PDA

View Full Version : G'Day from Downunder

Kombi
18-01-11, 04:31
G'day all fellow Retro fans.
Discovered your podcast from listening to 1up/retronauts podcast just over a month ago. I started from your first episode and currently up to episode 16 (cant believe i listened to the whole drunk M.U.L.E episode it was crap lol)

I was born 1974 just north of Sydney, NSW, Australia, where I still live.
I am a train driver in Sydney (I go over the Harbour bridge a few times a day - which is Awesome to me still) and listen to a radio whilst driving, but because of the tunnels it is always dropping out so I have started listening to podcasts - this Podcast is by far my favourite to listen to.

My gaming history goes something like this:
Parents got a pong when I was very young,
Loved going to the local to shop to play the arcade machine out the front,
Went to friends and my parents friends house to play their Atari 2600's,
Got a Hand held Donkey Kong (Still have it)
Got an after school job and saved up for a Commodore 64, (Still have it)
With a mate would go every friday night to the local Arcade called '4th Dimension' for Happy Hour, cost $3 for 3 hours of Free play on all the Pinballs and Arcade machines.
Parents got a Pinball machine - loved it!
Went to mates houses and played NES and later SNES.
Got for Christmas a Sega Megadrive. (Still have it)

Now have kids and they have xbox 360, Wii, DS.

I have a gaming computer that I just finished building to play WoW on. Will be turning my old p4 computer into a MAME so will probably be on here asking questions if i get stuck. A friend of my Wife is giving me their SNES and I am currently bidding on a PS1. Also intend to get a Flashback 2 in the next few weeks.

My top 10 - Time invested into games in my youth.
1 California Games - C64
2 Donkey Kong - Game and Watch
3 Galaga - Arcade
4 Haunted House - Pinball
5 Wonderboy - Arcade
6 Madden - Sega megadrive
7 World Class Leader Board Golf - C64
8 1942/43 - Arcade
9 Funhouse - Pinball
10 Sonic - Sega megadrive
Honourable mentions
Super Mario bros - NES
Pacman - Atari 2600

So that should give you a feeling about my Retro gaming history.

Keep up the great work, love all the content - Mike'd up, Top 10's, Hardware flashback, it came from MAME - Awesome! (Also the length of it is perfect) and Thank you.

miner2049er
18-01-11, 09:50
Good to see another listener jump in the forums, I hope that flood water keeps away from your collection, not like that other poor guy.

Seeing as you're in Sydney, I dropped $10 in Taronga Zoo in 2003, if you see it will you get it back to me please?

Kombi
19-01-11, 03:53
Hey love the show, and wanted to see some of the threads and photos that have been talked about on the podcast here in the forums.
I took some of my Family to Taronga Zoo last month great place, sorry didnt see your $10 - wish I had would of paid for one lot of chips I got in the cafe - they sure know how to charge once they have you trapped in there.
Yeah thanks for the concern, Floods have hit most of QLD, VIC and northern NSW but very safe near Sydney - has been great seeing so many Buses and Planes with volunteers going to help the flood hit places.
Was highest bidder on PS1 yesterday so hoping that arrives before the weekend, has some games with it that I will enjoy, TOCA, GTA, Resident Evil 1 & 2, Quake II, Mcrae rally.

SubaruBrat
19-01-11, 07:46
Yeah man, that flood is some mean business. We wish you all well and welcome to the forums. I am sure many have seen it already but here is the link to that massive collection that got destroyed. http://kotaku.com/5735493/vintage-gaming-collection-washed-away-in-aussie-floods/gallery/1

miner2049er
19-01-11, 10:02
Was highest bidder on PS1 yesterday so hoping that arrives before the weekend, has some games with it that I will enjoy, TOCA, GTA, Resident Evil 1 & 2, Quake II, Mcrae rally.

TOCA looks horrible these days but plays great, and is based on the era of Touring Cars when it was actually good and you weren't allowed to just barge your opponents of track to make a corner.

