarding pinball. In addition to pinball manufacturers putting chimes in Solid State machines, there was also at least one aftermarket electronic chime-replacement unit built for EM pins. I spotted it last week on ebay, but didn't pick it up. The unit allowed an operator to replace their chime unit with state-of-the-art electronic beeps and flazzles. Something like that. I sure as hell wouldn't put it in an EM, personally.

Compute
20-05-11, 02:47
Also great job on calling that bar owner in that town in MA. It was good to hear about it right from someone in town there. You can now add "investigative journalism" to the "news, reviews, opinions, and more."

SubaruBrat
20-05-11, 02:52
We really lucked out on that random call, says allot that the town hung up on us, perhaps our reputation proceeds us?

GameGavel
20-05-11, 03:52
Great show as usual, guys! I love the interviews and the Top 10s are top-notch.

Thanks Compute,

Appreciate the feedback and glad you are enjoying the show :)

Burgertime
20-05-11, 05:56
That was indeed a fantastic show!
My told my wife she should make a list of the 10 ten retro guys, but the only people she knows could only list PS1 and later stuff. So unless you wanted a whole list of Sephroth, Cloud and Dante :p Oh, and I say Fabio on the cover of Ironsword doesn't count.

Looked at where that town in MA was, and it's South East of Boston, and across the ocean from where I am (I'm not far from Salem).

Chuck D. Head
20-05-11, 05:39
or more....

Ahhh, I see how it is. Update: The glass is now three-quarters empty and obviously is one of those dribble glasses that some bastard bought from the Johnson-Smith catalog so I would wind up dribbling cheap malt liquor down the front of my favorite shirt. :L:L

meu2
21-05-11, 12:30
Crikey that was quick. I'm only half way through the last show, but I can't wait to listen to the Al Alcorn interview.

tcv
22-05-11, 12:37
Just started into it. This is becoming a real treat to have the show to listen to every month. (I'm a new listener.)

Hate to show my ignorance, but what is the tune during the beginning/end of AtaREWIND?

chrisbid
23-05-11, 06:39
random fact

lupin also starred in the game Lock N Chase for the arcade, intellivision and 2600

GameGavel
23-05-11, 06:48
Pitfall :PH

Just started into it. This is becoming a real treat to have the show to listen to every month. (I'm a new listener.)

Hate to show my ignorance, but what is the tune during the beginning/end of AtaREWIND?

zxspectrum16k
23-05-11, 07:58
Really enjoyed the Al Alcorn interview and lucking forward to part two, the telephone call was an awesome moment. Great show as always, cheers

RedWolfJC
24-05-11, 07:57
Pitfall :PH

Pitfall II to be exact...

After hearing it on the show I had to break it out and play it again. Was it that frustrating back in the day? f&*%^ Bats! :D

Great show once again guys!

tcv
25-05-11, 01:08
Loved the breezier Top Ten. I didn't realize how much they wandered around until I heard this one. Definitely tighter and not too much SoCal moaning. :-D

SubaruBrat
25-05-11, 01:27
Tangent control is an issue, sure. But top tens also vary in worthy material to get out there. In a pinball top ten there is nearly 100 years of history that is begging to be included. In top ten gaming babes few of us have to be convinced of the nature or history of T&A. We try to mix it up!

Chris
25-05-11, 03:50
One thing is for sure, no matter how long the Top Ten segment goes on, somewhere someone with a complete lack of social skills and a severe gender ambiguity problem will take the time to record a separate segment that is completely about how wrong you all are.

tcv
25-05-11, 03:58
In a pinball top ten there is nearly 100 years of history that is begging to be included.

Yes, that's a good point. I don't think that shortening up the Pinball Top Ten would have been good. There was a lot of background and technical discussion needed to flesh it out.

miner2049er
25-05-11, 08:57
One thing is for sure, no matter how long the Top Ten segment goes on, somewhere someone with a complete lack of social skills and a severe gender ambiguity problem will take the time to record a separate segment that is completely about how wrong you all are.

Haha! I like that.

