PDA

View Full Version : On Live is giving away their TV hardware with a preorder of Red Faction

wongojack
05-05-11, 06:33
OnLive is a gaming service that lets you play games without installing them on your own computer. Essentially you play over a web interface.

They offer a device that is normally $100 to do the same thing on your TV and right now that is free with a pre-order of Red Faction.

I'm considering doing this just because I should try out this service.

FYI - OnLive costs nothing to join but you pay to play games . . . .

http://www.onlive.com/#1

Dhalamar
06-05-11, 03:33
You don't technically have to pay to PLAY most of the games, they give you a one hour trial. And there are constantly $5 Fridays. I think using Onlive would work BETTER with the device's controller just because, even on a fast internet connection, there's an irritating amount of lag with aiming that's reminiscent of a controller's analog sticks. On games like Batman or Mafia 2 (both of which I have through them heh) it's not a big deal. But I could never imagine playing something like Unreal Tournament on that thing using the mouse.

And you have to pay shipping/handling and tax on the system itself if you go through this deal. :P So it's *kinda* free. They've done this before with a pre-order ... I just can't remember which game it was.

wongojack
06-05-11, 03:52
A friend of mine did it with Homefront, so because I know somebody (now 2 somebodies) I might do it. Slight setback is that I tried to run the software on one of my older PCs and it just wouldn't start . . . .

Dhalamar
06-05-11, 04:41
A friend of mine did it with Homefront, so because I know somebody (now 2 somebodies) I might do it. Slight setback is that I tried to run the software on one of my older PCs and it just wouldn't start . . . .

Well, it won't run on just ANYTHING. You have to have a PC and internet connection that is capable of streaming HD video. Or in the case of the console itself, a fast internet connection. It hates both of my netbooks, and one of them is pretty "modern" having been released last year. lol

wongojack
06-05-11, 05:31
This wasn't a speed problem. I click on the launcher and it throws a generic "application unhandled exception" error

Dhalamar
06-05-11, 05:39
Yay for poorly written software. lol

wongojack
12-05-11, 03:41
This deal is now available for Red Faction: Armageddon (also includes RF: Guerilla) AND they announced the same pre-order deal for Duke Nukem

hiphopcr
12-05-11, 04:36
Super interesting technology. If they were public I'd buy a lot of stock, because I think we'll be seeing this technology in lot's of places in the future (HDTVs and cell phones).