PDA

View Full Version : Back from auction, some finds, news, and show favorites

SubaruBrat
10-10-10, 10:34
Got a chance to play Lucky and Wild, a show favorite. It is pretty cool, one player drives a car and the other has two Uzi style guns that you shoot the enemies with, and all sorts of novel threats pop up like the sticks of dynamite that land on your hood. It went cheap as well.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/images/Scott/Auction/L&W.jpg

Auction itself was down in size a bit, about 2/3 of what it usually is, and prices were up. Which is odd, you would think that prices would be down, and operators looking to move old inventory to buy money makers with fewer profits available to do so with. Odd.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/images/Scott/Auction/AUCTION.jpg

The Avatar pin looks even better in person and it plays nicely, a bit of a drain down the middle game but that is easily overlooked, the game has a very polished look and if you like Avatar and want a family friendly pin this is the one. I give it an overall 9 out of 10.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/images/Scott/Auction/AVATAR.jpg

The first game I picked up was a Pong, low serial number.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/images/Scott/Auction/PONG.jpg

I also picked up a Battlezone, this was on the list for a long time, but just now got around to it. I was very tempted by the Golden Axe next to it but it emulates so well and the cabnet is rather plain so I passed.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/images/Scott/Auction/ZONE.jpg

My third get was an electromechanical Aviation themed game that was in fair shape, I gave it the once over and ordered the parts. The game was only $225 and the parts $150 so for $375 I will have a very clean game.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/images/Scott/Auction/SKYKING.jpg

I got plenty of audio for an auction HWFB in the near future.

miner2049er
10-10-10, 11:30
I can't believe you picked up an original Pong.

Nice find but what was the price?

Duke.Togo
11-10-10, 12:36
Nice find on the pin. Looks very clean, with a nice playfield.

SubaruBrat
11-10-10, 12:49
Yeah, the pin was probably retired early after the solid state machines hit. The plays are on the low side of the average and there was a layer of filth protecting the playfield from wear..... All things considered the game is very restorable. The rusty legs and bolts went in the trash, I stripped the playfield and all it needs is a clean and wax. The standoffs were yellowed and will be replaced. The ball replaced with a chromed one, the rubbers, bulbs etc. all replaced and it should clean up nicely. It might be a bit though, I have a machine in restoration now and UK's boardset to finish.

I can't believe you picked up an original Pong.

You mean again, or in general, disbelief or envy?

Price was $690 and it is a LOW serial number and clean all around.

Relayer
11-10-10, 12:50
They had Avatar at the White Rose Gameroom show, also. I was tempted to play it, but the line for it was long, even though it was one of the few vendor owned pins that actually required money to play (the rest of the games were on freeplay). My daughter played it and thought it was a "neat game" (in the vernacular of a 14 y/o). In one of the gaming contests they had used the Avatar game.

SubaruBrat
11-10-10, 01:10
Let us know when you do Place that Trace on your site, I love the idea.

GameGavel
11-10-10, 05:00
Ya, that PONG is beautiful. If I ever see one at auction it will be mine as well. $700 is not a bad price if it's working.

miner2049er
11-10-10, 08:32
You mean again, or in general, disbelief or envy?

Envy, I would never see one for sale.

meu2
11-10-10, 09:17
Some real nice finds there, particularly the Pong machine. It looks in pretty good shape too. Do you know how much the Golden Axe machine went for in the end btw?

Chris
11-10-10, 11:44
One of these years Scott I'll have to come down to B-more and meet up with you at these shows. I'm about 3 hours from there and 1 1/2 from York.

SubaruBrat
11-10-10, 12:58
Miner; The templates for the pieces are out there, I have them if you want, the control panel is available as well from Steve Winslow. The electronics are easy to reproduce as well, in summary if you want one it is an easy reproduction.

Meu2; I didn't catch it, but Golden Axe varies between $250 and $400 in this area.

Chris; Lots of NY and NJ folks come to the auction, you would enjoy the auction and it would make a great Videomasters episode, let me know...

Relayer
11-10-10, 06:45
Let us know when you do Place that Trace on your site, I love the idea.

