PDA

View Full Version : Dingoo A320 review

saberman
24-08-10, 10:15
Below is my review of the Dingoo open handheld if anyone is thinking of buying one. I note thereís another thread asking about this so will post a link from that to this thread too.

Iíve had a Dingoo for over a week now and have to say Iíve have something of a love hate relationship with it. It started with initial frustration and developed into a deep love. Iíve spent a lot of time with the tiny thing and have to say while it is far from perfect its good points definitely shine through.

I ordered it from www.gbax.com a site I would recommend to anyone Iíve bought a few things from there over the years and Iíve always had good service.

Iíll start with my initial frustration. When my Dingoo initially arrived I eagerly unpacked it and gazed in wonder at the tiny thing in front of me. It looked perfectly formed, it was tiny but felt light yet solid in exactly the say way a PSP light doesnít. I unpacked the USB cable and power adaptor hunted around for my universal plug adaptor and started it charging.

My first frustration was with how long the thing took to charge. It took forever. ĎOK, well it is supposed to have a long battery lifeí I thought so it must take a while to charge. Once it was fully charged I turned it on.

As many other online reviews will tell you the menu system looks like the one on the PSP. I donít have a PS3 so canít compare it to that. I tried a few of the preloaded emulator demos and videos and reasonably impressed.

I then took the USB cable and attached it to my laptop. This is when the frustration started. The Dingoo shows a USB connection icon I looked at my PC screen after some waiting it told me there was an error with my device. ĎOKí I thought Ďperhaps I have to load a driverí. No disk in the box so I turned to the English manual. No information about connecting it to a PC there.
At this point I discovered a unique feature of the Dingoo. If the USB connection fails you have to reset it. That requires pushing a small button through a small hole in the side. I recommend an un-bended paper clip. I had to reset my Dingoo a lot in the first day or so.

I searched online and found that I needed some driver and to put it into USB mode ... but that was to run the unbricking tool. I also found I needed a USBSTOR.SYS driver which after some searching I managed to download. My PC already has the USBSTORE.SYS driver, version 6.<something or other> The one that works with the Dingoo is version 5.1.2600.<something or other>.

This driver lives in ďC:\WINDOWS\system32\driversĒ . ĎIíll just copy one other the otherí I though. Nope Microsoft in its wisdom wonít let you do that ... even if you have admin rights thereís something with more rights called the ďSystemĒ. ĎFine Iíll use the system to install the older version. No again Microsoft in its wisdom wonít let you do that. ĎOK Iíll use the system to uninstall the whole thing and then install the older version. Nope I couldnít do that either.

So I have what looks like a great little open hand held with no way of getting date onto it. ĎWell I know it takes a mini SD card Iíll buy one of those and put data on that.í So off I went to my local Curries to buy one. What I didnít realise was that mini SD cards arenít easy to come by. They appear to have died out. After a bit of searching, 2 hours, I find and universal 2 GB, SD, mini SD, micro SD combination set in an independent camera shop. They actually sold it to me cheep as no one wanted it.

So I put some of the games and emulators Iíd downloaded onto it. Manic miner, both the spectrum emulators and a 2600 emulator. For some reason none of them worked. This wasnít going very well. Iíd had the thing 10 hours and Iíd not been able to play anything on it. Worst of all the one thing I want to play on any device I own is spectrum games and neither of the 2 emulators I downloaded had worked.

ĎWell the thing has so pre built in emulators I know work, Iíve run up the demosí I thought. So I copied some NES, GBA and SNES games to my memory stick and started to play. Thatís when I fell in love. All I can say is that the Dingoo is one of the best games playing pieces of hardware Iíve ever owned. It had the best D-pad of any handheld Iíve ever tried including my GBA original, GBA SP, PSP fat, PSP slim GP32, GP2X and any mobile phone. The buttons are very responsive and have that Ďfeedback feelí you normally only get with a full sized controller.

In short the hardware is terrific. As an example consider this: I have big hands. I worried this would be a problem playing on the Dingoo buy it was much less of a problem than anything else Iíve ever tried. Given how small it is thatís pretty amazing. The control it gives you is just excellent so you don;t end up straining your hands to play the games.

Youíll find lots of online reviews that tell you that the NES and GBA emulation is terrific and they are right. Theyíll also tell you the SNES is lacking and makes the games unplayable. I donít agree. Since I got the my Dingoo I have played Super Metroid all the way through. Iíve only done that previously on the original hardware and a PC emulation with a nice big chunky game pad. Iíve tried and failed on my PSP fat and GP2X. The reason for those failures was that I couldnít get the right control out of the hardware in particular the D-pads.

The SNES emulation does require a bit of frame skip tweaking depending on which game you want to play. Iíd advise keeping away from the auto setting and setting it to what you feel best. While Iím on the subject of emulators other online reviews will tell you the mega drive emulation is bad Ė they are right.

