PDA

View Full Version : Good games to emulate on a handheld?

saberman
13-09-10, 10:46
I have a number of handhelds I use for emulating retro consoles. Most of them have pretty much a standard list of emulators, 2600, C64, Spectrum, CPC, SMS, GB, GBA, NES, MD, SNES, ST, Amiga and (of course) MAME.

Out of the games available for those systems there are a lot that donít translate well to handheld emulation. There are the obvious ones like text adventures but I also avoid smups as on a small screen bullets can be difficult to see and in general you donít get as accurate controls on a handheld as you do on full blown console or a PC and a joypad. I avoid beat Ďem ups for the same reason.

Over time Iíve built up a library of games I like to emulate on handhelds but Iím always keen to add to the list. My most recent addition id ĎFire and Iceí for the NES thanks to So Cal Mikeís choices for the NES top ten a few months back.

I wondered if anyone had any theyíd recommend? Iíd particularly be interested in any for C64, CPC, SMS, ST or Amiga as I hardly ever play anything emulated on those.

Dhalamar
13-09-10, 01:18
I'm not gonna name off specific games, more genres and maybe some easier picks inside of a given genre.

RPGs and strategy games definitely. Especially if the emulators on your handhelds support save states.

8 bit beat'em ups like Mighty Final Fight, Battletoads (any of them), TMNT 2 or 3 and Batman Returns would work just fine on a handheld because you're not being gangraped by 5 or 6 guys on the screen at once like in the 16 bit and arcade ones, so they're a bit easier to manage on a handheld (I especially love playing Mighty Final Fight on the GBA personally). The same thing with shmups. I definitely wouldn't try to play a bullet hell shooter on a handheld, but something simpler like Galaga/Galaxian, 1942 or River Raid would definitely work.

Puzzle games, depending on the game would probably work. I always used to play Bust a Move on a handheld I used to have. Bejeweled style games would obviously also work.

As far as the SMS goes (my knowledge of the other systems you mentioned are almost non existent, so someone else will have to go there) ... take your pick because a lot of those games transferred successfully over to the Game Gear with little to no changes. Sprites on the SMS are generally pretty big because Sega was bent on showing up Nintendo graphically (and ultimately succeeding as far as I'm concerned).

But I'd say RPGs would work the best, I mean, just look at how many remakes there are for the GBC, GBA, DS, PSP, Wonderswan had at least one Final Fantasy game that I know of, etc etc.

It just kinda depends on how big the screen is on these devices. When I had my modded PSP I had shittons of Nintendo games on there. I think I played Lemmings more on that thing than I ever did on the PC back in the day. But the PSP also has a pretty big screen on it too. heh

saberman
18-09-10, 12:43
Cheers mate I have played some RPGs but think I’ll check some more out on your recommendation. I’ll admit I do play Galaxian, 1942 and River Raid on handhelds I’m not a fan of Galaga so don’t play that too often anyway.

I’ve not tried Final Fight, or Mighty Final Fight so will check that out too.

lestat1uk
23-09-10, 01:24
I have a number of handhelds I use for emulating retro consoles. Most of them have pretty much a standard list of emulators, 2600, C64, Spectrum, CPC, SMS, GB, GBA, NES, MD, SNES, ST, Amiga and (of course) MAME.

Out of the games available for those systems there are a lot that donít translate well to handheld emulation. There are the obvious ones like text adventures but I also avoid smups as on a small screen bullets can be difficult to see and in general you donít get as accurate controls on a handheld as you do on full blown console or a PC and a joypad. I avoid beat Ďem ups for the same reason.

Over time Iíve built up a library of games I like to emulate on handhelds but Iím always keen to add to the list. My most recent addition id ĎFire and Iceí for the NES thanks to So Cal Mikeís choices for the NES top ten a few months back.

I wondered if anyone had any theyíd recommend? Iíd particularly be interested in any for C64, CPC, SMS, ST or Amiga as I hardly ever play anything emulated on those.

At the moment i am playing Cave story on the gp2x/wiz emulator for the pandora. On mame i quite like Penguin kun wars, very strange little game there, c64, i really liked parallax, and uridium, for the spectrum, yep i am going to be boring, manic miner, sabrewulf,deus ex machina (very very odd game), and all or nothing, sms, alex kidd in miracle world, donald duck lucky dime caper. Nes little nemo, river city ransom. For the MD i still play sensible soccer, and shadow of the beast. mega cd luner the silver star, batman returns.

that is all i can think of right now, as far as shoot em ups go, you could always plug your chosen handheld into the tv?

saberman
27-09-10, 10:02
I’ve been rather silent on this thread since posting it. The reason for that is that putting together Dhalamar’s RPG advice with the SMS top ten I started playing Fantasy Start, for the SMS on my Dingoo. While it is very unforgiving, I died very quickly in the first half dozen games I played, I’m now addicted.

Thanks to everyone who responded you’ve opened up a lot of avenues for me to explore :).