Will do. I'm preparing a minor update on the website layout (I don't like how the template tries to squeeze two articles together) and I wanted to keep (and update) Place that Trace. First thing's first, though. I just finished recording my first introductory podcast about vintage electronics and I'm deciding on the format I want to go with for future episodes.

vibri2001
14-10-10, 12:37
Ya, that PONG is beautiful. If I ever see one at auction it will be mine as well. $700 is not a bad price if it's working.

We had one listed here in Denver a few months back for $300, although it stated the monitor needed work. There's a historic value to it, but I never played PONG in the arcade (actually never saw one) so there is no sentimental value to it so I was not interested.

miner2049er
17-10-10, 01:46
Miner; The templates for the pieces are out there, I have them if you want, the control panel is available as well from Steve Winslow. The electronics are easy to reproduce as well, in summary if you want one it is an easy reproduction.

There must be an easier way.

Is there a Pong emulator/simulator I could run on my MAME Cab.

I know pong was in early MAME versions and is in misfitmame but the ones I've tried so far are lacking in some respect.

I need to be able to configure controls or use MAME keymaps and be able to run 1 or 2 player.

spauldingd
17-10-10, 04:05
The real PONG can't really be emulated like the majority of games in MAME as there was no "program". No ROM. It has discrete electronics to play the game so you might be able to find a good imitation, it won't be emulation.

But here is what I want to know...In the new Atari DS collection, PONG is listed as a game in the collection. Exactly what will that be I wonder?

I tried to find a good PONG game for my MAME cab a few years ago and was disappointed. Even if I did find a good one you can't really play it without 2 good spinners and I only have the one.

Dave in Des Moines

miner2049er
17-10-10, 04:30
I've found one that uses mame keymaps but i cant see how to play in 1 player mode.

SubaruBrat
17-10-10, 07:10
Pong was a two player game only, no machine controlled player.

miner2049er
17-10-10, 08:57
Yeah, the cab was but I was hoping to find a sim that wasn't. Oh well.

SubaruBrat
17-10-10, 11:04
There are one player pongs, I am not sure if the 2600 version has a one player option, you could try that and play it in your cab if it is.

miner2049er
24-10-10, 01:04
OK I found a great solution for 1 player Pong on the MAME cab.

Somebody out there will recognise the way I did it.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/videos/mamecabpong.htm

Todd1780
24-10-10, 02:54
Awesome finds, Subaru. This summer I sold my 2 remaining arcade games....a dedicated Robotron and a TigerHeli that was converted in a sitdown cab. I want to build a mame cab but it would have broke my heart to tear down a dedicated Robotron for it...and the tigerheli sitdown conversion took up too much floor space.
So I guess that leads me to a question......
We have a local farmers market here...a beautiful 3 level building where all the farmers and crafts people sell thier wares. The last time the wife and I walked through it, I noticed a very neglected Ms Pacman in the standard Galaga/Ms Pac cabaret cabinet. The monitor had burn-in and had a nasty yellow tinge to it, the side art was worn badly and it looked like it hadnt been maintained in years.
I was considering approching the vendor and asking him if I can take it off his hands....it looked like a wonderful restoration project, and I was hoping to use the proceeds to purchace a machine I can use as a mame cab when I take it to chicago for auction. I really doubt I would have the heart to make a mame cab out of a dedicated Ms Pac.
So what would you pay for a neglegted machine of this type? I've restored vintage guitar amps and TVs before...I would love the shot at restoring a Ms Pac to her former glory.

SubaruBrat
24-10-10, 04:04
A general rule of thumb is add up the cost of all the parts you need and subtract that from the going rate. This may be a good outcome in your case, figure a new monitor, new side art, CPO etc. and when your done you have a nearly new, and certainly new looking machine.

Todd1780
24-10-10, 06:00
So what is the current going rate for a restored Ms Pacman cabaret? Would it be worth offering him $200 for it as is?
I have a couple of good monitors laying around from previous projects (minus chassis), but even rebuilding the chassis shouldn't run that much....$15-$20 for a cap kit, reflowing the solder joints, etc...
I dropped a couple quarters in it so I could check it out. The controls are tight and responsive. I really want to give it a better home than it has now.