SubaruBrat
25-05-11, 12:47
I feel needed.

eldphm
25-05-11, 04:07
This months show had some good news (you hit gold with the barowner) and some Bad News, which was nostalgic.
You keep getting interviews with the big names, so I almost expect you to follow up with Woz's version of the story that I am sure that Al will tell in the conclusion of this months cliffhanger.

retroshaun
01-06-11, 10:31
HEY! I just got through the Top 10 this month and - UK Mike - whats with the Newcastle slur man? Seriously!!! Cheeky Yorkshire/Lancashire (same place) bastard! :-)

Anyway Miss Cole is gone already... which is fine because she's a stupid b*tch, and thats from someone FROM the 'toon!

OK. Sorry... had to get that off my chest!

miner2049er
01-06-11, 11:07
LOL. It wasn't a Newcastle slur, it was a Cole slur. I find her detestable.

retroshaun
02-06-11, 04:14
OK well I can agree 100% with ya there Mike! Between her and the friggin abhorrent "Geordie Pride" (which we are in no way "proud" of) it almost makes me feel ashamed. Almost :)

meu2
02-06-11, 11:45
HEY! I just got through the Top 10 this month and - UK Mike - whats with the Newcastle slur man? Seriously!!! Cheeky Yorkshire/Lancashire (same place) bastard! :-)

I actually thought Mike was taking a jab at the Newcastle accent myself, but a Cole attack is totally understandable.

The top ten was probably the funniest (and most disturbing) to date, though I got the impression SoCal was actually a bit upset about the "gay" jokes. UKMikes sound clips where just great, particularly "No, no, no, no". Cant' wait to hear the second part of the Al Alcorn interview too.

SubaruBrat
02-06-11, 01:10
At first I thought he was being a wanker, but then it dawned on me he was being a tosser. #Tryingtofakeit

meu2
02-06-11, 03:17
And here's me thinking he was just being a plonker ;)

retroshaun
02-06-11, 04:55
He's a bit of a bell-end but we still love him :)

Kombi
04-06-11, 01:45
Another great show loved the 4 interviews:
Al Alcorn,
Hand Baked Arcade (a real favourite of mine - what a great idea!),
the Atari 2600 prototype cartridge finds,
and the interview duiring news with the Tavern owner - I was thinking just give up on the phone calls, as it seemed you werent going to get anywhere - then Bang! you probably could not of found a better person in town.
Keep up the great work.

BydoEmpire73
05-06-11, 11:48
I've been out of the loop for a month or so, but I finally started listening to this month's episode. Great Atar-Rewind interview. It's always cool to get a glimpse of other parts of the classic gaming era besides just developers. It must have been really fun to be a kid and get access to those games.

Waterborn
06-06-11, 12:27
Hey guys, finally caught up on my backlog of RGRU podcasts and have two comments on the May episode:

1) I live near Marshfield, MA and actually know Ned Bangs, whom you mentioned during your show. Ned oversees the parks and rec dept for the town and I couldn't help but laugh thinking of him answering your phone call regarding arcades and the banning of coin-op games. Great topic and definitely fun to listen to the chat with the local pub master. Funny thing is that, within about five minutes of the town line, there are at least two "fun parks" in neighboring towns that have video games, not to mention several bowling alleys close by.

2) I could have sworn that you mentioned something about a Genesis flash multi-cart similar to the Harmony cart for Atari, either during this show or a previous one. I own a Sega Genesis arcade cab and would love to find one of those carts, but I cannot for the life of me remember the name that you mentioned. Can you help a guy out here?

Oh, and finally, I attended the 13th Annual Classic Arcade Tournament at Funspot this weekend. I think I may have finished somewhere around #35, but it was definitely a fun time. I was able to post the all-time high score for Robotron (non-tournament game this year) at Funspot and thus got my ugly mug up on the "Wall of Fame" which was recently digitized. So if you head out there, look for the ugliest guy in the line-up. That would be me.

Great show as always, keep up the great work!

