PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 24 - Oh She's Doing Fine

miner2049er
07-10-10, 11:12
I know, I know, we're early, but we couldn't hold this back any longer. Actually one of us couldn't hold it back at all.

The October show is now released and it is a huge one but the interview alone is worth the download as it opens up a previously untold side of the launch of Atari and arcades in general. It could also have an impact on the upcoming movie about Atari starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

For those that use Blackberrys and have the 40MB download limit we've split the 16k into 2 parts so make sure you grab both.

Editorial - (00:00)
Breaking News! - (40:26)
Hardware Flashback - (41:48)
Guinness Gaming Records - (58:02)
Mike'd Up - (59:27)
Ted Dabney Interview - (95:08)
Atar Rewind - (205:14)
The Desert Dump - (218:18)
Top Ten Atari Arcade Games - (231:12)
Gaming Trivia - (356:03)
News And Mailbag - (356:57)
URLS And Emails - (428:27)

As always, See the shownotes (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2010/roundup024_2010.10.htm) page. Donate (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) to the show.
Join our Facebook Group (http://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroGamingRoundup/121368478521). Listen to the October Outtakes (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/roundups/2010/RoundUp024_Outtakes.mp3).

Enjoy!

Leathco
07-10-10, 01:41
DANG, it came out really early!

Does this mean we got close to a two month wait for the November one? Or is there gonna be another UKMikes Thanksgiving Spectacular to ease the pain?

gavv
07-10-10, 01:42
Al Alcorn at his CGE 2002 panel went over what went on behind the Cosmos. I'll have to dig up my tape of it sometime and transfer it. Short of it was one of the things Nolan and some of the upper Atari guys liked to do is talk big about pie-in-the-sky ideas, under the guise of throwing off the competition (like 'yeah, well *we're* making a game with *holograms*') when nothing at all was happening. Then Al eventually decided 'you know, why not?' and they developed what turned out to be the first commercial thin film holograms to build what became the Cosmos around. He said iirc that they never did anything but a handful of prototypes and that it was cancelled because they (Atari Mgmt) decided it couldn't be commercially successful. So essentially Cosmos was Bushnell pull-it-out-your-ass trash talking turned into a Al Alcorn pet project.

gavv

miner2049er
07-10-10, 03:00
Scott once interviewed Al Alcorn at CGE, but for one reason or another (actually for one reason) the interview is no more.

We intend to do one with him at some point, he would be a very interesting "subject" and topical at the moment too.

GameGavel
07-10-10, 03:26
And we are up at AtariAge. Thanks to Albert!

http://atariage.com/

DeRocco
07-10-10, 03:36
Psyched. I was stuck listening to...ugh...music...on my commute.

BydoEmpire73
07-10-10, 03:38
And we are up at AtariAge. Thanks to Albert!

http://atariage.com/Wow, that's great! Congrats guys. Hopefully this will bring in some more new listeners as well.

vibri2001
08-10-10, 01:12
Thanks to the breaking news segment I was able to preorder the Intellivision Lives cart. Now I just have to find a DS. Hopefully my daughter will let me borrow her DS.

SubaruBrat
08-10-10, 02:15
Lots of friends of the show are helping to push this one, 8BitRocket, Atari Museum, Computerspacefan etc.

meu2
08-10-10, 09:41
Crikey that was fast. I still haven’t even finished listening to the last show yet. Guess SoCal Mike really pushed the schedule forward.

Dhalamar
08-10-10, 09:49
I'll be getting through at least 2 and a half hours of it starting here in about ... 10 minutes. Once I get my lazy ass up and head to work. :)

Dhalamar
09-10-10, 12:13
Ted is a hell of a classy guy, had I been in his shoes every other word about Nolan would've been "arrogant son of a bitch". Great interview. :) I'm to the part now in the top 10 where people are starting to cut out UKMike's picks. lol

Duke.Togo
09-10-10, 01:00
Love the Ted Dabney interview. Fantastic stuff. I had no idea that he had such a major role due to everything I've read. Hopefully now things can be corrected. I just started into the Top 10, so I'm curious to find out what could possibly beat Star Wars.

Leathco
09-10-10, 12:28
I'm hoping to get the interview in within the next few days. Been busy running back and forth between Evansville and Indianapolis on a contract job (hell, I just noticed I owe Mike money over on GG and gotta transfer cash to my PP account from my bank, and I won the auctions Tuesday, yikes), and I was hoping to listen to the interview on the road, but my phone has been going off the hook.

