PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 021 - The Smell Of Wilford Brimley

miner2049er
19-07-10, 07:10
The July Show (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2010/roundup021_2010.07.htm) is upon us.

It's on our own site for now and will appear on iTunes in a couple of hours. (I'm racing online before I do it if you must know.)

The Video Game Crash Part 3 - (00:00)
Hardware Flashback - (12:13)
Mike'd Up - (27:28)
Gorgar Speaks - (52:14)
Guinness Gaming Records - (55:31)
Top Ten Gameboy Games - (56:45)
Tech Questions - (183:08)
Gaming Trivia - (194:46)
Atar-Rewind (195:12)
Review Of The Gizmondo - (210:57)
News And Mailbag - (225:45)
URLS And Emails - (324:27)

Oh, and don't forget the Donate button (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm).

BydoEmpire73
20-07-10, 01:18
Cool, can't wait to hear the Atar-Rewind section (and everything else).

I haven't had a chance to DL the podcast yet, but I did browse around some of the show links. The game tattoo ones were hilarious. Awful... but hilarious.

Leathco
21-07-10, 03:50
Thoughts:

I never knew that the Game Crash didn't have much of an effect across the waters. Although it does make sense, now that I know that the market over there was more PC oriented than console oriented. As a kid, I only had consoles or, later on, ancient computer hardware (such as a Tandy in the mid 90s).

I really liked the hardware flashback. It was very cool to learn that the Mame CHD files can actually restore the original drive, I've always been curious if that was the case or if the process of compressing the drive data made a full restore using CHD impossible (would depend on the storage format)

Top Ten Gameboy mostly made sense to me. I figured Tetris would easily win it. I had hoped Castlevania Adventure went a bit higher, but can kinda see why one would think it gets a lower spot. Surprised by no Link to the Past. I'm a fan of the less popular Game Boy games, as mentioned in this months Top Ten threads.

The Atari-Rewind was pretty cool. Personally, I'd love this section loaded with the behind the scenes histories of these games. I think the old contest Atari started where you had a chance to win stuff like a Chalice and Sword and whatnot has an interesting history.

Oh yea, still no reply from GP2XStore.com. And more pixels keep frying every time I power the thing on. Pretty sure that's close to 200 bucks I wont see again, lol. Oh well, I'll get a Pandora next year.

I'll edit this post with more later, this podcast came out at the perfect time for me. I worked night shift last night and my wife worked days, so it was great to see this out this morning to keep me awake while I took care of the kids after I got breakfast and the usual housework done. Due to that, some of the segments are still hazy.

SubaruBrat
21-07-10, 03:58
I hope for three things:

1. Wilford Brimley is computer literate.
2. Wilford Brimley Googles his name every day.
3. Wilford Brimley finds our show and joins the forums.

GameGavel
21-07-10, 04:24
Thoughts:

I never knew that the Game Crash didn't have much of an effect across the waters. Although it does make sense, now that I know that the market over there was more PC oriented than console oriented. As a kid, I only had consoles or, later on, ancient computer hardware (such as a Tandy in the mid 90s).

I really liked the hardware flashback. It was very cool to learn that the Mame CHD files can actually restore the original drive, I've always been curious if that was the case or if the process of compressing the drive data made a full restore using CHD impossible (would depend on the storage format)

Top Ten Gameboy mostly made sense to me. I figured Tetris would easily win it. I had hoped Castlevania Adventure went a bit higher, but can kinda see why one would think it gets a lower spot. Surprised by no Link to the Past. I'm a fan of the less popular Game Boy games, as mentioned in this months Top Ten threads.

The Atari-Rewind was pretty cool. Personally, I'd love this section loaded with the behind the scenes histories of these games. I think the old contest Atari started where you had a chance to win stuff like a Chalice and Sword and whatnot has an interesting history.

Oh yea, still no reply from GP2XStore.com. And more pixels keep frying every time I power the thing on. Pretty sure that's close to 200 bucks I wont see again, lol. Oh well, I'll get a Pandora next year.

I'll edit this post with more later, this podcast came out at the perfect time for me. I worked night shift last night and my wife worked days, so it was great to see this out this morning to keep me awake while I took care of the kids after I got breakfast and the usual housework done. Due to that, some of the segments are still hazy.

