PDA

View Full Version : RetroGaming RoundUp 020 - Castles And Sh1t

Flare
25-06-10, 06:08
The June 2010 edition of Retrogaming Roundup has dropped.

Goto http://www.RetroGamingRoundup.com (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/), click on Current Episode (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/current/current_roundup.htm) and Enjoy!

TOPICS COVERED IN THE SHOW

Breaking News - (0:00) The Video Game Crash Part 2 - (2:25)
Hardware Flashback - (17:40)
Guinness Gaming Records - (62:59)
Tron Radio Show - (64:32)
Mike'd Up - (93:28)
The British Hour - (108:55)
Top Ten ColecoVision Games - see our results (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/current/current_topten.htm) - (132:41)
Pinball Fever Part 5 - (224:11)
Gaming Trivia - (233:59)
News And Mailbag - (234:53)
URLS And Emails - (326:09)

Oh, and don't forget the Donate button (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm).

Leathco
25-06-10, 06:54
Cool! I'll pull it down on my iPhone and post my initial comments tomorrow evening (gotta sleep for work tonight, and tonight is an asshole manager night so I can only listen to the podcast on my lunch, but I'll finish it off while mowing my 2 acre yard tomorrow with a frickin pushmower, lol)

Also, wow, surprised my request for you guys to alert the listeners to the con artists that are GP2XStore.com made front and center of the podcast. Thanks for going the extra mile, wanna make sure no one else flushes close to 200 bucks down the toilet.

GameGavel
25-06-10, 09:07
Hey UK Scott, Loved the Outtro. The Walkers Crisps joke. Nice!

wavemotion
25-06-10, 09:17
Woot! I got a mention in this one. I sayeth Woot again! (I jumped to the mailbag/news segment and now will go back and listen to it all!)

-Dave

Leathco
26-06-10, 02:15
Well poo, iTunes still don't show it.

SubaruBrat
26-06-10, 02:21
We do have direct downloads!

Leathco
26-06-10, 01:05
We do have direct downloads!

lol, I guess I should explain my situation.

I live out in the middle of nowhere. No neighbors for a couple miles or so. My only option for internet when we moved out here was Dial-Up and satellite. Obviously, I'm on Sat. I have a limit of 12 gigs downloaded a month and 5 gigs uploaded a month, so I gotta keep a close eye on what I download.

So now you prolly wonder why not direct download than use iTunes to upload? Well, my OS is Linux, there's not a version of Windows in the house. So, unless I run a Virtual Machine (which I haven't gotten time to set up proper yet) I can't use iTunes to sync my iPhone, which means I have to use apps like Documents 2 and FileApp to transfer music and stuff over WiFi. So for stuff like Podcasts its just easier to download from my iPhones iTunes, than use the Direct Download link whenever I am out and about at a WiFi hotspot (here lately McDonalds has been a great spot for free wifi lol)

Yea.....its complicated.

miner2049er
26-06-10, 01:30
There was an issue with the iTunes upload but it is fixed now, try again.

SubaruBrat
26-06-10, 02:42
there's not a version of Windows in the house.

Good boy, I wish I could escape it. I have run linux, Mac OS on pc hardware, and they are both superior. The problem is there is always that one program that I need that is only out for windows. So dual booting always ends up with me just staying in windows, which sucks.

Leathco
26-06-10, 03:22
Good boy, I wish I could escape it. I have run linux, Mac OS on pc hardware, and they are both superior. The problem is there is always that one program that I need that is only out for windows. So dual booting always ends up with me just staying in windows, which sucks.

I more or less had to wean myself off of some programs. iTunes was the hardest since I have an iPhone, but that will be fixed with my next phone upgrade next year when I plan on picking up a Google Android OS phone. Microsoft had already stopped making new versions of Frontpage, so that was already gone, but it sucked losing apps like Photoshop and Soundforge. Gaming became exclusively retro and console based due to a limited amount of Linux games. I've adapted well over the past few months though, and became pretty good working through a command line interface when need be.

