PDA

View Full Version : The 3DS dilema

SubaruBrat
19-03-11, 06:19
So I decided since a few listeners and Socal have already jumped onboard the 3DS, what the heck why not pick one up. So I put one in the basket at Amazon and then went to look for a few games. The problem is none of them are compelling and most of them are games I would never pick up. Here is how it breaks down:

Nintendo games:

Pilotwings Resort (Just not interested)
Steel Diver (Just not interested)
Nintendogs + Cats (Yawn)

Third-Party Games:

Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Who cares)
The Sims 3 (Don't like any sims outside of SimCity)
Madden NFL Football (Don't like sports games)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D (Ditto)
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Not interesting enough)
Ridge Racer 3D (Not a fan of racer games, gets boring quick)
Super Monkey Ball 3D (Just not interested)
Bust-A-Move Universe (Just not interested)
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles (Just not interested)
Asphalt 3D (Racer, boring)
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D (Kiddie game)
Rayman 3D (Dumb franchise)
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars (Just not interested)

So I ordered the 3DS, but will have to wait for something good to turn up to play on it. Knowing Nintendo I am sure a killer Mario title is in the works, and that something will come along before too long. I am surprised they didn't go with a sure fire hit like 3D tetris (homage to the Gameboy).

FYI, I just talked to Socal and he said that Best Buy has 3DS on demo if you want to check one out.

I looked ahead at the upcoming releases though and found a few good titles, I have these on Pre-Order.

Pac Man / Galaga Dimensions
Williams Pinball
Mario Kart
Legend of Zelda
Mario 3D (couldn't pre-order yet)

miner2049er
19-03-11, 11:27
In the meantime I would pick up Monkey Ball. You might even enjoy it.

SubaruBrat
19-03-11, 11:37
I didn't like it on the other platform, I can't imagine liking it on this.

Leathco
20-03-11, 12:14
I'm waiting on the first price drop before I buy one. Prolly a year or two after launch. By then it'll have a stronger game library

BydoEmpire73
20-03-11, 03:00
Pac Man / Galaga DimensionsI'll eat my shoe if this isn't some shovelware garbage cashing in on the name. Proceed with caution.

NL-Mike
20-03-11, 03:18
I'm waiting on the first price drop before I buy one. Prolly a year or two after launch. By then it'll have a stronger game library

I was thinking the same thing. Besides the fact that I don't have the money for it right now, Nintendo's been updating the original DS (the silver one, which I own) a bit too soon for my liking, with a better screen and nicer looks etc. (the Lite), so this time I'm first going to sit back and see where it's going.

Dhalamar
20-03-11, 07:31
For me ... Nintendo hasn't released a console or handheld that's interesting since the SNES. Great GAMES for the consoles and handhelds after that ... 90% made by Nintendo with almost pure shit for third party support ...

The same old franchises can only be redone so many times, they stick to their guns. Mario is obvious, Zelda is obvious along with Metroid. They haven't done anything new that means something in fuckall knows how long.

MS and Sony move forward, or at least try their hardest. Nintendo sticks to what they have without ever trying anything REALLY new. And it's gotten boring. I'm sick of buying a Nintendo console or handheld and relying on Nintendo for (for the most part. House of the Dead Overkill for the muthaf'in win) the awesome games.

SubaruBrat
20-03-11, 12:41
I'll eat my shoe if this isn't some shovelware garbage cashing in on the name. Proceed with caution.

I have some reservations as well, on one hand I think that it seems out pretty quickly to have been done right, on the other hand it is only a few kb of code and some pretty simple graphics. How long could it take to do a 3D version. I took it as a "we'll see" pick. I think the platform has allot of potential, but the really cool stuff probably won't appear until close to Xmass. Of the other ones I ordered the Williams pinball has had a solid appearance on other systems, Mario Kart is probably a very heavy effort at an early flagship title and should be good And I imagine that Zelda will be a decent adaptation but nothing amazing, something on the order of the DS port of Mario 64.

meu2
22-03-11, 03:52
The Nintendo 3DS tour came to Dublin last weekend and I got a chance to play a number of the games. I have to say that I was pretty underwhelmed overall. The 3D works, but it wasn't a game changer for me and I actually found it tired my eyes out pretty fast.

The games themselves really didn't offer anything new either. The best of the bunch was Ocarina of Time, but that's purely because its such a good game to start with. It's a nice port, but the 3D really didn't make much of a difference to the experience.

Nintendogs+cats was very poor. The action now takes places on the top screen while you interact with the pets on the touch screen. This creates a disconnect in how you interact with the pet and results in a less immersive experience.

