PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Boston

Avigeyl
16-02-11, 10:44
Hey guys, long time listener (since the very beginning actually...), finally decided to join the forum...

I'm actually a French expatriate, my first system was the fantastic Amstrad CPC 464 (aahh, to be able to copy games with a dual tape deck....), then the also fantastic Atari 1040 STfm (inherited from my brother when he got his Macintosh Classic, ah ! did I win on that trade...) then switched to PCs after that, from the venerable 386DX (with the Turbo button, pushing a hair raising 66Mhz) to the current i7... Console wise, I went from the 2600 to the Megadrive (yes, the Megadrive, Genesis IS the name of a band, see, who says the Brits and the French can't agree ? :LD), which I had imported from Japan, as the Japanese models were significantly faster than the European PAL models, for whatever reason... Got an N64 a bit later, just to be able to play Ocarina of Time... Then went to the Playstation for a bit, Dreamcast, PS2 and finally the Wii... Will eventually get to the PS3, for the eye candy and the Blu-Ray player... Arcade wise, my friends and I used to spend obscene amounts of money at the local arcade, Final Fight and Golden Axe in particular... I was never that much into pinball, as I'm really terrible at it, but I did really enjoy the later games, Twilight Zone and especially Theater of Magic...

That's for my gaming "pedigree"... LOVE the show, the 5-6 hour format being awesome as I commute far from home... Keep up the good work guys !

miner2049er
16-02-11, 11:24
Hey guys, long time listener (since the very beginning actually...), finally decided to join the forum...

What took so long?

the fantastic Amstrad CPC 464

Check my blog posts for a write up on it, it's one of my most viewed blogs here.

the Megadrive, Genesis IS the name of a band

Quite right.

who says the Brits and the French can't agree ? :LD)

The Brits and the French usually ;)

Got an N64 a bit later, just to be able to play Ocarina of Time...

Our next Top Ten is the N64, but will your game be in it?

I used to spend obscene amounts of money at the local arcade

I like to spend obscene amounts in Creperies.

hiphopcr
17-02-11, 05:33
As a Lakers fan born and raised in So. Cal, I've been conditioned to hate all things Boston. But now that we have a common enemy (LeGay and his boyfriends), I welcome you and will be rooting for you come the Eastern Conference Finals! (when we meet up in the Finals we may resume our respectful hatred of one another ;))

Flare
17-02-11, 06:03
I don't know much about Boston, but I remember seeing it in a few movies and it's always a different view of the city depending on the film.

The movies "The Social Network" and "21" show a quite clean, classic, historical town but the movies Gone Baby Gone and The Town show a much darker view. Maybe it's different areas of Massachussets altogether and I just don't know.

Still, my wife and I have said we would love to go visit that city one day.

miner2049er
17-02-11, 07:12
A few Brits do city breaks there.

Burgertime
17-02-11, 09:02
Well hello from the North Shore of Massachusetts ^_^
I've gone over 15 years of having my license never driving into Boston. Have always either taking a bus in, or someone else drove.

retroshaun
17-02-11, 11:05
As a Lakers fan born and raised in So. Cal, I've been conditioned to hate all things Boston. But now that we have a common enemy (LeGay and his boyfriends), I welcome you and will be rooting for you come the Eastern Conference Finals! (when we meet up in the Finals we may resume our respectful hatred of one another ;))

And as a die hard Heat fan I have to scoff in your general direction! bring it on :-)

retroshaun
17-02-11, 11:07
I've gone over 15 years of having my license never driving into Boston. Have always either taking a bus in, or someone else drove.

We lived in Boston for a year - you are fortunate to live in a part of the country where public transport actually exists, or is at least a partially viable form of transport. Unlike the Bay Area! :-)

Avigeyl
18-02-11, 03:02

Haha, sorry, but basketball has about as much appeal to me as the regional championship of curling...

I don't know much about Boston, but I remember seeing it in a few movies and it's always a different view of the city depending on the film.

The movies "The Social Network" and "21" show a quite clean, classic, historical town but the movies Gone Baby Gone and The Town show a much darker view. Maybe it's different areas of Massachussets altogether and I just don't know.

Still, my wife and I have said we would love to go visit that city one day.

You're quite right, downtown really has this classical, almost European feel to it, and is definitely worth visiting, and as with any major city, the outskirt shows a very different side...

Hello ! I understand all to well, I try to take the T as much as possible when going into town myself... I don't even mind driving in all that much, if anything, I really love seeing the skyline of the city as you drive on I93, I do have issues with the $20/hour parking though... ;-)

hiphopcr
18-02-11, 05:04
And as a die hard Heat fan I have to scoff in your general direction! bring it on :-)
I don't want to hijack this thread, but would you have announced that you're "a die hard Heat fan" 8 months ago? ;)

Flare
18-02-11, 05:39
I don't want to hijack this thread, but would you have announced that you're "a die hard Heat fan" 8 months ago? ;)

Lebron-athon-a-bonanza... great thread.

retroshaun
18-02-11, 08:46

Absolutely - would have announced it 15 years ago. I'm far from a bandwagon jumper. If I was I would also not admit to being a Dolphins fan the last 20 years. I was there in the Championship Season a few years ago. I live on the West coast and travel to games every year. Have been doing that since the mid 90s when I made the trip from the UK to Miami every year. I think thats die hard!

Brumisator
10-02-12, 10:45
Salutations à toi, ami francophone, j'espère que tu a encore assez de sang ancestral en toi pour décrypter mes dires.
Que ta venue soit fêtée au quatres coins du ouèbe!

EDIT: Oops! I dind'T see how old this thread was, or how I even got here. Well froggy welcomes nevertheless.