PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat correction.

Dhalamar
30-11-10, 02:24
Although I'm not completely through the top 10 yet(in the middle of the talk about Conker right now. Giant shit monster ftw) so maybe I'm just going too soon here. But the Mortal Kombat discussion I listened to with a critical ear because the SNES and Genesis versions are things that I know a hell of a lot about. heh

First off, the little one, it was a lot of Night Trap, Doom and Mortal Kombat that they were using at the time to show how evil video games are. Because, well, you know. I was about 12 to 14 at the time and played them heavily (played MK 1 and 2 at tournaments even lol), and I totally grew up ripping people's faces off and shooting people. *Insert eye roll here*

But as far as Mortal Kombat itself, the SNES and Genesis versions are kinda strange in some respects. There was no green blood in the SNES version, in fact there wasn't any blood at all. They just replaced it with sweat. The word "Fatality" isn't in it, instead of going with "Finishing Move" and they actually changed a number of the "Finishing Moves" from the arcade to something else. Like, when Rayden does his, instead of the opponent's head blowing up in this massive gush of blood, they just turn to dust. Sub-Zero freezes them, then smacks them in the face and they break apart until just the feet are sitting there. And Kano rips out ... I don't even know what the hell that thing is supposed to be. Oh, And Johnny Cage kicks them in the chest. There's probably others, but you get the idea.

The Genesis version, while it did have all the blood, it could only be accessed by either ABACABB or DULLARD, otherwise the game was even MORE censored than the SNES version. :) When you play the Genesis version uncut, not only is there no blood, there's no sweat or ANYTHING. And the Fatalities took a massive hit as well. Kano's is the same as the SNES version, but Johnny Cage just shadow kick's the opponent across the room, Sub-Zero uppercuts them really high, Rayden zaps them, but then they just fall over if I remember correctly. There were two reasons why the Genesis version reigned supreme over what Nintendo forced them to produce : obviously the blood. And the fact that the control, while not as good as the arcade, was a HELL of a lot better than it was on the SNES. For some reason the SNES version is just unresponsive as hell.

Nintendo's version, other than the censorship and crap control was graphically extremely close to the arcade with great music and great sound. The Genesis version ... while it has the blood and superior control suffered everywhere else. The graphics were crap with massive amounts of animation cut out, the sound was almost non existent and the music was terrible. The thing that set it apart WAS the blood and the fact it played well, and that was about it. And people like me played it because of that. :)

SubaruBrat
30-11-10, 02:31
There was no green blood in the SNES version, in fact there wasn't any blood at all. They just replaced it with sweat.

Your right for the most part, I fired it up again and there is some blue green mess that flies when Raiden punches at times, perhaps it was meant to be electricity? But it looks like we got the wrong fluid and the wrong color, our fact checkers will be flogged.

Dhalamar
30-11-10, 02:42
Your right for the most part, I fired it up again and there is some blue green mess that flies when Raiden punches at times, perhaps it was meant to be electricity? But it looks like we got the wrong fluid and the wrong color, our fact checkers will be flogged.

I can't remember if it was the SNES version or the PS1 version of MK 2 in Japan (or maybe it's both) but for some reason in a country where tentacle rape, bondage and weird television shows where they put bugs and other strange things on Japanese girls are on every corner, the blood in one or both of those versions is green and the screen goes black and white for the fatalities. lol