PDA

View Full Version : Hello from East Yorkshire in the UK, great show

zxspectrum16k
30-10-10, 02:53
Just discovered this gem of a show within the last few months and already hooked. Interesting content, informative and a great mix of subjects. I have listened to a few of the most recent shows, and now hitting the back log(at Roundup 007). Just a massive thanks for what you are doing and a big hello to the community.
I am 41 yr old gamer, married with three kids. Gaming started for me with the xmas gift of a Grandstand Astro Wars and hanging out in the arcades on the east coast of England. Great times, even today the sound of an arcade brings back mega memories (Centipede, Gorf. Space Invaders, Hyper Sports and the holy grail, the sit down Starwars cab)

My gaming background is mainly computer based, with just a pinch of console playing every know and than.

ZXspectrum (matchday, football manager, manic miner, jetpac, attic attack, underwurlde, Brain Bloodaxe, Valhalla, Match Point)
Commodore 128 (Ik+, Boulderdash, Paradroid, way of the exploding fist, wizball, Summer Games and the great uridium)
Atari 800xl (my friend had Mule and Grid Iron, I got obsessed and had to get one. Sold off my 128 for it)
Amiga (Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder, super sprint, speedball 2, superfrog, syndicate, chaos engine, Formula One grand prix (multiplayer hotseating was so much fun), championship manager.
Massive break, no video gaming

Than I played Doom and Xwing at my best buddies house. Holy crap, I borrowed his 386/486? (DX) for the weekend. No long after I was deep into the world of PC gaming. Over the years I have played many games but some of the gems;

Doom, Rise of the Triads, Red Alert, Halflife, Counterstrike, counterstrike source and than 18 months fix of World of Warcraft. During this time I did get a Xbox (original) but mainly for Halo and the Media Player. Although I loved Jetset future radio.
I know do most of my gaming on the current crop new console. ps3, xbox360, wii. However in the last 18months I have been trying to pickup some of my old gems and some consoles and games that I missed out on. I enjoy playing both current and retro games. however I seem to be spending alot of my gaming time now reading up on the history of the machines and the people behind them (must be an age thing).

Anyways, really looking forward to listening to more show and just two minor comments from the previous shows
Mike, best sports games without Fifa or Championship manager???
and Jetset Willy better on c64 than the ZXspectrum, are you sure you wasnt playing it on an amstrad instead of the mighty rubber key wonder. :ROLL:

I have enjoy all the shows and sections, however the Ted Dabney Interview AWESOME.
aalso, I have no memory, so apologies in advance if i have mixed up some of the games and systems. They seem to blend into each other now, abit like the graphics on my favs computer :)

GameGavel
30-10-10, 03:52
Hiya,

Welcome to the show and to the forums. Glad you are enjoying our "little" podcast. Please remember to frequent GameGavel.co.uk as it has been filling a bit again and has some good items for sale :) And don't be a stranger here in the forums. We need more regulars.

:WELCOME:

Duke.Togo
30-10-10, 05:48
Welcome to the forums, I think you will fit right in. Although the thought of selling a C128 gives me the willies a little bit.

miner2049er
30-10-10, 10:07
Welcome, glad to have you on board. Make sure you catch the episode where The British Hour visited Yorkshire.

Mike, best sports games without Fifa or Championship manager???

If I had picked a soccer management game it would have been The Boss I think, but I have to consider (a) what were my favourites and (b) what will get voted straight out by Mike and Scott.

Jetset Willy better on c64 than the ZXspectrum

Yes by far but then most things were.

SubaruBrat
30-10-10, 07:49
I think I commented last show that we are about 50/50 U.S. and UK, after we get UKMike over here for CGE I think the next trip has to be me and Socal heading over there for an event.

garethpeterkennerley
30-10-10, 09:53
Welcome Mate,
get listening to the other shows when you get a few minutes to spare :) It's these guys fault I have big two player mame cab in the spare bedroom ! I agree with you though I alwasy preferred Jet set willy on the Speccy rather than the 64 - Don't know why just did.

miner2049er
30-10-10, 10:42
Well let's be honest about this, the speccy version of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy had a charm about them, but better? Come on, colour bleed ruins it completely. Same with Pyjamarama.

zxspectrum16k
31-10-10, 02:32
Welcome Mate,
get listening to the other shows when you get a few minutes to spare :) It's these guys fault I have big two player mame cab in the spare bedroom ! I agree with you though I alwasy preferred Jet set willy on the Speccy rather than the 64 - Don't know why just did.

Totally understand and funny enough I bidded on a phoenix cabinet yesterday (didn't win it) but just had an urge to give it a try.
I have being reading mikes post (http://www.jamesonline.net/arcade) about his mame box, cool has hell and sound like it could be my next big project. I have mame running on an old xbox, but would like a cabinet. Although I would rather make one myself than buy one already done (better on the pocket as well :) )
I think I would be able to get one cabinet by the wife.

Do you have any pics of you cab?

zxspectrum16k
31-10-10, 02:37
Well let's be honest about this, the speccy version of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy had a charm about them, but better? Come on, colour bleed ruins it completely. Same with Pyjamarama.

The colour bleed is cute, and I always saw it as a feature :)

Pyjamarama what a classic, great Wally series. Can't see many current studios naming their lead character Wally.

zxspectrum16k
31-10-10, 02:45
Welcome to the forums, I think you will fit right in. Although the thought of selling a C128 gives me the willies a little bit.

Don't remind me, gutted with some of the things I did. You see whenever I upgraded, i used to just give my old stuff away (mainly to my little nephew). So now I am having to find all replacements and holly crap the price of some of the stuff.