PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 022 - Stop! Thief!!

miner2049er
25-08-10, 10:34
The August Podcast (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2010/roundup022_2010.08.htm) is out on our site and going up to the rss feed right now.

One of our longer efforts for your enjoyment.

Hardware Flashback - (00:00)
Mike'd Up - (32:20)
The Enigma Machine - (55:53)
Keith Robinson Part 1 - (75:22)
The Liberace Museum - (137:01)
Guinness Gaming Records - (138:03)
Top Ten Apple 2 Games - (139:27)
I Dream Of Jeanie - (278:29)
It Came From MAME (279:20)
Gaming Trivia - (291:36
News And Mailbag - (292:18)
Mega Drive Or Genesis LIVE! - (404:42)
URLS And Emails - (405:26)

As always, don't forget the Donate (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) button.

Leathco
25-08-10, 11:30
*looks at time*

....maybe I should take it easy on the news submissions.....

Edwards80
25-08-10, 11:49
Excellent. I'm 30mins away from being out of gaming podcasts to listen to :D I reckon i'm due a donation too. Especially after last months top ten. I bought Donkey Kong on the Gameboy for 2 this week and am currently addicted to it.

SubaruBrat
25-08-10, 12:11
Hope you all enjoy it! The Keith Robinson interview as a really fun one to do. It was at the close of CGE on Sunday evening and spanned the time of the guests leaving the floor up until the time most exhibitors had packed up and left. What I enjoyed most about Keith is that you can ask him pointed questions, intentionally inaccurate questions to probe for a response, and he takes no offense and just gives you good information. Keith is a class act.

BydoEmpire73
25-08-10, 09:55
*looks at time*
....maybe I should take it easy on the news submissions.....Yeah, same here... Then again, I hear there's a fair bit of comedy in the news this month...

Started listening this morning, sounds like a good episode.

GameGavel
25-08-10, 10:33
Then again, I here there's a fair bit of comedy in the news this month...

Ya, you could say that :WINK:

Chris
25-08-10, 10:45
This interview with Keith Robinson is making me want to buy Intellivision DS and I've never even played Intellivision.

Leathco
25-08-10, 11:14
I have been thinking about getting Intellivision Lives for PS2....

Gordon Bennett
26-08-10, 01:04
I want Intellivision DS so, so very much. I was kind of dissapointed with Intellivision Lives on the Gamecube. The games were fine, but the controllers are too different for many games to be played properly.

This should fix that, and with virtual overlays as well. WANT.

Oh, and I'm also quite looking forward to listening to the podcast as well. With this, the one other gaming podcast I enjoy (Gamewank), and a new episode of Off the Ball (an irreverent radio show about Scottish football), I am set for listening. This happies me.

Relayer
26-08-10, 02:59

I've been thinking about digging out my original Intellivision after listening to the interview.

I'm sure I'll buy the Intellivision DS when it comes out. I'll just need to snag my son's DSi so I can play it.

Even better, my birthday comes up near the time Intellivision DS comes out. I can get myself a DSi XL and both play that game and make my son envious of my new toy.

SubaruBrat
26-08-10, 12:34
Dig it out and bring it to the next CGE, I got mine signed by a bunch of the Intellivision guys, it is awesome to play Astrosmash signed by John Sohl in a console signed by a half dozen INTV guys. The INTV crew are all really nice guys and will sign whatever you bring, another great reason to get to CGE next time!

Relayer
26-08-10, 03:25
Dig it out and bring it to the next CGE, I got mine signed by a bunch of the Intellivision guys, it is awesome to play Astrosmash signed by John Sohl in a console signed by a half dozen INTV guys. The INTV crew are all really nice guys and will sign whatever you bring, another great reason to get to CGE next time!

My wife is hardly the classic gaming freak that I am. She supports my hobby, but isn't very active in it. However, I mentioned the Intellivision DS and the RGR podcast interview from CGE and she was all, "Really, there's a show like that? Like.... We need to go there next year!!"

Time to start filling up the Vacation Club account, I suppose. I'll then need to decide if I want to bring an original Intellivision, INTV II, or the INTV computer component.

The problem is all the good shows are "out west". The closest thing I got that's classic gaming related is the East Coast Gaming Expo near Reading, PA. Not that it isn't a cool show, but it's more "flea market" with gaming tournaments than an expo with guest speakers.