Iíve now found a friend who has Windows XP that I can connect my Dingoo too. Iíve actually put my games onto the internal memory and use the SD card for music and videos. There are online reviews of those functions and the others I havenít mentioned and Iíd say I agree with what Iíve read. That is they are OK but not the best in the world.

I think my summary is that this is a great little piece of kit. I think the problems Iíve described will be fixed over time hopefully soon with firmware updates. If you are considering buying one of these then Iíd say check what version of the USBSTORE.SYS driver you have first and look online for a mini SD card. If you have the right version of the driver and can locate a mini SD then go for it. Even if you canít find the mini SD Iíd consider it.

This is a great little device let down by a few frustrating flaws. I really do love mine and I look forward to the point in the future where I can play Speccy games on it.

miner2049er
24-08-10, 11:13
Nice review. I know a few people are looking at the Dingoo.

meu2
25-08-10, 08:52
That was an interesting review. It sounds like the Dingoo is in a similar place to the GP2X when it launched, albeit more solidly built. Itís nice to hear of an emulation device with a really good Dpad. Iím really surprised that the unit uses mini SD, as that form factor was pretty much discontinued as soon as it arrived. Is it compatible with micro SDHC cards via a mini SD shell?

Super Metroid seems to be one of the easier SNES games to emulate, it even runs on the GBA, so Iím not sure if itís a true indication of the systems capabilities. Please let us know how things work if you install Dingux.

saberman
25-08-10, 09:40
Is it compatible with micro SDHC cards via a mini SD shell?

Yes that's effectively what I'm using but not a SDHC card. From what I've read it does support SDHC.

Super Metroid seems to be one of the easier SNES games to emulate, it even runs on the GBA, so I’m not sure if it’s a true indication of the systems capabilities.

You might be right but it is one of my favorite games so one I always play. I would say it didn't emulate that well on the PSP with Snex9x I had to tweak it a lot to get it working on that. Some of the details and even Samus herself would often disappear on the PSP and I found the Dingoo much better.

I've also played “Zombies ate my Neighbors” again one of my favorites. That emulated fine but I’ve found that easy to emulate on other systems. I’m actually not a Mario fan so haven’t tried Super Mario World. That’s what is what most of the online reviews concentrate on. If you want to suggest some other games then I’ll give them a try?

Please let us know how things work if you install Dingux.

Will do but I’m not going to rush to install that as there is a lot of talk online of people bricking their Dingoos and don’t want to risk it while I’m still getting so much out of it as it is. I’m actually going to Beijing in a couple of weeks so if I can pick one or two up there cheap I might risk one of them.

One final thing to add is that the charger that came with it appears to be stopped working :-|. It doesn’t appear to charge from a USB cable attached to a PC either. However my mobile phone charger is a USB charger and that works fine.
Also firmware battery indicator never appears to show the device as full. I.e. I charge it and the charging screen shows it is full and has stopped charging but when you switch to the menu it only has 1 or 2 of the 3 battry bars showing. I still get about 7 hours of play from it though so I’m not worried. That was the case before the supplied charger stopped working so I don’t think is related.

Again the whole package is far from perfect but I still think the thing is worth it. As you point out having a decent D-pad is worth a lot.

Leathco
25-08-10, 11:39
Can I make a plug here?

I reviewed this handheld over on YouTube. It's a massive review, I think all the videos I did total equal about 45 minutes. I cover both stock firmware and Dingux (its been about a year so the Dingux version is prolly way outdated in my review now).

Only prob with this handheld is that its FRAGILE! My screen broke after it fell from my coffee table, and it was even in a case!

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=labXIu64z3E

miner2049er
25-08-10, 12:19
Can I make a plug here?

Put it in the Listener Media threads then you could link to it from here.

Leathco
25-08-10, 12:27
I got a thread for my stuff over in listener media, just wanted to add a link to this thread cause I thought it was relevant.

saberman
25-08-10, 01:48
Can I make a plug here?

I reviewed this handheld over on YouTube. It's a massive review, I think all the videos I did total equal about 45 minutes. I cover both stock firmware and Dingux (its been about a year so the Dingux version is prolly way outdated in my review now).

Only prob with this handheld is that its FRAGILE! My screen broke after it fell from my coffee table, and it was even in a case!

I’ll have to check out your review. To be honest I’d encourage anyone to check out reviews other than mine before being swayed either way so your link is perfect :).

I’m interested in your comment about it being fragile I’ve dropped my onto my tiled kitchen floor and it was fine. I guess I might have just been lucky.

Leathco
25-08-10, 02:24
I dunno, either yours is hardier than mine or I got unlucky. I couldn't beleive a fall from a coffee table (maybe a foot and a half off the ground) to a carpeted surface, with it in a case no less, caused the LCD to crack.

saberman
26-08-10, 07:42
Can I make a plug here?