Oh, Atar-Rewind is just getting started. One of the things I will be doing is interviewing some of the systems lessor known programmers, starting with Tunnel Runners Dick Balaska who I have tracked down and has agreed to an interview. It is going to be a great one, too and I hope to have for the September podcast.

GarrickGreathouse
21-07-10, 05:34
I'm 31 and grew up in south west Michigan/South Bend Indiana. We never saw a crash either, before the NES everybody was getting C64's. Every toy store sold computer games, and there were even a few computer game specialty stores in our area.

Our Mall and Pizza arcades were interesting. There were always fresh games being rotated, buy they were always a couple years old. Maybe vendor guys were filtering their old cabs from Detroit and Chicago into our area before they were sold or scrapped?

South Bend even had an Amiga store ran by a Warez release group. The guys would nab European Amiga games, crack them, and upload their work to Warez BBS's in America.

miner2049er
21-07-10, 09:02
I hope for three things:

1. Wilford Brimley is computer literate.
2. Wilford Brimley Googles his name every day.
3. Wilford Brimley finds our show and joins the forums.

Somebody add it to his Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilford_Brimley#References using this link http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2010/roundup021_2010.07.htm

miner2049er
21-07-10, 09:04
The guys would nab European Amiga games, crack them, and upload their work to Warez BBS's in America.

The Cracking and Intro scene were huge over here, particularly on C64 and Amiga.

Leathco
21-07-10, 12:41
Somebody add it to his Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilford_Brimley#References using this link http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2010/roundup021_2010.07.htm

Damn, someone took it down.

Flare
21-07-10, 01:57
Damn, someone took it down.
Ah, I know. I hate Wikipedia. You can never get away with stuff like this. I don't know how many times I have added the fact that Megaman's Elecman stage music was ripped off from REM's song "All the right friends", just to have some asshole editor take it off because "it's not relevant".

GarrickGreathouse
21-07-10, 11:53
The Cracking and Intro scene were huge over here, particularly on C64 and Amiga.

Have you seen this? Old C64 cracktros archived in flash!
http://www.docsnyderspage.de/_page/flash1.htm

GarrickGreathouse
21-07-10, 11:55
Really guys? Ninja Giaden isn't hard? But your money where your mouth is and finish the first game this weekend. If it's so easy, it shouldn't take too long, right?

I'll be waiting for video/photos of your accomplishment.

GameGavel
22-07-10, 12:07
Have you seen this? Old C64 cracktros archived in flash!
http://www.docsnyderspage.de/_page/flash1.htm

That is great. Most of my gaming on computers was on my Apple IIc and they had tons of great cracktros :) I will have to see if I can hunt some of them down.

Who said Ninja Gaiden was easy?

SubaruBrat
22-07-10, 12:30
"Really guys? Ninja Giaden isn't hard? But your money where your mouth is and finish the first game this weekend."

Look at the balls on this kid, one day in the forum and .......

Nah, really. When I bought my PS3 and a copy of T4 the kid working at Target suggested I just rent it because it was so short and easy. 9 months later I finally beat it. It could take me months to beat Ninja Gaiden, but others could beat it easily. When I bought it new off the shelf I found it to be not as hard as allot of other games that were out at the time.

Leathco
22-07-10, 10:54
Ya know, I just might take up this guys challenge. Been a couple years since I did a runthrough on Ninja Gaiden.

Also, and let me stress this, once you memorize the patterns in Ninja Gaiden, you can run through it fairly quickly. What made it hard was not knowing the patterns of stuff like the birds flying across screens and knocking you into pits. Learn when they fly up on you, and the game becomes much easier until the final few stages. Those final bosses can be a pain, especially dodging the projectiles.

To prove my point, my buddy Roth over on PlayTheNES.com can beat it without losing a life. Here's his vid: http://www.playthenes.com/1Life2Live/1Life2Live.php?getvideo=2#thetop

If I have time between my family life and my job, I'll post some pics of me completing it this weekend. I'll also have my NES in frame as proof.

miner2049er
22-07-10, 11:12
Sorry Garrick but I don't have time ;)

I'm too busy playing Apple 2 games for our August Top Ten. DAMN!!!! I let it slip................

GarrickGreathouse
22-07-10, 03:21
Sorry to say, but that footage seems a bit dubious. You can easily export a video like that in an NES Emulator using save states. Now, have that guy set up a tripod and film himself, the nes, and the TV all in the same shot and we have some better proof.