BydoEmpire73
26-08-10, 03:26
After listening to this month's Mike'd Up I have a question for SoCal. Culture Club? Really?

Have you guys done a top 10 Intellivision yet? I don't remember if you have or not, but it'd be a good one for next month if you have a Pt. 2 of the Keith Robinson interview.

GameGavel
26-08-10, 05:24
After listening to this month's Mike'd Up I have a question for SoCal. Culture Club? Really?

Have you guys done a top 10 Intellivision yet? I don't remember if you have or not, but it'd be a good one for next month if you have a Pt. 2 of the Keith Robinson interview.

Ya, you know Culture Club the very popular 80's band that many straight people used to like. You know you liked Karma Chameleon, come on now :)

Intellivision sounds like a good choice for next months top-10 as you mention. Let's do it guys !

Flare
26-08-10, 05:42
I'm not ashamed to say I like their songs "Miss Me Blind" and "Time".

Yeah, I like Culture Club and I like meat, beer and broads.

GameGavel
26-08-10, 09:05
‎(SoCal) Intellivision is plugging our Keith Robinson Interview on their website - http://intellivisionlives.com/ as well as to all 3,000+ of their Facebook fans. Let's all support them and go out and purchase Intellivision Lives DS the day it becomes available.

Turbo2Xs
26-08-10, 09:28
About darn time!

I mean, how dare you guys take this long to release this free entertainment that no doubt took a long time for free! :MD

Shenanigans!

:CPCH:

heh

meu2
27-08-10, 08:38
Only about half way through the show so far, in the middle of the Keith Robinson interview, but it’s already shaping up to be on of the best.

My favourite section so far has to be UK Mike’s history of computing. It’s this attention to detail that makes RGRUP stand out from the crowd in my opinion. Other podcasts tend to focus on an era, such as Atari or Nintendo, but you guys cover the full range of gaming and what made it possible. Be it pinball and other coin-op or enigma computers to LCD games, nothing is left unexplored.

Classic Gumming – Priceless.

BydoEmpire73
27-08-10, 03:53
My favourite section so far has to be UK Mike’s history of computing.I really enjoyed that segment, too. And it was kind of a nice lead in to Keith Robinson talking about his early programming. Halfway through the interview now, great stuff.

Dhalamar
27-08-10, 05:49
UK Mike : When you made that comment about the Wasted Seconds Podcast being rather random (dunno if that was good or bad, but either way, it's SOMETHING lol) ... you haven't talked to me in person. I have severe ADD which makes it insultingly difficult for me to stay on one thing for more than a few minutes. That's why the podcast tends to be "Halo sucks, Master Chief sucks, Quake rules ... oh shiny! I wanna play Atari now. Hey, here's some tits." :P

That and we never really have a plan. It's usually like "Okay ... Josh wants to talk about Halo. Anybody else got somethin? No? Fck it, do it live."

Thus the reason I will NEVER do a show by myself, which is why it's always friggin' late. :)

meu2
27-08-10, 06:32
I really enjoyed that segment, too. And it was kind of a nice lead in to Keith Robinson talking about his early programming. Halfway through the interview now, great stuff.

That was a nice segue alright. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it must have been to create digital entertainment using punch cards. I get annoyed when a program takes more than a few seconds to compile.

Leathco
27-08-10, 09:47
The only program writing I have ever done was in Basic as a kid. Kinda strange to see how easy I had it, I could easily run programs and see the results without having to wait weeks for the result. I also checked out the news segments, and I gotta agree with the idea of trimming the news. Often times I send stuff that either really is news, or stuff that I just think you guys might get a laugh out of (the iPad jack off thing for example). You guys being able to look through everything and "trim the fat" is a great way to keep things under control, especially with my habit of saying "they guys will find this funny!" and sending it in to the news.

I haven't had a chance to listen to this one all the way through yet, just snippets here and there. Been a busy week, plus I'm hunting for a new job.

Oh, and I got stung by a fucking nest of wasps today too while working on the yards. My lower leg is swelled up like hell. It was a hilarious picture to my wife though, me attempting to run on one leg, using my hand to swat at the other leg as I half run half stumble across the yard to in side the house to douse my leg in cold water. I guess I ran over them with the mower or something. All I know is that it hurts like hell still, after 5 hours. Yea, nothing to do with the podcast, I'm just venting.

