PDA

View Full Version : Alrightee ... JUST got a PS3 in the house Thursday ...

Dhalamar
02-05-10, 04:51
What games should I get for this thing.

I have :

Little Big Planet
Uncharted : Drake's Fortune
Killzone 2
Street Fighter 4
Warhawks
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

and Pixel Junk Shooter

Anything else I should get? And before anyone says Heavy Rain ... it's already on my radar ... but I'll be damned if I'm paying 60 bucks for 8 hours of play. And God of War 3 is on my radar ... just gotta get the money. :)

Duke.Togo
02-05-10, 02:16
Not sure what kind of games you like or what you may already have on other systems, but here are a few: Valkyria Chronicles, BioShock 1 & 2, Uncharted 2 for sure, Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection. If you have a backwards compatible PS3, or haven't picked it up for PS2, I'd also recommend Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection.

Dhalamar
02-05-10, 10:05
Not sure what kind of games you like or what you may already have on other systems, but here are a few: Valkyria Chronicles, BioShock 1 & 2, Uncharted 2 for sure, Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection. If you have a backwards compatible PS3, or haven't picked it up for PS2, I'd also recommend Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection.

I don't think I'll mess with the multiplatform releases for it too much because, with a few exceptions, they're done better on the 360 anyway. I'm more looking at system exclusives. And unfortunately, mine isn't backwards compatible. But not really a big deal since I've got a PS2 anyway.

And I've got Pinball Hall of Fame : Gottlieb for the PS2 already. :P

The first Uncharted was a weird one for me because I played the demo and fucking HATED it. But I think I'm almost halfway through the full game now and ... other than the annoying battles I'm lovin' it. :P

miner2049er
02-05-10, 11:45
I hear Blu Ray movies look nice.

Perhaps that may be a good route for you and your new bitch.

Just sayin'

Dhalamar
03-05-10, 03:09
I hear Blu Ray movies look nice.

Perhaps that may be a good route for you and your new bitch.

Just sayin'

eh, Blu-Ray movies look nice, yeah. If you've got 1080p. If you don't, then they're worthless. heh

Until I get an HDMI to DVI cable, no go. And even then, I won't be getting 1920x1080. Just below it at 1680x1050.

Leathco
14-05-10, 02:18
Sonics Ultimate Genesis Collection (You should find this for below 20 bucks, worth it, a very nice retro compilation)
Oblivion: GOTY Edition (My fave RPG this generation, also prolly under 20 bucks if you look hard enough)
The Orange Box (ALSO under 20 bucks, worth it just for Portal)
Bioshock (A little short amd easy for an FPS, but an amazing experience)
Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 (This is the best console strategy game I have played)

Dhalamar
14-05-10, 03:21
Sonics Ultimate Genesis Collection (You should find this for below 20 bucks, worth it, a very nice retro compilation)
Oblivion: GOTY Edition (My fave RPG this generation, also prolly under 20 bucks if you look hard enough)
The Orange Box (ALSO under 20 bucks, worth it just for Portal)
Bioshock (A little short amd easy for an FPS, but an amazing experience)
Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 (This is the best console strategy game I have played)

hehe Other than Oblivion and C&C (just not into those types of games) I already have them all. :P Well, I don't have Orange Box anymore (360 version is better than the PS3 one anyway) but I have had all those games that are on it and more for the PC for quite a while.

Thinking about snagging M.A.G. just to see what it's all about. Hopefully I can find it somewhere relatively cheap.

GivenTheOkieDoke
14-05-10, 04:18
Assassins Creed 1 & 2, any Rachet & Clank, Folklore is also pretty cool. That Mod Nation Racers game is coming out soon as well but im not sure if that looks good to me or not.

Dhalamar
14-05-10, 06:34
Assassins Creed 1 & 2, any Rachet & Clank, Folklore is also pretty cool. That Mod Nation Racers game is coming out soon as well but im not sure if that looks good to me or not.

Ratchet & Clank is definitely on my radar, but I've tried the original Assassin's Creed ... pretty graphics ... but you do the same 6 things throughout the entire course of the game. Just pathetic. And the DRM on Assassin's Creed 2 has kinda killed it for me.

Never heard of Folklore, gonna have to check that one out. And I haven't seen ANYTHING on Mod Nation Racers, but everything I've heard about it tells me that I'd probably like it. Hopefully there will at least be a demo of some sort since I didn't have the system for the beta.

I'm debating on whether or not I wanna get Resistance 2 ... mainly because I played the demo for the first one and got my ass handed to me continuously ... and I'm not THAT bad at first person shooters. :P

Also thinking about snagging Demon's Souls ... but everything I've read and heard about that game says that it is unforgivably hard. Those controllers are expensive and I have a hell of a temper, so that game may not work out too well with me. hehe

Leathco
14-05-10, 08:21
oh.....if you hit the PSN for games....
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10
Pain
Star Trek DAC (it got panned but I like it)
Turtles In Time
Pixeljunk Monsters

I Liked the first Resistance game....not far into it something happens that lets your character recharge health like in Halo, which makes it a lot easier. Resistance 2.....I dunno....its OK I guess, but I couldn't get into it for some reason.

Dhalamar
14-05-10, 09:27
oh.....if you hit the PSN for games....
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10
Pain
Star Trek DAC (it got panned but I like it)
Turtles In Time
Pixeljunk Monsters

I Liked the first Resistance game....not far into it something happens that lets your character recharge health like in Halo, which makes it a lot easier. Resistance 2.....I dunno....its OK I guess, but I couldn't get into it for some reason.