Excellent review Leathco I think you might have me sold on Dingux :). I agree with you that playing games is what the Dingoo is all about. I tried to concentrate on my experiences of getting mine working and some of the problems Iíd encountered. The idea being to help anyone else purchasing a Dingoo avoid the same issues. Iíd say your YouTube review give a much more detailed review of actually playing the games so thing they complement each other well.

Any tips you have on installing Dingux would be good, did you encounter any issues?

It looks like we are the only two people on the forums to own one. Iíd be interested to hear anyone elseís experiences.

Did you get another after your screen broke or have you given up on the Dingoo?

Leathco
26-08-10, 11:27
I gave up, figure I'll buy a pandora early next year.

Ironically dingux is easier to install if you use windows. All you do is install a bootloader, any further dingux updates and upgrades are done directly on the card.

Btw I recommend using a micro sd card with a mini sd adapter. It's easy to find 8 gb micro cards and they work in the dingoo.

meu2
26-08-10, 04:28
You might be right but it is one of my favorite games so one I always play. I would say it didn't emulate that well on the PSP with Snex9x I had to tweak it a lot to get it working on that. Some of the details and even Samus herself would often disappear on the PSP and I found the Dingoo much better.

I've also played ďZombies ate my NeighborsĒ again one of my favorites. That emulated fine but Iíve found that easy to emulate on other systems. Iím actually not a Mario fan so havenít tried Super Mario World. Thatís what is what most of the online reviews concentrate on.

Funnily enough Super Mario World is another one of the easier to emulate snes games. They're are loads of speed hacks available for it. Games that use add on chips,like Mario Kart, are usually where snes emulators fall down. Well that and sound emulation.

There's some really useful information in this thread now. I've only had a quick look at Leatherco's videos but they look very good. I'm amazed to heart how fragile the unit is though.

edit: There are quite a few snes emulators available for the psp so it can be quite hard to keep track of what runs well on each one.

saberman
26-08-10, 05:25
I gave up, figure I'll buy a pandora early next year.

Yeah the Pandoras look cool but are a bit chunky. Also they have the same kind of thumb pad as the GP2X which I'm not a fan of. The Dingoo has quickly become my handheld emulator of choice. I have a PSP with the 1.5 firmware I used for the job but I’ve hardly touched it since I got my Dingoo.

Ironically dingux is easier to install if you use windows. All you do is install a bootloader, any further dingux updates and upgrades are done directly on the card.

That’s good to know I’ll do some research. The fact I can’t access the internal memory easily is still a pain so if Dingux updates can be done just to the memory card that’ll be a bonus.

Btw I recommend using a micro sd card with a mini sd adapter. It's easy to find 8 gb micro cards and they work in the dingoo.

Thanks for the tip - the mini SD 'package' I bought came with a 2GB micro SD card so I'm using that at the moment. It is big enough for my needs but I guess it depends how big Dingux is with the additional emulators etc...

saberman
26-08-10, 05:31
Funnily enough Super Mario World is another one of the easier to emulate snes games. They're are loads of speed hacks available for it. Games that use add on chips,like Mario Kart, are usually where snes emulators fall down. Well that and sound emulation.

I tried "Castlevania Dracula X", "Contra Sprits" and "Chaos Engine" too and they were fine. I'm pretty sure that something like Star Fox wouldn't work but I'm not sure I'd want to play it so small a screen anyway. I’ll give Mario Kart a whirl and see what it is like.

There's some really useful information in this thread now. I've only had a quick look at Leatherco's videos but they look very good. I'm amazed to heart how fragile the unit is though.

Yes Leathco’s review is great having looked at a few others on YouTube I don’t think you’ll get much more from any of the others. I’m not dropping mine again just to see if they are that fragile :).

Leathco
26-08-10, 05:32
Depending on what you like, Dingux can fill up a card fast. MAME alone is around 2 gigs if you have everything. Than you figure that the Genesis emulator in Dingux can also handle Sega CD games. Add in your NES, SNES, Genesis, Atari stuff and it starts getting heavy. Than add your DOOM mods, a copy of Quake, Tyrian (must have shooter), Descent, etc., and things start getting insane. Add to all that your latest episode of Retro Gaming Roundup as well, lol.

I dunno, I may eventually pick up a Dingoo again. They are pretty cheap. I may try the a330 this time to see if its any hardier, and the extra memory would be very handy for running Neo Geo stuff. I like the design of the a320 better though, it doesn't look like a crappy PSP ripoff.

meu2
26-08-10, 08:45
I’m not dropping mine again just to see if they are that fragile :).