Gordon Bennett
10-10-10, 04:05
I'm going through the football-free news now.

In response to the bit about Euskal Encounters - it's an annual demoscene event held in the Basque country in Spain.

http://www.pouet.net/party.php?which=17&when=2010

The above link has information, screenshots and downloads for some of the party releases. There was even a very ugly Asteroids game released in the gamedev compo.

http://scene.org/dir.php?dir=%2Fparties%2F2010%2Feuskal18/

This one has all of the releases available to download.

Something also strikes me as being quite odd about the link that followed it, the one to the two page article on Associated Content. You noticed several errors in the article. I also noticed that the only credit given is to the publisher - not the writer. I do recognise the style of writing used. It reads like something written by a non-native speaker who is still learning English. Short sentences, simple structure and misuse of words quite unlike what you might expect from someone who grew up speaking English.

The article also has a short list of works cited. I know nothing more than what is on the page, but it honestly looks to me like it was written by a student and then uploaded to the web without giving the student any credit.

drthielegood
10-10-10, 04:24
Cool to see you guys mentioned on Atariage. Is this going to be a monthly mention or is it connected to the Ted Dabney interview?

Duke.Togo
10-10-10, 04:35
I'm hoping to get the interview in within the next few days. Been busy running back and forth between Evansville and Indianapolis on a contract job (hell, I just noticed I owe Mike money over on GG and gotta transfer cash to my PP account from my bank, and I won the auctions Tuesday, yikes), and I was hoping to listen to the interview on the road, but my phone has been going off the hook.

Had no idea that you lived so close. I am just south of Anderson. Go Hoosiers!

Leathco
10-10-10, 02:36
Had no idea that you lived so close. I am just south of Anderson. Go Hoosiers!

hehe, yea man. I live about 40 miles north of Evansville. Hows the used game hunting in your part of the state?

Duke.Togo
10-10-10, 04:35
hehe, yea man. I live about 40 miles north of Evansville. Hows the used game hunting in your part of the state?

On and off. There is a flea market that sometimes has some finds, other than that it is the standard garage sale hunting. I scour CL for some occasional deals, but it is mostly RROD 360's ><

There is a nice used game shop in Elwood if you ever get that far north called Previously Played, and there is always McVan's in Indy if you don't mind paying higher prices. McVan's usually has or can get most things though.

Edwards80
11-10-10, 02:37
I'm part way through the Interview now and it's awesome stuff. Being from the UK and growing up with computers rather than consoles, I didn't think this would draw me in like it has. It's easy to forget that these guys pretty much started the industry. . . although it seems it is easy to forget everything if your name is Nolan ;)

It's compelling stuff! Was sat at my desk listening to it at the office but some pesky co-workers showed up and want the radio on :)

Fortunately I have a train journey this afternoon!

Leathco
11-10-10, 05:11
On and off. There is a flea market that sometimes has some finds, other than that it is the standard garage sale hunting. I scour CL for some occasional deals, but it is mostly RROD 360's ><

There is a nice used game shop in Elwood if you ever get that far north called Previously Played, and there is always McVan's in Indy if you don't mind paying higher prices. McVan's usually has or can get most things though.

ah cool. We have a McVans in evansville, ive got a few games there, mostly commons twere cheaper there than paying to have them shipped to me. The best place close to me is k and m games in washington, locally owned. Hes a good guy and prices rare stuff about 30 percent cheaper than ebay.

Theres also some thrift stores here, you can randomly find some good stuff.

GarrickGreathouse
12-10-10, 06:13
One of the reasons the Jaguar failed was it's total lack of major third party support. Look at the list..
http://www.atariage.com/software_list.html?SystemID=JAGUAR
Completely lacking in anything Japanese like Capcom or Konami. Only a couple games from quality devs like Virgin, Ubi Soft, and US Gold. No EA, Apogee, or 3D Realms original titles. The best games for the system were wither ports of older titles or remakes of classics.

Games make the system. The PS2 was known for being a coders nightmare and had underwhelming hardware, but it STILL makes top selling console lists a decade later. I don't know that much about business, but I wouldn't have put any money manufacturing the system without some signed contracts containing names like "Mega Man" or "Madden"

BydoEmpire73
12-10-10, 07:54
Just started listening, and I really enjoyed the intro roundtable... but I can't believe the hate for XyBots! I love that game. I always put money into it in the arcade, and enjoyed replaying it on the "Arcade Classics" compos. If I were ever to have a home arcade I'd definitely have that on my short list of cabs to own. Then again I like both Pac Man and Defender on the 2600 (not that Pac Man is great, but I always had some fun with it and never thought it was as bad a game as people made out).

