PDA

View Full Version : Iwata says: "Consumers Don't Understand the 3DS"

Flare
29-04-11, 12:12
Sales for the Nintendo 3DS have been underwhelming at best. Now Iwata is blaming us for it.

Nintendo Chief: Consumers Don’t Understand 3DS Yet (http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/138766/20110427/nintendo-3ds-satoru-iwata.htm)

I'm sorry, but f*ck you, Iwata. You condescending a**hole.

We are not idiots. We just don't feel like spending $250 on a handheld that is not even as powerful as the PSP and it's quite more expensive; has no games we want to play, and it makes us sick after playing it for half an hour.

miner2049er
29-04-11, 01:00
You have a point.

Duke.Togo
29-04-11, 01:06
He's right, I don't understand. Why the heck should I buy this at that price? $150 and then we'll talk.

Chris
29-04-11, 04:12
Flare, you have to be kidding me right? The 3DS sold a little over 3 million units in its first month. Nintendo wanted to see it sell 4. I'd hardly call that "underwhelming at best". Secondly, I have yet to meet anyone who has gotten sick playing 3DS. I'm the most motion sick person on the planet. There are several games I can't play on other systems because they make me sick. Yet, I've played plenty 30-40 minute sessions of Pilotwings and I still haven't gotten nauseous.

indieseoul
29-04-11, 12:17
I think Nintendo expected Wii like lines to get their product. They probably thought it would sell three million on the first day and they are just covering their butts by saying they expected 4 million to be sold. To release a statement like that is kind of stupid however since it could negatively affect their stock price if investors think that the 3ds will be a dud. I guess that's why the Wii 2 rumors were confirmed by nintendo to help make up for any loss of revenue caused by Iwata's statement. It's sad to see that the DS lite is being discontinued. The DSI and 3ds have poor battery life.

Dhalamar
29-04-11, 07:36
I always kinda laugh because the stores around here seem to be overstocked on 3DS units. I even saw one of the guys at Wal-Mart dusting the damn things off. lol

Burgertime
29-04-11, 10:33
The tech and development time that went into the 3D screen itself is what I consider the key reason for the system being the price it is. On top of that, the PSP was the same price with it originally launched. I'm using my 3DS almost every single day. Granted I'm not playing 3DS games as much on it, but I have a huge backlog of DS games I can play.

indieseoul
02-05-11, 03:12
It seems to be the trend these days to overprice new console innovations and then when they can finally make it cheaper with inferior parts then they produce another edition and cut the price. Just look at the PS3 and Xbox 360 for examples. The first PS3 had backwards compatibility but they removed it to cut costs. Then they came out with the slim model and Microsoft followed suit. Also Nintendo is different from all of the other console makers they refuse to take losses on the console and sell it at a higher price because they know that like Apple there are a lot of fan boys out there that will make the system sell well in the first few years. Once the fanboys have got their systems then it's time for the tried and true console price reduction. Just sad to see Nintendo continues their trend of rehashing older games and Ip's. I wish that on the game side of things they would take more risks and finally stop relying on rehashes of old characters. I mean how many Legend of Zeldas does a man need? LOL

drthielegood
05-06-11, 03:25
Just finished ranting about this on KLOV earlier today. I have made a pledge to NEVER buy a Nintendo system on launch day ever again. I have no problem with the tech, or the price..but I have a big problem with the small, and mostly lousy, launch window library and the fact that most system functions are inoperative. No web, no eshop, no netflix, not much really. This could turn out to be a really impressive and innovative system in time, but the fact is...the only use I've had for it in the last several weeks has been as a pedometer.

Bob

Chris
05-06-11, 04:10
Just finished ranting about this on KLOV earlier today. I have made a pledge to NEVER buy a Nintendo system on launch day ever again. I have no problem with the tech, or the price..but I have a big problem with the small, and mostly lousy, launch window library and the fact that most system functions are inoperative. No web, no eshop, no netflix, not much really. This could turn out to be a really impressive and innovative system in time, but the fact is...the only use I've had for it in the last several weeks has been as a pedometer.

Bob

Yeah, they certainly should have done a better job with this. I mean, my god, we heard we were getting this in May sometime and they can't even squeak it in at the end of May. I must say though, getting a 3D Excitebike for FREE on Monday is softening the blow. I do believe though that this system will be very exciting very soon. I know this month is Pinball Hall of Fame Williams Collection, which will be awesome in 3D, in addition to Zelda which is an obvious buy. The e-shop is going to be a revolution for Nintendo fans at least, as Nintendo catches up with what the Xbox has done well for years.

drthielegood
07-06-11, 01:38
The thought of the Williams Collection in 3d is tempting...but that would mark the 3rd time I'd have bought it for the 3rd different console. Can't we get the Bally Collection...hey that gives me an idea for a new thread.

meu2
07-06-11, 01:48
That is a bit rich alright. The 3DS is a novel device, but novelty soon wears off. The price is definitely too high and consumers are voting with their wallets. Nintendo will struggle to regain consumer interest unless some more compelling titles come out too.