PDA

View Full Version : How to Build a Mame Cabinet

wongojack
28-12-10, 05:03
I'm a relative newcomer to RGR - I was listening to a show from earlier this year where someone wrote in and asked if instructions for building a cabinet could be covered on the show. The response was that they had already done that.

I'm just trying to find that older segment and am unsure about how to actually search against the show archive. Can someone kindly direct me to the aforementioned segment?

miner2049er
28-12-10, 05:21
Search was broken but I just fixed it, however, searching for arcade cab brings up 40 results.

The segments you want begin in roundup 3 and follow up in roundup 4 and roundup 5 though it is not necessarily about building your own cab but sourcing an empty cab and mameing it.

SubaruBrat
29-12-10, 01:20
And of course if you have questions, you can always ask in the forums.

wongojack
30-12-10, 05:41
Listening to roundup #3 - I'm going to quote Tracy Jordan from 30 Rock when I say: You guys love Computer Space so much "You're going to take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant"

spauldingd
30-12-10, 08:19
The podcasts are great to give you a general background on what is required, but when you are ready, head over to ArcadeControls.com and read the forums there as it has a mountain of information and all kinds of inspiration. Search for "The Joust House" and you will find the posting I made way back when I built mine.

Dave in Des Moines

SubaruBrat
30-12-10, 08:29
+1 for BYOAC, nice group there.

wongojack
10-01-11, 06:27
I ended up buying someone else's DIY rig. It's got some drawbacks in that there is no glass or bezel and a big A$$ TV just sits in the display area. Its made of custom cut MDF so its heavy as F_ _ _ and we had to disassemble it to get it out of the guy's apt, but this guy had some nice touches with custom re-wired speakers and a 4 player control panel. It was half the price of most kits I found so I just went with it. I'll re-assemble this weekend and take a picture if (I'm not too embarrassed at the giant TV).

wongojack
17-01-11, 06:57
This could be the wrong place for this, but I thought I'd post it here.

Ok, I put together the DIY job that I bought. Screws went back into place as they should. The 4 player control panel had a few points on it that came loose, this guy used IPAC4 but didn't put the crimps on the switches, just soldered them individually. I found the ends of the wires that came loose and re-soldered using the solder that was already there in all cases but one - which was a stiff copper wire that I guess is part of the daisy chained ground wire.

The fact that I didn't wire this myself is both a good and bad thing because I don't have to go through the time it takes to make the thing work, but I also have never wired a control panel, so I have to figure out after the fact how the thing is supposed to work in the first place.

Testing a few games and I discover that player 4 joystick up is configured correctly, but it does multiple presses when pressed. Pushing it in notepad gives me minimum two little 'y' s. 2 of the solder points I had to fix were for player 4, but they were buttons 1 and 4 which seem to be working fine.

Any ideas on what can cause a double press like that?

miner2049er
17-01-11, 08:07
A dirty contact in the micro switch. Try swapping the switch with the player down and see if the problem moves.

If it doesn't re wire that control completely.

Leathco
17-01-11, 09:19
Also, you can make a bezel pretty easily. Call up your nearest hardware store and have them cut some Plexiglass for you......mine only was 20 bucks. Tons of websites online will print a bezel with any art you want, or they have premade bezels that can be resized to fit what you have.

Just keep in mind that Plexiglass can be scratched more easily than Glass, but I don't think many objects that can scratch plexi are gonna be near your arcade screen.

TripHamer
18-01-11, 04:28
http://revision3.com/systm/mamecase

Revision 3 had a show called system and they did a 5 part show and built a MAME cabinet from the ground up.

miner2049er
18-01-11, 09:55
Yeah I watched all those, they went with Linux and a Mala Front End I think.

It was pretty fugly from what I remember thoguugh.

JoshWright
18-01-11, 03:58
Here are a few youtube videos on the subject for future reference. One is a standard stand up unit, and the other a bar top.

This is the standard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvgFYoz2qpc)

This is the bar top. This guy will also give you pre-made plans if you go to his site. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa5VmDt2ksQ)

Rock on.

wongojack
20-01-11, 06:51
Finishing the conversation I started on the flaky joystick behavior . . .

The wire had come loose to the 'NO' connection and was touching both 'NO' and 'NC,' so the circuit would stay closed when the switch was activated the first time. I just resoldered it nice and tight to NO and it works fine.

One thing I noticed is that this guy soldered the ground wire to the NO, so this was actually the ground wire causing this problem. He's got all the switches soldered that way with ground to the Open prong and the actual control wire connected to the ground. I guess the switch doesn't care as long as its wired somehow to the Open prong and is grounded?

There are pictures of the cab and the faulty switch here:
http://cid-ec7bd1a81d3e9f22.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/Arcade?nl=1&uc=4

miner2049er
20-01-11, 08:37
He's got all the switches soldered that way with ground to the Open prong and the actual control wire connected to the ground. I guess the switch doesn't care as long as its wired somehow to the Open prong and is grounded?

There is a good reason for NOT doing that.

I just don't know what it is.

Cynicaster
21-01-11, 12:37
Here are a few youtube videos on the subject for future reference. One is a standard stand up unit, and the other a bar top.

This is the standard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvgFYoz2qpc)

This is the bar top. This guy will also give you pre-made plans if you go to his site. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa5VmDt2ksQ)

Rock on.

I've seen that upright cab video before. I think that guy did a stellar job.

As we speak I'm in the process of building a cab in my garage. I'm a bit nervous because I completely drafted the plans from scratch rather than going with something tried and true from somebody else. I put some "logic" behind it, for example, ensuring that the control panel surface is at a comfy height (at least for me) but for the rest I pretty much just went with what looked good to my eye in Sketchup. I really really hope the finished product doesn't suck because I have spent far too many hours on this. :)

SubaruBrat
21-01-11, 12:58
Pics Pics Pics

Cynicaster
31-01-11, 05:49
Pics Pics Pics

I started a project thread over at BYOAC.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108939.0

DoctorMikeReddy
20-02-11, 02:13
Ive got a cab overheating problem, probably as the pc motherboard is now decased in the jamma cabinet. Do you think a tube above the fan to direct air from outside, possibly with another fan, would be enough?

SubaruBrat
21-02-11, 10:38
To be honest that is the first time I have heard of that happening. Generally as long as you have a good heatsink and CPU fan the interior volume of the cab being so much larger than a PC cab makes forced circulation unnecessary. Which component is overheating? Have you removed, cleaned and replaced the CPU fan with new heatsink compound if it is the CPU?

DoctorMikeReddy
07-03-11, 12:07
I'll check that. Finding the time is the thing. :-(

JoeJet
09-03-11, 12:53
To be honest that is the first time I have heard of that happening. Generally as long as you have a good heatsink and CPU fan the interior volume of the cab being so much larger than a PC cab makes forced circulation unnecessary. Which component is overheating? Have you removed, cleaned and replaced the CPU fan with new heatsink compound if it is the CPU?

Yea, my guess would be the PC fan got gunked with dust and failed, or you mounted the board differently and in the process lost connectivity between the heatsink and the cpu..(or same would apply for video card)