Pilotwings was okay, but certainly felt like a cheaply produced title. Having only one island, the same Island from Wii Sports resort, comes across as Nintendo only providing minimum content.

Kid Icarus was probably the mot graphically advanced game on show, but it was only marginally better than a PSP game. The controls were a mix between buttons and stylus aiming, which I found really awkward so I didn't enjoy it much.

The ARGames were mildly fun and a nice novelty, but none of them had much more than five minute appeal.

The other games there, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, Pro Evolution Soccer and Ridge Racer, where again PSP level games with the added 3D effect.

I notice that the dual screen, touch screen, microphone and motion controls have taken a back seat here to the 3D screen. I suspect the touch screen in particular is going to see a lot less important for the DS going forward and of course there probably won't be anymore non-standard DS orientation games (like Brain Training and Project Rub).

I pretty much buy everything Nintendo make, but I won't be picking up the 3DS at launch.

hiphopcr
22-03-11, 04:04
So is this thing gonna be a super success or not? I have to say, I am very ambivalent about it now, and wish super powered cell phones and the tablets I don't think I'll ever buy a portable gaming device again.

meu2
22-03-11, 04:44
I'm sure it will be a success, thanks to the fact that its getting in early on the glasses free 3D tech, though probably not as much as the original DS in the long run. There is definitely a place for dedicated handheld gaming, the fact most smartphones don't even have buttons insures that, but the price point is just too high for what's on offer with 3DS.

Leathco
22-03-11, 05:36
Me and my wife went to Best Buy to try it out. I was mostly OK with it, but it hurt my wifes eyes, she couldn't play it for more than a few minutes. As for myself, I could see the 3d effect nicely, but I also saw some kind of rainbow effect in the screen as well.

Nous
24-03-11, 02:38
Yikes! (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-24-why-the-nintendo-3ds-costs-GBP230-article)

As Castaldo says, Nintendo's desire to make a profit on the gadget is perfectly reasonable. But how much, exactly, is it raking in?

According to a "preliminary estimate" handed to Eurogamer by David Carey, VP of technical intelligence for UBM TechInsights, the cost of the system's raw materials comes in at $101 per unit (around 61.76). That equates to around a $15 (around 9.17) increase over the DSi, which launched in 2009 for 149.

Compare that to the 3DS's initial 230 asking price and you wouldn't be blamed for smelling a rat.

So ... the 3DS apparently costs Nintendo 61.76 per unit to make!

SubaruBrat
24-03-11, 03:34
That is just the components, you have to add in all the other costs to include the tooling and research which has to be distributed over the units sold. The wholesale cost is probably $190 or so with the retailer and nintendo each making about $60.

Nous
24-03-11, 04:48
Tooling and distribution costs are insignificant (when dealing with very large numbers - economies of scale) and research cost is highly dependent on how unique, proprietary or cutting edge a product is.

To put it in perspective, the exact same argument (only worse) applies to a *much* higher-spec, more proprietary, harder to manufacture (unique properties and components) device such as, say, the iPod Touch 4 (selling for $200 - 159 on amazon) - I'm sure there's an "Apple tax" in that too, but obviously it's a much more expensive product to make yet it costs less to buy.

Just interesting how "Nintendo Tax" is so much greater than "Apple Tax" these days ... scary!

Chris
25-03-11, 05:36
This is nothing new for Nintendo, they are so frugal, to a fault. The company is made for money-making, which I guess is a good thing when you have a business. It's a testament to their penny-pinching that they are able to do something like 3DS for so little cost. I would like to see Nintendo go a little further in terms of hardware and/or improving battery life, but I can't argue with their success in the last 7 years.

GameGavel
26-03-11, 03:15
I got an automated message from GameStop reminding me that my 3DS pre-order can be picked up on Sunday. For some reason I was thinking it would be a Tues/Wed release like the games. Totally can't for Sunday to arrive, I must admit! Are there any games in stores yet?

Chris
26-03-11, 03:45
I got an automated message from GameStop reminding me that my 3DS pre-order can be picked up on Sunday. For some reason I was thinking it would be a Tues/Wed release like the games. Totally can't for Sunday to arrive, I must admit! Are there any games in stores yet?

Cool Socal, we need to exchange codes. I think some games are out, none of the first party stuff as I understand it. Hey, Dual Screen Radio is having a "goodbye to DS, hello to 3ds" special live tomorrow night at 9 EST. Please stop by if you have a chance!

