PDA

View Full Version : latest update for the C64 iphone app includes several more games!

teknohed
17-08-10, 05:43
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/100817-tln.jpg

GameSetWatch (http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2010/08/commodore_64_iphone_update_add.php) has just posted some information about the latest c64 iphone app update.

I know that UK has had some trouble with this app so I've sort of held off buying it. Maybe now the time is right.

Edwards80
18-08-10, 09:52
The last ninja games are excellent. I just can't get on with the touch screen control method on these things :( Best way to experience The Last Ninja series at the moment (aside from the real thing or PC emulation) is on the Wii VC.

darksol
18-08-10, 05:43
Frodo on the Droid works pretty good as well. And there is a wider selection of titles u can use. I would like the authors C64 version ported to Android to compare them.

Sent from my Droid

meu2
18-08-10, 07:02
Of course Frodo is the reason this app will probably never be ported to Android!

retroshaun
18-08-10, 08:07
Can anyone actually play C64 games on a phone / emulator? Really? I tried Frodo again yesterday and its just impossible. Screen is too small (for emulation in general IMO) but controlling anything either from the teeny keyboard or especially the onscreen controls... maybe its me but I just end up extremely frustrated. Seems like more of a novelty than a practical application. Again, maybe its just me being all fingers and thumbs!

darksol
19-08-10, 12:02
@retroshaun. Android froyo is far from polished. I can play Archon but forget about Turrican or R-type ort anything fast moving.

@Mike, Kareketka was not too bad :)

Sent from my Droid

retroshaun
19-08-10, 12:45
Yeah I can see strategy type games but thats about it... maybe my favorite war game Theatre Europe (why is this game never discussed it seems?!)

I still think that, for me, I need something physical as a controller and if I really *must* use on screen, I need a decent sized screen, maybe not iPad sized but somewhere in between that and a cell phone. I have the same problems with all emulators on small format displays though, not just C64.

meu2
19-08-10, 09:33
A lot of phones have reasonable sized screens these days (3.0-4.3") and have a high enough resolution for most retro systems so I don't think screen size is an issue for a lot of people. The on screen controls is another matter altogether. They just lack the precision and tactile feel of a real controller.

In a way itís an even greater example of emulators just not feeling like the real deal. Of course you can hook a Bluetooth remote, like the Wiimote, up to an Android device for use in its emulators. It still doesn't feel right though.

Gordon Bennett
19-08-10, 01:25
he biggest problem that I have had with mobile C64 emulation is definitely the controls. I use Vice on the Nokia N900, which works a treat as far as compatibility is concerned. It will run 99.9% of C64 software perfectly, including demos with tweaked display modes and IRQ loaders.

The keys are simply too tiny. It might work if you have smaller fingers. As it stands, I use mine for the aforementioned demos and for slower paced games. There's quite a lot out there that doesn't require quick reflexes. It's really a pity that there hasn't been a mobile with acceptable game controls since the N-Gage, as with that set of pad and buttons the N900 could be a wonder for emulation. It even does an Amiga 500 at full speed now.

darksol
19-08-10, 02:11
We have come full circle now that we would considerr the return of the Ngage a good thing. I am hoping Sony or someone else could pull off an Android gaming phone.

Sent from my Droid

teknohed
19-08-10, 03:55
The last ninja games are excellent. I just can't get on with the touch screen control method on these things :( Best way to experience The Last Ninja series at the moment (aside from the real thing or PC emulation) is on the Wii VC.
I got last ninja for VC and wasn't 100% convinced about it's translation to the Wii. Of course I've never been one much for the insane difficulty of that game. I didn't get past the damn rock jumping section! I don't know that I ever have or will.

teknohed
19-08-10, 03:56
Now that I'm reading through this thread again I find myself thinking. I guess I'll just stick with my DS. I don't have any C64 games, but at least I can play advance wars.

meu2
19-08-10, 04:34
Now that I'm reading through this thread again I find myself thinking. I guess I'll just stick with my DS. I don't have any C64 games, but at least I can play advance wars.

Don't bother with the DS C64 emulator though, it's pretty bad despite having actual buttons.

Edwards80
20-08-10, 09:16
I got last ninja for VC and wasn't 100% convinced about it's translation to the Wii. Of course I've never been one much for the insane difficulty of that game. I didn't get past the damn rock jumping section! I don't know that I ever have or will.

How long ago did you try them? There were a few issues a while ago and last ninja 3 was pulled from the store to fix some of them.

Nothing beats playing it with a competition pro or a zipstick but i've found the VC versions pretty good.

retroshaun
20-08-10, 05:14
A lot of phones have reasonable sized screens these days (3.0-4.3") and have a high enough resolution for most retro systems so I don't think screen size is an issue for a lot of people. The on screen controls is another matter altogether. They just lack the precision and tactile feel of a real controller. .

Yeah I have a Droid and the screen is perfectly cool for watching vids, using the actual phone and some stuff that was DESIGNED to be played on it but most C64 game I want to play are simply less fun than on a TV, the format they were designed for. The bullets are too small so the game is immediately more difficult, its hard to accurately judge the more pixel perfect jumps and spacings, that kinda thing. Thats my main issue as well as the controls of course - the two things together make emulator gaming on a phone just a tad too frustrating.

meu2
20-08-10, 08:06
Yeah I have a Droid and the screen is perfectly cool for watching vids, using the actual phone and some stuff that was DESIGNED to be played on it but most C64 game I want to play are simply less fun than on a TV, the format they were designed for. The bullets are too small so the game is immediately more difficult, its hard to accurately judge the more pixel perfect jumps and spacings, that kinda thing. Thats my main issue as well as the controls of course - the two things together make emulator gaming on a phone just a tad too frustrating.

I've an Android phone myself actually and that's pretty much how I feel about it too. Great for communication and media, but not so hot as an emulation platform. Pixel perfect jumping on a small screen that's partially obscured by the dodgy touch controls is not my idea of fun.

seanyboyuk
26-09-10, 06:53
Has anybody ran this on the ipad yet? The iphone in my opinion is too small for these onscreen/virtual controller games. It should leave it to the bigger screen devices.