PDA

View Full Version : C64 modern re-launch

SubaruBrat
07-04-11, 05:19
So the launch of the new line of Commodores was announced, http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/04/07/commodore-64-computer-lives-vintage/?test=faces making you wonder if they are going to sell the laptop without a screen with the Commodore sticker on it (shown 4 years ago), or an actual modernized version. Their website seems to be overwhelmed right now.

I was able to get in with enough tries, it looks like they did a decent job on the case, it is closer to netbook performance (Atom CPU, 2gb ram) than a laptop with a i5 or so. Unless they did something tricky with the keyboard interface you could clearly swap in any PC motherboard you want. They would probably do well selling it as a case kit (w drive and interface options) so you could use whatever motherboard you wanted. Their store is still crashed so well see once it is online. Must be a ton of traffic which is good for them.

retroshaun
07-04-11, 05:29
I really love the "original case" new C64 they launched. Not too sure I really need one but its very cool to have.

Duke.Togo
08-04-11, 01:04
I'm interested based on what I could get from the site, but I had the same problems with their site. I'm curious if the 64x in the old style case is a remake, or just original cases. I have a dead 64 around here, might be easy enough to do myself.

Chris
08-04-11, 01:48
So, does this run original C64 games or something? Or is it just a computer packaged in a C64 box?

SubaruBrat
08-04-11, 02:53
@Chris; They claim you can play your C64 games within minutes. So my guess is that since it runs Linux that they have an EMU with ROMs right on the desktop.

@Duke; It is a new mold that is for sure, there are molded in additions such as the fan bezel and the rear panel cut out. The problem in doing your own is that you would have to interface the C64 keyboard to the PC motherboard, not sure if anyone sells a kit. You probably would not find a keyboard that could fit the stock opening and look remotely OK.

Duke.Togo
08-04-11, 04:42
Now if someone can just shove a PC into a TI-99/4A case, I'd definately be a buyer.

wongojack
08-04-11, 04:36
Seems like CommodoreUSA has been putting these out there for a while. I seem to remember hearing about this more than a year ago. I don't get who they are going to sell them to. I guess I could see some use for businesses that want the keyboard and the pc to be one unit, but for classic gamers this seems like more of a fetish option than a practical device.

Also, I know a lot of the pros of using Linux, but its nice they begrudgingly added support for Windows because troubleshooting Linux problems is only fun for people without jobs (read- takes a lot of time).

All that being said - I can emulate C64 on a laptop from 2001, why do I need this? And if I'm going to buy a new computer, why would it be this one?

retroshaun
08-04-11, 05:18
All that being said - I can emulate C64 on a laptop from 2001, why do I need this? And if I'm going to buy a new computer, why would it be this one?

Coz its cool, thats why! :-)

retroshaun
08-04-11, 08:06
Some more info from CBM CEO, along with the cool relaunch promotional ad:

http://videogamewriters.com/commodore-ceo-talks-newstalgia-c64x-sales-and-retro-gaming-6762

chalksalad
09-04-11, 11:16
I've been wondering if there's a market for all-in-one computers like the 8bits from the 80s. If there's a real need for a keyboard PC that sits next to the HD TV and acts as an easy way to connect to the Internet (for the whole family or when friends are over) or as a media center. ASUS announced something like that a few months ago but I'm not sure if it was ever launched.

I agree having a C64 lookalike in your living room is kinda cool but it all comes down to price. You take the specs of this computer, see how they compare with the competition and add the premium of the unique design to see if it's worth your buck (or euro in my case)

Furthermore I have to say that I'm still not 100% convinced that this wont end up being Vaporware. I need to see and touch to believe.

indieseoul
10-04-11, 01:52
I have to say it has my retro spirit revived. However I won't buy one unless I can connect an old cassette deck to it and write my own programs the old fashioned way with basic. That's what really gets my nostalgia going. Spending all day copying code from a magazine only to have the program not work because you made a typo. If they didn't put a nice synth chip in there it would be disappointing to say the least. :) Might as well get a real commodore 64 off of game gavel or that other auction site.

nmsis1985
11-04-11, 06:58
It looks like in addition to the c64 remake they are also doing some amiga pc's in the same vein (though not in the desktop cases of the 500 / 1200). I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of these, but I can't justify the price at the moment.

Looks like they will be releasing CommodoreOS in the future as well, this is probably a custom version of a linux distro.

indieseoul
03-08-11, 05:37
Looks like they are selling the case alone for 250 bucks. It might be worth it if it is easy to install your own motherboard, hard drive, dvd rom etc. Look at the bare bones model: http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

Builds thread from the C64 forum: http://www.commodore-amiga.org/en/forum/5-commodore-amiga-hardware-wishlist-/3354-barebones-c64-builds

Gordon Bennett
04-08-11, 07:42
I'm not sure about this. I like the look of it and I like the idea, but it appears to be missing a couple of components that could be vital. The keyboard is a sort of hybrid between the Commodore and a PC keyboard, which is understandable given its dual purpose, but it could have been so much better had they printed the PETSCII graphics on the keys. The other point that could have made it truly worthwhile would be a physical SID chip inside. Software emulation of the SID is quite good, but as it is an analogue synthesizer isn't quite perfect. Vice (which is almost certainly what they are using in this) already supports the actual chip. It's a shame to not include one.