PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 19 - May 2010 - By Idiots For Idiots

miner2049er
22-05-10, 12:10
Hey now!

The May show is up.

I suggest you listen as there is a fantastic prize up for grabs. You could be on a future Top Ten with us. Yep you too could be spouting bullshit along with us.

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2010/roundup019_2010.05.htm

The Video Game Crash Part 1 - (00:00)
Interview From SC3 - (10:30)
Guinness Gaming Records - (20:20)
Tron Radio Show - (22:12)
Hardware Flashback - (47:53)
Top Ten Worst Games - (87:15)
Pinball Fever Part 4 - (184:46)
Gaming Trivia - (201:05)
Mike'd Up - (201:31)
The British Hour - (220:22)
News And Mailbag - (228:20)
URLS And Emails - (307:15)

Oh, and this month we have a special appeal announced at the start of the News segment so be sure to help out where you can.

BydoEmpire73
22-05-10, 01:17
Excellent, sounds like a great episode.

Dhalamar
22-05-10, 03:20
I'm gonna start listening Monday morning during work. I can already tell at a glance someone still reads my Facebook updates. lol

BydoEmpire73
24-05-10, 03:56
LOVED the outtakes this month! R.I.P. R.J.D. \m/ \m/

Great episode all around (I'm about an hour or so in) - the Tron radio segment was really a fun listen.

Leathco
24-05-10, 05:19
I like the topic on the Gaming Crash, hoping maybe the next one could be on the 16 bit wars?

The top ten felt odd for some reason....I'm so used to the bickering! Good top ten though, any of the games could've been number 1.

So any of you take the time to watch Mega Man? I thought it was very well made for a low budget fan film. It has a B movile feel, which is kinda cool.

Oh, and in Mario Crossover the characters DO use their signature attacks. Samus shoots, rolls in a ball and drops bombs, Contra and Megaman both shoot, and Belmont uses his whip. Even cooler, the Mushrooms power up all the characters, like adding a spread gun for the fire flower for the Contra guy, and having Mega Man shoot flame. I love this game.

BydoEmpire73
25-05-10, 03:27
Great hardware flashback, Scott. I've thought many times about putting my Touchmasters out on location in Chicago, but was always a little gunshy about having "Big Eddie" come by with a baseball bat and take them out. When we saw how much money some of the machines were making, we all thought "we're in the wrong business, we should be operators!" Heh.

I love the idea of using the machine to raise money for your nonprofits, be sure to let us know how your machine does!

RedWolfJC
25-05-10, 06:13
Great show so far... almost done with it, but two comments before I forget:
Scott, send some of those $1 Mortal Kombats up this way...
and I can't believe not one of the three of you has an Xbox 360... that really surprised me.
The Game Room thing on XBL is just OK... I think I went into it 2 or 3 times, bought a couple machines, and set up a few rooms, but it really just didn't seem to hold my interest... It's a novel idea, but when there are so many other options to play these games on compilations, in mame, etc, it's hard for me to get into it. There's not a whole lot of games to choose from (though they say they will be adding more), and a lot of people are pissed about having to "buy" the games yet again...
I think the Konami cab issue was that they aren't in the original cabs with the original artwork, but in generic black cabs, the Intellivision and 2600 games are in the same generic black cabs.

Dhalamar
26-05-10, 02:26
Great show so far... almost done with it, but two comments before I forget:
Scott, send some of those $1 Mortal Kombats up this way...
and I can't believe not one of the three of you has an Xbox 360... that really surprised me.
The Game Room thing on XBL is just OK... I think I went into it 2 or 3 times, bought a couple machines, and set up a few rooms, but it really just didn't seem to hold my interest... It's a novel idea, but when there are so many other options to play these games on compilations, in mame, etc, it's hard for me to get into it. There's not a whole lot of games to choose from (though they say they will be adding more), and a lot of people are pissed about having to "buy" the games yet again...
I think the Konami cab issue was that they aren't in the original cabs with the original artwork, but in generic black cabs, the Intellivision and 2600 games are in the same generic black cabs.

I've got a handful of games for the Game Room ... it's just that damn Xbox 360 controller that kinda kills playing them. Millipede on the 2600 is as fun now as it ever was back in the day, but trying to play it with that stock controller is a chore. The analog part doesn't feel quite right, and that directional pad is worthless. The arcade sticks (obviously) work great though.