GarrickGreathouse
22-07-10, 03:26
The reason NG is so hard is that the enemys both flood the screen and instantly respawn when killed.
Here's the Angry Videogame Nerd's review of the game with detail about why it's so hard. http://screwattack.com/videos/AVGN-Ninja-Gaiden

Leathco
22-07-10, 03:58
Well I'll vouch for Roth and the videos authenticity. He may have used an emulator, but he didn't use savestates. As far as the respawning enemies, look at the areas where he is standing. Just move the screen forward an inch or so and the enemies stop respawning at that particular point. If you are having probs with respawning baddies, just take a few steps forward to scroll the screen when you encounter them. As far as the rest, its all about finding the pattern and memorizing it.

Now, if you want a HARD Ninja Gaiden game, look at Ninja Gaiden 3. THAT one is really tough. Enemy patterns can alternate, plus you don't get a good chance to learn those patterns due to limited continues. Once you run out of continues, its back to square one, while the previous games enjoyed unlimited continues that gamers could take advantage of to learn the patterns in the game. I can beat parts one and two, but I still have yet to beat 3, prolly due to the fact that once I get into later levels I deplete my continues quickly. I used to do that in Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 also, but I had enough continues to learn. Not in 3, however.

Duke.Togo
22-07-10, 11:52
Sorry Garrick but I don't have time ;)

I'm too busy playing Apple 2 games for our August Top Ten. DAMN!!!! I let it slip................

You have died from dysentery.

I'm with Leathco on NG. Beat 1 & 2, all pattern memorization, but never made it through 3... it's a bitch.

Gordon Bennett
23-07-10, 03:51
That is quite good news as far as I am concerned. One thing that came to mind while I was listening to this month's podcast is that while it is excellent as always, I would like to hear more coverage of classic computer gaming. Most of my gaming history was in front of a C-64, an Amiga, a DOS based PC - second to that, other computers such as the ZX Spectrum and Atari ST.

If you are sincere about the next top ten being on the Apple II, it is something that I want to hear. Incidentally, while you're reviewing games on it, be sure not to miss a few of my favourites -

Below the Root
Alice in Wonderland
Timothy Leary's Mind Mirror
Alter Ego
Labyrinth

All of these were ported to the C-64 as well, but I suspect that when the time comes to choose a top ten they would all be forgotten in light of the overwhelming games library available for that machine.

miner2049er
23-07-10, 09:31
Yes, August Top Ten will be Apple 2 games and of your 5, I have played 2 and neither would be in my 4 picks. Both ecellent games (Alter Ego and Labyrinth) but not my favourites.

As for more classic computer gaming stuff in general, it is a balancing act, I feel that a lot of my references are Commodore 64 based, and while we record Top Tens etc it seems to me that a lot of the time I quote C64 experiences etc so I'm careful not to overdo that and balance it out.

I've reviewed a few classic European computers in past shows (BBC and Amstrad come to mind) and obviously at some point a Sinclair one will come along, but I'd like to also do something on the other systems that started the computer industry and not just gaming, like the Altair etc.

We're 18 months in and we're just getting started..................

Leathco
23-07-10, 12:26
This is sad, but I think the only games I even played on the Apple 2 were Word Munchers, Number Munchers, Oregon Trail, and Carmen Sandiego. So....there's my top 4, lol.

SubaruBrat
23-07-10, 12:28
Nice call on the Mind Mirror program, there were quite a few of those types of programs out in the early 80's. The C64 had a biorhythem program that was in the same theme. Wouldn't be a pic of mine ahead of some of the role playing and sci fi games I did play but it was an important genre.

BydoEmpire73
25-07-10, 02:00
Loved the Atar-Rewind segment, SoCal. Surprising to me, as I thought I had a reasonable 2600 collection, but I don't have *any* of those games. I do remember ads and reviews for a bunch of them. Definitely keeping my eyes open for them now. Looking forward to the next installment.

I'd have to think for a while about my Apple 2 fav's. It's been so long, and I don't have many discs left from it.

GameGavel
25-07-10, 02:34
Loved the Atar-Rewind segment, SoCal. Surprising to me, as I thought I had a reasonable 2600 collection, but I don't have *any* of those games. I do remember ads and reviews for a bunch of them. Definitely keeping my eyes open for them now. Looking forward to the next installment.