I'm staying away from the Mega Man games ... too damn hard for me. heh Might read up on Pain, and I tried the demo for the Star Trek game on the 360 and ... yeah ... *shudder*

I've already got Turtles in Time, Pixel Junk Monsters is friggin' awesome (from the demo anyway). And I already snagged Pixel Junk Shooter when it was on sale. :P

Still kinda wondering about Fat Princess, haven't dropped the money on that one yet. From what I've heard the matchmaking with that game is non existent. And, even though I don't have hardly anyone on my friend's list on the PS3 it'd be kinda nice to easily pick up a game with them. Or maybe they fixed that or something, because it was a somewhat older episode of a podcast I heard about the matchmaking thing on. I dunno, I'll probably end up getting it anyway. :)

I don't even like to do the fighting in that game, I just run around and chop up wood and rocks and stuff. lol

*EDIT* Just watched the little preview video for Pain ... kinda lame that there isn't a trial but whatever. My one question is ... "What the fuck?" hahaha

GivenTheOkieDoke
15-05-10, 02:05
If you like fighting games the Super Street Fighter Part 2 trio HD Blah Wornder Women Remix is a pretty good game. I like to think im good at Street Fighter but when I go online on that game it get my as handed to me. Also High Velocity Bowling is a fun family game. Lastly theres a game called Zombie Apocalypse that's kind of like a Smash TV game thats decent.

Dhalamar
15-05-10, 05:17
If you like fighting games the Super Street Fighter Part 2 trio HD Blah Wornder Women Remix is a pretty good game. I like to think im good at Street Fighter but when I go online on that game it get my as handed to me. Also High Velocity Bowling is a fun family game. Lastly theres a game called Zombie Apocalypse that's kind of like a Smash TV game thats decent.

I've got SSF2 HD Remix or whatever it is on the 360 (system I have the fight stick for hehe) ... might have to give high velocity bowling a try but family games are kinda "meh" since I'm the only one who ever plays the thing.

And Zombie Apocalypse friggin' ROCKS ... gonna have to try that multiplayer sometime. Really need to snag Afterburner Climax sometime as well. :D

Leathco
15-05-10, 08:52
To me 9 and 10 aren't too bad, more cheap deaths than hard. Mega Man 3 was legitimately hard, these just have quite a few cheap death areas. Learn where those are and you're good.

Oh, and 10 has a beginners mode that makes it a lot easier.

Pain is good for mindless fun. The game itself is cheap but if you want extra levels and characters the price adds up.

I'm listening to the brentalfloss CD which has a few Mega Man songs with lyrics....funnier than hell.

"My name, is Mega Man, I got a mother****in gun for a hand!"

"I am also known as the Blue Bomber, I can shoot the legs off Jeffery Dahmer."

Dhalamar
30-05-10, 05:03
Just got Modnation Racers, and yeah. This thing is AWESOME. Fast paced gameplay, excellent drifting mechanics, kickass powerups, flawless online play and a track/kart/character editor that is second to NONE. It does have it's problems though. In single player the A.I. is just fucking BRUTALLY difficult. Every race in single player is just balls to the wall due to the intense difficulty.

And the load times are atrocious. I literally sat there for close to a full minute loading a race, which is ridiculous considering it has a mandatory hard drive install that takes FOREVER it seems like. Now, I have heard they're releasing a patch to try to help the load times, so hopefully that's true.

And the best part, one of the characters someone made is Mario. And it LOOKS like goddamn Mario (though he's wearing a ball cap. But oh well.), it's great. :P Also, I saw Iron Man and Spider-Man in there. And a couple of the karts I saw that people have made : The A-Team van, and the Mystery Machine.

And (as of this writing) there's a "Ferrarri F1 F2010" that looks kinda neat, but I know nothing about the cars. These are just the "top karts/characters" in the hub world they have.

This game is DEFINITELY a must get for ANYONE with a PS3 ... this is the single BEST HD kart racing game out there. Period. The severe difficulty of the single player races may turn some people off ... but I personally love it. No race is easy, you're feverishly battling for first place, and it's awesome. The load times though ... they're not bad enough to kill the game by any means, but they are WAAAAAAAY too fucking long.

I was always kind of questioning my PS3 purchase because of the lack of good exclusives that make the machine worth buying ... Uncharted is good storywise but terrible gunplay ... Killzone 2 is fucking awesome but I could have lived without it ... Little Big Planet is great, but trying to find good levels people have made is a nightmare ... Heavy Rain is billed as an interactive movie, but as a movie it would've bombed. And I never was THAT much into the God of War games. Awesome games, and those games on the PS2 REALLY pushed the limits of that system, but the environmental puzzles annoy the shit outta me. But god dammit, this game has turned me around. It's just that good. :P

But if you're playing in the old 480i/480p like I am ... be prepared to REALLY strain to read the text. It's just a blurred mess. :\ And I *DO* fault the game for that, at LEAST they could've given the option to raise the font size like 3D Dot Game Heroes does. Oh well, not a biggie.

So far from what I've played, intense single player due to the insane difficulty and awesome online play as well as an INSANELY deep editor for just about everything. Yeah. Buy this. :)

thegamebaron
02-06-10, 06:41
I actually really like the God of War collection, Bladestorm, Sacred 2, Rise of the Argonauts, Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce, and the downloadable new Vandal Hearts game whose title is escaping me. I will grant you that outside of god of war the rest are multiplatform so maybe my opinion is worthless since you seem to want exclusives and I don't really go for the big time time games much and stick to my semi-crappy but fun side games. Just thought i'd offer my 2 cents.

Leathco
03-06-10, 04:26
Also you may want to look at some of the PS1 classics, some (not all) of the games are cheaper to get this way than actually hunting for the originals, like Final Fantasy 7 and 8, and also Tactics. Lots of good games in the classics section.