And the games that use the vector graphics look friggin' stunning. :) They have that glow like the old arcades have and are just awesome. The control isn't the Game Room's fault in most cases (Crystal Castles and Breakout control like ass though and there's no way around it) ... but the pricing is a bit much in my opinion. Especially considering a lot of these games are on NUMEROUS other collections that cost only a little more than just ONE of those games.

RedWolfJC
26-05-10, 05:46
I've got a handful of games for the Game Room ... it's just that damn Xbox 360 controller that kinda kills playing them. Millipede on the 2600 is as fun now as it ever was back in the day, but trying to play it with that stock controller is a chore. The analog part doesn't feel quite right, and that directional pad is worthless. The arcade sticks (obviously) work great though.

And the games that use the vector graphics look friggin' stunning. :) They have that glow like the old arcades have and are just awesome. The control isn't the Game Room's fault in most cases (Crystal Castles and Breakout control like ass though and there's no way around it) ... but the pricing is a bit much in my opinion. Especially considering a lot of these games are on NUMEROUS other collections that cost only a little more than just ONE of those games.

Yeah I had a few extra points to use so I got the Asteroids Deluxe and Lunar Lander, and they both look great... I got Centipede too, which sucks to play with the xbox controller...
And yeah, they are too expensive, though I read that the ones they will be adding in the future, supposedly will cost between $0.59 and $5, depending on the game... wonder what you'll get for 59 cents? Pong maybe, Combat?
I'll have to log on again, the last time I was on there was only 12 games I think? At least they only had 2 game packs available, I think they have released a third now...it's been a while since I checked.

Leathco
26-05-10, 01:07
I love the idea of the game room, but can't try it out. I have a PS3 instead of 360, and I hardly play it. So, is it something like the old PS1 Namco Museum games?

Oh, and SoCal, you got frickin robbed at that swap meet. I say if you would have tackled the guy it would have solved all your problems. Oh well, you scored big last month with the arcade cab, so you win some, you lose some.

GameGavel
27-05-10, 12:17
I love the idea of the game room, but can't try it out. I have a PS3 instead of 360, and I hardly play it. So, is it something like the old PS1 Namco Museum games?

Oh, and SoCal, you got frickin robbed at that swap meet. I say if you would have tackled the guy it would have solved all your problems. Oh well, you scored big last month with the arcade cab, so you win some, you lose some.

Oh, Lord. Don't get me started :)

Dhalamar
27-05-10, 03:55

I can just see the news :

"Shocker at the local swap meets, an elderly asian man got tackled by a raging video game collector over a toy helicopter." *Insert picture of the toy with bad description here followed by a pic of a battered old asian man.

Then cut to Mike in the back of a police car pressing his face to the window as they drive away* "He put it down!!! The old *BEEP* put it down!!! IT'S MINE!!!!"

"Now back to Tom with the weather."

GameGavel
27-05-10, 04:22

"Shocker at the local swap meets, an elderly asian man got tackled by a raging video game collector over a toy helicopter." *Insert picture of the toy with bad description here followed by a pic of a battered old asian man.

Then cut to Mike in the back of a police car pressing his face to the window as they drive away* "He put it down!!! The old *BEEP* put it down!!! IT'S MINE!!!!"

Not just a "toy" helicopter. But this:

http://www.vertibird.biz/images/s2010001_71qp.jpg

Dhalamar
27-05-10, 04:29
Not just a "toy" helicopter. But this:

http://www.vertibird.biz/images/s2010001_71qp.jpg

You know that, and I know that, but would the local news know that? :P

GameGavel
27-05-10, 04:36
Probably not :) God, I was so pissed!

vibri2001
27-05-10, 06:03
Socal: Have you tried the vertisim (http://www.peterhirschberg.com/vertisim/index.html) by Peter Hirschberg?

miner2049er
27-05-10, 08:25

LOL, that's funny.

Mike do you have a mugshot?