I'd have to think for a while about my Apple 2 fav's. It's been so long, and I don't have many discs left from it.

Glad you liked Atar-Rewind. After recording that I actually tracked down the programmer of Tunnel Runner and will be interviewing him for an upcoming episode. I love tracking down some of the lessor known programmers and will be doing more interviews with them.

BydoEmpire73
25-07-10, 03:26
Glad you liked Atar-Rewind. After recording that I actually tracked down the programmer of Tunnel Runner and will be interviewing him for an upcoming episode. I love tracking down some of the lessor known programmers and will be doing more interviews with them.Wow, that's fantastic. I'd love to hear an interview with him, especially since it sounds like a game that really pushed the 2600. Now you need to get an interview w/ Tom Loughry (programmer of Treasure of Tarmin - my #1 "ahead of its time" game).

Duke.Togo
25-07-10, 04:30
Another great show. Oh, and those "special" computer cassettes? Yeah, I still have a few of those from my TI-99/4A days:
http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/jackcrow2000/img034.jpg

SubaruBrat
25-07-10, 12:09
That is the one, I can't believe people paid between $5 and $10 each for those! I always used the 10 in a pack certrons:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/imager/from-back-when-mt-richmore-was-just-a-glimmer-in-john-richs-loins/b/original/1485856/c074/John_Rich_demo.png

readboy
26-07-10, 02:40
As always a great show guys. I was wondering the whole way through what the hell was with the Stetson references; the reveal was well worth the wait.

I liked the new Atar-rewind section, I found myself trying these out in emulation and there were some very good twitch games in there.

The top-ten this month also inspired me to try out Lameboy a GB/GBC emulator for the DS. I always dismissed the GB as being underpowered and for kids. Well I am eating my words, some of your top 10 games are excellent, I particularly liked Kirby's Blockball as I thought every possible variation on breakout had been done, but trust Nintendo to find a way of improving the formula.

miner2049er
26-07-10, 03:14
I'd never heard of Stetson until SOCal mentioned it, but what a great name for it, that's why I exploded.

Also, Lameboy is excellent, one of the best GB (and GBC) emulators I've used. It would be nice if it paused when you hit the touch screen and went into the menus though.

readboy
27-07-10, 08:03
Good point on the need for a pause in Lameboy when you want to save state or fiddle with settings, I tend to use the shoulder button to bring up the menu as it's quicker mid game. I also like the screen scaling triggered from the y button, as it zooms in or out smoothly whilst the game is still in motion, pretty cool. I was also thinking it might be worth doing a section in the show on emulators for various platforms, just highlighting the best, where to get them from, how to set them up etc.

miner2049er
27-07-10, 10:28
I wrote an Editorial about emulation last year but when I read it back it kind of bordered on piracy so I need to go back and look at it agian, but as a subject it is something we should cover.

readboy
27-07-10, 11:42
I wrote an Editorial about emulation last year but when I read it back it kind of bordered on piracy so I need to go back and look at it agian, but as a subject it is something we should cover.

I can understand that and thinking about it most games files/roms you can download would be illegal. There are exceptions though, like all files in the World of Spectrum archive have the owners permission for distribution, maybe that could be covered as part of the segment as well. I am not sure what other sites offer this kind of permission checking.

Duke.Togo
28-07-10, 01:15
Got my prize package in the mail today! Thanks for the goodies, especially SMURF (I am secure enough in my manhood to admit it I loved that game back in the day).
http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/jackcrow2000/IMG_4278.jpghttp://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/jackcrow2000/IMG_4276.jpg

Hope to have my video ready for the current contest up tomorrow. Thanks again for taking great care of your fans!

GameGavel
28-07-10, 02:13
Glad you liked it :) Be sure to give that 101 in 1 a chance. It's a great little system. It plays tons of NES games. The ones I like are Donkey 1,2,3, Pooyan, Excite Bike, Karateka, Super Contra and tons more. That Entex Baseball works but the batteries wiggle a bit and it will blink on and off sometimes.

Leathco
28-07-10, 02:48
Cool snag man!

GarrickGreathouse
28-07-10, 11:58

Emulation is the single best thing to ever happen to classic gaming by keeping the games available.

For years developers ignored their back catalogs, and they still can't write code that emulates the games as perfectly as the home brews do (Microsoft Game Room anyone?).

