PDA

View Full Version : Costco selling Stern pinball: Batman, with a catch

SubaruBrat
15-06-10, 04:05
http://www.pinballnews.com/news/batmanlite.html

In short, they stripped down the Batman pin and reduced the price by $700. The Costco near me is a test store for the machine so I will be checking in on it and will cover it in the HWFB.

Dhalamar
15-06-10, 04:07
http://www.pinballnews.com/news/batmanlite.html

In short, they stripped down the Batman pin and reduced the price by $700. The Costco near me is a test store for the machine so I will be checking in on it and will cover it in the HWFB.

Hell, the thing still costs over twice as much as what I paid for my entire CAR. lol

Jacing It Up
15-06-10, 09:53
lol u can buy nearly everything at costco! and dhalamar u bought ur car for less than 1600....???

Dhalamar
17-06-10, 10:05
lol u can buy nearly everything at costco! and dhalamar u bought ur car for less than 1600....???

lol Yeah. I just needed a basic, no frills utility style car. So I snagged a 1999 Chevy Metro for $1,600. The only thing I really don't like about it is that it has a 3 speed automatic instead of a 5 speed manual ... which is an OPTION for this kind of car. lol

So when the people originally got it, they actually WANTED an automatic and power steering. The power steering I can understand (and that's another "option" that it doesn't come with unless you specifically want it) ... but why the hell get an automatic transmission in a car like that. lol

But if you're weirded out about getting a car for 1600, back in 2005 I ended up getting a '94 Ford Aspire for a hundred bucks. The only thing I had to do to it was clean it out on the inside (the guy used it to haul around landscaping), put some stuff on it to get it from a dull orange back up to a red and stick brakes on it (along with some other little basic maintenance type of stuff). :P

Edwards80
17-06-10, 01:21
Used to work with a chap who paid 50 ($100) for an old BMW 5 series from the late 80's/early 90's (this was the early 2000's), He ran it for 3-4 years until it felt like it was coming to pieces around you when you were a passenger.

Finally the rear suspension went whilst we were on a motorway and we thought that was that. . . . 2 weeks later, he bought another one for about 30, exact same model with an engine problem, swapped the good bits from the new one, into the old one and lo and behold, she was alive again.

Ran for a couple more years until someone ran a red and wrote it off. 7 or so years of motoring for 80. Legendary.

Back on topic though! I can't imagine anyone being in the market for a pinball machine would think about saving 700 on something which is purely a luxury already. I'd want the whole hog or nothing at all. Could be just me though. Looking forward to hearing it in the flashback. . . finally caught up on the back catalogue now!

Duke.Togo
18-06-10, 01:43
I think it is a reasonble toe in the water for Stern. If they can make a go of it and sell more machines through a large outlet chain like Costco I say fantastic. That will keep them strong and producing the top quality pins that I can't afford to buy but sure like to play.

bill_loguidice
18-06-10, 08:39
It still seems too pricey and not enough of a discount (only $700 when you're talking something you're spending $3,000 on anyway) for what seems to have been removed. They would have been better off (if the licensed allowed) just going with a slightly different theme and toys to make it an offshoot Batman game, rather than a stripped down version of the "arcade" version. It's a shame they couldn't just remove the coin box completely and just make a nice $1999.99 home use machine (maybe with less ruggedization) that was still fully featured. Of course then that would be even more effort and require a whole new design, and I understand them not wanting to go that route...