Leathco
27-05-10, 12:59
That's much to tame. I see Mike resisting police. Actually I see five officers trying to hold Mike down as he breaks free and again attacks the old asian, and just as he raises the prized plane to the air, yelling "It's MINE!" an officers fires a tazer at Mikes chest. The asian dude walks over and picks it up off of Mikes smoldering body as the scent of urine fills the air, saying "I bought it FIRST, bitch!" The police begin to cuff mike, as he moans quietly "bu....but he put in down...."

njs
27-05-10, 06:20

This story was interesting to me in that it showed a pretty huge cultural difference New Jersey and California. If you had been in Jersey Mike, that helicopter would have been yours. You wouldn't even have had to wait for the guy to walk away. If it's in your hands, it's yours is the rule here. As soon as he let go of it, it would be up for grabs.

My friend had one of those toys when we were kids and they are freakin' awesome.

Nick

Dhalamar
27-05-10, 10:43
That's much to tame. I see Mike resisting police. Actually I see five officers trying to hold Mike down as he breaks free and again attacks the old asian, and just as he raises the prized plane to the air, yelling "It's MINE!" an officers fires a tazer at Mikes chest. The asian dude walks over and picks it up off of Mikes smoldering body as the scent of urine fills the air, saying "I bought it FIRST, bitch!" The police begin to cuff mike, as he moans quietly "bu....but he put in down...."

That's what would have happened before the news crews got there. :P

OldTymeToys
28-05-10, 04:07
Just finished the May episode- very nice job fellas, as always!

Just wanted to add a bit of info to the eBay auction by Chattanooga Pinball. Dale, the owner, is a long time member on the KLOV boards (RLEVIN is his name) and always gets shit for his prices. He then has to go toe-to-toe with someone and explain how his prices are retail prices and that arcade hobbyists are not his market. He's been in business a long time selling arcade/pinball games to the general public at the high retail prices- more power to him.

There was a thread on KLOV about his huge bulk eBay auction and to summarize: SoCal Mike was right- he does it for publicity. But I remember that he did sell a couple 100 pins to some rich kid a few months ago for an obscene amount of money...

stturner
01-06-10, 07:51
Great show guys. I was on the road for 4 and half hours this weekend and it really came in handy.

GarrickGreathouse
10-06-10, 04:56
I've been listening to the show for about a month now, and I'm working my way through the back catalog while at work.
I didn't realize what big racing simulator fans you guys were until I heard the top 10 Holy Crap list. I can't believe anybody would waste their money on Classic British Motor Racing when Forza 3 is available.

For as much love as you guys put into your car and sim discussions, why have you not checked this game out? Like Ferrari F355 Challenge, you can make it as easy to play or as punishingly realistic as you want. The selection of cars is amazing as well, Lotus alone has the Elise 111S, Evora, Exige Cup 240, Carlton, Elan Sprint, and Esprit V8. They even have great obscure cars like the Lancia Delta Integrale EVO and Lancia Stratos HF Stradale.
Check out this video if you don't believe how killer this game is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOeaVV8_pj0&feature=related

Lastly, it gets to me when you guys play some of the worst modern games available, then use the experience to paint the entire modern gaming scene.
Have you play games like 'Splosion Man?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXYJBu8861M

The Bit.Trip series?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nux9Aq9Fn9I

3d Dot Game Heros?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYxtqct0USI

Shadow Complex?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7zwMOSQOa8

miner2049er
10-06-10, 05:08
I have played Forza 1 and it is a brilliant sim. It's representation of the Nurburgring alone is worth the price of the game if not the console too, but sadly I have nothing I could play Forza 3 on.

If I had a 360 or PS3 I would buy Forza 3 and grid right off the bat, but I don't so I won't.

I see what you're saying about tarring all modern games with the same brush, but IMO modern games require a certain amount of dedication and regular play time which right now I just don't have.

Work is ramping up and I have young children so I know I wouldn't use one if I bought one. Maybe next gen I will buy in as my kids require less and less of my time, but maybe I will buy a 360 when they're retro LOL. That's if any of them are still running.

GameGavel
10-06-10, 05:27
I've been listening to the show for about a month now, and I'm working my way through the back catalog while at work.
I didn't realize what big racing simulator fans you guys were until I heard the top 10 Holy Crap list. I can't believe anybody would waste their money on Classic British Motor Racing when Forza 3 is available.