Haven't you heard of taking one for the team? :)

I wouldn't expect any hand-held emulator to run Starfox or any SFX chip title (Yoshi's Island springs to mind). The SFX chip is a fair step up from the DSP chip in terms of emulator needs.

saberman
27-08-10, 09:51
Haven't you heard of taking one for the team? :)

I wouldn't expect any hand-held emulator to run Starfox or any SFX chip title (Yoshi's Island springs to mind). The SFX chip is a fair step up from the DSP chip in terms of emulator needs.

Super Mario Kart was very bad. It was slow and there were a lot of graphical glitches. Iím not a fan of racing games on a handheld anyway but that might be one I could play but not on the built in Dingoo emulator.

Yoshi's Island didnít even load. Which is a pity as I like that game but I can always play the GBA version :).

Leathco
27-08-10, 10:05
Are you using stock firmware? Mario Kart was very playable under Dingux.

saberman
28-08-10, 08:45

Yep. I've not taken the plunge with Dingux yet probably won't for a while.

I'm having too much fun with it as it is at the moment. The only thing missing is being able to play spectrum games.

I’m using the NES emulator to play ‘Fire and Ice’ as recommended by SoCal Mike in the NES top ten from a few months ago. That’s a great game and perfect for a handheld.

saberman
29-08-10, 09:38

After saying it might be a while I installed Dingux last night. It was very easy and I can now play spectrum games :). To reiterate how good the d-pad is I was able to have a really good game of ‘Jetpac’ on it.

I can confirm Leathco’s previous comment that the SNES emulation is much better in Dingux. In fact I was up very late last night playing “Super Mario World” and “Super Castelvania 4“.

I’d say “Super Mario Kart” still isn’t playable but, other than F-Zero on the GBA, I’m not a fan of racing games on handhelds. I’m not a fan of 3d games in general on handhelds give me a good old 2D game every time.

Leathco
29-08-10, 02:25
Hmm. Try overclocking the CPU in the emulator. I'm pretty sure I remember having a good go with Mario Kart.

Also, the GBA emulator is also very, very good, better than the SNES emu. I dunno how much time I spent playing Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission.

meu2
29-08-10, 08:58
From what I understand the SNES architecture is more complex than the GBA, which makes it more challenging to emulate well. I believe the SNES sound chip is particularly tricky to get right. This usually results in frame-skip or a lack of audio to compensate. Does the Dingux SNES emulator require frame-skip when overclocked?

saberman
30-08-10, 05:49
Hmm. Try overclocking the CPU in the emulator. I'm pretty sure I remember having a good go with Mario Kart.

Yes that makes it better I still don’t want to play it just ‘cos I don’t like playing Mario Kart on a handheld. Give me the N64 or Wii versions any day.

Also, the GBA emulator is also very, very good, better than the SNES emu. I dunno how much time I spent playing Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission.

Now you are talking. I prefer the inbuilt GBA emulator to GPSP as the menu system is better.

saberman
30-08-10, 05:58
From what I understand the SNES architecture is more complex than the GBA, which makes it more challenging to emulate well. I believe the SNES sound chip is particularly tricky to get right. This usually results in frame-skip or a lack of audio to compensate. Does the Dingux SNES emulator require frame-skip when overclocked?

I have 2 Dingux emulators Snes9x and Snes9x4D. The first lets you overclock and the second has frameskip. I tried Mario Kart in the first at the maximum overclock and showed the frame rate which was always over 50/60.

meu2
30-08-10, 08:26
I have 2 Dingux emulators Snes9x and Snes9x4D. The first lets you overclock and the second has frameskip. I tried Mario Kart in the first at the maximum overclock and showed the frame rate which was always over 50/60.

That's impressive. The Dingoo certainly sounds like it's a good value homebrew handheld in spite of it's few niggles.

lestat1uk
31-08-10, 12:17
Yeah the Pandoras look cool but are a bit chunky. Also they have the same kind of thumb pad as the GP2X which I'm not a fan of.

The "Nubs" are pretty good when you are playing the Mario 64 on the Pandora, but my left nub broke in the end, i am not complaining they are fixing the nub for free, but this has been one of the glitches on the Pandora, which the team are working to get sorted out. The Pandora also has a superb d-pad, i would say it is better then the dingoo(i really liked the dingoo to btw), a good test is playing street fighter 2 on the snes, how many hadokens can you do in a row using ryu or ken. With the dingoo, i could not get the hadoken everytime, but the Pandora, everytime, also with the new emulator called "Ginge" for the Pandora, you can now play both emulators and games from both the gp2x and the wiz. (opps went a bit off topic there). The Pandora is chunky, but it is not uncomfortable to play, i played many hours on Mario 64, or trying to remember how to complete the hobbit on the sinclair spectrum with a proper keyboard instead of a virtual keyboard. Here is my comparsion on size to a nintendo DsXL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytcrs0i68uI

As for the Dingoo, i liked this handheld so much i bought five of them to give out to family and friends to play on, none of them have had any problems with them, the only thing that really made me laugh about the Dingoo was the Playstation emulator, yeah right!!!.