Plus it guarantees a near complete archive.

teknohed
30-07-10, 12:03
Can't believe no one posted any Brimley-Cats yet. Gonna have to make up for it:

http://keepbreathing.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/diabeetus.jpg

http://totallylookslike.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/6wilford-brimley.jpg

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/12/22/128744541511549369.jpg

http://www.reoiv.com/images/random/moomanbrimley1.jpg

SubaruBrat
30-07-10, 01:26
I think the smell of Wilford Brimley should be accompanied by the bodily sounds of Wilford Brimley.

Gordon Bennett
30-07-10, 11:34
Emulation is the single best thing to ever happen to classic gaming by keeping the games available.

For years developers ignored their back catalogs, and they still can't write code that emulates the games as perfectly as the home brews do (Microsoft Game Room anyone?).

Plus it guarantees a near complete archive.

Emulation is a wonder and a joy for me. It helps me save enormously on space. Besides, there is something truly special about having a wide and varied collection of games and platforms all available on my laptop.

Unfortunately I have yet to encounter a 3DO emulator that can play Twisted: The Game Show and Zhadnost: The People's Party. I do miss those games.

miner2049er
30-07-10, 11:55
I'm going to revisit my segment on emulation and it may run in the upcoming months.

BTW I have 2 killer intros lined up.

I laugh every time I play them.

teknohed
31-07-10, 12:15
I feel the same about emulation, but there is definitely something to be said for playing a game on the original hardware. I had played through stalker several times on emulation and recently was able to play it on the Sega CD. I have to say that the experience of playing it on an SD screen with the genesis controller / enforcer light gun was a real treat. I think if you have a game that you really love you owe it to yourself to at least attempt to play it in it's original format.

GarrickGreathouse
02-08-10, 05:38
Emulation also gives people direct access to the audio and visual elements of these old games. I'm looking at the animated sprites to the right of this window I'm typing in, and the sprites were pulled from a ROM not hand drawn.

Gordon Bennett
02-08-10, 10:23
There is also emulation as a means to development. I wrote a game for the Spectrum ages ago that was done entirely on an emulator. It was very useful to be able to save snapshots to the hard drive as I progressed rather than save to a physical tape.

It wasn't much of a game. If you are wondering, it's called Advanced Year 2000 Simulator and is out on the internet somewhere. It was deliberately bad and written in BASIC (I am no coder) - but I wonder if I would have been able to bother seeing it through at all if I wasn't able to save easily and write it on my laptop while out having coffee.

Trooper
04-08-10, 12:34
Another great show, as always!
The Gizmondoreview is the only part of the show I have some issues with. Correct me if I'm wrong UK but it seem's as if though you haven't really tried it out for yourself? It may come down to my poor listening skills but to me the review sounded like.....like a second hand review. Like you read a bunch of other reviews on the Gizmondo and used that as a base for your own? Like I said, if I'm wrong I'm sorry.
Most of the information about the people involved with the Gizmondo was right on the spot but I think that you dwelled a bit too much on the dumbasses who blew all the money and too little on the machine itself. I've got a couple of Gizmondos myself, I had the good fortune to be able to snag one when EB Games / Gamestop were dumping them for as little as 500 SEK (about $70) with four games included. I must say I've probably gotten more fun out of this little machine than I have from my PSP or DS. The games may not be great but there are a few gems in there, P.O.D. is a great shoot 'em up, Sticky Balls is a nice puzzlegame (with a title to die for ;) ), FIFA 2005 is really good and Trailblazer is a great update to the classic game, and Colors really had some potential even though it isn't really finished for obvious reasons. One aspect of the Gizmondo that you didn't mention at all and where it truly shines is the emulationcapabilities of it. I've been running Atari 8-bit, C64, Spectrum, GB, Megadrive, and NES games on the Gizmondo and it's really great! Not to mention how easy it is to get acces to this, just put the "Service Pack B" on an MMC card, plug it in, boot up and there you go. It really is a fun little machine that gets a lot of undeserved crap thrown at it and I urge you all to try it out! You can get one on eBay for next to nothing these days and you should also be able to get almost all of the released games for pennies.
Other than that, great work as always :)

saberman
05-08-10, 09:47
Great podcast as usual guys. As a UK gamer I total agree with UKís comment on the crash it didnít really happen over hear. Unlike Mike I gave the correct answer in 1983 to the question ĎWhat would you like for Christmas?í The correct answer being ĎIíd like a ZX Spectrum.í :).
The top ten Debate reminded me of watching Michael Jonson running the 400m, or more recently Bolt riunning the 100m. The real race was for second and third place as there would only ever be one winner.
The only thing I didnít like was the lack of a British hour :(. If UK Mike was up for it Iíd suggest he does a tour of the US next.

readboy
05-08-10, 11:56
I'm going to revisit my segment on emulation and it may run in the upcoming months.