GarrickGreathouse
28-08-10, 03:39
http://medianightmare.squarespace.com/storage/england.jpg

miner2049er
30-08-10, 10:32
UK Mike : When you made that comment about the Wasted Seconds Podcast being rather random (dunno if that was good or bad, but either way, it's SOMETHING lol)

It wasn't either really, just an observation. I guess the polar opposite of our show with it's defined segments, and there is a need for both.

http://medianightmare.squarespace.com/storage/england.jpg

Haha! I love it.
..... and yes, we do.

saberman
30-08-10, 05:39
‎(SoCal) Intellivision is plugging our Keith Robinson Interview on their website - http://intellivisionlives.com/ as well as to all 3,000+ of their Facebook fans. Let's all support them and go out and purchase Intellivision Lives DS the day it becomes available.

OK mike you talked me into it :). Actually hearing the interview made me want to buy Intellivision lives DS the day it comes out.

BydoEmpire73
30-08-10, 06:27
I sold my DS a while back, but I might still pick up Intellivision Lives for it anyways, just to support them. Intellivision Forever!

SubaruBrat
30-08-10, 06:30
What was really cool was getting to meet most of the guys who made that cart's software. It isn't some code shop in Korea where they could give a shit about accuracy, it is a bunch of the original guys working together and wanting to get it just right while dealing with publishers who want to get it wrong. And don't forget, this provides the cashflow to fund their break even projects like making new carts and hardware!

readboy
30-08-10, 07:50
This interview with Keith Robinson is making me want to buy Intellivision DS and I've never even played Intellivision.

Ditto, sounds really good and it'll be a new experience.

videomasterstv
31-08-10, 03:15
Hey guys,

Just listened to a chunk of the episode on a train ride (yes, I listen to the show in chunks to and from work). Thanks for plugging VMTV. It's difficult not to smile, or laugh happily when you hear about your creation being complimented, while you're on a crowded train. Then again, my train is filled with Jews, Hobos, and Mexicans. They probably wouldn't have cared, or noticed.

I would like to point out something, though. I wish my co-hosts got a bit of a mention as well. I'd hate for it to sound like I do ALL the work myself.

Sure, I created the show. I host it and edit the final version of each episode. There's also these great talented individuals I have the honor of working with. Matthew, Chris, Bree, Jason, Matt (Rau), and of course, UKMike as Earl the Robot, they all do a fantastic job. There has never been a bad segment they've given to me.

What I find funny is that those segments I was hesitant to air because of its lack of relevance to gaming, those segments ended up being incredibly popular, like Matt Rau's Wine and Comics, and the Play View segment which he created originally in Season 2.

Sorry if this is long winded, folks. I felt this needed to be addressed publicly. There wouldn't be a show without these guys. They all add something to the table, in the same respect that SoCal, UK, and Scott bring their own style to the table.

miner2049er
31-08-10, 08:35
I've been playing lots of Fast Lane. Great call on the game.

Oh, and the level does end when you drive over all of the sand / grass / dirt etc and "clean" the level.

Byte Knight
01-09-10, 05:31
Intellivision sounds like a good choice for next months top-10 as you mention. Let's do it guys !

That would be awesome! You've already done top 10 lists for the Atari and ColecoVision, so it's time to give the Intellivision some love... I expect B-17 Bomber to take top honors!

SubaruBrat
01-09-10, 05:38
Oh then you will love our interview with John Sohl and several other members of the B17 team. As a pilot with B17 time in my logbook I was stoked to talk to the guys that made that game.

My house out the right waist gunner position, it is the corner lot just down from the middle of the pic, a red car on the street in front:

http://www.subarubrat.com/misc/B17Sept17.jpg

View looking left from the pilot's seat;

http://www.subarubrat.com/misc/B17Sept11.jpg

Byte Knight
02-09-10, 06:17
Wow, that kicks ass that you got to fly a B-17! Looking forward to the interview!

Don't know if you saw this, but there was a remake of the game for the DS called B17 Fortress in the Sky. It's pretty fun and I played through all the missions, but I still prefer the original...

