PDA

View Full Version : Need some suggestions on what games to get for the Game Boy.

Dhalamar
31-07-10, 06:33
For whatever reason, about 2 hours ago, I got a Game Boy Color. Now I'm in a little bit of a rut, because the only game I own is Jack Nicklaus Golf for the "fat" Game Boy. Yeah yeah yeah ... blah blah blah golf game. But I like them when they're done right, and it helps kill a few minutes.

Now, I've played numerous Game Boy games ... but mostly arcade ports like MK2 and Killer Instinct. And, obviously, Tetris. But I'm not a big puzzle guy.

I need some suggestions on games to keep a lookout for. Being that it's a handheld, a lot of the genres like puzzlers, RPGs, sports games, etc etc I get hung up on with a full fledged console don't really apply to a handheld like this. I'm up for just about anything when it comes to a handheld.

I've played the Mario games, all the Mortal Kombat games (though MK2 was the only one that was worth a shit), Killer Instinct, whatever Zelda game that's on there and Kirby. And obviously that Jack Nicklaus game. But this is a system that's always kind of eluded me as far as games go, even though I've owned it at various points of my life ever since I was a kid and found one at a yard sale when the people had upgraded to the Game Boy Color. :P

I've got the Top 10 to go by, but what else is there to get? Like I said, the genre doesn't matter, I'm up for just about anything. And they don't necessarily have to be GBC specific games either. Just anything so long as it won't cost me a kidney to get. heh

T2 : The Arcade Game is kind of on my list along with NBA Jam, Double Dribble 5 on 5, Dragon's Lair, Alone in the Dark, SMB Deluxe.

miner2049er
31-07-10, 07:29
Super Mario Bris Deluxe as it has "The Lost Levels" in there too.
The WarioLand games.
Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare though it hasn't aged well
Balloon Fight
Cannon Fodder
Commander Keen
Dropzone
Game & Watch Gallery 2
Game & Watch Gallery 3
Konami GB Collection Vols
Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening
Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Ages
Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Seasons
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Oddworld Adventures
Oddworld Adventures II
Rayman
Tomb Raider - Curse of the Sword
Tomb Raider 2

SepticLemon
01-08-10, 03:52
Well, UKMike has put some obvious choices in there such as the Mario Land-Wario Land games, the Zelda games, Game and Watch gallerys, etc...

Here's some more I'll add the list.

Ninja Gaiden Shadow: I heard this game is tough to find, so expect a big price tag on eBay.
Radar Mission: A 2-in-1 game, a Battleships game with a submarine shooting game.
Bubble Ghost: A steady hand style game where you play as a ghost that blows on a bubble, but don't burst the bubble!
Castlevania Legends: So much better than Castlevania Adventure...
Kirby's Dreamland 1,2,Pinball Land: The GB Kirby games are great! No matter how pink he is!
Motocross Maniacs: The nest Excitebike/Kickstart clone ever!
Gargoyle's Quest: Play as the Gargoyle from the Ghosts and Gobblins serries in his own plaformer.
Harvest Moon 2: Still my favorite Harvest Moon game, they just don't make them as good as this!
Survival Kids/Stranded Kids: Konami's take on Lord of the Flies, as you become stranded on an island and you do your best to survive as long as possible.
Yar's Revenge (GBC version): A good port of the 2600 version, even though the sprites are a bit too big, and you have a scrolling screen, they introduce more drones and new gameplay modes.

miner2049er
01-08-10, 05:41
Motocross Madness: The nest Excitebike/Kickstart clone ever!ded on an island and you do your best to survive as long as possible.

Do you mean Motocross Maniacs? I coouldn't find any other.

SepticLemon
01-08-10, 08:06
Do you mean Motocross Maniacs? I coouldn't find any other.

Oh yeah, heh, sorry I typo-ed. I honestly thought it was called Motocross Madness, but I think that's a PC motorbike game. But yeah it is Motocross Maniacs...

http://upload.digiex.net/files/1ybwa3au57cxo8uxdhr3.png

Oh, and btw, Balloon Fight on the GB is called Balloon Kid.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nA8t7ZFEOBI/Stho9YbIB2I/AAAAAAAAApI/FpgKtFwCnMo/s400/Balloon-kid.jpg

Oh, and more to add to the list...

Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel: I've heard that this is a very good GBC game, I've never played it mind you, but it can get a price tag for 50 on eBay, crazy...
Resident Evil Gaiden: This (I think) is the only Resident Evil game that didn't get into the states, might be worth looking into if you want to hunt down some rare games.
Pokemon Red, Blue, Gold, Silver: Ok, I know not everyone likes Pokemon, but the original GB and GBC games are pretty good.

BydoEmpire73
02-08-10, 07:59
Super Mario Bris DeluxeI'm not sure I want to see a Super Mario Bris. Jewish version of Trauma Center? If anything, it should be on the Wii, where you can virtually wield the scalpel... okay, I'll stop right there...

Dhalamar
02-08-10, 10:59
Couldn't take just having Jack Nicklaus Golf ... so went and snagged Killer Instinct and Donkey Kong Country. Kinda surprised by how good of a port DKC is.

SepticLemon
02-08-10, 11:13
Couldn't take just having Jack Nicklaus Golf ... so went and snagged Killer Instinct and Donkey Kong Country. Kinda surprised by how good of a port DKC is.

Hmm... never like the Donkey Kong Land games on the GB. They tried to put the CGI FMV graphics onto a console that only has 4 shades of grey, looks very ugly...

Dhalamar
02-08-10, 11:20
Hmm... never like the Donkey Kong Land games on the GB. They tried to put the CGI FMV graphics onto a console that only has 4 shades of grey, looks very ugly...

This isn't Donkey Kong Land, it's Donkey Kong Country. Game Boy Color only, doesn't work on the original. heh

http://www.mobygames.com/game/gameboy-color/donkey-kong-country

SepticLemon
02-08-10, 11:32
This isn't Donkey Kong Land, it's Donkey Kong Country. Game Boy Color only, doesn't work on the original. heh

http://www.mobygames.com/game/gameboy-color/donkey-kong-country

Oh, that version, still, and even the GBA version, they're ugly as sin, Rare shouldn't work on anything that's lower than SNES resolution... Sure they might play like the SNES game, but wasn't the whole point of DKC on the SNES was to prove how the system can have pretty graphics?

Dhalamar
03-08-10, 12:21
Games like the DKC series and Killer Instinct (to a somewhat lesser extent) and Street Fighter Alpha 2 that got released right on the tail end of the system's life span and didn't get marketed AT ALL ... they were more of an effort (that damned well worked hehe) to show that the system still had some life in it when the 32 bit era was first starting.

And DKC looks impressive on the little Game Boy Color screen when you consider it's just a fairly powerful 8 bit handheld that was only really hampered by it's screen resolution.

The GBA version though ... somewhat less impressive just because of the more powerful hardware with, as you said, the low resolution. It's basically a PS1 ... just without the shoddy 3D capability. I never was all that wild about most GBA games to be honest ... a lot of them just feel weird to me.

Considering I don't have an SNES to play the "actual" game on. And my Retro Duo doesn't want to play them worth a shit anymore, it was worth the 4 bucks I paid for it. Especially since I only really play it in small chunks anyway. A few minutes here, a few minutes there. Just kinda shitty that the GBC's speaker sucks so bad. lol

Damn ... I saw one of those Game & Watch Gallery games up there at the pawn shop I hit up ... maybe I'll go back tomorrow and snag it.

Dhalamar
03-08-10, 12:29
Oh yeah, heh, sorry I typo-ed. I honestly thought it was called Motocross Madness, but I think that's a PC motorbike game. But yeah it is Motocross Maniacs...

http://upload.digiex.net/files/1ybwa3au57cxo8uxdhr3.png

Oh, and btw, Balloon Fight on the GB is called Balloon Kid.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nA8t7ZFEOBI/Stho9YbIB2I/AAAAAAAAApI/FpgKtFwCnMo/s400/Balloon-kid.jpg

Oh, and more to add to the list...

Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel: I've heard that this is a very good GBC game, I've never played it mind you, but it can get a price tag for 50 on eBay, crazy...
Resident Evil Gaiden: This (I think) is the only Resident Evil game that didn't get into the states, might be worth looking into if you want to hunt down some rare games.
Pokemon Red, Blue, Gold, Silver: Ok, I know not everyone likes Pokemon, but the original GB and GBC games are pretty good.

Never did like any of the Metal Gear games, RE:Gaiden ... sounds like it'd be expensive and I'm poor. :P The Pokemon games ... I never really cared about Pokemon one way or the other ... but I have played the Yellow version and it was pretty cool for what it was.

Now that I think about it, I actually kinda like the Pokemon TCG for Game Boy. lol Really makes me wish they would've released one for Magic : The Gathering because the whole TCG thing worked pretty good. And I think I saw that Motocross game at the pawn shop ... might have to snag it. I watched some video of it and it looks like a weird blend of Kickstart/Excitebike and Trials HD with the loops and whatnot.

Dhalamar
03-08-10, 12:32
Super Mario Bris Deluxe as it has "The Lost Levels" in there too.
The WarioLand games.
Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare though it hasn't aged well
Balloon Fight
Cannon Fodder
Commander Keen
Dropzone
Game & Watch Gallery 2
Game & Watch Gallery 3
Konami GB Collection Vols
Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening
Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Ages
Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Seasons
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis
Oddworld Adventures
Oddworld Adventures II
Rayman
Tomb Raider - Curse of the Sword
Tomb Raider 2

Commander Keen? Like, that damn kid with the bicycle helmet? They ported that to the Game Boy? :P God I remember playing the hell out of the DOS game when I was younger. Got the Commander Keen Collection on Steam a while back and they're still fun ... just that PC speaker sound gets a tad old. And Cannon Fodder? The characters were small enough on a computer screen when I played it back in the day, what are they on the Game Boy? Single Pixels running around? :P

miner2049er
03-08-10, 11:16
And Cannon Fodder? The characters were small enough on a computer screen when I played it back in the day, what are they on the Game Boy? Single Pixels running around? :P

It is a GBC game but it is very well done and easily playable on the small screen.

It is well worth picking up.

Gordon Bennett
03-08-10, 06:04
If you want something quite unique in the GBC library, you may want to look for a copy of The Fish Files. As far as I know, it is the only traditional point and click graphic adventure on any handheld (aside from mobile phones) prior to the minor revival of the genre on the DS.

It has nice fullscreen cartoon graphics, sort of like Dragon's Lair and Alone in the Dark, but with more of a flat cel animation look along the lines of Day of the Tentacle or The Adventures of Willy Beamish.

Dhalamar
03-08-10, 07:44
If you want something quite unique in the GBC library, you may want to look for a copy of The Fish Files. As far as I know, it is the only traditional point and click graphic adventure on any handheld (aside from mobile phones) prior to the minor revival of the genre on the DS.

It has nice fullscreen cartoon graphics, sort of like Dragon's Lair and Alone in the Dark, but with more of a flat cel animation look along the lines of Day of the Tentacle or The Adventures of Willy Beamish.

haha I'll get that one sometime just out of pure morbid curiosity.

Just snagged Robocop, Game & Watch Gallery (the original) and NBA 3 on 3 with Kobe Bryant. I have a feeling Robocop is gonna take a bit of memorization. heh

SepticLemon
03-08-10, 11:46
Holy Crap!!!

I went on an eBay and encovered...

MotoCross Maniacs 2!

http://pocketmedia.ign.com/pocket/image/object/012/012200/600828boxart_160w.jpg

I never knew this existed! Man I must have not noticed it, and I figured out why...

http://image.gamespotcdn.net/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/5/576025_68832_front.jpg

It was renamed in the EU. If I saw that I would've thought it was some crappy biking game, but now I know...

http://www.martingordon.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/the_more_you_know.jpg

Time to pick a copy on ebay! :D

SepticLemon
04-08-10, 12:00
RE:Gaiden ... sounds like it'd be expensive and I'm poor. :P

Well... I just found this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RESIDENT-EVIL-GAIDEN-GAMEBOY-COLOR-ADVANCE-ULTRA-RARE-/220461160108?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item33548256ac

And yeah, if you REALLY want to fork out $70 USD for a lone GBC cart, go for it, lmao. :P

Dhalamar
04-08-10, 12:10
Well... I just found this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RESIDENT-EVIL-GAIDEN-GAMEBOY-COLOR-ADVANCE-ULTRA-RARE-/220461160108?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item33548256ac

And yeah, if you REALLY want to fork out $70 USD for a lone GBC cart, go for it, lmao. :P

Yeah ... not that hard up. lol

Dhalamar
05-08-10, 11:54
Okay, I got fed up with not being able to play my Game Boy games while lying in bed so I bit the bullet and got a GBA SP.

