PDA

View Full Version : Checking in from Boston

DeRocco
04-10-10, 06:00
Hey all,
DeRocco from Boston checking in here. Listener since day one, but just joining up now. Hope you guys are doing well, looking forward to being part of this strange and deeply troubled group of people.

27 years old, grew up in what could be arguably the second golden age of gaming - NES, Master System, Genesis - in the arcades was Mortal Kombat, SF2, Addams Family, Twilight Zone.

Just building my first MAME unit from a decommissioned Dynamo cab, looking forward to the next project, someday a pinball refurb...

Other than that, lots of tattoos, firearms enthusiast (Scott, looking in your direction), and enjoying expensive food and wine with my wife.

Let's roll!

GameGavel
04-10-10, 07:43
Hey all,
DeRocco from Boston checking in here. Listener since day one, but just joining up now. Hope you guys are doing well, looking forward to being part of this strange and deeply troubled group of people.

Ha! Nice :C2:

Seriously, glad to have a listener from way back in the beginning join the forums. Now why in the heck did you wait so long?

DeRocco
04-10-10, 08:07
I honestly don't know. Too lazy? Too busy? Your guess is as good as mine.

miner2049er
04-10-10, 08:15
Which Dynamo can do you have?

My MAME Cab is an old Dynamo Solitaire Challenge. The thing is built to withstand a nuclear blast.

DeRocco
04-10-10, 08:33
It was a Tetris cab (I'm sure among other things). Transporting it and moving it around in my house, I realized those boxes are made to withstand pretty much anything you throw at them. It also weighs about 100 pounds with just the MDF, which is no easy feat to get around.

Just finished the paint and polyurethane coats this weekend. Looks sweet. Keeping the original bezel and marquee for posterity - should be totally finished within the month.

Here's documentation (http://arcadecrusade.tumblr.com/) of my ongoing struggle with the damned thing.

SubaruBrat
04-10-10, 08:33
Guns, wine, your the man. What are your fav's in both categories?

DeRocco
04-10-10, 08:47
Just picked up a Beretta 92FS INOX to add to the growing handgun collection, which includes a Glock 17 and 26, Taurus 44 revolver (hand cannon) , S&W 686P, and a Ruger Mark III; as for rifles, just put the rails on my Stag Arms AR15, a British .308, a Stoeger Coach Gun (Just like the one in Doom II) and a Remington 870. Woe unto the fool who breaks into my house.

As for wines, good French Cabs are always in. Nothing too crazy recently, but just finished off a lovely Chateauneuf '01, which was goddamned delicious. I've also been known to enjoy a nice bubbly (for my bicycle basket) - but, shit, I can get down with a two-buck-chuck shiraz if it comes right down to it.

SubaruBrat
05-10-10, 12:13
Cool, sounds like you need to get to Vegas for CGE, both hobbies are well represented. Just down the road from the retro games is the gun store (http://www.vegas.com/attractions/off_the_strip/gunstore.html?cm_sp=Attractions%20Level%202-_-The%20Gun%20Store-_-Thumbnail) where you can rent your choice of full autos. The restaurants there are ridiculously well stocked with anything you might want.

I have been on a .50 cal kick the last few years, the Desert Eagle .50 AE has been a favorite, and what really got me into reloading given that I can reload for about 50 cents a round rather than paying about $1.50 a round. Picket up a .50 BMG earlier in the year as well. The rest of the collection is your day to day AR15, Glock 27, 1911's, XD40, etc. I usually carry the XD .40 and my wife carries a Glock 9mm. Right now I am waiting on a Sub 2000 that has been on back order for weeks. Do you like the Taurus 44? I have heard it is a solid shooter.

retroshaun
05-10-10, 12:55
Is anyone else slightly weirded out by so much gun talk? I live in the States but being a Brit I still can't get used to guns being so "accepted", even though theres a store only a couple miles from my house! Carrying a Glock around? The closest I ever came to that was my cap gun when I was 6 - and I managed to get powder burns from that! LOL!

SubaruBrat
05-10-10, 01:14
Gun banning is a proven fraud, Chicago, D.C., New York etc. have the highest rates of crime where a gun is used and the strictest gun laws, areas with less restrictive gun laws have lower crime. The simple truth is criminals who are already committing crime don't mind committing a second crime by using a gun. This is also true in England, and even more perverted where a homeowner can go to jail for defending his family while the criminals have retained access to guns. I feel much better knowing my wife has the ultimate choice to defend herself and that I have an option other than to helplessly watch should the worse happen. Being an Army vet with combat time I don't have any teenage fantasies about guns, the only gunfight your guaranteed to win is the one your not in. What I choose is the capability to defend myself or family, and wish that such a moment never comes. And if anything having that capability sharpens your sense of obligation, knowing that if something arises and you do use that capability you had best be in the right, it makes you more aware of situations and avoiding them. Most people don't think about it along those lines. On a lighter note, recreation and sporting wise, it is just plain fun to shoot a 2ltr soda bottle from a half mile away.

DeRocco
05-10-10, 01:20
.50, sweet! In MA, the gun laws are absolutely insane - the Springfield Armory (strangely enough, located in MA) will not make MA compliant models of the Desert Eagle, nor will IMI who makes the bad ass chromed-out ones. As soon as I get more space, I'm going to start reloading. I picked up the Taurus .44 for around 400 bucks, it's a fucking hungryman. Very solid - great shooter, accurate as hell and after 1000 rounds+ I've had no timing issues. I'd go for it - it's the 6.5" Raging Bull Model (http://www.gunreports.com/media/newspics/selector/Taurus_Raging_Bull_444B8_44_left.jpg).

Oh, yeah - videogames, etc, etc.

miner2049er
06-10-10, 11:32
It was a Tetris cab (I'm sure among other things). Transporting it and moving it around in my house, I realized those boxes are made to withstand pretty much anything you throw at them. It also weighs about 100 pounds with just the MDF, which is no easy feat to get around.

There's no MDF on mine, it's all 3 quarter ply through out so it weighs a ton.

Here is my write up. http://www.jamesonline.net/arcade

DeRocco
06-10-10, 05:18
There's no MDF on mine, it's all 3 quarter ply through out so it weighs a ton.

Here is my write up. http://www.jamesonline.net/arcade

Upon further inspection, you are correct. All ply. My mistake. It's a shame, I have the original Dynamo hinged steel control panel, but the holes are not drilled to my specs, and I don't know any welders... going to have to fabricate a new control panel myself. Damn shame.

miner2049er
06-10-10, 06:15
You could hire a spot welder I guess and do it yourself, if you look at my write up it is literally a rectangular plate spot welded and then car body filler in the holes.

Sounds easy.