For "under the radar" 2600 games I always dug the carts from Apollo. Particularly Infiltrate and Space Cavern. Take a peek at the "Overlooked 2600 Gems" thread: http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3186

ComputerSpaceFan
13-10-10, 07:35
By the way everybody, with Scott's permission, I have posted a transcript of the Ted Dabney interview including links, on my website. Enjoy!
http://www.computerspacefan.com/Ted.htm
(whew that was a lot of work!)

SubaruBrat
13-10-10, 12:07
Thanks for all the hard work in doing that! Miner and I are still reading through it!

ComputerSpaceFan
13-10-10, 07:41
Thanks!
I intend to flesh it out a bit more in the next day or so with some more links to some of the stuff mentioned. I just wanted to get it up there and readable as soon as I could.

GameGavel
13-10-10, 07:41
By the way everybody, with Scott's permission, I have posted a transcript of the Ted Dabney interview including links, on my website. Enjoy!
http://www.computerspacefan.com/Ted.htm
(whew that was a lot of work!)

:GOODPOST:

Wow! That was quite an undertaking. Sweetness!

ComputerSpaceFan
13-10-10, 08:11
By the way, does anyone know who the fellow with the glasses is between Nolan and Al in that picture I put on my page? I assume maybe it's Bill Nutting? I couldn't find any info on him anywhere online.

GameGavel
13-10-10, 08:25
Nope. I was wondering the same thing. Maybe Scott can email to Ted and I am sure he would tell us :)

RedWolfJC
14-10-10, 02:39
My kids (8,5 and 3 years old) are sitting in the living room having a blast playing my old Atari 5200.
I'm so proud right now :D

GameGavel
14-10-10, 02:48
My kids (8,5 and 3 years old) are sitting in the living room having a blast playing my old Atari 5200.
I'm so proud right now :D

Nice! What games are they playing.

RedWolfJC
14-10-10, 03:14
Nice! What games are they playing.

They've been trading off between Qix and Joust... tried playing a little super breakout, but they thought it was too hard with the joystick...
I just booted them off though, so I could play some Dreadnought Factor, man I loved that game back in the day. Kinda surprised it's still a lot of fun after all these years...

Dhalamar
14-10-10, 06:45
They've been trading off between Qix and Joust... tried playing a little super breakout, but they thought it was too hard with the joystick...
I just booted them off though, so I could play some Dreadnought Factor, man I loved that game back in the day. Kinda surprised it's still a lot of fun after all these years...

I hooked up my Atari Flashback 2 for my 9 year old daughter (thanks again SoCal lol) and of ALL THE GAMES ON THERE TO PLAY ... she plays Arcade Pong. :P Then she tried 3D Tic Tac Toe. For one, how the hell do you play that son of a bitch, and two, why the hell did they put that on there? She loves those little plug and play games though, and it's not like I don't have enough of them. She plays my two Sega Arcade Legends ones all the time though. She's getting better at Sonic than I am.

BydoEmpire73
14-10-10, 03:13
My son has acquired his father's love of the Intellivision (never mind the TV wasn't turned on at the time):
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/4640/hpim0056q.jpg
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8900/hpim0055.jpg

By the way, the Ted Dabney interview is an amazing piece of history, and totally compelling. Thank you all for getting in touch with him and getting the interview. Great show.

GameGavel
14-10-10, 03:27
Great photos. He is really getting into it :GAMER:

SubaruBrat
15-10-10, 06:09
Great when the kids try out the old school games, my son grew up with both and moves between them like it was one and the same.

By the way, the Ted Dabney interview is an amazing piece of history, and totally compelling. Thank you all for getting in touch with him and getting the interview.When I really got serious about coin-op collecting and restoration an old trait of mine surfaced, going to the source. The first aircraft plans set produced with the idea of people being able to build it in large number was the Pietenpol Air Camper designed around the Ford Model A engine in 1932. I have built replicas of World War 1 aircraft as well as modern kit aircraft but I didn't feel like I had a iron grip on the history until I built a Piet and really got to the source. When I got deep into coin-op collecting I kept back tracking to the source, there was a conclusion that I arrived at with Computer Space being the birth. Sure there were other single efforts but to make a commercial product rather than a one off was a huge change that was needed to create what we have today. When I picked up my Computer Space I had all the key parts but needed to do a restoration on it to have a working game. I have worked on allot of vintage hardware but this was a challenge. I have restored vintage radios from the 30s 40s etc. and a 5 tube receiver breaks down to woodworking for the cabinet, replace the capacitors that have dried up, and replace the failed tubes.

