PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 27 - Ivagination

miner2049er
29-01-11, 05:56
The January show is on the shelves! Well, on our site anyway, and on its way to an iTunes near you.

We hope you enjoy our Military Special Themed Show (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2011/roundup027_2011.01.htm).

Editorial - (00:00)
It Came From MAME - (15:27)
Guinness Gaming Records - (28:34)
Jay Golden Interview - (33:30)
Top Ten Military Themed Games - (57:16)
Hardware Flashback - (185:09)
The British Hour - (228:57)
News And Mailbag - (238:32)
Gaming Trivia - (361:39)
URLS And Emails - (362:05)

As always, See the shownotes (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2011/roundup027_2011.01.htm) page. Donate (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) to the show.
Join our Facebook Group (http://www.facebook.com/RetroGamingRoundup). Listen to the November Outtakes (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/roundups/2011/RoundUp027_Outtakes.mp3).

indieseoul
29-01-11, 07:09
Awesome downloaded with my app because the pod-catcher didn't update fast enough. Time to get a needle full of retro goodness! Or perhaps a crack spoon LOL.

Cynicaster
29-01-11, 07:10
Awesome. Shall grab it shortly.

saberman
30-01-11, 05:01
Cool - the return of the british hour :).

RetroPom
30-01-11, 07:10
2 hours in - and loving it:)

miner2049er
30-01-11, 08:50
Cool - the return of the british hour :).

... with a twist. ;)

Gordon Bennett
31-01-11, 09:50
Another smashing show as always. By the way, I followed the link to that C64 pixels page. Those are indeed actual Commodore 64 screens. Some might have been drawn on a PC or Amiga first then converted over and retouched, but every one is taken directly from the real (or emulated) machine. It amazes me to see how far that hardware has been pushed over the years.

saberman
05-02-11, 12:47
Great show guys but what happened to Battle Zone in the top ten? That was modified for the military surly that should make it number one? I was honestly really surprised it wasn't in there.

Great editorial as well I have donated to the British Legion.

Burgertime
08-02-11, 10:49
I've been listing in bits and chunks the past few days. Fantastic episode.
I'm surprising my wife tonight by taking her to that arcade in New Hampshire that you guys mentioned in the news (haven't heard you mention it, but I saw it in the show notes).

Duke.Togo
09-02-11, 12:58
UK Derek gets his own spot? Can a UK Margaret cameo be far behind?

Good show guys, and made me go back and enjoy playing a few "big dot shooters."

Burgertime
09-02-11, 05:15
Just got back from checking Pinball Wizard Arcade, and all I can say is "Wow". Fantastic place with a ton of great games. They're even getting suggestions from people to see what would be worth getting in, and the word from the manager is that there's a Blazblue machine being custom build by the owner.

It was down tonight, but on top priority to be fixed, was their Ice Cold Beer.

miner2049er
09-02-11, 10:46
Sounds promising and hopefully it won't be a fly by night place and be gone next week.

retroshaun
10-02-11, 02:06
Great show guys! By the way, the link to the Telegraph article - the point was the ridiculous over-valuing of old computers... as quoted below:

"Old computers and mobile phones that no longer work could fetch prices of up to 135,000, according to a report by Bonhams. International museums are keen to snap up a first-generation home computer such as a Spectrum, Atari, BBC Micro and Apple - available from the 1970s - and are prepared to pay high prices. A London auction in November this year saw the very first Apple computer, the Apple 1, sell for 150,000 and a new website is offering to take similar items off people's hands and sell them on. "

More sensationalist reporting... they even mention a website "willing to take your old unwanted crap and sell it on for you". For a tidy profit no doubt :)

Looks like I am sitting on a small fortune of old crap :)

GameGavel
10-02-11, 02:12
Glad everyone is enjoying the January episode. Now to get the Feb episode going :)

saberman
13-02-11, 01:45
UK Derek gets his own spot? Can a UK Margaret cameo be far behind?

I thought the British hour was fantastic. I was sniggering like Finbarr Saunders watching a Carry On film.

miner2049er
13-02-11, 02:25
LOL, I wonder how many of our US counterparts know who Finbarr Saunders (http://tinyurl.com/4l4suu3) is.