RE1 and 2 are great and McRae Rally is brilliant, probably showing its age but a great game.

Kombi
19-01-11, 04:08
Thanks guys for the comments, just making my experience with your podcast even more enjoyable. I did leave feedback on iTunes today (Australian) I guess you have access to this.
Wow SubaruBrat had not seen those photos of the collection - didnt realise how fantastic it was. That was some collection with alot of time and money invested in it. I hope some of it can be saved. Hate to think how many other collections, Arcade machines and consoles were lost.
miner2049er totally agree with you on TOCA - that how I remeber it, McRae franchise I am a huge fan of - looking forward to dirt 3 this year. Have never played RE1 or 2 and really looking forward to playing these.
miner2049er you may enjoy this, I have a bid on Shane Warne cricket - loved this game, back when we had a decent cricket team :)
Anyways, thanks again guys, keep up the great work. Will see you around here in the forums.
ps SubaruBrat you may appreciate this, in my opening intro said how my parents had a pinball at home for a few years which I really loved, couldnt remember the name of it, but tracked it down on ipdb (website I found thanks to you) called Fullhouse http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=full+house&searchtype=quick#961

SubaruBrat
19-01-11, 06:29
Sweet, it is well known in pinball circles in the US just how big pinball is in oz.

miner2049er
20-01-11, 12:06
At the moment it is bigger than cricket..................

Kombi
26-01-11, 12:04
So I finally got through all the Podcasts and now am up to date! LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT. Great interviews in the last few ones.
Now over the next week or so will be going thru all the links in the news section of archived podcasts and having a bit of a surf in here on the forum.
So I have a few questions - What happened to your Pinball for Pinball Wizard segment miner2049er - is it still an ongoing project??
SubaruBrat do you have any photos/video on here or elsewhere of your whole arcade?? would really love to see it.

In my intro I mentioned that I had built a New gaming PC. That has now left me with a Old P4 PC - I have downloaded MAME and MAMEUI with a few ROMS to try it out and wow I loved it! Didnt have sound, but worked out how to use my Playstation PC controller to play games - havent really looked into the sound side of things yet just wanted to test it out. Am now Bitten and have been looking everywhere on the net for MAME info and Arcade cab building. miner2049er really love your MAME machine how it is set up and the look of it. My biggest decision now is what style of cab Im going to build, like the looks of DK, Ms Pacman and Galaga to name just a few.
Anyways up to date now and looking forward to the next podcast.

SubaruBrat
26-01-11, 12:08
If you go to our facebook page (and +Like it) I have some pics of the arcade up there. I did a video walk through that I need to edit.

Yes, Miner's boardset is my priority now that MAGFEST is over. Updates will be forthcoming.

Kombi
26-01-11, 12:58
Ahh cool, Have already Liked your FB page but have not had a look through it yet, will do now. Looking forward to the video walkthrough as it sounds like an awesome set up. Did some YouTube surfing today of private arcades http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqxfDnmRB1M&feature=fvw was my favourite (im guessing you may even know him)
Also really looking forward to futher Pinball Wizard episodes.

miner2049er
26-01-11, 01:54
Great interviews in the last few ones.

Scott just did one that is great for very different reasons. It is a must listen and is upcoming soon.

What happened to your Pinball for Pinball Wizard segment miner2049er - is it still an ongoing project??

I haven't touched the physical table in a long time and as Scott says, he has my boards and is part way through working on them. There will be an update in the show soon.

Once the table actually runs and I can play it, I will begin the restoration of the physical aspects of the playfield etc, and depending how much I like it, I will either do a thorough restore or look to trade it for a table I will want to keep long term.

miner2049er really love your MAME machine how it is set up and the look of it.

I added some videos here of it now running Computer Space and Pong, as well as a Zoltan video.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/videos

My biggest decision now is what style of cab Im going to build, like the looks of DK, Ms Pacman and Galaga to name just a few.