GameGavel
26-03-11, 04:20
Cool Socal, we need to exchange codes. I think some games are out, none of the first party stuff as I understand it. Hey, Dual Screen Radio is having a "goodbye to DS, hello to 3ds" special live tomorrow night at 9 EST. Please stop by if you have a chance!

Thanks, I will check it out. How and where are they broadcasting this?

SubaruBrat
26-03-11, 05:48
Dual Screen Radio

Who?

Chris
26-03-11, 02:07
Thanks, I will check it out. How and where are they broadcasting this?

Just go to http://reviewlagoon.com/show.php when the time is right. If I'm available at that time, I will probably be there on Skype too.

Who?

Haha, yeah I know, first show in a looooooooong time. But I think really this is just a final wrap up of all things DS as the 3DS comes along. I'd love to see you there Scott, and anyone else here! Nothing but love for the RGR show, I'm so thankful to have something of that caliber to listen to every month.

SubaruBrat
26-03-11, 06:21
Think you'll be spinning it back up full time? There is a whole new world now!

Nous
26-03-11, 06:58
This is nothing new for Nintendo, they are so frugal, to a fault. The company is made for money-making, which I guess is a good thing when you have a business. It's a testament to their penny-pinching that they are able to do something like 3DS for so little cost. I would like to see Nintendo go a little further in terms of hardware and/or improving battery life, but I can't argue with their success in the last 7 years.

If you're a Nintendo employee or shareholder sure this is a good thing (money-making AKA profit-maximising-no-matter-what approach).

If you're a consumer, the fact that "Nintendo Tax" is now much greater than EVEN the much hated "Apple Tax" is definitely something to think about.

I don't know what exactly you mean by "Nintendo has managed to make something like this for that cost" - something like what exactly?

In this case, the only thing of concern is that the spec is at best as capable as that of a 6 year old PSP - so far, in practice, it's somewhere between an iPod touch 2nd gen and a PSP. We'll see what the implications of this, as well as the limited (and limiting) use of 3D and battery life are going to be in terms of wave 2 and wave 3 adoption rates (after the early adopters are done) in terms of console pricing, games pricing, outside competition and so on.

Perhaps 3DS lite might come sooner than later for these reasons. I'm sure that, together with a price cut and increased battery life, will make many gamers much happier - at the end of the day isn't this what it SHOULD be about?

Chris
26-03-11, 09:21
Think you'll be spinning it back up full time? There is a whole new world now!

I think you think I'm Chris Hentschel (sp?). I'm Chris Evans.

miner2049er
26-03-11, 11:54
Not just Chris Evans, but THE Chris Evans.

GameGavel
27-03-11, 12:58
Just played the 3DS at Target. And I think Pilot Wings is a trip. Took off in the water with the Sea Plane and damn is feels cool leaving the ground behind and flying through and around all the buildings and stuff on the island. I think the 3D is hella cool and completely convincing. I can't wait until tomorrow! I haven't seen one since last years E3 and I think it looks better than ever.

I am going to pick up Pilot Wings, Street Fighter for sure. And maybe Puzzle Bobble and Steel Diver if they are out.

Chris
27-03-11, 01:08
Not just Chris Evans, but THE Chris Evans.

Thank you! Yes, I'm not the British Chris Evans, nor am I the actor Chris Evans (though it was cool to see my name trending on yahoo a few hours ago). I'm from Video Masters TV and created The Retro Machine.

SubaruBrat
27-03-11, 03:06
Yeah, I meant to say any chance you think they will spin it up, stepped on my words

hiphopcr
28-03-11, 03:17
Thank you! Yes, I'm not the British Chris Evans, nor am I the actor Chris Evans (though it was cool to see my name trending on yahoo a few hours ago). I'm from Video Masters TV and created The Retro Machine.
Yeah dude, you're the most famous Chris Evans! Screw all the other posers!

Nous
29-03-11, 05:07
An interesting, slightly contrarian review of the 3DS

Look Ma, it's autostereoscopic! (http://www.brainygamer.com/the_brainy_gamer/2011/03/look-ma-its-autostereoscopic-.html)

Nous
29-03-11, 05:15
Cost without Cost (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33761/New_3DS_Teardown_Corroborates_100_Bill_Of_Material s_Report.php)

Supply chain research firm IHS iSuppli found that the total bill of materials adds up to $100.71. Including a $2.54 per unit manufacturing cost, the total cost to produce the handheld comes to $103.25, compared to a U.S. MSRP of $250.

The new bill of materials estimate, released yesterday, is nearly identical to a report last week that found that the platform's raw materials alone cost $101.

