Columns
Bonanza Bros.
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle

Or you can get them all in one big pack for $14.99

SepticLemon
14-09-10, 01:22
errr....

Pick some better ones next time Steam?

Ok, saying that Bonanza Bros. is OK, but the arcade version is better... That and Ristar is a good game, but for the PC though?

Dhalamar
14-09-10, 03:48
Eh, they're just emulated versions anyway. I personally like Sonic Spinball, Fatal Labyrinth and Eternal Champions. :)

Cyberhawk
14-09-10, 03:58
Super Thunder Blade? Really?
Yeah, lets bring all the shitty games to Steam too, why not. So people can be pissed
off not only from stuff out in this generation, but also from stuff out of the 90s.

Leathco
14-09-10, 04:09
Ouch. What is Sega thinking releasing a batch like this?

Dhalamar
14-09-10, 04:16
Eh, they're ALL games that Sega made. They don't have to worry about licensing with that, they can do whatever they want with them. It's not like it's costing THEM anything.

meu2
14-09-10, 09:08
Eh, they're ALL games that Sega made. They don't have to worry about licensing with that, they can do whatever they want with them. It's not like it's costing THEM anything.

Exactly. Sega seem content to churn out a large proportion of their Mega Drive/Genesis content onto about every platform going. Of course people keep buying, so why not.

Dhalamar
15-09-10, 04:08
Exactly. Sega seem content to churn out a large proportion of their Mega Drive/Genesis content onto about every platform going. Of course people keep buying, so why not.

Nintendo does the exact same thing, only they're slightly worse. You get 50 million versions of the same game across Nintendo ONLY platforms. :) At least with the Sega games we have a bit more of a choice as to what to play them on. heh

Granted, I have the carts the ones listed that I actually like, and I've got Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, and all the roms to the games off the Genesis Collection on my phone. So meh.

SRG
15-09-10, 05:46
BUT Nintendo won't give us RETRO fans what we want, the real Arcade ports of Donkey Kong, DK Jr, Mario Bros, Vs Super Mario Bros, Popeye, ExciteBike(eff me I love the bus levels) and I know short of it on the Wii Hogan's Alley and Wild Gunman . I thought of one more but I blanked on it while typing Hogan and Wild Gunman....

Dhalamar
15-09-10, 06:55
BUT Nintendo won't give us RETRO fans what we want, the real Arcade ports of Donkey Kong, DK Jr, Mario Bros, Vs Super Mario Bros, Popeye, ExciteBike(eff me I love the bus levels) and I know short of it on the Wii Hogan's Alley and Wild Gunman . I thought of one more but I blanked on it while typing Hogan and Wild Gunman....

Yeah, Nintendo doesn't seem to honor it's arcade roots does it. How about WiiWare versions of the card games they used to do. :P

meu2
15-09-10, 11:14
There’s no doubt Nintendo are just as culpable as Sega when it comes to releases. They particularly love to farm out their NES catalogue, largely to the detriment of their arcade games. All the big companies do it though; it just makes good business sense. For example, how many times are Namco going to re-release Pac-Man?

SRG, where you thinking of Punch-Out!!, Arm Wrestling or DK3?

Cyberhawk
15-09-10, 12:20
Re-releasing good games like Pac-Man is one story, but doing the same with bad
ones is what I find stupid.

I mean, come on, do they think people didn't suffer enough from Super Thunder
Blade the first time around? I thought it should be at least clear, that the game has
bad reviews from fans on the internet.
If I would be a company re-releasing my old stuff in a time where retro gets really
popular I'd just go watch Classic Game Room HD and rely on what that guy thinks is
good. Because, quite obviously, the man has a huge following. It's like getting free
advertisement and a sort-of buying insurance.

Leathco
15-09-10, 12:39
I still think it ends up hurting Sega in the long run. Why put forward crap efforts like Thunder Blade and remind people of the bad games when you could work that nostalgia and bring out forgotten classics like Comix Zone, Vectorman, Sonic CD, Shadow Squadron, Gaires, Sagaia, Vapor Trail.....I mean geez, I could think of over a hundred games on the Gen, CD, and 32X that'd be better than frickin Thunder Blade.

meu2
15-09-10, 04:31
I would say that Thunder blade is better know, particularly among lapsed gamers, than many off those and that is the reason it was included. I'm sure it's also meant as a filler title for buying the bundle too. Whether or not this type of strategy hurts Sega in the long run remains to be seen.

Also, just because a game is derided on the web doesn't mean it doesn't have it's fans. Guilty pleasures and all that. Having said that I think Thunder blade is a pretty poor game!

Dhalamar
15-09-10, 05:46
I actually kind of liked Super Thunder Blade when I was younger.

Of course I play it now and wonder what the hell I was thinking. lol I don't think it's TERRIBLE on it's own merits (not saying it's good of course), but it's a pretty pathetic arcade port.

But for some reason I just liked it when I played it at a friend's house when I was younger.

meu2
15-09-10, 06:28
I suspect that's exactly the nostalgia companies hope to tap when re-releasing these types of games on new platforms.

SRG
16-09-10, 02:07
SRG, where you thinking of Punch-Out!!, Arm Wrestling or DK3?

As I said in a post the other day, I am pretty happy with the crappy DK3 ports we have gotten, plus when I play it I do it in MAME. I was thinking there was another game similar to Popeye?? hmmm I am still blanking I will look in MAME later.

Oh man, Punch Out and Arm Wrestling, I really don't think those could be done well in any port. In my opinion you really need the big KO button to make Punch Out work hehehe...

Arm Wrestling, gawd I still play the crap out of it. My local arcade had it for years, and at one point they had it for sale like $225 or $250, I could have saved up and got it I never did :( I get the chance again I am all over it!! Ok I have a question, has anybody ever beat it? I can easily get to Alice and the Robot, I have gotten to the point I can beat them, but I cannot beat Frankie :(

Dhalamar
24-09-10, 03:26
Okay, I'll admit it. If the packs for these go on some MASSIVE sale for Black Friday or something, I'll snag them. Just sayin' :P

I tend to save almost all my Steam buys for when they go on sale. That's the reason I have 120somethin games on Steam and I've barely spent a $150 total. I think the most money I've spent on any "one" thing on there was about 30 bucks, and that was for the "id Super Pack" which has :

The Commander Keen Collection
Doom 3
Doom 3 : Resurrection of Evil
Doom II
Final Doom
Heretic : Shadow of the Serpent Riders
HeXen II
HeXen : Beyond Heretic
HeXen : Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
Master Levels for Doom II
Quake
Quake II
Quake II Mission Pack : Ground Zero
Quake II Mission Pack : The Reckoning
Quake III Arena
Quake III Team Arena
Quake Mission Pack 1 : Scourge of Armagon
Quake Mission Pack 2 : Dissolution of Eternity
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Spear of Destiny
The Ultimate Doom
Wolfenstein 3D

And that was only 25 or 30 bucks when it went on sale.

Also got the "Unreal Deal Pack" from there for $12. Has ...

Unreal 2 : The Awakening
Unreal Gold
Unreal Tournament 2004 : Editor's Choice Edition (which I also have though GOG.com lol)
Unreal Tournament 3 Black
Unreal Tournament : Game of the Year Edition

Both were worth every fuckin' penny too. :P