The games ... Pokemon Emerald (bite me. I got the system from a pawn shop, and when you get a system at this particular one, you get a game of your choice from what they've got. It was either this or Britney's Dance Beat), Namco Museum, Serious Sam, Tiger Woods PGA Tour and Yoshi's Island. Any other suggestions for this system? heh

And yes, I'm still playing Donkey Kong Country on it. Goddamn mine carts ... God I suck at platformers. :P

I'm halfwayy liking the Pokemon game though. I just go in, do a few battles for a couple of minutes while I'm waiting on something, save and leave. Being able to save any time fuckin' rocks. lol

teknohed
06-08-10, 04:51
First of all I have to say that I worked on Britney's Dance Beat and it is a GREAT game, worthy of anyones collection.

2nd of all I"d recommend the following: Advance Wars. Final FAntasy TActics. Super Gaurdian Heros. Metroid Zero. Tetris Worlds (another THQ joint! REPRESENT for the Q!)

there are a lot of great Game Boy original games as well.

Dhalamar
06-08-10, 06:14
First of all I have to say that I worked on Britney's Dance Beat and it is a GREAT game, worthy of anyones collection.

2nd of all I"d recommend the following: Advance Wars. Final FAntasy TActics. Super Gaurdian Heros. Metroid Zero. Tetris Worlds (another THQ joint! REPRESENT for the Q!)

there are a lot of great Game Boy original games as well.

Sorry, zero interest in Britney Spears ... except for a couple of the videos with the volume all the way down. I've played Metroid Zero and Fusion, and while I can respect them as great games (and I'll probably end up picking them up eventually) they're not really MY kind of game. I'll have to do some digging on Super Guardian Heroes though ... Tetris Worlds is out just because I suck at Tetris and there's no fun in frustration. :P

Might snag Final Fantasy Tactics later on today or somethin if I go out ... saw, like, 3 copies of that at a local pawn shop. lol

miner2049er
13-08-10, 08:39
Tetris Worlds (another THQ joint! REPRESENT for the Q!)

Well if it remembered my settings in between games I might agree with you. LOL

teknohed
13-08-10, 10:59
Well if it remembered my settings in between games I might agree with you. LOL

That's a feature! It's supposed to give you more challenging.

tomtom2play
25-09-10, 01:40
You have to get Donkey Kong. You can pick up and play in 10-15 minute increments or play for hours. This is one of the best games for the system. The guys ranked it number 2 for the July top 10.

saberman
26-09-10, 10:10
It isn't Gameboy colour specific but Monster Max is a great Gameboy game.

Dhalamar
26-09-10, 10:24
It isn't Gameboy colour specific but Monster Max is a great Gameboy game.

Well, in the situation that I'm in now (Game Boy Color system and the Game Boy Advance player -that plays anything up to GBA- ... and I've got the Super Game Boy ... but no SNES to play it on) ANY Game Boy game up to GBA is welcome. But I've never heard of that game before, can you give me some sort of description?

saberman
27-09-10, 10:12
Well, in the situation that I'm in now (Game Boy Color system and the Game Boy Advance player -that plays anything up to GBA- ... and I've got the Super Game Boy ... but no SNES to play it on) ANY Game Boy game up to GBA is welcome. But I've never heard of that game before, can you give me some sort of description?

It is an isometric puzzle/platform gave in the vain as ‘Knightlore’ and ‘Head Over Heals’ for the Spectrum. It has terrific puzzles a good difficulty curve. You play through a series of levels each with several sections that get progressively harder.
Hope that helps?