PDA

View Full Version : McD's - the D is for "Disappointment"

BydoEmpire73
02-01-11, 12:43
Orlando has a big McDonald's on I-Drive (the touristy strip) that advertises "huge electronic Play Place" and "100 arcade games." I stopped in today and it was awful - a typical modern arcade. Lots of redemption games, a few new drivers (Fast & Furious, etc), and one Ms Pac Man/Galaga. You couldn't pay me to eat their food, but I'd definitely go if they had 100 classic arcade games. I was kind of expecting more based on the ads I'd seen.

I also stopped in DisneyQuest to see if they still had their classic arcade. My wife and I went ages ago, before we moved here, and it was awesome. I asked the ticket taker at the door "do you still have the classic arcade room?" He said "You mean like Pac Man and stuff?" Uh, yeah, like Pac Man and stuff. I don't think he understood what I was looking for, but he though they had a lot of those games still, but he didn't really know and had no idea how many. I'll have to call, or maybe next time we're in downtown Disney I'll find a more knowledgeable person on staff.

Flare
02-01-11, 01:18
What a shame. People just don't care.

A great arcade in Orlando was the one inside Disney's Contemporary Resort. Not too many classic games, but their pinball selection was astounding.

I took pictures; this is back in 2006: http://picasaweb.google.com/flarie/DisneyContemporaryResortSFUNCENTER#

Gordon Bennett
02-01-11, 01:30
I do agree. The modern arcade is a deeply disappointing experience.

I don't particularly mind the various driving games and DDR games so much. They tend to be quite samey and aren't to my personal taste, but at least they are proper games.

It's the coin pushers, the fruit machines and the simplistic ticket redemption games that bother me, and not just because they overwhelmingly dominate every supposed arcade I have been to in recent memory.

It's the principle of them. It isn't gaming proper, it's low level gambling. With the classic games, you put in your coin and in exchange you get a few minutes of a challenging, absorbing and rewarding experience. You pay to enjoy the time playing.

With the coin pushers and the rest, it isn't about fun. The promise is that you are playing to win some money or a prize. It's a completely different concept of a game, one in which the quality of play is meaningless.

Except Skee-ball of course. Skee-ball is the only ticket game I have ever played that is actually enjoyable to play regardless of any chance of a reward.

BydoEmpire73
02-01-11, 02:33
Except Skee-ball of course. Skee-ball is the only ticket game I have ever played that is actually enjoyable to play regardless of any chance of a reward.Yeah, Skee-ball is just a fun game, regardless whether or not you get tickets.

Good pics, Flare - maybe I'll check out the Contemporary one of these days.

Dhalamar
02-01-11, 11:41
Yeah, Skee-ball is just a fun game, regardless whether or not you get tickets.

Good pics, Flare - maybe I'll check out the Contemporary one of these days.

The bitch about Skee-ball for me is ... I am TERRIBLE at that game. Real life, video games, it doesn't matter. It's almost like if there actually was a God ... he's fucking with me and forever being TERRIBLE at that game. lol

I'm so bad at that game I can't even LOSE well. :P