For as much love as you guys put into your car and sim discussions, why have you not checked this game out? Like Ferrari F355 Challenge, you can make it as easy to play or as punishingly realistic as you want. The selection of cars is amazing as well, Lotus alone has the Elise 111S, Evora, Exige Cup 240, Carlton, Elan Sprint, and Esprit V8. They even have great obscure cars like the Lancia Delta Integrale EVO and Lancia Stratos HF Stradale.
Check out this video if you don't believe how killer this game is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOeaVV8_pj0&feature=related

Lastly, it gets to me when you guys play some of the worst modern games available, then use the experience to paint the entire modern gaming scene.
Have you play games like 'Splosion Man?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXYJBu8861M

The Bit.Trip series?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nux9Aq9Fn9I

3d Dot Game Heros?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYxtqct0USI

Shadow Complex?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7zwMOSQOa8

You must be talking about Scotty :) I mean who in their right mind would buy Classic Brit Motor Racing. I don't think I downplay modern day gaming to much, but have to agree with Miner, that I just don't have the time to play the majority of todays games. I still haven't completed RE4 (Wii), Super Mario Galaxy (1), or the first Uncharted yet and can't imagine buying any of the sequels until I finish those.

I do enjoy playing some of the new-retro games coming out though, like you mention Bit Trip Runner looks great and one that I will be downloading sometime very soon. And just recently got X-Scape for the DSi and am loving it. There is definitely a great mix of games on the market for the modern day systems and plenty of retro-inspired games coming out all the time so it's a great time to be a gamer. . . of any generation.

And, Welcome to the fourms btw.

BydoEmpire73
10-06-10, 10:04
Each of the hosts did an editorial about their take on modern gaming a few months back. Can't remember which months...

SubaruBrat
11-06-10, 03:07

Well in all fairness it was a worst of session.... But as much as I do find classic games better for allot of reasons there are some modern games that are damn good and deserve their props. Let me say Red Dead Redemption has been getting most of my game play lately and I am impressed!

Edwards80
11-06-10, 10:23
Red Dead Redemption? I think you mean "Grand Theft Horse" ;)

I'd love to play more modern games but growing up seems to have left me with far less time to settle into a game, most modern games now have long story lines and need quite a bit of time dedicated before things really get going. If I have 20mins, Iit's fare more appealing to play a few games of Robotron 2084 rather than play a mission or two on Grand Theft Auto etc, or worse, sit through a painful tutorial.

Obviously there are exceptions either way. Bit Trip Runner is currently high on my playlist for example but the majority of new games just need too big an investment of time.

Dhalamar
11-06-10, 05:33
Red Dead Redemption? I think you mean "Grand Theft Horse" ;)

I'd love to play more modern games but growing up seems to have left me with far less time to settle into a game, most modern games now have long story lines and need quite a bit of time dedicated before things really get going. If I have 20mins, Iit's fare more appealing to play a few games of Robotron 2084 rather than play a mission or two on Grand Theft Auto etc, or worse, sit through a painful tutorial.

Obviously there are exceptions either way. Bit Trip Runner is currently high on my playlist for example but the majority of new games just need too big an investment of time.

heh Usually when I've got 20 minutes to kill I turn to my iPod Touch.

What I've got on there right now ...
Opera Mini Browser
Facebook
NBA Live (I'm not a basketball guy, but it's a really fun and approachable game that reminds me a lot of Double Dribble and doesn't crash every 5 seconds like the Double Dribble iPhone game)
Meebo
Tiger Woods PGA Tour
OpenFeint (gotta love the free shit. :P)
Modern Combat : Sandstorm
Solitaire
WootWatch
Plants Vs Zombies
Street Fighter IV
Canabault
Doodle Bowl
Dunegon Hunter
Commodore 64
Let's Golf!
DoodleBuddy
Hook Champ Lite
Sword of Fargoal
Rouge Touch
Vector Tanks Classic
Sentinel
Sentinel 2
Brothers in Arms : Hour of Heroes
Motocross Challenge Lite (neat little Excitebike style game)
LED Football 2
Baseball Superstars 2010
An audiobooks app
Resident Evil 4 for Beginners (fucking terrible)
Grand Theft Auto : Chinatown Wars Lite
TowerMadness
IMDB
Bruce Lee : Dragon Warrior
Game & Watch Series
LED Basketball
LED Football
Need for Speed Undercover
PhoneFlicks (Netflix app)
Babo Crash
Word with Friends Free (my handle is Dhalamar on there btw :D)
Tic Tac Toe Free
Deadly Dungeon
Solitaire City
A CraigsList app
Pinball Dreams
2010 FIFA World Cup (was on sale for .99 cents. I don't even know why I got it)
LightBike 2
Pandemonium
AbstractWar 2.0
APPZILLA (stupid little thing with 90 apps in one.)
Textfree (since I only have so many texts messages a month on my phone, I use this when I'm at home. And it's a hell of a lot easier than tapping them out on an old phone hehe)