saberman
31-08-10, 02:26
The "Nubs" are pretty good when you are playing the Mario 64 on the Pandora, but my left nub broke in the end, i am not complaining they are fixing the nub for free, but this has been one of the glitches on the Pandora, which the team are working to get sorted out. The Pandora also has a superb d-pad, i would say it is better then the dingoo(i really liked the dingoo to btw), a good test is playing street fighter 2 on the snes, how many hadokens can you do in a row using ryu or ken. With the dingoo, i could not get the hadoken everytime, but the Pandora, everytime, also with the new emulator called "Ginge" for the Pandora, you can now play both emulators and games from both the gp2x and the wiz. (opps went a bit off topic there). The Pandora is chunky, but it is not uncomfortable to play, i played many hours on Mario 64, or trying to remember how to complete the hobbit on the sinclair spectrum with a proper keyboard instead of a virtual keyboard. Here is my comparsion on size to a nintendo DsXL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytcrs0i68uI
[/QUOTE]

Nice Pandora plug :).

I’ll have to look at your comparison but I’m not sure I’d get one. I’d use my Dingoo or another handheld less chunky than a Pandora for gaming on the go. I have a Samsung NC10 that I’d use for emulating something that needs a keyboard. I’ve actually completed the Hobbit on the London to Nottingham train on my NC10 :).

The main reason for not buying a Pandora is the price though. You can buy something like the NC10 plus a USB gamepad for just a little more. The pandora isn’t small enough to pop into your pocket so you’ll need a bag you might as well have a fully functioning PC and a nice chunky gamepad :-/. If the Dingoo hadn’t have been as good it might be a different story.

As for the Dingoo, i liked this handheld so much i bought five of them to give out to family and friends to play on, none of them have had any problems with them, the only thing that really made me laugh about the Dingoo was the Playstation emulator, yeah right!!!.

Wow buying 5 is some endorsement. I’m still hoping to pick up an additional 1 or 2 and a A330 cheap when I’m in Beijing next week.

I’ve not tried the Playstation emulator but don’t hold out much hope for it.

saberman
31-08-10, 02:27
That's impressive. The Dingoo certainly sounds like it's a good value homebrew handheld in spite of it's few niggles.

So are you going to buy one? :D

meu2
31-08-10, 03:09
So are you going to buy one? :D
Sadly I don’t think I can at the moment. Funds are low since returning from America. I’m very tempted to add it to my Christmas wish list though. It’s also a matter of determining if I’d use it or not. I have the PSP set up for homebrew, but hardly ever use the thing (the blurry screen and poor battery life don’t help). The older I get the more I find myself buying games and gadgets that are cool, but get little use after the first few weeks.

Off Topic: I have a Samsung NC10 myself and would be lost without it these days.

saberman
31-08-10, 08:43
Sadly I don’t think I can at the moment. Funds are low since returning from America. I’m very tempted to add it to my Christmas wish list though. It’s also a matter of determining if I’d use it or not. I have the PSP set up for homebrew, but hardly ever use the thing (the blurry screen and poor battery life don’t help). The older I get the more I find myself buying games and gadgets that are cool, but get little use after the first few weeks.

I know what you mean about buying cool gadgets then not getting much use out of them. The MAME cab I wanted for years doesn’t get half as much play as I thought it would.
From my experience you could do a lot worse than a Dingoo. I have a PSP set up for homebrew too and have hardly touched it since I got my Dingoo. Let’s hope Father Christmas puts one in your stocking :).

Off Topic: I have a Samsung NC10 myself and would be lost without it these days.

Yep NC10s are great.

lestat1uk
02-09-10, 04:57
I have a Samsung NC10 that Iíd use for emulating something that needs a keyboard. Iíve actually completed the Hobbit on the London to Nottingham train on my NC10 .

Techincally the NC10 is a netbook and not a handheld, the Pandora is a lot smaller than a net book. I take my Pandora to work with me, and i wear cargo trousers, i have a thick ds case aluminium case for it, and it all fits inside my leg pocket. I cannot put my Samsung N310 into my pocket so i would not conisder taking it out with me for gaming, it is just handy to have when i need to repair a friends or family computer. I am sure once the Pandora gets into it's swing it will be doing all the stuff i need from it, there is something really sweet when you are playing a psx emulator or the N64 emulator, someone just looks over your shoulder and are just amazed by it.

I love the hobbit, and i am trying to do it by memory, i keep getting captured at the goblins dungeon, i remember how to get out of the dungeon, then you type say south, then i am captured again and start all over again. all i can say really is Say to Thorin "Attack Gandalf".