Computer Space was different, you not only had to decipher the hacked interface to a TV but you had to figure out how the whole thing worked. You had fundamental circuits performing jobs. Think of it as calculations. You had one circuit counting rotation, another adding up score for player 1, another for player 2, etc. Each one is not a complicated circuit, just a couple of ICs which all together add up. But when you split them over 3 boards and disguise their ID numbers it gets more complicated than any modern board. There is no CPU, no ROM holding a game program, but rather a collection of multiple circuits working together to create the game. Which by the way, is much more complicated than Pong which used the same basic idea as Computer Space.

But much like the Pietenpol which was designed by Bernie Pietenpol I knew Computer Space had great minds behind it. While researching everything I could find about Computer Space I realized that much of what I had read, heard, and repeated (as many others had too) was wrong. Computer Space was the product of a team of creators. As I read, and researched even years past finishing the restoration it became apparent that Ted Dabney was a founding father of the game and the industry and his going uncredited really didn't set right with me. I didn't know what we would get when we first reached out to Ted, he had been off the radar, well, my entire life. It was great talking to Ted during the pre-interviews and of course during the full interview but the real amazing thing was that Ted went from silent to telling it all with us. In the course of this show we have talked to allot of our mentors in classic gaming and we have met gentlemen and jerkasses alike but Ted is unique in that he isn't just a great engineer but a really great guy who gives credit to everyone who deserves it and while not self promoting does not mind saying "Yes, I did that". Of all the classic gaming alumni that I have the ability to pick up the phone and call none is a greater privilege than Ted Dabney.

F-zero
15-10-10, 05:43
Great interview/podcast guys, thanks for all your hard work.

martyg
16-10-10, 07:43
By the way, does anyone know who the fellow with the glasses is between Nolan and Al in that picture I put on my page? I assume maybe it's Bill Nutting? I couldn't find any info on him anywhere online.

No, it's not. They were long gone from Nutting by the time that photo was taken (which would have been some time around late '72/early '73).

seanyboyuk
16-10-10, 07:47
By far the best RGR episode to date! Took me a while but im upto date with the podcasts!

The Atari landfill indeed is an interesting topic. Personally iam a believer that this place does exist. I saw some pictures a while back on the internet showing the dump zone was offbounds and some plans where they may exactly be on the site. Would be nice to get down there with a metal detector!

Makes you wonder if any other companies did this stunt back in the day?

The interview was fascinating too. I have always been a big Atari fan and its nice to hear another opinion rather than Nolans all the times. Good on him i say but he got a bad deal!

Which was the seaside resort Mike used to play Asteroids etc?

martyg
16-10-10, 08:33
The Atari landfill indeed is an interesting topic. Personally iam a believer that this place does exist. I saw some pictures a while back on the internet showing the dump zone was offbounds and some plans where they may exactly be on the site. Would be nice to get down there with a metal detector!

There's nothing to believe or not believe, Atari factually dumped stock there. It was covered in the press there on a day by day basis, including direct questioning of Atari execs on just what was being dumped there (they claimed non-functioning/malfuctioning product). What's not factual is that it was a massive ET dump. It was a wide variance of product including computers and peripherals, consoles, and game carts (multiple titles).

miner2049er
17-10-10, 12:28
The Atari landfill indeed is an interesting topic. Personally iam a believer that this place does exist.

Yeah, there's no doubt they dumped stuff, just the question of what they dumped.

Which was the seaside resort Mike used to play Asteroids etc?

Looe, Cornwall.

saberman
18-10-10, 03:44
Great show as always guys.
The top ten was as good as ever and nice to hear you all getting along so well this month :o). I do wonder sometimes if you shouldn’t just make it a top 12. As you all have said many times quite often all the games deserve to be there. The only reason not to make it a top 12 are the debate about what’s in and out. The political maneuvering over what’s in and out make for such good listening. If it were a pole I’d say keep it as a top 10 but thought I’d throw the idea out there to see what other people think?
The best bit of the whole show had to be So Cal Mike said that there are loads of great games on the ZX Spectrum. Hell yeah! I’m really looking forward to that top ten.