You can find patterns and cutting plans for those cabs somewhere if you are doing a new build.

Kombi
26-01-11, 02:56
You can find patterns and cutting plans for those cabs somewhere if you are doing a new build.
Yeah found the plans of different cabs here: www.jakobud.com also a few other sites also. lol thats why im so confused on what I want.
Have been going through old threads on the forum and saw your pong thread - great to see that you got pong going in MAME.
Looking forward to the interviews and the progress of your pin.

GameGavel
26-01-11, 04:05
Hey Kombi,

I am chiming in kind of late here, but welcome! Is that your Kombi in your avatar. Sweet, we have always wanted to get a VW bus here in So Cal. There are lots of them out here. Glad you are enjoying the show :)

Kombi
27-01-11, 12:50
Heya GameGavel, Thanks for the welcome - thats the trifecta of hosts now lol.
Have to say love Miked up, started watching some of your Big Game hunter videos last night also - brilliant.
I would love to say that the 23 window Kombi in my Avatar is mine - but sadly no. I took that at the Australian VW nationals - its a when I win lotto thing. Only own an Kombi engine at the moment that I am trying to work on. Have Twins starting Private High School this year and the joke at my house at the moment is when someone asks - how much does it cost? they reply that it costs dad a Kombi a year to send them - then they all laugh (wife included) - funny little shits arent they lol.
I did see some sweet Kombi's in So Cal when I back packed the States about a decade ago especially love the Westfalia camper variants. Kombis over here did get a little rare over the last few years as the English were buying them all up and shipping them there - big kombi scene over there now especially with the camping festival weekends they have. But that was when the Pound got 3 Aus$ now the Aussie dollar is strong (at parity against the US$) and its not happening so much now.

SubaruBrat
27-01-11, 01:17
You know, Subaru is pretty popular in Australia, in fact many of the innovations in mods were created there. Subaru engines are an easy swap into VWs. Imagine that bus with an STi 2.5T belting out 500hp. Or if you want to puss out go with the 2.2T at 220hp. You know you want to convert.

miner2049er
27-01-11, 01:26
I plan on buying one at some point but I want the model with brakes and electrics.

What's the hire company down under that hires out nothing but kombis and graffiti them up? We saw tons of them when we were there.

Kombi
27-01-11, 11:39
You know, Subaru is pretty popular in Australia, in fact many of the innovations in mods were created there. Subaru engines are an easy swap into VWs. Imagine that bus with an STi 2.5T belting out 500hp. Or if you want to puss out go with the 2.2T at 220hp. You know you want to convert.
Yes Subaru is big in Oz, a lot of my family and mates have owned WRX's and a few STi's, also a few blokes at work have them. My wife wants her next car to be a WRX.
Beetle owners in Oz use to put porsche engines in for easy power boost but now they all put the Subaru flat fours in - fits straight in and all the VW mod shops sell the adapter plates. Havent seen to many Subaru engines in Kombis but have seen a few V6 and V8's in them. Just a shame they cant stop lol.

Kombi
27-01-11, 11:44
What's the hire company down under that hires out nothing but kombis and graffiti them up? We saw tons of them when we were there.

Their are a few companies that hire out Kombi campers - especially to the Brittish Backpackers. The company that graffiti's the vans is www.wickedcampers.com.au but they do all vans now like Tarago's and stuff - and you do see them on all the highways.

You would have plenty of Kombis to choose from - all bloody Australian ones!!! I get the VWCamper magazine from England (Brilliant) and all the companies selling Kombis have under their adverts "just arrived from Oz!"

miner2049er
27-01-11, 12:58
Ha! My neighbour, a guy I went to school with, imported one from Florida complete with surfboard attached to the roof.

I have another friend who restores them too. The wickedcampers ones are the ones I was thinking of. We saw tons of them and they were pretty well done for the most part.