Five Dingoo's. Yep i love the little handheld, it is impressive. It is a pitty that gamepark holdings don't take note of these handhelds that are coming out and try and compete with the.

meu2
02-09-10, 05:26
I don't think the Samsung NC10, or any Netbook for that matter, was being suggested as a direct competitor to devices like the dingoo. It was mentioned as more of a side note than anything else. It's not exactly pocket size for a start.

Leathco
02-09-10, 05:33
Samsung makes a lot of good products. My UMPC, Digital Camera, and external DVD drive are all Samsung.

lestat1uk
02-09-10, 07:21
I don't think the Samsung NC10, or any Netbook for that matter, was being suggested as a direct competitor to devices like the dingoo. It was mentioned as more of a side note than anything else. It's not exactly pocket size for a start.

It was more of a reference to what sabreman said about using the nc10 keyboard and using something less chunky than a pandora for gaming on the go.

Iíll have to look at your comparison but Iím not sure Iíd get one. Iíd use my Dingoo or another handheld less chunky than a Pandora for gaming on the go. I have a Samsung NC10 that Iíd use for emulating something that needs a keyboard. Iíve actually completed the Hobbit on the London to Nottingham train on my NC10 .

Samsung makes a lot of good products. My UMPC, Digital Camera, and external DVD drive are all Samsung.

Not a big fan of there phones, but they do do a lot of good products.

meu2
02-09-10, 09:29
I have had good experience with Samsung products including their phones (Galaxy and Tocco). I feel you always get good value for money from their stuff. Apparently their working on an Anroid tablet at the moment. Perhaps this might make for an interesting emulation platform.

teknohed
03-09-10, 01:50
Excellent review Saberman! You should ask So Cal to post it on the blog!

@Leathco I'm subscribed to your YouTube feed!!!

saberman
03-09-10, 03:54
Techincally the NC10 is a netbook and not a handheld, the Pandora is a lot smaller than a net book. I take my Pandora to work with me, and i wear cargo trousers, i have a thick ds case aluminium case for it, and it all fits inside my leg pocket. I cannot put my Samsung N310 into my pocket so i would not conisder taking it out with me for gaming, it is just handy to have when i need to repair a friends or family computer. I am sure once the Pandora gets into it's swing it will be doing all the stuff i need from it, there is something really sweet when you are playing a psx emulator or the N64 emulator, someone just looks over your shoulder and are just amazed by it.

I didn’t realize a Pandora could fit inside a DS case. I thought they were a bit bigger than a DS, in the videos reviews I’ve seen on You Tube they looked more akin to PSP size. My opinion is a DS is just small enough to be portable while a PSP is just a bit too big. I’m still put off by the price of the Pandora though.

I love the hobbit, and i am trying to do it by memory, i keep getting captured at the goblins dungeon, i remember how to get out of the dungeon, then you type say south, then i am captured again and start all over again. all i can say really is Say to Thorin "Attack Gandalf".

I’ll admit I used a lot of saves to get out of the goblin’s caves :). It took me quite a while to remember you had to get Thorin to carry you to get out of the goblin’s dungeon. The hobbit is one of my favorite adventures of all time. I’m a big fan of Mad Martha too :) – cool puzzles and a warped sense of humor.

Five Dingoo's. Yep i love the little handheld, it is impressive. It is a pitty that gamepark holdings don't take note of these handhelds that are coming out and try and compete with the.

I agree mine is still getting a lot of playtime. Although I’ve installed Dingux I’m using the native OS at the moment as I’ve been playing “Fire and Ice” and “Metroid Zero”. In both cases the native emulators are good enough and I know the multi key presses for the menus. I’ll have to complete Alien 8 on it some time too.

saberman
03-09-10, 03:59
Excellent review Saberman! You should ask So Cal to post it on the blog!

@Leathco I'm subscribed to your YouTube feed!!!

Thanks mate. Strangely enough I’ve come to think of my posts on this thread as a blog Dingoo experience. I’d say Lethco’s YouTube review is more of a traditional review and recommend to anyone who hasn’t already watched it.

saberman
03-09-10, 04:25

To be honest I was trying to make the point that the Pandora looks a little too bulky to me. I.e. if I need a bag to carry it around I might as well take my NC10. Reading lestat1uk’s response I’m willing to admit I might be wrong.

I think we can all agree Dingoos and NC10s are great. I still have to be convinced by the Pandora but I’m willing to be open minded. I think I’ll end up getting one in the end. I might look to get a cheap second hand one from e-bay. That’s what I did with my GP32 and GP2X. In both cases I enjoyed them for a while and playing around with them was fun but they didn’t get anything like the play time my Dingoo has.

lestat1uk
04-09-10, 03:06
Mate, just check out my youtube vid and you will see how small the pandora is, yes it is a bit bulky, but it doesn't feel uncomfortable to play. I think the Dingoo is an excellent handheld, i think at somepoint i would like to try out the A330 with the wireless controller, but from what i have read there doesn't seem to be too much difference between the dingoo and the A330. Great idea about the Pandora and getting one second hand, not seen one on uk ebay for a while but i have no doubt that they will. In my mind (this is not a hardware/sofware comparison) i think of the Dingoo as a compromise between gp2x and pandora.