GameGavel
18-10-10, 04:11
Ted Dabney Interview Press Release - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/64237/RetroGamingRoundupcom_Podcast_continues_to_shedlig htnbspon_the_history_of_video_gamesnbsp_Interviews _VideoGame_Luminary_Mr_Ted_Dabney.php

eldphm
23-10-10, 12:41
No wonder you guys wanted this one out as soon as possible, I must say that you really managed the interview with Ted really well.

Maybe someone will interview one of you in 30-some years about the podcast,
("-Well Scott, who really came up with the idea of the news intro that you used for your first six years, i got one the books says that UKMike managed the soundbites at that period...")

SubaruBrat
23-10-10, 02:04
Brilliant!

miner2049er
23-10-10, 11:59
I got one of the books says that UKMike managed the soundbites at that period...")

That's because I will write that book. ;)

NESAtlas
25-10-10, 05:50
I just wanted to say thanks for mentioning my Atlas Videos (http://youtube.com/nesatlas)! It really brought a smile to my face :)

Feel free to suggest some games you'd like to see me work on next. I'm doing other consoles now as well.

GameGavel
25-10-10, 06:01
I just wanted to say thanks for mentioning my Atlas Videos (http://youtube.com/nesatlas)! It really brought a smile to my face :)

Feel free to suggest some games you'd like to see me work on next. I'm doing other consoles now as well.

No problem :) My only question is how in the HELL do you do your videos? Great stuff!! Feel free to promote any new videos here in our forums. We have a forum just for others to promote their video gaming websites, youtube channels, podcasts, etc. - Post under Listener Media.

SubaruBrat
25-10-10, 07:33
Yep, create a thread and we will sticky it, whenever you do a new vid you can post it there.

NESAtlas
25-10-10, 07:52
No problem :) My only question is how in the HELL do you do your videos? Great stuff!! Feel free to promote any new videos here in our forums. We have a forum just for others to promote their video gaming websites, youtube channels, podcasts, etc. - Post under Listener Media.

Thanks! It's a rather tedious process putting these together, but I've been at it for a couple months now so I've become much more efficient. I start with an Atlas Map (http://www.vgmaps.com) and a source video and basically mashup the two together in a frame-by-frame fashion. I used to use YouTube footage as my source videos but I kept coming across too many issues (horrible compression, incorrect aspect ratio, color differences, etc.) that the final output wasn't to my liking. See the Battletoads Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbAHFZkxS4Y) for an example.

I then came across the Tool-Assist Community (http://www.tasvideos.org) where it was suggested I export raw footage from emulators to use as my source videos. That solved a lot of my earlier problems and basically allowed me to output pixel-perfect videos in 1080p! Now with YouTube compression the quality degrades a bit as I believe they reduce the resolution then scale back up again, but if I ever create a Blu-ray compilation then these should look perfect on an HDTV as I save all of the originals.

Over time I've come up with numerous improvements I could add to these videos including full-screen effects and off-screen animations. Prince of Persia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqhNhs9jD8A) is a good example of this (floor switches open doors off-screen, etc.) but of course this adds considerably more time in the creation process. And just recently I've been working on doing Sega and SNES games too! The newer consoles are a bit more complicated to showcase like this with parallax scrolling, etc. but definitely not impossible. See Ecco the Dolphin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAaGKTLS_k8) for a nice example!

Of course I wouldn't be able to do any of this without the countless people who put in a lot of hard work into creating the actual atlas maps in the first place and also the continued development of the multiple custom, tool-assist emulators too! For this exact reason I try to credit everyone in the video.

Duke.Togo
26-10-10, 02:34
Wow, these videos are incredible! Keep up the great work, and I'd vote for some Castlevania III (maybe the stage with the falling bricks and acid the destroys them). To ask more, please go with the Famicom version for the superior music.

Chris
26-10-10, 02:50
Well I just finished up the recent show today and I have to say, kudos on another job well done! The Ted Dabney interview was fantastic, I had only heard of the guy before but knew little about him. That interview was really engaging and I had a ball listening to him. I never knew Nolan Bushnell was such a....character I guess you'd say.

I wish I was in position to take notes as I listen to the show, there are moments where I hear something and think "I have to tell the guys". But I can't write stuff down while driving and that's pretty much when I listen to the show! I loved listening to the Top 10 and yes I'm still waiting to hear my suggestion of "Top Ten Controllers" to come up. That debate doesn't just have to be about the controllers themselves, but also about the games that made them shine or stick out as "great controllers". There's potential there for Scott to wax technical about them (the Intellivision controller comes to mind) and there's also potential for good debate about the simplistic controllers of yesteryear vs. the more complicated controllers of the last 15 years. If emulation has taught me anything, there's nothing quite like interfacing with a game using a familiar piece of hardware that it was intended for and not the buttons of my old Ipaq.

