PDA

View Full Version : Found a TouchMaster out in the wild.

Dhalamar
21-04-10, 12:59
It's a full standup system that comes up to about my chest I think, and the sticker on it says TouchMaster 2005 or something like that (I don't know since I've never even used one before) but it has an "Out of Order" sign on it.

The touch screen ... it looks like there's an extra layer of glass over it that's slightly out of place. I didn't try to plug it in or anything because it was in the laundry area of a gas station.

BUT I'm thinking about calling them when the manager is there to see if I can buy the thing. I may not know anything about fixing arcade cabs, but I do have a fair amount of knowledge about PC hardware. Especially the older Celeron based stuff the TouchMaster uses.

But if they ARE willing to sell it off, how much should I give for a downed TouchMaster with unknown problems that could be as simple as replacing a RAM chip, motherboard or power supply.

miner2049er
21-04-10, 01:39
Start at disposing it for them as a service and go up from there.

Dhalamar
21-04-10, 01:54
Well, I don't know if it belongs to the store, or just some dude who kept it in there just to try and make some money off it or what.

That, and people are pretty fuckin' stingy about stuff around here sometimes.

Can't hurt to try though I suppose. heh

Gonna give 'em a call in an hour or two about it regardless and see what's up with it.

SubaruBrat
21-04-10, 04:11
It never hurts to ask, perhaps even approach them as wanting it for parts for one you already have. Sometimes people will sell it for what it is worth, or less. But you often get that guy who thinks he is sitting on a fortune and wants 10x what is reasonable, if not more.

Dhalamar
21-04-10, 04:59
It never hurts to ask, perhaps even approach them as wanting it for parts for one you already have. Sometimes people will sell it for what it is worth, or less. But you often get that guy who thinks he is sitting on a fortune and wants 10x what is reasonable, if not more.

I called him about it, and he seemed really cool and seemed to be willing to work something out (from what he said, whatever's wrong with it has to do with the coin mechanism ... which wouldn't mean shit to me if i brought it home) ... unfortunately it's not his. it's a vendor's.

but he hasn't SEEN the vendor in forever, and he doesn't even know the name or number OF the place. go figure.

BydoEmpire73
22-04-10, 12:03
the sticker on it says TouchMaster 2005 or something like thatThat's interesting since the last Touchmasters rolled off the assembly line around 2001. If it really said "2005" maybe the operator/distributor made a homemade sign?

It might be a 68000-based TM. Those had numeric model numbers - 2000,3000,... all the way up to 8000. While they're probably not as easy to fix as an Infinity (celeron-based), but parts are probably cheap if you can find them. If it's just the coin mech, even better, set it to free play and away you go!

Keep us posted!

Dhalamar
22-04-10, 12:08
That's interesting since the last Touchmasters rolled off the assembly line around 2001. If it really said "2005" maybe the operator/distributor made a homemade sign?

It might be a 68000-based TM. Those had numeric model numbers - 2000,3000,... all the way up to 8000. While they're probably not as easy to fix as an Infinity (celeron-based), but parts are probably cheap if you can find them. If it's just the coin mech, even better, set it to free play and away you go!

Keep us posted!

I could be wrong, I just glanced at it. But the manager seems like a bit of a moron.

He said it belongs to a vendor that he doesn't know the name or NOR does he know the number to.

But he goes to the college near here for law.

What the fuck is that. lol

Flare
15-08-10, 07:05
I'm baffled. My 3 and a half years old daughter is now addicted to Touchmaster (Mahki mostly). And, she's good at it!

I don't know whether to be proud of her, or worry.

Just took this a few minutes ago...

http://a.imageshack.us/img708/15/p1010935o.jpg

I guess, better have her "train her brain" than just sit there watching cartoons...

teknohed
16-08-10, 03:38
This is a great thread. I think we should start an "in the wild thread" where we post up stuff in our area that we've found. Might end up with a good database of wierd coin op at local bars and laundromats.

GameGavel
16-08-10, 03:53
This is a great thread. I think we should start an "in the wild thread" where we post up stuff in our area that we've found. Might end up with a good database of wierd coin op at local bars and laundromats.

Done. I have added a sub-category to the Arcade/Pinball forums just as you suggested :)

miner2049er
16-08-10, 09:06
Done. I have added a sub-category to the Arcade/Pinball forums just as you suggested :)

... and I've added a link to it. ;)

http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118

GameGavel
16-08-10, 02:25
... and I've added a link to it. ;)

http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118

It is accessible through the initial Arcade & Pinball thread. So if you click it you will see the sub category. Also you will see the path at the top of this page.