BTW I have 2 killer intros lined up.

I laugh every time I play them.

Can't wait, the show has definitely got funnier as time has gone on.

BydoEmpire73
05-08-10, 04:59
If UK Mike was up for it I’d suggest he does a tour of the US next.That'd be hilarious.

Leathco
05-08-10, 06:54
Just so everyone knows, Troopers avatar is awesome. I have that image on a flag in my room.

BTW, new Iron Maiden album out this month Trooper!

BydoEmpire73
06-08-10, 12:23
Just so everyone knows, Troopers avatar is awesome. I have that image on a flag in my room.

BTW, new Iron Maiden album out this month Trooper!Not sure if it's still up there, but ironmaiden.com had a free mp3 download of one of the new songs "El Dorado." It's pretty cool.

teknohed
06-08-10, 04:40
I"ve always been a fruity electronic music fan...hence the "teknohed". But I do like playing Run to the Hills on Rock Band.

saberman
06-08-10, 03:36
There is also emulation as a means to development. I wrote a game for the Spectrum ages ago that was done entirely on an emulator. It was very useful to be able to save snapshots to the hard drive as I progressed rather than save to a physical tape.

It wasn't much of a game. If you are wondering, it's called Advanced Year 2000 Simulator and is out on the internet somewhere. It was deliberately bad and written in BASIC (I am no coder) - but I wonder if I would have been able to bother seeing it through at all if I wasn't able to save easily and write it on my laptop while out having coffee.

I’d say emulation was a double edged sword. I love being able to play Speccy classics like Alien 8 or Manic Miner on my PSP or DS. On the other had the immediacy of emulation detracts from some true classics particularly for someone coming to a system for the first time. If the guys ever do a Spectrum top ten then I know my favourite game, The Lords of Midnight, won’t feature. That’s because it takes hours, if not days, to get into.
I’m pretty sure Scott, Mike and Mike won’t do a Speccy top ten anyway but if they did I’d be really interested to see what they came up with. I’m not sure I could sit through the endless complaining about colour clash anyway :-/.

SubaruBrat
06-08-10, 05:09
That is in the works, not to worry.

Gordon Bennett
07-08-10, 12:15
I’d say emulation was a double edged sword. I love being able to play Speccy classics like Alien 8 or Manic Miner on my PSP or DS. On the other had the immediacy of emulation detracts from some true classics particularly for someone coming to a system for the first time. If the guys ever do a Spectrum top ten then I know my favourite game, The Lords of Midnight, won’t feature. That’s because it takes hours, if not days, to get into.
I’m pretty sure Scott, Mike and Mike won’t do a Speccy top ten anyway but if they did I’d be really interested to see what they came up with. I’m not sure I could sit through the endless complaining about colour clash anyway :-/.

I do see your point, but I wonder if people using the physical hardware might have the same issue, particularly if they buy games for it in large lots. Try a game for a few minutes to see if they like it, then move on. Overall I still think the convenience and universality that emulators provide does more good than harm. At the very least, it allows people who had never played the games before and who don't own the original hardware to try them.

I was actually on the C-64 side in the 80s. I don't regret it. I loved my Commodore. But I knew that there were great games and experiences that I was missing with the Spectrum. Once I had moved to the PC around 1994, I discovered that it was one of the very, very few machines that could be properly emulated. I spent quite some time exploring the Spectrum back-catalogue, though I do admit to some of the impatience with games that you describe. It's bound to happen when you're spoiled by choice.

saberman
07-08-10, 07:44
That is in the works, not to worry.