SubaruBrat
13-02-11, 07:57
Only a barrister from Cardiff wouldn't know who Finbarr Sanders is.

GarrickGreathouse
19-02-11, 04:23
I've been away from the forums for a while now. I didn't even get a chance to respond to your mention on the December show. Anyway you can all relax, I'm back. Also, I've fineshed no less than four Bell's Java Stouts tonight, so I'm a bit at ease.

I am always shocked at the RGR crew knowledge of American and European retro gaming scene. I've said this a million times, but I know a metric spunk ton about the Japanese side of the retro scene. However I can always count on the RGR crew to drop the weird shit that the Nintendo hipsters have forgotten about.

"This month we have an interview with Bil Hignosoflam, the man in charge of porting Amiga games to the Sega Genesis for Electronic Arts from 1991 to 1993." or a 45 minute segment about the evils of lead free solder.

I will now start reading the thread for this episode. I do need to stress how much the RGR crew needs to buy XBox 360's. You guys are all really, really missing out on some amazing "easy to learn" modern games than you could be playing with your fans. Or is it that your scared I'd? :)

miner2049er
19-02-11, 10:23
I do need to stress how much the RGR crew needs to buy XBox 360's.

Honestly, I don't, I've seen them cheap and I've been offered them on forums etc. I'm afraid it holds no interest for me in single player and I would not pay for an online service on top to experience multi player.

You guys are all really, really missing out on some amazing "easy to learn" modern games than you could be playing with your fans.

It's not the "too many buttons" thing, I can learn modern games just fine, I just don't want to play them. That's a fairly sweeping statement obviously, but for the most part it's true.

I'm not saying I'll never own one but I don't feel the need yet.

Or is it that your scared I'd? :)

Actually, yes, that's it.

indieseoul
19-02-11, 02:33
Sometimes it's difficult to get into a new gaming system. I played games as a child mostly on the NES, Snes, and Genesis. I played Atari games a few times at my cousins house before I owned my first console which was a NES. I dabbled a bit with games on my Commodore 64 but I used it mainly for programming projects. After my Genesis I bought a Sony playstation but after about a year of playing it I completely gave up gaming.

I skipped out on the N64 never had a Saturn or dreamcast and didn't own another console for about 5 years. Then I got a PS2 and played around with it for a few years mostly playing sports titles and the occasional action game or GTA. I still say that GTA Vice City is the best one ever made. I stopped playing games completely for another 5 years and about three years ago I bought a psp. After hacking it and playing around with old retro games I caught the gaming fever again. These days I spend my time playing games on my Japanese Snes Jr, Nintendo 64, Korean original modded xbox, psp, PS3, and Xbox 360. I rarely play my Nintendo DS. It just gets used for making bad animations and the occasional game of Mario Kart.

I played a few games online in the past but it was never really that enjoyable for me. I would much rather have a drunken game night with my friends then play some noisy kid online. I never thought that I would get into mobile phone gaming either but now I find myself playing angry birds on my Android all the time while commuting. I like to look at a person's gaming life as a continuum. There are times in your life when your gaming habits change.

I have a feeling that Miner2049er might pick up the new Sony NGP in a few years and find out that he likes modern games. Who knows? It's good that he's a cranky old man set in his ways! It makes the podcast more enjoyable. :) Hey Miner there are some kids on your lawn you better go chase them away! :)

miner2049er
19-02-11, 03:49
No need to chase them, the bags of dog shit I throw at them usually does the trick.

I see games as I see other types of media such as music and films. Older ones are better but there is a valid place and audience for new ones.

Every so often I hear a song or a new band and I like them, but they are the gems in an ever deeper sea of crap, but that's fine, the crap isn't aimed at me so I ignore it.

I watched Twilight with my family recently, and my kids loved it, thought it was brilliant. My wife and I both thought it was terrible, the story was OK but it was the way it was shot, the way it cut from one scene to another, the way it used camera angles, man it was terrible to the point of nauseating. Again, that's fine, if kids today can watch that, let them. I won't watch it and I'm cool with that.

There is a TV soap on here every day I think called Hollyoaks and that is shot in a similar way with cuts from one scene to another and loud music over scenes and I find it unbearable but my kids have it on series link.

Games are the same, the occasional modern one I might want to play doesn't warrant the cost of the console or the extra online fees. I'll pass.