Right, i got my Pandora back today, and i have just checked there app store and there is an official release of mame4all beta, this is the emulator i have been waiting for, i am off to play some mame.

Leathco
04-09-10, 03:19
Pandora app store? SWEET!

I'm really tempted to just say screw waiting til tax time and stop buying retro games for the rest of the year so I can drop 350 on a Pandora.

meu2
04-09-10, 05:21
I think we can all agree Dingoos and NC10s are great. I still have to be convinced by the Pandora but I’m willing to be open minded. I think I’ll end up getting one in the end. I might look to get a cheap second hand one from e-bay. That’s what I did with my GP32 and GP2X. In both cases I enjoyed them for a while and playing around with them was fun but they didn’t get anything like the play time my Dingoo has.

I think its fair to say that with the Dingoo, Pandora and even the current and upcoming range of Netbooks we are entering an exciting time in the handheld emulation scene. I'm sure the Pandora will evolve into a great device when the software is refined and expanded. The Pandora store sounds like a great idea for a start.

lestat1uk
05-09-10, 01:01
Pandora app store? SWEET!

I'm really tempted to just say screw waiting til tax time and stop buying retro games for the rest of the year so I can drop 350 on a Pandora.

Mate, don't get to excited about the app store, at this point in time the official app store for the Pandora looks like this.

http://apps.open-pandora.org/apps/main.shtml

it is no apple app store, i am hoping that it will improve over time.

I think its fair to say that with the Dingoo, Pandora and even the current and upcoming range of Netbooks we are entering an exciting time in the handheld emulation scene. Unless these new Netbbooks are small enough to hold in your hand (width ways) and are able to fit in your pocket, i am not sure i will ever consider a netbook as handheld. As far as the apps store is concerned give it sometime at the moment they are incredibly busy, they are awaiting the new nubs (to sort out the problem when break or go wrong) to arrive, also they are assembling the new iphone/ipod handheld controller, and that will be going on sale soon. When do they sleep?

One more thing before i go, (it's a little off topic)all those people here that had a gp2x, did anyone play cave story on it(i am playing it emulated on ginge for the Pandora) i? what an amazing game, i have not been able to put this game down for awhile now.

Leathco
05-09-10, 01:59
Never played Cave Story. Keep in mind my GP2X screen fried after a week of owning it.

lestat1uk
06-09-10, 08:24
Man, you get no luck at all with these things.

Leathco
06-09-10, 08:36
Man, you get no luck at all with these things.

Its been a bad couple years of open source handhelds for me. If I get a Pandora that suffers catestrophic failure I'll give up.

lestat1uk
07-09-10, 01:20
Its been a bad couple years of open source handhelds for me. If I get a Pandora that suffers catestrophic failure I'll give up.

I can say that my experience with the Pandora team has been good, they sorted my Pandora out within a month (as can be expected at this time), and if your Pandora does go wrong they will not ignore you, they have friendly customer support.

Dhalamar
07-09-10, 02:45
I'd love to have one of these types of devices ... just lack of funds prevent such a thing from happening. heh

Gordon Bennett
07-09-10, 06:24
I also have a Samsung NC-10. It's what I use to listen to the show these days. Very nice to have such high quality audio, video and emulation in something relatively small and light. I wouldn't put it in the same category as a handheld, however. It's great to have sitting next to the bed, but not something that I carry with me without noticing.

lestat1uk
08-09-10, 01:49
I'd love to have one of these types of devices ... just lack of funds prevent such a thing from happening. heh

i got my dingoo from here, it seemed to be the cheapest place at the time, but then i have not looked for a while

http://www.bestofferbuy.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&inc_subcat=1&search_in_description=1&zenid=ijrrtvnor4qt8356reieda2ar7&categories_id=&keyword=dingoo&x=0&y=0

Leathco
08-09-10, 02:11
OK, OK you all have talked me into it, I'll pick up a new Dingoo prolly next week.

I think I'll stick with the A-320. I like the extra 32 megs of RAM in the 330, but I HATE the design of it.

And I'll update my review with a new part as well, with the most recent port of Dingux. Anyone wanna try it before I get my new Dingoo? Newest package with all the apps you need preinstalled is available at http://boards.dingoonity.org/dingux-games-and-homebrew/dingux-local-pack-v0-35-31-05-2010/

saberman
12-09-10, 05:53
Quick update from me. I’m back from Beijing with 2 A330s for the price one A320 cost me. Buying them was an interesting experience and if I hadn’t have had a Chinese friend to help me I wouldn’t have even attempted it. One revelation was that the Chinese sites that sell this stuff are run from tiny stalls in indoor markets.