And guess which one I play the most when I have 20 minutes or something to kill.

Solitaire.

:P

Other than that, when I'm on the consoles ... if I only have a few minutes to kill I usually hit up my 360 where I've got almost 200 of the Indie Games on there.

Either that or I might hop on my PS3 and play a free for all in Killzone 2 for a few minutes or something.

SubaruBrat
11-06-10, 07:09
Tell you what, I bought Red Dead for the goof factor under the idea it was grand theft horse and I was surprised to see it was much much more.

Dhalamar
11-06-10, 07:34
Tell you what, I bought Red Dead for the goof factor under the idea it was grand theft horse and I was surprised to see it was much much more.

I'm thinking about eventually just BUYING the damn thing purely because Rockstar tends to make those games that one thinks they have to have. lol

I have Grand Theft Auto 1 and 2 and (I think) all the expansions released for them. And not the freeware downloads either. These are PC disc based. :P

And within the last week, I've been on a huge PS2 kick and bought GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas. Still gotta get those PSP ports ... Libery City Stories and somethin else. And I've got the lite version of Chinatown Wars for the iPhone ... will probably end up buying the full version eventually.

And I don't even LIKE the damn games. It just seems like I should have them for some reason. When I see Red Dead cheap enough I'll snag it too ... and by cheap enough I mean under 30 bucks, because there aren't that many games that interest me enough to warrant spending 60 bucks on them. If new games came out at 40 I'd be all over them.

And just THINK of how many more people would buy a Halo, Call of Duty or even Red Dead game if they were at that price point. They would MORE than make up the 20 dollar loss per game. Hell, I would've bought MW2 brand-ass new if it was at that price point, and I can't stand that game. lol

GarrickGreathouse
14-06-10, 05:03
Due to a constant lack of money, I'm almost always a year or two behind in my gaming. When Red Dead: Crazy Broken Physics drops to around $30, I'll pick it up.

If you guys didn't know, there is this philosophy called "Open World Jank". When games get so large and complicated (Like Red Dead or the Just Cause series) there are unavoidable bugs. However, these bugs pop up in hilarious ways that make the game play like an episode of Family Guy or Robot Chicken for a few seconds.

Example, I heard a guys horse got caught in the geometry of the world, the model freaked out like some flailing H.P. Lovecraft tentacle nightmare, then flung his cowboy a few hundred feet in the air.

I love that type of occasional nonsense.

Chris
21-06-10, 01:14
What were the funny little vignettes featuring the british guy (not UK Mike) musing about mundane things? Those were hilarious!

miner2049er
21-06-10, 09:04
They were taken from "Karl Pilkington's 3 Minute Wonders"

Karl Pilkington is the guy from the Ricky Gervais Podcast. A complete idiot whose mind works in strange ways.

Hop on iTunes and download the first series of The Ricky Gervais Podcast, it's some of the funniest stuff you will ever hear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0HPi_fMfM4

Chris
21-06-10, 12:56
Thanks Miner, I love Ricky Gervais.

Edwards80
21-06-10, 01:48
Don't listen to Karl Pilkington on your iPod if you are using public transport . . . or RGR for that matter. Laughing like a maniac whilst sat on your own does not look good.

miner2049er
21-06-10, 02:01
Don't listen to Karl Pilkington on your iPod if you are using public transport . . . or RGR for that matter. Laughing like a maniac whilst sat on your own does not look good.

Though people will tend to look away if you start to lick the window during said laughter.

Just sayin'