SubaruBrat
02-09-10, 06:41
What was funny is when they were telling us about how hard it was to get all the instruments to display meaningful data to be accurate, I told them they could have just slapped an INOP label or cover plate over a third of them and it would have been more accurate..."Oh now you tell us."

Check out the instrument panel in Aluminum Overcast, the B17 we the EAA operate, note the authentic WWII dual Garmin color GPS NAV/COMM radios.

http://subarubrat.com/misc/B17Sept15.jpg

saberman
02-09-10, 01:33
I listened to the top ten debate last night and have to say I think it was the best there’s been for several months. Some good contention and debate and a surprise number 1.

I’ve never played on an Apple ][ but it brought back some great memories particularly of playing Bard’s tail on the Speccy. I agree with the comments about that kind of game being huge back then. In fact I dug out Bards Tail and started playing it straight afterwards.

BydoEmpire73
03-09-10, 04:27
I was driving home from work tonight listening to the podcast, and I almost drove off the road I was laughing so hard. Vince Dickindaughter? Nice one SoCal...

Gordon Bennett
03-09-10, 07:22
That would be awesome! You've already done top 10 lists for the Atari and ColecoVision, so it's time to give the Intellivision some love... I expect B-17 Bomber to take top honors!

My very first console, before I discovered the joys of home computer gaming. It's one I'd love to hear, especially if it can somehow coincide with the release of Intellivision Lives! on the DS.

B-17 Bomber was indeed brilliant, but I personally prefer Treasures of Tarmin. For some reason it never gets the love that was given to the first Dungeons and Dragons licenced game despite being both vastly superior and unlike anything in either the arcades or on consoles at the time.

Utopia gets a very close second from me.

saberman
03-09-10, 04:32
I was driving home from work tonight listening to the podcast, and I almost drove off the road I was laughing so hard. Vince Dickindaughter? Nice one SoCal...

The show should come with a health warning :).

Turbo2Xs
04-09-10, 07:08
Just wanted to say that I listened to half the show on the way home (for leave) and the rest will be on the way back.

Impressions to come but I'll say this much. " :) "

miner2049er
04-09-10, 10:35
Impressions to come but I'll say this much. " :) "

Well that will do for now. ;)

Byte Knight
05-09-10, 04:56
My very first console, before I discovered the joys of home computer gaming. It's one I'd love to hear, especially if it can somehow coincide with the release of Intellivision Lives! on the DS.

B-17 Bomber was indeed brilliant, but I personally prefer Treasures of Tarmin. For some reason it never gets the love that was given to the first Dungeons and Dragons licenced game despite being both vastly superior and unlike anything in either the arcades or on consoles at the time.

Utopia gets a very close second from me.

My first console as well - all my friends had Atari's... Played a lot of the original D&D but not Treasures of Tarmin. Also played a lot of Astrosmash, Night Stalker, Discs of Tron, and Sub Hunt. Loved the sports games & Sea Battle but with no single player mode, they didn't have much replay value after beating my friends a few times...

Gordon Bennett
05-09-10, 05:52
Treasures of Tarmin is absolutely essential if you can get it running on the original hardware or via some form of emulation that supports the overlay properly. It's a first-person dungeon crawler. Absolutely unheard of on the wee Intellivision, and every bit as much of a breakthrough on that platform as Adventure was on the Atari 2600.

By the way, as I failed to mention it before, I loved the interview this month, and am really looking forward to the conclusion. It's rare that I have patience for a long audio interview, but this one had me captivated from start to finish.

Byte Knight
07-09-10, 07:50
Treasures of Tarmin is absolutely essential if you can get it running on the original hardware or via some form of emulation that supports the overlay properly. It's a first-person dungeon crawler. Absolutely unheard of on the wee Intellivision, and every bit as much of a breakthrough on that platform as Adventure was on the Atari 2600.

Turns out I've got the game in my collection so I fired it up today. Amazing game for it's time, but I'm not a fan of the turn-based RPG's. So I played some original AD&D (now apparently called Cloudy Mountain) and was finally able to beat the game on Hero mode. The key is using two contollers to be able to run and fire at the same time. Anyway, I think that both games should make the top 10...

