PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Dreamcast

tomtom2play
25-08-10, 03:55
Awesome show. I love the banter between socal, Scott, and UK. You guys offer so much great info. It makes my weekend bicycle rides fly by.
I am thinking of buying a dreamcast, and I would like to get recommendations on the best of this system. I don't really like sports titles or fighters.
Thanks in advance
tomtom2play:GB

Dhalamar
25-08-10, 04:18
Giga Wing
Ikaruga
House of the Dead 2
Shadow Man
Sega GT
Worms Armageddon
Re-Volt
Resident Evil Code Verionica
MDK 2
Evolution
Crazy Taxi 1 and 2
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
Vanishing Point
Red Dog
OutTrigger
Quake 3 Arena
Unreal Tournament
F355 Challenge

And there is TONS of homebrew for the thing as well.

Duke.Togo
25-08-10, 04:22
Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi, Jet Grind Radio, Space Channel 5, and Daytona USA right off the top of my head. The Dreamcast library was full of great titles, so I am sure you will see many recommendations. Fantastic system.

Leathco
25-08-10, 06:31
Here's a few more:

Rez
Mortal Kombat Gold
Shenmue
Marvel vs. Capcom
Mars Matrix
Border Down
Chaos Field
Giga Wing
Last Hope

Also don't forget homebrew!
TONS of Beats of Rage mods
Doom and WAD mods
A great NES emulator with the best interface I have seen from ANY console NES emulator
Heretic
Hexen
Rise of the Triad
Really, just tons of homebrew, too much to mention here.

tomtom2play
26-08-10, 04:08
Awesome. Thanks guys.

teknohed
03-09-10, 01:42
I love the Dreamcast so I gotta get my 2 cents here as well. Some of my favorites are mentioned above, but here's my quick list:

Sonic Adventure
Shenmue
Soul Calibur (I know you don't like fighters, but this one is one that makes the system shine)
Resident Evil Code Veronica
MDK 2
House of the Dead 2
Crazy Taxi 1 (didn't care for Crazy Taxi 2 myself)
Jet Grind Radio
Space Channel 5
Zombie's REvenge

meu2
03-09-10, 09:28
I love the Dreamcast so I gotta get my 2 cents here as well. Some of my favorites are mentioned above, but here's my quick list:

Sonic Adventure
Shenmue
Soul Calibur (I know you don't like fighters, but this one is one that makes the system shine)
Resident Evil Code Veronica
MDK 2
House of the Dead 2
Crazy Taxi 1 (didn't care for Crazy Taxi 2 myself)
Jet Grind Radio
Space Channel 5
Zombie's REvenge

I could never get into Crazy Taxi 2 either. I think the map just wasn’t as much fun to drive around as the first game.

HOTD2 is worth playing for the terrible cut scenes alone.

Edwards80
03-09-10, 10:39
You almost certainly have it already. But Chu Chu rocket still gets massive laughs when playing with mates.

teknohed
03-09-10, 03:49
HOTD2 is worth playing for the terrible cut scenes alone.

Please be safe G!

meu2
03-09-10, 04:26
Please be safe G!

LOL. Suffer like G did?

teknohed
03-09-10, 05:45
LOL. Suffer like G did?

(cowering female citizen) NO! Don't Come! Don't Come!

Leathco
03-09-10, 09:50
I always wondered why that flying gargoyle thingy phrased the whole suffer like g did thing as a question....

meu2
04-09-10, 06:17
I always wondered why that flying gargoyle thingy phrased the whole suffer like g did thing as a question....

I was always puzzled by that too. I can only assume the cut-scenes in HOTD2 were unintentionally terrible. I don't think you could have tried to make something so awful and brilliant at the same time.

teknohed
04-09-10, 10:46
I read an article about them at some point that basically described the recording process as "finding Japanese voice actors who could speak english" and basically giving them a set of 3 X 5 cards with a line each and telling them to go crazy. That is why you have so many lines with nonsensical emphasis. Like the fat guy at the beginning of scene 2 who says "no help ME!" Instead of "No! HELP me!" The lines were recorded totally out of sync and with no context, that's why the "suffer like G did is" a question rather than a statement. But the best voices in that game have to be those of goldman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftc_Pbhb3IE&feature=related

Dhalamar
05-09-10, 12:13
Typing of the Dead

kthx