PDA

View Full Version : GameGavel Steam Thread

SteveSawyer
30-10-10, 12:58
Post all discussions related to Steam, and the Official GameGavel Steam group in this nifty thread!

And don't forget to check out the group page! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gamegavel

Todd1780
30-10-10, 03:21
Wow..I didnt know GameGavel had a steam group! Thats pretty sweet.
I'm BludStain on steam...and I will be joining this group straight away!

Dhalamar
31-10-10, 04:39
My Steam handle is Dhalamar ... yeah ... real original huh. :)

Just bear in mind that 99% of the time I'm on a shit computer ... so I can't actually run half of what I've got. I still get the games I can't run because MAYBE one of these days I'll get a modern mediocre computer that runs shit like Left 4 Dead or Killing Floor.

First person shooters on the PC with a keyboard and mouse = bliss.

And Steam works out great for me since I generally get stuff when they go on sale. And Steam is known for their MASSIVE sales. :)

GameGavel
16-11-10, 12:30
Whenever you hear of any STEAM sales or specials post them here in this forum to give our members and visitors a head's up. This thread will be "stuck" so it will always be an easy find.

Thanks guys!

JoshWright
16-11-10, 12:48
http://www.steamgamesales.com/ Is a great source for steam sales prices too, not just current ones, but previously offered sales as well. It also tracks when prices drop Non-sale.

miner2049er
13-01-11, 11:58
OK then, Steam?

Tell me what it can do for me?

I know I can I run it on my PC and buy games and play them online etc.

Can I only buy new games?
Do they have a retro section?
Can I play retro games online?
Can I play against people only on PC or does it connect with XBox live or PSN as well?
If I change my computer how easy is it to get your purchased games back?
Can I run it on more than 1 machine using the same account?
How much is it?
How much are new games?
How much are retro games?
Will I lose all my games when Steam goes out of business?

Answers appreciated.

JoshWright
13-01-11, 02:07
hey Miner,

to anwser some of your questions on steam,

Yes, they regularly offer retro games such as the oddworld games, point and click adventures like space quest and The Dig, as well as
older console titles for the genesis. Quite a lot of provided content there. Its not in its own section per say, but if your looking for specific titles
it has a great internal search engine. Some of the retro games have online scoreboards, but as for like multiplayer hosting, thats a case by case basis.
As far as getting the games back, its really simple, using the steam client all you have to do is download it through the Steam Software. The game is
installed to your systems specs automatically. It makes installs and downloads really simple.
Sadly, its just PC users connected through steams own hosting, that again is also case by case though. If your playing an MMO, it is decided by the
provider who gets to play with whom. You can also only run one account at a time, and only from one terminal. This is so they don;t have multiple people playing
on the same account from different machines. What steam does essentially sell licenses for the titles you buy, and hosts a file that can be downloaded and installed through the interface. It itself is free, with no monthly fees what so ever. If you only ever use it as a shell program, or an instant messenger for people in games, then its pretty much already paid you back the nothing you paid for it. Each game is individually priced, with older titles tending towards being very affordable, most never getting above 5 bucks.
Now as for the steam going out of business thing, I can pretty much promise you that if steam goes out of business, its because of a third world war, a zombie apocalypse, or alien invasion. Steam isn't going anywhere, as its the largest provider of digital download titles on earth, responsible for somewhere close to 70% roughly of all digital download sales. It is honestly the largest platform for gaming in existence. Not to mention, Steam is owned by Valve, and valve is one of the hottest commodities in gaming. Stability is pretty much a given.

If you have any questions about it I didn't answer, please check out the wiki Here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_%28software%29) Or go directly to Steams website Here (http://store.steampowered.com/)

To be perfectly honest with you, I've been gaming for close to thirty years, and steam is the most dependable useful platform I've ever used. I swear by it, I even got my mother to download it. I recommend steam to everyone, and even if you never download or buy a single game off of them, its still a free messenger service, with voice support and an internal browser. Pretty awesome, for costing dimp.

miner2049er
13-01-11, 11:09
Thanks for the full answers Josh, that's great.