IHS iSuppli said the 3DS' bill of materials is 33 percent higher in cost compared to the 3DS predecessor, Nintendo DSi, at the time of that platform's launch two years ago. The DSi launched with a bill of materials of $75.58, the research firm said (it retailed for $169.99 in the U.S.).

IHS iSuppli's teardown includes the cost of not only the components of the 3DS itself, but also the charger, box, packaging and literature, stylus, cables and other extras costs.

The combined cost of the upper 3D stereoscopic display and the lower touch screen -- both from Sharp -- is $33.80, making them together the most expensive components.

Mechanical and electromechanical components including wiring, plastics, metals, connectors and so forth were next most expensive after the displays, costing $20.81, the firm said. IHS iSuppli believes the dual core processor in the 3DS is manufactured by Sharp and costs $10.02.

IHS iSuppli also noted that the bill of materials and manufacturing cost do not take into account "soft" costs associated with the 3DS, including software, licensing, royalties and other non-hardware costs.

Again, not surprising, except when you begin to realise that Nintendo Tax > Apple Tax !

Chris
29-03-11, 06:52
Sounds like Nintendo is pretty freakin' smart. They've made a console that (1) costs them very little, (2) makes them money rather than costs them money, and (3) is coveted by a huge market that Nintendo has created by making quality products. You'd almost think that they were in business to make money!

Nous
29-03-11, 07:02
Sounds like Nintendo is pretty freakin' smart. They've made a console that (1) costs them very little, (2) makes them money rather than costs them money, and (3) is coveted by a huge market that Nintendo has created by making quality products. You'd almost think that they were in business to make money!Everyone is, after all, right? That's why I said "not very surprising".

Similarly we, as consumers, are in the business of getting maximum bang for our buck!

That's why an open market and an informed consumer promote healthy competition, improved products, better services AND lower prices - it's ultimately good for all of us who don't have a vested interest in any given company !

Certain companies may not like it when there's increased competition that leads to the inevitable comparisons and a downward pressure on prices.

Remember it's all about balancing the greed to maximise profits and the need to do that in a competitive environment. Greed unchecked is never good for the consumer.

Either way .. interesting facts. Who would've thunk it, right? Given Apple's "Tax" reputation and Nintendo's traditional insistence on practicality, longevity and affordability, this is almost an unbelievable turn of events. Almost a reversal, one might say.

Chris
29-03-11, 07:15
Everyone is, after all, right? That's why I said "not very surprising".

Similarly we, as consumers, are in the business of getting maximum bang for our buck!

That's why an open market and an informed consumer promote healthy competition, improved products, better services AND lower prices - it's ultimately good for all of us who don't have a vested interest in any given company !

Remember it's all about balancing the greed to maximise profits and the need to do that in a competitive environment. Greed unbounded is never good for the consumer.

Either way .. interesting facts. Who would've thunk it, right? Given Apple's "Tax" reputation and Nintendo's traditional insistence on practicality, longevity and affordability, this is almost an unbelievable turn of events. Almost a reversal, one might say.

To me, it's nothing new. I've never bought any console from any company where I said "wow, that's cheap, that's a good price for that". Except for when I got my SNES for free before the US launch, that was nice.

Nous
29-03-11, 07:36
To me, it's nothing new. I've never bought any console from any company where I said "wow, that's cheap, that's a good price for that". Except for when I got my SNES for free before the US launch, that was nice.Nobody is happy no matter how "cheap" something is - everyone wants it for free, right? Even when a product is sold at a loss we still like to bitch and moan as if someone else was actually making a killing at our expense - even when the opposite might be true.

We do actually often bitch about expensive product, "apple taxation", sony arrogance and what not. It's nothing new, I agree. But it's getting worse and in this case the offender is somewhat unexpected!

Reversal of roles or just basking in the arrogant luminance of "competing without competing" for far too long?

I'm curious as to the longer term consequences of this. Is this kind of overpricing sustainable?

Is a price cut inevitable sooner than later?

What about a "lite" refresh, enhanced features, fixing the flaws (battery life, etc), would it now become a necessity in order to better compete without losing much of the audience or having to compromise their explicitly stated goal to keep prices as high as possible (both a Reggie statement, on the record, and an Iwata rant at GDC).

I really wonder.

P.S. I'm not expecting anyone to answer these questions. Time will tell.

Nous
29-03-11, 08:57
P.S. I'm not expecting anyone to answer these questions. Time will tell.

Nintendo has just announced the 3DS has had more day-1 sales than any of their previous handhelds (no specific numbers yet though).

