PDA

View Full Version : Retrolgia = Retro Nostalgia OR why listening to 2 years of casts in two weeks is WIN

DoctorMikeReddy
25-12-10, 04:34
Got here via the 1-Up podcast, and wasn't even confused by their use of round table instead of roundup (sic). Now I have assimilated two years of back casts, over the last couple of weeks. Wow! I feel like Neo from the Matrix:

"Now I know retro"

I am a games programming lecturer at Newport University, who has also worked as a TV presenter for games shows like The Match and Games Night, as well as Radio work. I feel very honoured to have lived through the early years of this amazing medium's developments. RGR is SUCH as a fabulous resource, and I am so glad I found it. UKMike particularly has been a great help, with advice about my first arcade cab purchase. Thanks Mike!

Now, a few things I'd like cleared up:
1) Manchester resident for 7 years before I moved to Wales, I was there for "MadChester" and FAC51, the Hacienda, was known as "The Hass" to locals.
2) Treferrest, near Pontrypridd in South Wales, was the World's first industrial estate, not Trafford, powered by Coal not Textiles.
3) What ever happened to the haunted arcade cab? Did anyone claim it?

DoctorMike
P.S. Genesis IS a band.

SubaruBrat
25-12-10, 04:48
Welcome to the show, and thanks for the high praise from someone with such credentials. I am continued to be convinced that a UK event must be done soon. We have MAGFEST in 2 weeks, and CGE this summer. After that I am totally up for coming to the UK and dragging Socal along so that we can do a RGRUP booth at a show there.

GameGavel
25-12-10, 05:51
Welcome to the show and to the forums. I hope you turn into a regular around here :)

DoctorMikeReddy
25-12-10, 06:51
GameCity (Nottingham http://www.gamecity.org/ ) might be a good bet for you. Sign me up if you want a guest or participant. Mind you, another Mike and the podcast might explode!

circletheory
08-01-11, 02:03
GameCity (Nottingham http://www.gamecity.org/ ) might be a good bet for you. Sign me up if you want a guest or participant. Mind you, another Mike and the podcast might explode!

Welcome to RGR -- where you'll find the largest resource of "Mikes" as well as Retrogaming Information.

-Mike aka circletheory

DoctorMikeReddy
08-01-11, 12:30
And <bump> the haunted arcade cab? Does anyone know if it was ever claimed by anyone?