Cool. Although please donít be too harsh when commenting on colour clash :).
If you are considering games Iíd suggest the following hidden gems might be worth a try:
Krakatoa - http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0002763
A kind of defender meets scramble clone and a very good game once you get used to the keyboard layout. The games does display the keys if you wait a bit once it is loaded up if you have trouble figuring them out.
Great Britain Ltd - http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0002123
Great little strategy game where you have to run the UK economy. There were quite a few of these back in the day and it is a genera thatís only really survived thorough football management games.
Rommel's Revenge - http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0004236
By far the best 8-bit battle zone clone I ever played
The wild bunch - http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0007185
Another strategy game where you have to clear your name by rounding up a bunch of outlaws in the wild west.

saberman
07-08-10, 08:42
I do see your point, but I wonder if people using the physical hardware might have the same issue, particularly if they buy games for it in large lots. Try a game for a few minutes to see if they like it, then move on. Overall I still think the convenience and universality that emulators provide does more good than harm. At the very least, it allows people who had never played the games before and who don't own the original hardware to try them.

I was actually on the C-64 side in the 80s. I don't regret it. I loved my Commodore. But I knew that there were great games and experiences that I was missing with the Spectrum. Once I had moved to the PC around 1994, I discovered that it was one of the very, very few machines that could be properly emulated. I spent quite some time exploring the Spectrum back-catalogue, though I do admit to some of the impatience with games that you describe. It's bound to happen when you're spoiled by choice.

I totally agree on the benefits of emulation outweighing the downsides. Just being able to quickly save states on its own is a huge benefit :).
It is good to here a C64 owner found the joys of some of the Speccy classics through emulation. Conversely I discovered the likes of Impossible Mission for the C64 through emulation. As you say the huge choice meant that I’m sure there were classics I missed.
Thinking about this further my definition of Retro is a system old enough for the true classics to shine though. Emulation plays a big part in discovering those Retro classics. The other side of that is how you sort the classics from the rest. Podcasts like retrogaming round up play a big part in helping with that process on. I often try out the games in the top tens and have found some true classics.
My conclusion emulation is great but you need some direction in what games to try to really get the most out of a classic system.

TideGear
07-08-10, 10:06
Hey, guys, I've been listening for a few episodes now. I've become a fan! Not sure if you ever saw it, but I briefly wrote a retro game column for RetroThing.com. Links on my old blog here... http://community.livejournal.com/neo_backlash

Anyway, I noticed that you didn't mention Mole Mania in your mono Game Boy top ten, and it seems like something you all would love. Have you not played it? It's a Miyamoto action/puzzle game!... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_Mania

I noticed you didn't mention Metroid II either. Although it's really impressive on the limited memory of the Game Boy, it's not the best Metroid for sure, so I forgive you.

Ultimately, top ten lists are really hard and inherently flawed. Games are always forgotten, underrated and overlooked. Still, keep up the great show!

SubaruBrat
07-08-10, 01:29
Top tens are exactly what you say they are, I am proud that we can say we are doing something different though. Mole mania is not one that I remember, I will have to give it a go, thanks!

GameGavel
07-08-10, 02:33
I hadn't heard of Mole Mania until a couple weeks ago when I was in Phoenix for a small gaming convention. We went to a used game store and someone recommended it to me and I picked it up. Great game for sure !

Leathco
09-08-10, 05:12
It looks like we got a lot of new faces this month. Very cool indeed.

miner2049er
13-08-10, 07:46
Correct me if I'm wrong UK but it seems as if though you haven't really tried it out for yourself?

I thought I said that during the piece?

Anyway, no I haven't played one. The ones I almost bought fell through for some reason. I do intend to buy one and will make my feelings known when I do but I thought I couldn't do the games justice (or not) without ever having played them so i steered clear and focused on what i did know. I also said I was more interested in the other capabilities rather than the games and that is probably true too but it is certainly an intriguing device.

Unlike Mike I gave the correct answer in 1983 to the question ‘What would you like for Christmas?’ The correct answer being ‘I’d like a ZX Spectrum.’ :).

Knob!

The only thing I didn’t like was the lack of a British hour :(. If UK Mike was up for it I’d suggest he does a tour of the US next.

LOL. It may be missing again this month too. I have a review I may run instead. I've been receiving PMs and emails about some stuff so I may get into that.

The British Hour will return though, and rest assured I have some American ones in the pipeline. There are some stereotypical parts of the US that the British Hour just has to visit.

It looks like we got a lot of new faces this month. Very cool indeed.

Yeah we got a good influx.

