PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Ontario, Canada

Cynicaster
03-12-10, 11:05
Greetings fellow dwellers of the gaming subculture!

I hail from lovely Southwestern Ontario in Canada.

My gaming pedigree in brief:

1983: Receive first Atari 2600 at age 5, a 6-switch woody, presumably a light-sixer. No, I don’t know why it wasn’t a Vader, but it wasn’t.

1983-1987: Atari 2600 fanaticism. Favorite games: Kaboom, Pressure Cooker, Empire Strikes Back, Keystone Kapers, Frogger

1987: Receive Atari 7800 for Christmas. Disappointment ensues at lack of exciting games, no friends to trade with, dogshit controllers, and gray cartridge labels.

1989: Receive NES for 12th birthday, throw 7800 in woodchipper. Later on buy Gameboy with money earned from cutting grass and raking leaves.

1991: Sell Gameboy to friend for more than it’s worth, buy Atari Lynx. Damage door frame to house trying to bring the Lynx inside. Spend hours playing Klax and Blue Lightning.

1991, later: pool money together with older brother, buy Genesis. “Rise From Your Grave” becomes new mantra.

1992: lend Lynx to friend who is grounded for getting caught with cigarettes. He returns it with broken AC adapter input. I slash his parents’ tires.

1993ish: I fancy myself “too cool” for video games, grow my hair long, and form a rock band.

1994-1996: Play local shows for free pitchers of beer, enjoy small handful of isolated groupie encounters. I’m certain the sexual activity had nothing to do with my distancing myself from gaming.

1997: after working well-paying summer internship as engineering student, suddenly decide games are cool again. Buy Playstation.

1997-2000: Playstation sees regular use, on such great titles as Rally Cross, Tekken 2, Twisted Metal 2, and Parappa the Rappa. Ok, not Parappa the Rappa.

2001: Sell Playstation to college buddy because roommate buys PS2 for living room. Besides, PS1 didn’t work.

2002: Roommate moves out, buy my own PS2. It mostly collects dust over the years, except for spurts of Starwars Battlefront I and II and GT4.

2009: Wife gone and laid-off from job within two month period. Wallow in self pity. Borrow God of War, Black, and Medal of Honor for PS2 from friend. Gaming is cool for a third time.

2010: re-hired at job. First present to self: PS3. Games so far include Resistance 2, Battlefield 1943, Uncharted 2, and MLB 09 The Show. Short time later, see boxed Atari 2600 at local game shop. Impulse buy. Nostalgia phase begins. Join AtariAge, learn of RGR podcast from main page. Become fan.

2011: Coming soon, first MAME cabinet.

GameGavel
04-12-10, 12:04
Thanks for listening and also for deciding to join the forums :) Sorry to hear about your 2009 and hope things are looking up again :CB

miner2049er
04-12-10, 12:42
Hello and welcome but I think you mis-spelt Canadia?

How is the woodchipper holding up?

Cynicaster
04-12-10, 01:32
Thanks for listening and also for deciding to join the forums :) Sorry to hear about your 2009 and hope things are looking up again :CB

Thanks, So Cal. Yeah, 2009 was a year I'd rather forget, but life goes on. Dumb as it sounds, I think the whole experience is what drove me back into gaming. The jury may still be out on the social effects of video games, but hey, in my case it seemed a more wholesome choice than cocaine and Jack Daniels. :)

Hello and welcome but I think you mis-spelt Canadia?

How is the woodchipper holding up?

Not sure about the woodchipper, it belonged to the city. Last I heard, the waste from my deposit had been sold to China for use in the manufacture of phony dog poo and other such niche novelties. In retrospect, seems fitting.

By the way, great review of Miner in the last podcast. That was the first game I ever played on the C64 as well. My neighbour had it and I thought it was outstanding compared to what I was playing at home on the 2600.

If you're a Wilford Brimley Fan you've probably seen this, but just in case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZSnlo3W-3Y

Duke.Togo
04-12-10, 05:09
Welcome aboard. You've got quite the history, and welcome back to the gaming fold once again. Thankfully pixels don't hold grudges.