My body clock is all over the place so I’m not going to write much more at the moment.

OK, OK you all have talked me into it, I'll pick up a new Dingoo prolly next week.

I think I'll stick with the A-320. I like the extra 32 megs of RAM in the 330, but I HATE the design of it.

To be honest there’s not really much difference between the 320 and the 330 from a design point of view. Most importantly they both have the same terrific d-pad.

saberman
24-10-10, 09:03
Quick update on my A320 and A330 this.

First on the A330: To be honest thereís hardly any difference between the A330 and the A320. I didnít bother with the wireless controller for the A330 so they are pretty much the same from a functionality POV. Thereís not really any applications that make use of the additional memory. If I hadnít bought my A330s in China for half the price my A320 cost Iíd have been a bit disappointed. I read an online review on GBAtemp really slating the A330:

http://gbatemp.net/t230291-dingoo-a330-review

I donít think Iíd be as hard on the thing as that. Iíve not had any issues with the applications, emulators or Dingux for example. I would agree that the shoulder buttons are not very good on the A330.

An update on the robustness of the unit, i.e. on Leathcoís comment that his broke when it fell from his coffee table. Iíve dropped both my A320 and A330 twice now and they have both been fine. I actually dropped my A320 about 3 foot onto a tiled floor the second time I dropped it. I have to say I think you were just unlucky Leathco mate.

So on the whole Iíd say if you are gong to get going of these units go for the A320 and donít worry about dropping it.

Leathco
29-10-10, 05:21
I ALMOST ordered it, but held off at the last minute because I had to switch jobs a month or so back, and its lowered my overall income (which REALLY sucks, but I didn't have much of a choice)

After discussing it, me and my wife figured I'll just order a Pandora come tax time and wait for it to come in, than she'll take my Samsung Q1 since I'm more comfortable with Linux anyway. I'll still have my desktop computer, and since the Pandora runs Firefox, I'll be in good shape when on the go as well.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I sent my Gp2x Wiz back to GPH in Korea. I got in contact with their Korean office after being scammed by GP2xstore.com and they say they will fix it for free. Even if I never see it again, it won't do me any good sitting here with a busted screen, so I took the chance and sent it overseas.

saberman
29-10-10, 03:14
EDIT: Forgot to mention I sent my Gp2x Wiz back to GPH in Korea. I got in contact with their Korean office after being scammed by GP2xstore.com and they say they will fix it for free. Even if I never see it again, it won't do me any good sitting here with a busted screen, so I took the chance and sent it overseas.

You'll have to let us know if you get it back OK - hopefully your handheld luck will change for the better :).

Leathco
29-10-10, 08:12
I'll keep everyone here posted. I have high hopes that once I get a Pandora it'll all work out as they have excellent customer service. That, and having a handheld that has internet support through a full version of FireFox and the power to handle Ps1/N64 era stuff, not to mention Quake 3, will make me rather thrilled.

The only downer is that I'm figuring if I order in February, I might get it by that summer *sigh*

lestat1uk
07-11-10, 02:27
Good luck with your Wiz, i hope they sort it out for you. As far as the Pandora goes, yep i am still playing mine although i don't go on the net with it, the screen is way to small, i think i just check emails then i am out again. The N64 emulator is getting fairly regular updates, apart from mario 64 at the moment most games run on the pandora well but it is the sound that is let them down very stuttery, and often i turn off the sound. the psx emulator has not had an update since it has been released, there seems to be some sort of argument over i think the guys name is ZODTTD releasing the source code for it. I have played a few games on the psx and all have run well (poypoy's the two arcade packs from atari and midway) and they run really well. At some point i will convert my copy of soulblade and try it out on the psx emulate see how that runs.

Additional:

Just read about Zodttd in the forums, and it was just a handful of people on the forum boards accusing him of not sharing the source code to the psx4pandora source code, also there is an update on the way :). I tried soul blade with frameskip and running at 800mhz, it was still very choppy the sound is terrible and no way to switch it off yet. But i did play gran turismo 2 running at 800 mhz and framskip set to 1/2, was running really smooth and no choppy sound, i played the rally track. I have ridge racer 4 convertering, i am going to try parappa the rapper and road rash 3d.

Leathco
17-11-10, 05:55
Just got an email back from Korean GPH offices. They needed some sort of an invoice. Fortunately I had saved my email from GP2XStore.com which still had my old invoice.

Dear Mr. Chris

Good day

Please be informed that we received your unit this morning and we will send it to our tech team.
I just want to check if you can send us an invoice/receipt/email which can prove the purchase date.

For the status, we will keep you informed.

Thank you

Ellie Cha
GPH

saberman
21-11-10, 02:21
Sounds promising, or at least better than never hearing from them again.