More or less, if you plan on switching, here's my recommendations:
Internet Explorer = Opera, Chrome, or Firefox
Office = Openoffice
Photoshop = Gimp
Soundforge = Audacity
Movie Maker = Openshot
Filezilla = Filezilla (YAY!)
Webcam Software = Cheese
Yahoo/MSN/ICQ/AOL = Empathy
Nero = Brasero
Winamp = Rythmbox
Frontpage = Kompozer

Most emulators are the same. The easiest way to get a fairly complete and easy setup is to download and install Ubuntu 10.04, than install Ubuntu Restricted Extras (just use the search box in the Ubuntu Software Center) to easily enable all the codecs you need (MP3, DVD, Flash, etc)

If worse comes to worse, using a Virtual Machine to run windows works and you can enable USB support and Internet Bridging in the VM so the Windows part sees your net connection and USB devices. I just did away with Windows altogether (might as well take it on the chin all at once) but I understand if there are must have apps for some reason. Just remember there's a hell of a performance hit using a VM, so any modern games prolly won't happen.

Sorry for derailing the podcast thread.

GameGavel
27-06-10, 04:52
:E:

June is a record month with over 2,400 show downloads. Thanks for listening everyone

bill_loguidice
28-06-10, 09:19
Congratulations!

miner2049er
28-06-10, 09:47
June is a record month with over 2,400 show downloads. Thanks for listening everyone

Congratulations!

Thanks Bill, I thought I was missing something but you guys must be viewing the forums in black where I am using default so your white text didn't show up.

bill_loguidice
28-06-10, 09:51
Yes, the forum is black for me with white text. Personally, I'm partial to lighter color schemes.

miner2049er
28-06-10, 10:43
Well, it matches our podcast site in black but you can change the colour scheme in your settings if you prefer.

Edwards80
29-06-10, 08:45
Halfway through this one thanks to being caught up with the back catalogue now, great stuff as usual! Congrats on the record amount of downloads - sure it deserves more though!

BydoEmpire73
30-06-10, 03:46
Great episode so far. I love the Tron series, really great fun to listen to.

I admit, sometimes I skip the Hardware Flashback segments. But this time, the soldering tutorial was great and very timely. I learned to solder in high school, but I so rarely do it I'm really rusty. I've been considering building a guitar amplifier from a kit, and I'll definitely need to get better at soldering before doing it. My iron is a cheapo special, if I do get the amp kit I'll pick up a decent one. Also, great idea to pick up an old junk pcb and practice.

readboy
30-06-10, 04:39
Mike,

Thanks for your retro slanted view of E3. I have to say I was following the E3 manufacturers conferences online and the 3DS seemed to really steal the show. So your hands on review has confirmed my initial thoughts, I'll be in the queue day 1.
:YI

Leathco
30-06-10, 06:39
I gotta disagree with one thing, and a news article I submitted (actually making fun of a cracked list of hardest moments) will really show this.

I didn't think that seaweed/water stage in the TMNT game for NES was that hard. As a matter of fact, I plan on making a video showing how easy it is to run through it. Its all about knowing where the bombs are at.

Oh well, hope you guys agree with me about the other part. They were complaining about games that didn't have save features (even though the games did have password systems, but they failed to mention that part)

alyinsanfran
01-07-10, 06:13
Bloody good show guys, got through it in 2 days instead of my usual 3-5. Bad traffic is sometimes good.

Keep it up - much appreciated.

stturner
01-07-10, 10:33
Almost done, just started listening to the news part and had a thought. Why not have a section of the news dedicated to just articles submitted by Flare, since he submits so many anyway. It could be called "He has a Flare for News" or "The Flare for News".

Great show so far. Pepper 2 needs to move up.

SubaruBrat
02-07-10, 12:20
Great observation, he is a consistent source of news for us EVERY month. Thanks Flare!

Duke.Togo
02-07-10, 01:52
Finished up today. Still scratching my head on not even a mention to Zaxxon. I liked the soldering bit, I need to get off my butt and learn. Ever thought of doing some instructional videos Scott?

SubaruBrat
02-07-10, 03:11
i could but there are so many good ones out already. If you want referrals let me know.

Duke.Togo
02-07-10, 11:05
i could but there are so many good ones out already. If you want referrals let me know.

I would appreciate a recommendation. I have read several how-to's, but I want to really see what good techniques are. Thanks!