PDA

View Full Version : Circulated Arcade Tokens

GarrickGreathouse
15-10-10, 12:20
I'll never afford vintage arcade cabs. I might never build my Mame Cab. But I think I stumbled on a cheaper form of collecting, the arcade token. I just came across an old coin holder of mine with 10 old tokens from at least 15 years ago, with 5 different coin styles.

I looked on ebay, and circulated tokens go for nothing at all. Am I crazy, or does this sound like a fun, cheap, retro gaming related hobby?

retroshaun
15-10-10, 01:26
Lots of people collect them, I met a guy at CGE who collected them and actually had started producing them, made and designed to order. Pretty cool.

Dhalamar
15-10-10, 01:50
I have an old Namco or Pac-Man or somethin token around here somewhere. lol

I don't have the money for an arcade cabinet or pinball machine, and even if I did I don't have the knowhow or patience to maintain the damn things. And I have no woodworking skills whatsoever to build a MAME cab ... so I'm thinking about just sticking one of my laptops on a small table with my SF4 arcade stick and setting up the software that way. :P

Relayer
18-10-10, 01:00
I'm finding fun in discovering tokens lodged in the crevices of pins and arcade cabs that I buy from time to time. I have a couple in my possession. In my most recent pin project acquisition, I found something that looked like a bi-metal token. It turned out to be a 1996 Canadian "Toonie".

Even so, it still looks like a fancy token.

DeRocco
18-10-10, 03:28
I have a whole bunch of Funspot tokens - I'd be happy to part with a you if you want to add them to your collection.

SubaruBrat
20-10-10, 08:09
Garrick, I would never say never, much of it depends on waiting, and collecting is a waiting game when done right. Any game is available for the right price, but watching and waiting can get you great games for cheaper. Or you could just move to where Socal lives and buy them for 10% of market value.

As for the tokens, your right they go for not much at all. I have purchased a few lots of them with the idea that one day I will get all my games set up on tokens and install a token dispenser, an idea that has not yet come close to happening. The tokens though do have allot of cool history attached to them and it would be nice to have each of the major arcade chains collected. I have found some neat ones in games, and even just common quarters that take on a history because of the game they were found in, for example those 1969 and 1971 quarters I excavated from Computer Space, they rode around in that game for 35 years!

Relayer
13-01-11, 04:08
I have purchased a few lots of them with the idea that one day I will get all my games set up on tokens and install a token dispenser, an idea that has not yet come close to happening.

That's what I did....

And like you mentioned, sometimes it's a "wait and see" method to acquire something you'd like to have. The Rowe 3500 in the pic is mostly functional. The ROM checksum is incorrect, so it doesn't actually function enough to make change. However, by moving two wires, I set this thing up to dispense five tokens every time the coin return button is pressed.

BydoEmpire73
13-01-11, 04:23
I saved one of my tokens from my trip to FunWorld. I thought it would be neat to have.