I guess this means they're not going to have much trouble selling the previously predicted (http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2010/09/nintendo_predicts_4_million_3ds_units_to_sell_in_d ebut_month) 4 million 3DS consoles by the end of this fiscal year (i.e. within the next 2 days or so).

Right ?

Leathco
29-03-11, 09:23
I'll prolly pick one up once they hit the 150 dollar mark.

Nous
29-03-11, 09:31
I'll prolly pick one up once they hit the 150 dollar mark.Which would still be a perfectly profitable price point.

Let's wait and see.

CargoRunner
14-06-11, 07:19
Well, I hate to be a party pooper about the 3DS, but I have had my 3DS since launch and the hardware may be good but the games are just totally disappointing. It was a very bad buy.

If the system is more powerful than the DS then there is no sign of it in the new games. I have rented most of the launch titles and they are just bad DS games. The 3D looks really good at times, like in nintendogs when the dog jumps out of the screen to lick you. But the more the 3D is coming towards you, the more fragile the 3D is. I took some photos of my nintendog jumping out of screen and it takes a while for my brain to see the photo in 3D. Photos where the 3D is just into the distance are 3D instantly and not so fragile.

Face raiders gets the best reaction from friends. I like the AR cards and the visual affects in does on the surroundings.

I would not recommend the 3DS to anyone at the moment, unless you got a fantastic deal. The RRP is 229 and I got mine at launch for 200. I have heard there has been deals for 150 recently and some places have sold off the launch games super cheap.

I was waiting for Ocarina, but the demo they just released put me off. A bit like excite bike. The games are designed for a big screen. The sprites are just so small on the DS screen the game is not so fun on the mobile platform. I was tempted to buy the gameboy mario, but it is a bit overpriced.

The 3D pokedex is a good little ap though. So maybe there is hope Nintendo will one day support this platform. I think they have totally under supported this platform and have probably been been writing wii u games instead.

I wish I had saved my money and waited until some good games comes out to get a good bundle deal. I can't believe Nintendo released an expensive new system with no killer app/show case game like wii sports, new mario or new zelda. Sadly mine is now just gathering a thick layer of dust!

miner2049er
14-06-11, 08:41
It's funny, most of the early adopters are the kind who will love the 3DS no matter how good or bad it is.

I think I would be of a similar opinion to you if I owned one at this stage.

It's the kind of upgrade I'd get if my DS Lite broke.

Chris
15-06-11, 01:09
Well, I hate to be a party pooper about the 3DS, but I have had my 3DS since launch and the hardware may be good but the games are just totally disappointing. It was a very bad buy.

If the system is more powerful than the DS then there is no sign of it in the new games. I have rented most of the launch titles and they are just bad DS games. The 3D looks really good at times, like in nintendogs when the dog jumps out of the screen to lick you. But the more the 3D is coming towards you, the more fragile the 3D is. I took some photos of my nintendog jumping out of screen and it takes a while for my brain to see the photo in 3D. Photos where the 3D is just into the distance are 3D instantly and not so fragile.

Face raiders gets the best reaction from friends. I like the AR cards and the visual affects in does on the surroundings.

I would not recommend the 3DS to anyone at the moment, unless you got a fantastic deal. The RRP is 229 and I got mine at launch for 200. I have heard there has been deals for 150 recently and some places have sold off the launch games super cheap.

I was waiting for Ocarina, but the demo they just released put me off. A bit like excite bike. The games are designed for a big screen. The sprites are just so small on the DS screen the game is not so fun on the mobile platform. I was tempted to buy the gameboy mario, but it is a bit overpriced.

The 3D pokedex is a good little ap though. So maybe there is hope Nintendo will one day support this platform. I think they have totally under supported this platform and have probably been been writing wii u games instead.

I wish I had saved my money and waited until some good games comes out to get a good bundle deal. I can't believe Nintendo released an expensive new system with no killer app/show case game like wii sports, new mario or new zelda. Sadly mine is now just gathering a thick layer of dust!

You're not being a party pooper, its just different strokes for different folks. I do think the launch lineup was fairly bare, but the system has really taken off since last week for me. After Nintendo revealing the incredible lineup of first party games that are coming this year, I have no qualms about owning a 3DS. Especially with Mario Kart coming, Kevin Cassidy says that the Mario Kart tracks on the 3DS game are by far the best he has ever seen. Retro (the studio behind DKC Returns) designed the tracks and he said they are full of life and far better than the tracks Nintendo has made in the past for the series. Luigi's Mansion 2, well, that sells me right there. Ocarina coming this week, Pinball Hall of Fame coming soon, Super Mario 3DS....can't complain.