GameGavel
29-10-10, 04:04
Over 5,000 downloads this month. Wow!

Todd1780
29-10-10, 09:27
Well I have to admit....I agree with the people who are complaining about the length of the podcast. I mean...come on guys...its not even close to being long enough!!
All kidding aside, fantastic job on the Ted Dabney interview. He is truly one of founding fathers of video games, and he deserves to be noted as such.
There has only been one time in my life that I had a chance to tear into a computer space machine (20 years ago in the basement of our shop). Its easy to look at the circuit design and say "Oh yea! I see what he was doing there!, its something else to be the man who was coming up with this stuff in the first place.
Mr Dabney has my respect.

SubaruBrat
29-10-10, 12:24
Thanks Todd, and everyone else as well, I sent off a thank you memento to Ted on behalf of our listeners.

As for the length, it is seldom that we hear any complaints these days but there are still those that have not figured out pause technology.

Chris
29-10-10, 08:21
I have no problem with the length of the show, it's perfect for tapping into during exercise and commuting.

Dhalamar
29-10-10, 10:57
I prefer longer podcasts personally. One of the other ones I listen to (PS Nation) is about 2 and a half hours long per week.

I understand the concept of a pause button as well. :P Sometimes the show stays paused for an entire weekend. heh

ComputerSpaceFan
30-10-10, 12:44
Just to play Devil's Advocate here, I used to be in the "too long" camp when it came to the podcast. I have since changed my mind, but one major factor in that was I got an iPod Touch.

The reason I bring this up is my old MP3 player did not have the functionality of resuming playback where the track was left off, I could only fast-forward from the beginning of the track every time, so if I listened to RetroGamingRoundup on my commute, after a couple of days I had to sit there fast-forwarding the show for quite a long time to get to where I last left off.
My perspective is that folks still using those kinds of MP3 players might be a bit annoyed at the length of the show and it might be one reason the vast majority of podcasts out there are only an hour long at most.

As I said, now that I have an iPod and just hit play and resume from where I got to the previous day on my commute it's no longer a point of contention for me, but others may not feel the same way.

meu2
03-11-10, 09:02
Great show guys. The Ted Dabney interview was fascinating. It’s a good example of how “history is written by the winners”. Now that I think back on it almost everything written about the formation of Atari mentions Nolan as the creator of both Computer Space and Pong, when in reality they were far from his sole creation.

Of course the tech question was inspired this month ;) I have to say I’m really impressed with Atari Age’s custom cart service. What a nice way to rid the world of all those unwanted Pac-Man and ET cartridges. Sure beats a landfill. Does anyone know of a site that does the same for Nintendo and Sega systems (maybe Nintendo Age)?

miner2049er
03-11-10, 09:59
My perspective is that folks still using those kinds of MP3 players might be a bit annoyed at the length of the show

Yes, we do have people with that issue which is why we started adding the timestamps so they can either bookmark or splice the show to suit them, but there is no good way of bookmarking within the mp3 at our end that doesn't risk breaking playback for far more people.

You can't please all the people all the time.

vibri2001
04-11-10, 12:59
Any idea when the Signed Intellivision Lives DS carts will be shipping?

GameGavel
04-11-10, 01:32
I haven't heard. Should be any day. I will talk with Keith and see. I am anxious myself.

ComputerSpaceFan
21-11-10, 03:37
Hello again.
I just wanted to say a big thanks to Scott and the two Mike's for plugging my website www.computerspacefan.com
I just checked my stats and I have had nearly double the usual visitors since the show aired.

Thanks for the plug you guys!

SubaruBrat
21-11-10, 04:08
NICE! And thank you for hours of tedious transcription, no small effort there of course.

Byte Knight
20-01-11, 04:43
Excellent interview with Dabney guys! I bet Dabney smoked a few heaters in his day - it sounds like he's got some emphysema...

miner2049er
20-01-11, 01:18
Well, he did have a cough and he was using an old bakelite phone I think, but yeah, he likes a smoke...

teknohed
11-02-11, 04:36
Ted Dabny interview was incredible. Nice work on that one guys. Also, I take issue with your characterization of Xybots. Maybe it's because I'm slightly younger than you guys, but I remember the "3D" gameplay of xybots to be exciting and innovative. I think looking back now it looks freeware, but at the time I was thinking it was like "Ultima in Space". Spiritual successor to Bezerk I say!