BydoEmpire73
07-09-10, 09:20
I think that both games should make the top 10...Definitely, both need to be on there. Treasure of Tarmin is one of the most ahead of its time games ever. There wasn't another console RPG anywhere near it for years to come. D&D Cloudy Mountain has to be in the top 5 as well, if not #1. It would be really hard for me to pick just ten, let alone four games. Both D&D games, Astrosmash and He Man? Burger Time? Utopia? Dracula? Atlantis? Looking forward to next month (or whenever you do the Inty Top 10)...

teknohed
07-09-10, 10:11

I have it for the XBox (not to mention I've repurchased a couple games in Game Room). It's a great little anthology. This is probably flame bait, but personally I think that most of the "4-bit" games (i.e. 2600 / Intellivision / Colecovision) games do not hold up well enough if you don't have fond memories of playing them as a kid. I fired up the Intellivision Lives Disc and was bored in about 30 minutes (which includes about 28 minutes of astro smash). I'm going to buy the DS version, but mostly just to support the scene.

Dhalamar
07-09-10, 10:57
I have it for the XBox (not to mention I've repurchased a couple games in Game Room). It's a great little anthology. This is probably flame bait, but personally I think that most of the "4-bit" games (i.e. 2600 / Intellivision / Colecovision) games do not hold up well enough if you don't have fond memories of playing them as a kid. I fired up the Intellivision Lives Disc and was bored in about 30 minutes (which includes about 28 minutes of astro smash). I'm going to buy the DS version, but mostly just to support the scene.

Definitely not gonna get flamed here. I had one of my friends play Asteroids and Missile Command on the Atari Flashback 2 recently. And she has very little memories of anything before about the SNES, and most of her gaming started with the Nintendo 64.

Those are two of my favorite Atari 2600 games (among others like Star Trek, Beamrider, Tac/Scan etc) and I can still sit there and play them with the same shit eating grin I had when I was 6. They're great. She wasn't that impressed and barely lasted 30 seconds in them before either getting hit by an Asteroid or losing one of her cities. :P She doesn't hate them, she just doesn't have the same appreciation I do for them, so she probably won't be going back to them unless I have her play them. :)

And I've got Intellivision Lives! for the PS2, that was my first experience with Intellivision ... I didn't even emulate it despite the fact that I was posting news about emulators on some of the biggest emulation sites on the web ... back when emulation was still interesting ... and a lot of those games definitely need memories. Astro Smash is a great game ... probably because it's so much like Asteroids hehe ... but I can't play it for as long as I can sit down with the previous 2600 games I mentioned.

Here's some flame bait for me ... I like playing my little blue 10 in 1 Intellivision plug and play controller though. :) Just out of pure convenience. It's weird, I HATE the game Feeding Frenzy but I absolutely adore Shark Shark. Go figure.

RobMcRaf
08-09-10, 12:31
Too bad Craigslist closed the adult services ad section.
Here is one for the records.
Someone snapshotted a good ad.
http://i.imgur.com/I5JzA.png

P.s. Been a listener of Internet Radio since Shane Monroe started Retrogaming Radio and they just get better over the years. Shows come and go, people too, but the quality of shows in general just seems to improve.

Leathco
08-09-10, 12:36
See, I enjoy a lot of the 2600 titles cause it was my first system as a kid. I wonder if that enjoyment would sway over to the Intellivision.

RobMcRaf
08-09-10, 12:40
Loved the Football, Horse Racing, Poker & Blackjack, Utopia (very unique at the time), Sea Battle, and B-17 Bomber. I can still hear all the sound bites from that game "Flack, Flack". "Target in range.. Booombs Aawayyyy" "That was onnn taaarget" "Bandit, Twelve-o-clock!" There was a trick to getting the target in site without looking thru my bomb site forever. Space Spartans was slick too, but B-17 was the best. Spent a lot of time with the sports titles and can still remember the play codes for my 2 favorite plays in Football 25(?) years later. Was sooo superior to the 2600 in my mind.

SubaruBrat
08-09-10, 02:29
Good observations, glad to have you on hand.

Byte Knight
08-09-10, 04:10

The problem with the anthologies is trying to emulate the controller. I still think the best way to play most INTV games is with the original console - mine has the composite video mod. I plan to get the DS version, but I fear that too will not let you play by "feel" like you can with the raised buttons below the overlays on the original controllers...