GameGavel
06-06-11, 01:14
The Genesis flash cart is the Everdrive :)

Hey guys, finally caught up on my backlog of RGRU podcasts and have two comments on the May episode:

1) I live near Marshfield, MA and actually know Ned Bangs, whom you mentioned during your show. Ned oversees the parks and rec dept for the town and I couldn't help but laugh thinking of him answering your phone call regarding arcades and the banning of coin-op games. Great topic and definitely fun to listen to the

chat with the local pub master. Funny thing is that, within about five minutes of the town line, there are at least two "fun parks" in neighboring towns that have video games, not to mention several bowling alleys close by.

2) I could have sworn that you mentioned something about a Genesis flash multi-cart similar to the Harmony cart for Atari, either during this show or a previous one. I own a Sega Genesis arcade cab and would love to find one of those carts, but I cannot for the life of me remember the name that you mentioned. Can you help a guy out here?

Oh, and finally, I attended the 13th Annual Classic Arcade Tournament at Funspot this weekend. I think I may have finished somewhere around #35, but it was definitely a fun time. I was able to post the all-time high score for Robotron (non-tournament game this year) at Funspot and thus got my ugly mug up on the "Wall of Fame" which was recently digitized. So if you head out there, look for the ugliest guy in the line-up. That would be me.

Great show as always, keep up the great work!

Cynicaster
07-06-11, 04:44
Oh, and finally, I attended the 13th Annual Classic Arcade Tournament at Funspot this weekend. I think I may have finished somewhere around #35, but it was definitely a fun time.

Would you mind explaining a bit more about what the tourney is like? Specifically, how many people are in it? How does it work? Do you know beforehand what games you'll be playing? Is it kind of like a big "good ol' boys club" full of world-record-holding obsessive gamers, or can a more casual outsider join and still have fun?

I'm asking because since completing my MAME cabinet a few months ago I haven't so much as touched any other gaming device, new or old. I'm just addicted to these arcade games--I love the challenge of them. I'd love to participate in an event like this some day, but I'd fully expect to be put to shame by guys who have played the games for 20-30 years solid.

Waterborn
16-06-11, 03:11
Hey Cynicaster, sorry for the delayed response. Been insanely busy with work lately. I will try to answer you questions one by one. The Best thing to do is go check out the event breakdown over at Aurcade (http://www.aurcade.com/events/view.aspx?id=27). Basically, the game list is kept secret until the tournament starts to make sure nobody has an advantage. Many of the competitors live in New England and have direct access to Funspots games year round. In my experience, everyone is very friendly and gracious. We are all geeks, so there are really no issues with Cliques. There are some pretty big names in the world of classic video games that show up. Case in point, Hank Chien, the current DK world record holder, was there for the tournament this year. Regardless, many participants are "casual" players (I think my final rank was something like 35th). There is another similar event coming up at Pinball Wizard in Pehlam NH very soon. So if you can make it down, I highly suggest doing so.

SubaruBrat
16-06-11, 03:43
At MAGFEST we had the booth next to Auric of Aurcade and I had a chance to talk to him and some of his people quite a bit. They ran the tournament on my Pong and Computer Space in the museum. Real nice folks with a keen interest in the hobby.

Cynicaster
16-06-11, 06:23
Hey Cynicaster, sorry for the delayed response. Been insanely busy with work lately. I will try to answer you questions one by one. The Best thing to do is go check out the event breakdown over at Aurcade (http://www.aurcade.com/events/view.aspx?id=27). Basically, the game list is kept secret until the tournament starts to make sure nobody has an advantage. Many of the competitors live in New England and have direct access to Funspots games year round. In my experience, everyone is very friendly and gracious. We are all geeks, so there are really no issues with Cliques. There are some pretty big names in the world of classic video games that show up. Case in point, Hank Chien, the current DK world record holder, was there for the tournament this year. Regardless, many participants are "casual" players (I think my final rank was something like 35th). There is another similar event coming up at Pinball Wizard in Pehlam NH very soon. So if you can make it down, I highly suggest doing so.

Ok, thanks for the info. I would absolutely love to make it down to one of those events some day. Maybe if I can find a partner in crime to travel with.