Chris
18-08-10, 05:02
I'm just getting into the Top Ten, but I'm so stoked to see Revenge of the Gator get some love. What a great game, probably one of my most played GB games ever.

UK, I'm also a huge fan of Burgertime. Wish I had a decent version of it to play.

miner2049er
18-08-10, 05:10
UK, I'm also a huge fan of Burgertime. Wish I had a decent version of it to play.

MAME is the only worthy way IMO. You can run that right?

Flare
18-08-10, 05:20
The Intellivision port was really good too.

http://a34.idata.over-blog.com/0/01/53/72/jeux-ultra-retro/burgertime-intellivision.gif

miner2049er
18-08-10, 06:39
The Intellivision port was really good too.

Yeah and the Coleco too but MAME is the better option.

Chris
18-08-10, 09:10

I have Windows 7 and I looked for Mame on Windows 7 but all I got were a bunch of message boards with suspicious links. What is the "official" place to download Mame from?

retroshaun
18-08-10, 11:48
http://mamedev.org/

The first link that comes up when googling "MAME"! :-)

Then look for the official frontend which is called MAMEUI, I would imagine its Windows 7 compatible by now.

Hope that helps.
Shaun

EDIT: MameUI is http://www.mameui.info/

Leathco
18-08-10, 11:52
Yea, MAMEUI runs in Win7. Its what my UMPC runs.

miner2049er
22-08-10, 03:36
You can get one on eBay for next to nothing these days and you should also be able to get almost all of the released games for pennies.

I just snagged one on eBay with the GPS kit and cradle.

Now to snag some games and an AC adaptor...

Chris
23-08-10, 02:24
Just finished this month's show, another great one guys!

Also, I can vouch for the fact that the Ipad IS compatible with Skype. I used it to record with John Gibson for a few Season 4 DVD commentaries and it was great.

GameGavel
23-08-10, 02:37
Just finished this month's show, another great one guys!

Also, I can vouch for the fact that the Ipad IS compatible with Skype. I used it to record with John Gibson for a few Season 4 DVD commentaries and it was great.

How did you record? Through the Ipad? or an Ipad Ap?

Chris
23-08-10, 04:21
How did you record? Through the Ipad? or an Ipad Ap?

I just used the free iphone app for skype on the Ipad. It worked wonderfully, I was able to sit the ipad on my desk in front of me and it was amazing how well that little mic picked my voice up without me having to speak directly into it.

GameGavel
23-08-10, 04:35
I just used the free iphone app for skype on the Ipad. It worked wonderfully, I was able to sit the ipad on my desk in front of me and it was amazing how well that little mic picked my voice up without me having to speak directly into it.

Where does it save the recording? I was unaware there was a record option in there. I will have to look more closely.

Chris
23-08-10, 05:14
Where does it save the recording? I was unaware there was a record option in there. I will have to look more closely.

I think John had downloaded a free program on his end that allowed for saving Skype conversations. So he was saving it on his end, the Ipad itself does not have a "save Skype calls" sort of feature.

If you wanted to do some recording with the Ipad, you could download an app called Quickvoice Recorder. You can record yourself talking with that one and it saves to a file which you can email to yourself if you wanted to edit it on a computer or something.

Flare
03-09-10, 07:10
http://imgur.com/UNB6I.jpg

miner2049er
11-09-10, 09:13
I've got a couple of Gizmondos myself, I had the good fortune to be able to snag one when EB Games / Gamestop were dumping them for as little as 500 SEK (about $70) with four games included.

Mine has now arrived and I have to say, I was very disappointed with the GPS Navigator Program. Not so much that it is quite basic which I expected, but the accuracy of it pinpointing my location was terrible.

My commute is quite short and involves a long straight section of road, and the GPS had me driving alongside the road rather than on it.

I picked up Trailblazer though and holy shit, that is one of the best sounding games I've played, just out and out noise in a controlled way. Great game.

In other news, all the links I find for the Service Pack are dead. Get my drift? ;)

Flare
02-10-10, 03:50
Diabeetus Cat again...

http://i.imgur.com/qkDqh.jpg

miner2049er
02-10-10, 11:58
LOL, I like that.

Flare
29-11-12, 04:49
Saw this picture on imgur. Thought it belongs here.

http://i.imgur.com/xWMIS.jpg

miner2049er
30-11-12, 07:19
Haha! There seem to be lots of cats that look like Wilford Brimley.