Edwards80
08-09-10, 09:22
There is another issue with emulation/compilations - had this point hammered home this weekend at Eurocon ( www.eurocon.info )

Back in the day, when you got a new game, you would invite some mates over to play it and as you only got a new game every so often, you would play it for a while no matter how bad it was. At the event this weekend, we spent flippin ages playing combat and Indy 500 on the Atari 2600. I know I have tried them in emulation and thought "meh" but they are awesome fun.

Going for high scores/beating your mates makes alot of bad/boring games playable for some reason :)

To keep this on topic - PLEASE STOP THE STETSON ADS! I nearly snorted coffee all over the nice lady opposite me on the train yesterday, after a totally unexpected "Stetson . . . Gets you...Anal" - How would I have explained what I was laughing at? :D

Leathco
08-09-10, 11:03
The Stetson ads MUST continue. The more unexpected the better.

miner2049er
08-09-10, 12:19
Haha! We will continue the Stetson Ads until all of the Stetson Aftershave there is in the world has been sold.

alyinsanfran
10-09-10, 10:11
Just finished the show, GREAT job guys, it's going from strength to strength. I bloody-near ran off the freeway when you were throwing the Vinces around.
Vince Yourdick'sstucktomychin?

Great rapport between you three, which makes it very fun to listen to.

SubaruBrat
10-09-10, 10:28
We have received some complaints though on our top ten, to be fair we will air the listener's rebuttal next month.

teknohed
12-09-10, 06:42
just got done listening to the show.

2 take aways: the US listeners need to donate and I'm glad I didn't sound as drunk as I actually was during the I dream of Jeanie Segue.

miner2049er
12-09-10, 11:59
LOL, I wonder how many guessed it was you.......

meu2
12-09-10, 01:05
We have received some complaints though on our top ten, to be fair we will air the listener's rebuttal next month.

Is that the rebuttal I think it is?

saberman
13-09-10, 07:18

Really?

I‘ve already said I think it was the best top 10 for a while. Stil I’m looking forward to hearing the rebuttal :). I'd guess someone feels particularly passionate about a game from their youth. At least that’s better than being passionate about Stetson :).

BydoEmpire73
13-09-10, 02:59
Really?

I‘ve already said I think it was the best top 10 for a while. Stil I’m looking forward to hearing the rebuttal :). I'd guess someone feels particularly passionate about a game from their youth. At least that’s better than being passionate about Stetson :).I really enjoyed the top 10 this month as well. I usually agree w/ SoCal on picks and ordering more than Scott or UK, and the three of you always throw some curveball picks in there, but that's what makes it fun. The listener rebuttal might be fun, too, though.

Leathco
18-09-10, 02:20
Never owning the system, I couldn't really give any input on this top ten. I still enjoyed it, it makes it kinda interesting when I have no clue about the games and they are slowly explained to me.

Chewchilla
22-09-10, 07:56
If anybody was thinking about visiting the Liberace Museum in Las Vegas, you better do it quick. It's closing its doors October 17th.

Liberace Museum closing marks end of an era (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39273852/ns/travel-destination_travel/)

miner2049er
22-09-10, 11:59
I think it was fate that SoCal made it this year.

Amen brother. ;)

gavv
06-10-10, 04:15
A very nice top ten, though i definitely don't think Solo Flight should have been near the top of the list. I played and enjoyed most every game on the list (never got to Hacker II), and yes I did like Bilestoad. My 'Best of the Rest' for Apple II would be others that might have been multiplatform but started on apple II like Lode Runner, Dino Eggs, Hardball, and a little Beagle Bros game I just loved called I.O. Silver.

gavv

seanyboyuk
14-10-10, 02:07
Hey guys!

Thanks for my shout in this months podcast! Indeed check the game out and review it PLEASE! :) At least try it out on emulation!

I found the enigma machine article very good too, I have spent many hours online reading about the prehistoric age of computing, its fascinating how huge these machines were back in the day!
I visited the Museum of Science And Industry in Manchester a few years ago and they had a couple of pcs from the 70s in their tech area on one of the floors in the warehouse. Are these still there? Cannot remember which systems they had there but i am sure one was working and it took a whole room up with just this small vdu!

miner2049er
14-10-10, 02:30
They were still there when I went but it was years ago and I don't remember what they were.