Is there anything around or on the horizon that will allow PC-360-PS3 online play or am I right in thinking that was stopped as PC Gamers were winning all the time?

JoshWright
14-01-11, 01:56
Actually, In a very bold move, steam will be available with the release of Portal 2 on the ps3. I don't own one of those things, so I'm not in the loop as far as what that all entails. I'd be very very surprised if steam ever hits X-box live, as that to me, seems a huge conflict of interest.

JoshWright
26-01-11, 11:40
Hey guys, Steam and Sega Just released 10+ classics from the master system, and genesis. Come check them out.

Take a look here! (http://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=SEGA)

Vipp
30-12-12, 12:27
Recently we played M.U.L.E, Worms on the PS3 and finally we have reason to believe that YOU joining us on Steam will be a life saving job well done. So as we give the official Game Gavel Steam account a face lift let us all join together and make the group expand. So we can start by letting everyone know who you are on steam. If your not yet on Steam join up, it is brilliant and very cheap.

You can find these RGR/GG Forum Member on steam. Please add them and we can get some gaming events running. :)

Forum Name - Steam Account Name

SepticLemon - SgtSepticLemon
Leathco - Leathco
FocusRS - Focusrs
Dhalamar - Dhalamar
Vipp - Benjaminstirling
Stevesawyer - Steve [RAOS]

PLEASE POST YOUR STEAM NAME AND I CAN ADD IT TO THE LIST. Thanks!

indieseoul
19-01-13, 12:52
You can add me to that list. My Steam name is indieseoul of course.

Vipp
20-01-13, 09:54
You can find these RGR/GG Forum Member on steam. Please add them and we can get some gaming events running.

LIST UPDATE v.2

Leathco - Leathco
FocusRS - Focusrs
Dhalamar - Dhalamar
Vipp - Benjaminstirling
indieseoul - indieseoul

itsreallykevin
28-03-13, 06:47
ItsReallyKevin - ItsReallyKevin

Vipp
11-06-13, 09:49
You can find these RGR/GG Forum Member on steam. Please add them and we can get some gaming events running.

LIST UPDATE v.3 (11 June 2013)

Leathco - Leathco
FocusRS - Focusrs
Dhalamar - Dhalamar
Vipp
indieseoul - indieseoul
ItsReallyKevin

UPDATE - Now you can join the stalking the retro group on steam and win free steam games. :)
search for the group Stalking The Retro or S_T_R, can't wait to see everyone over at steam.

Diagamblic
11-06-13, 02:27
Diagamblic - Diagamblic

If that's ever too hard to pronounce, just call me Aaron. :)

Burgertime
17-07-13, 04:06
I haven't really publicized my Steam account, and it's mostly because I'm not on my PC gaming that much :p
I am BfDelano on Steam. I just went in today and added who I am on here into my Steam profile.

random_dave
17-07-13, 11:22
PLEASE POST YOUR STEAM NAME AND I CAN ADD IT TO THE LIST. Thanks! .

random_dave - random_dave

bjones371
22-06-14, 04:35
I'm bjones371 on steam (I like to keep things consistent ;) )

While I'm on the subject, I've been pretty impressed with the Summer Sale on there so far. I know it's riddled with DRM etc. but in terms of the amount of money being knocked off things you can pick up a good deal on even some older stuff. The Age Of Empires bundle in particular is good value!

Vipp
22-06-14, 06:20

LIST UPDATE v.4 (22 June 2014)

Leathco - Leathco
FocusRS - Focusrs
Dhalamar - Dhalamar
Vipp - Vipp1990
indieseoul - indieseoul
ItsReallyKevin - ItsReallyKevin
Burger Time - BfDelano
random_dave - random_dave
bjones371 - bjones371

If you add your steam name below i will eventually add it to the list. :) Thanks and we will see you on STEAM!

Jammajup
10-10-14, 06:10
Jammajup = Cosmic_Guerilla

retroshaun
18-10-14, 03:18
retroshaun... just to be original :)