PDA

View Full Version : Atari Tempest cocktail 50.00 CL Cal bay area

fnd
02-05-10, 05:35
Like the title says just noticed this Tempest cocktail for sale seems to need work but
the seller says its complete and they have the parts to fix it included ?

here is the link

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/vgm/1719629758.html

Leathco
03-05-10, 01:39
If I were anywhere near Cali I'd pick it up.

I'm stuck in the Midwest, lucky to find a Tempest in ANY condition here.

retroshaun
05-05-10, 05:19
Woohoo - I bagged it!

Pretty good condition overall... needs a clean and I am told it has a busted monitor (typical for a Tempest) and that they had a tech check it and it needs the LV2000 upgrade (therefore its probably the usual low voltage problem). The cool part is - he supplied that part which saved me about $40 so - not bad... effectively $10 for a Tempest cocktail :)

I didn't check it out yet or even power it on as it was a hell of a task getting it into (and then out of) my wifes car last night!!!!

This will probably be traded at some point as I already have an upright...

Heres a couple quick snaps I took...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/retroshaun/Tempest/DSC06720.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/retroshaun/Tempest/DSC06721.jpg

GameGavel
05-05-10, 05:38
I wouldn't mind getting that if you get it up and running. Let me know. Great score! I had a beautiful Tempest Mini that I regret selling. It is one of my wife's favorite games too. Probably wouldn't be that expensive to have it shipped down here to So Cal.

retroshaun
05-05-10, 07:08
Well SoCal you spoke first so if I get it working I'll let you know, like you say I really doubt shipping would run too expensive on this. Happy to wrap and protect it at this end too.
When I get time to do any repairs - now that's another matter!

fnd
05-05-10, 07:10
Awsome, Glad it went to a member here I was wanting it myself but have never
given an arcade machine repair a try and invisioned myself twitching around on
the floor from an electrical shock

GameGavel
05-05-10, 07:15
Well SoCal you spoke first so if I get it working I'll let you know, like you say I really doubt shipping would run too expensive on this. Happy to wrap and protect it at this end too.
When I get time to do any repairs - now that's another matter!

Ya, let me know. I am not a fixer upper :) I would love to have it though if you get it running. Thanks :)

retroshaun
05-05-10, 07:21
Awsome, Glad it went to a member here I was wanting it myself but have never
given an arcade machine repair a try and invisioned myself twitching around on
the floor from an electrical shock

And that's a distinct possibility with a monitor repair!

Thanks fort the heads up. I found out it was posted on KLOV too and some guy actually beat me to it by a day but his email wasn't working so he didn't get the reply from the seller! Once he did receive the reply he called up and I had literally just left with the machine!

The damn thing got stuck in my wife's wagon though as it was an incredibly tight squeeze and it took me an hour and a half to free it from its prison! I had images of my wife doing the school run with a Tempest in tow :)

SubaruBrat
05-05-10, 07:32
Nice find at an unbelievable price! Learning how to repair your own games opens up a new world of opportunity, not just being able to maintain them but picking up fixer-uppers and getting more games for the same money.

retroshaun
05-05-10, 08:06
Spot on Scott. I almost repaired my Tempest upright but in the end there were so many things up with the monitor that I sent it away for bulletproofing. I'll probably give this one a go myself though, once I do a little diagnosis.
Tho I would rather it was power supply issue than the damned 6100! Shocking that those monitors were shipped with the reliability issues they have - tho I expect no-one expected the games to still be running 30 years later!

Leathco
05-05-10, 08:27
Indiana sucks. I REALLY need to move to Cali.

fnd
05-05-10, 08:32
Indiana sucks. I REALLY need to move to Cali.

Your more then welcome but remember the cost of living here in the bay area
is very high I need a second job just to afford the damn Gas, dont even want to
talk about Earthquakes and the cost of the insurance

retroshaun
05-05-10, 09:28
Your more then welcome but remember the cost of living here in the bay area
is very high I need a second job just to afford the damn Gas, dont even want to
talk about Earthquakes and the cost of the insurance

You got that right - we're in one of the more expensive parts of one of the most expensive states. There are games here but demand is massive and these kind of deals are EXTREMELY rare. I am constantly wishing I was in the north east or mid west for the exact same reasons - grass is always greener. But gas - man oh man... $3.27 here, was close on $4.50 last year!!!!

retroshaun
05-05-10, 11:38
Hey SoCal if you want a Tempest that bad there's always this one near you:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/1725924999.html

(snigger!)

GameGavel
05-05-10, 11:45
Ya, saw it already. Probably my old one :)

retroshaun
10-01-11, 07:49
Long time since I updated this post! Great news - after a productive weekend - Tempest lives! The monitor was completely rebuilt, I put it back together this weekend and made some chassis adjustments and - voila! The screen looks absolutely gorgeous now - bright and vivid. I also took apart the CPs, repaired/replaced/cleaned the buttons, and started stripping some of the rusty metal parts ready for a quick re-spray.

Gonna be putting it up for sale soon, as much as it will be hard to part with it :(

Kombi
26-01-11, 01:14
Wow nice find, updates with photos would be great.

zxspectrum16k
27-01-11, 01:20
congrats and looking forward to some pics

retroshaun
27-01-11, 05:43
I'll post some at the weekend when I get the coin doors re-attached :)

retroshaun
01-02-11, 01:07
Here you go guys... more or less ready to go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3UZIfmz93o

SubaruBrat
01-02-11, 02:30
Good work, and satisfying isn't it! So about this selling it thing.... Keep it.

retroshaun
01-02-11, 02:32
Yeah Scott its hard to say goodbye to it - but to be honest I don't really like cocktails - they take up too much space and I don't enjoy playing them. I have a Tempest upright and hoped to trade this on for a more desirable cab (or 2) that are missing from my collection.

SubaruBrat
01-02-11, 02:49
Don't like cocktails, but the gin, vermouth, and olives... Oh that kind.. If you have a Tempest upright then sure sell the cocktail cab.

retroshaun
01-02-11, 05:58
I guess I'll gauge interest before planning its replacement :)

miner2049er
01-02-11, 07:17
I thought SoCal wanted it.

retroshaun
01-02-11, 07:49
he bought an upright I think :(