I tried to sign up for steam after Josh gave me the low down on it, but after 3 days of trying and getting an error saying try again later I thought F*** it. I don't even want to, but like Indie says, I may pick a console up in a few years. I see it as the Circle of Life. Now where have I read that phrase recently?

GameGavel
19-02-11, 05:53
As I've said, I have a Wii and a PS3 which I have been playing lately - Still chomping through the first Uncharted. Looking forward to Portal 2 and some others. Our show is a retro show, so even if we play more modern day systems we won't really talk about them. There are crap loads of podcasts already doing that, anyhow.

Leathco
20-02-11, 12:43
I recently put custom firmware on my PS3 and enjoying emulators on it. Also, really enjoying my free 360. I paid 10 dollars for a triple pack of Dead Rising, Lost Planet, and Devil May Cry 4. DMC4 is kinda.....not my style, but the other two games are really fun.

GarrickGreathouse
20-02-11, 02:37
Games are the same, the occasional modern one I might want to play doesn't warrant the cost of the console or the extra online fees. I'll pass.

So, have you actually played these games, or are you making snap judgments? Have you sat down and played Pac-Man Champion Edition DX, Assassins Creed 2, Borderlands or Forza 3?

GarrickGreathouse
20-02-11, 02:40
I tried to sign up for steam after Josh gave me the low down on it, but after 3 days of trying and getting an error saying try again later I thought F*** it. I don't even want to, but like Indie says, I may pick a console up in a few years. I see it as the Circle of Life. Now where have I read that phrase recently?

Oh, I don't even want to hear that argument! Don't pretend you never had floppy disks with hand written autoexec.bat and config.sys files, or the great himem.sys battles of the early 90's.

GarrickGreathouse
20-02-11, 02:41
As I've said, I have a Wii and a PS3 which I have been playing lately - Still chomping through the first Uncharted. Looking forward to Portal 2 and some others. Our show is a retro show, so even if we play more modern day systems we won't really talk about them. There are crap loads of podcasts already doing that, anyhow.

Have you had a chance to play Pac-Man Champion Edition DX? The one that came out late last year?

Leathco
20-02-11, 02:42
So, have you actually played these games, or are you making snap judgments? Have you sat down and played Pac-Man Champion Edition DX, Assassins Creed 2, Borderlands or Forza 3?

Assassins Creed 1 was a brilliant game, I bought it for PS3.

2....not so much. I played the 360 version at a friends house, on an HDTV. The game plays in 1080p fine normally, but when you go to talk to someone, or for cutscenes, the TV blinked, and switched to 720p. After the cutscene, it went back to 1080p. He said he got with tech support about the issue and they said its a known issue, and to solve the problem just switch the TV to 720p. Really? Thats their solution? I got a 1080p TV for a reason, and if the damn game says it outputs 1080p on the back of the box, thats what I expect! And the constant resolution switching was a HUGE annoyance. But why should I change my TV settings for ONE GAME, than change them back for EVERYTHING ELSE?????

-rant over

miner2049er
20-02-11, 02:42
Have you sat down and played Pac-Man Champion Edition DX

Yes. Good game.

Assassins Creed 2

1 but not 2. Hated it.

Borderlands

No

Forza 3?

Yes. Amazing, but not worth buying the console for. I already have Forza 1 and play that occasionally.

tremoloman2006
25-02-11, 08:14
Loved the military episode! I'm now listening to the latest episode... so far, so good! :)

miner2049er
25-02-11, 08:47
Isn't it.

Nice and short first post btw.

Cynicaster
26-02-11, 06:24
Clearly, retro gaming is the "raison d'etre" for this podcast (how's that for some French?), and it's why I listen to it, but I think that being familiar with and having experience with modern games only helps the show. Like, when you're having a discussion about something, sometimes dropping references to current games helps make a point or provide perspective on what you're talking about. Not mandatory, but like I said, it only helps.

Of course, despite the fact that I have a PS3 and play it fairly often, I seem to have a lot in common with UK with respect to how I view modern games. I find I'm becoming quite cynical/skeptical about them. After playing over-hyped junk (in my opinion) like Uncharted 2, I'm always expecting shalllow and boring games with flashy graphics. Yawn.