PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 17 - March 2010 - Ooh! There It Popped Out

miner2049er
24-03-10, 03:28
The March 2010 show is out and in all good book stores near you.

Ooh! There It Popped Out (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2010/roundup017_2010.03.htm)

TOPICS COVERED IN THE SHOW

Interview With Vince Dickinson - (00:00)
Guinness Gaming Records - (57:04)
Mike'd Up - (59:04)
Tech Questions - (82:37)
It Came From MAME - (100:22)
The British Hour - (122:32)
Top Ten NES Games - (133:02)
Pinball Fever Part 2 - (226:33)
Gaming Trivia - (278:49)
News And Mailbag - (279:15)
Expos - (386:18)
URLS And Emails - (388:07)

Donate (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) to the show. See the shownotes (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2010/roundup017_2010.03.htm) page. Join our Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroGamingRoundup/121368478521) Group.

Leathco
24-03-10, 06:13
DownLoading now. I'm very interested in hearing the top ten nes titles.

SubaruBrat
25-03-10, 12:37
Check out Bydo's interview as well, we had to split it in two parts because there was nothing to cut from it to shorten it, all good stuff!

vibri2001
25-03-10, 01:11
Great to see a new episode. Too bad it wasn't released a day earlier. I could have listened to nearly the entire podcast on my drive home. Normally it's a 35 minute drive. However, Denver had a spring snow storm which hit in the late afternoon and every way I tried to get home was blocked with cars that just couldn't make it up a hill. I left work at 4:45 and got home about 8:15. At least everyone in the family was safe. My wife got stuck after dropping our daughter off at a sleepover. I picked her up on my way home.

Shoveling wet snow is about as much fun as digging a fence post in through 3 feet of clay.

miner2049er
25-03-10, 09:13
Great to see a new episode. Too bad it wasn't released a day earlier.

It should have been but for my impatience, and impeccable editing of course. ;)

Leathco
25-03-10, 02:43
Is it sad that when you mentioned the bydo interview the first thing I thought of was r-type? So far another great show, I'll throw out some detailed comments later.

Edwards80
25-03-10, 04:18
Is it sad that when you mentioned the bydo interview the first thing I thought of was r-type?

Can't say it isn't sad, but I did the same thing at least!

I'm only 35 hours behind with your podcasts now. . . I'll be on a beach in the Maldives in a few weeks though so I expect I will do some catching up then. Looking forward to giving the recent ones a listen!

Dhalamar
25-03-10, 04:50
hehehe ... "Popped out"

*ahem* Anyway, just got done with the interview this morning, probably have it finished up tomorrow night or Monday night. heh

Duke.Togo
25-03-10, 11:47
Only through Mike'd Up so far, but you asked about Shadowgate Classic. Shadowgate was also available for the NES and is a point and click adventure game, in my mind I would call it graphical Zork. It is a good game, but once you know how to solve the puzzles there isn't any real replay value. If your copy is in great shape I'd suggest selling it and picking up a cheap loose NES cart version.

Leathco
26-03-10, 01:31
Only through Mike'd Up so far, but you asked about Shadowgate Classic. Shadowgate was also available for the NES and is a point and click adventure game, in my mind I would call it graphical Zork. It is a good game, but once you know how to solve the puzzles there isn't any real replay value. If your copy is in great shape I'd suggest selling it and picking up a cheap loose NES cart version.

if you like shadowgate check out uninvited and Deja vu on nes. They both use the same game engine and are fun too. They are ports of older mac games. There's also a Deja vu 2 that never came out on nes but got a game boy release.

I also recommend maniac mansion and nightshade as well if you like the 3 mac games.

triverse
28-03-10, 06:13
Great show as usual. Enjoyed the whole show (had to spread it over two days at work since my MP3 player was messing up). Thanks for mentioning Out-of-Print Archive, we do have permission to release ALL of Mr. Gollner's magazines, from both of his publishing endeavors (Gollner Publishing and Maverick Magazines). Out-of-Print Archive is the ONLY general gaming magazine preservation site to receive such permission (sites that focus on certain genres such as Atari Age or various early 80's computer's sites have received similar permission from relevant publishers). I was the Administrator at Retromags and a member there for nearly 2 years before having a "falling out" with the owner there and moving on with 2, then 3, like minded individuals (one of which was the "paper" co-owner of Retromags) and starting Out-of-Print Archive. As far as I know, Retromags has NO permission to release ANY magazines from the publishers.

Out-of-Print Archive has already signed another publisher to release their complete catalog of gaming magazines and we are working on gathering those issues so that they may be preserved digitally. Not to count the chickens before the eggs are hatched but we have other copyright owners that are to be announced over the coming months besides the publishers we have worked with already.

Out-of-Print Archive is a world wide magazine preservation site, myself, Carl Williams, am in Arkansas, Mike (STGuy1040) is in New Hampshire, Andy De Wild (meppi) is in Belgium and Neil (Nreive) is in London. Neil was the one that orchestrated the collaboration with Mr. Gollner so we felt it only fair that his details for the country be listed out of respect.

Keep on rocking guys, love the podcast. While sometimes I wish it was available in smaller segments (only when my MP3 player messes up at about half way through), it is great the way it is.

Dhalamar
28-03-10, 07:00
Keep on rocking guys, love the podcast. While sometimes I wish it was available in smaller segments (only when my MP3 player messes up at about half way through), it is great the way it is.

One thing you could do is just download the show and chop it up into 60 or 90 minute segments yourself. Just load it up into Audacity or somethin, select a chunk of audio, cut, paste, save done. :P

That's what one of my friends does for podcasts that are longer than about half an hour or so because her lunch break is so short, and she just has a little Coby MP3 player or somethin. She says it's a slight hassle, but worth the trouble regardless.

triverse
28-03-10, 08:15
Thanks for the tip Dhalamar, I have thought about doing that but keep forgetting (I am a procrastinator to the end). It is a great idea. I have one of those little 2 gig MP3 players that are sold at discount stores and such, it works, barely. lol

miner2049er
28-03-10, 12:48
Great show as usual.

Thanks for mentioning Out-of-Print Archive

Thanks for the kind words and you are doing a great job over there.

As for splitting the show, it breaks our distribution method to split it but there are tons of ways to do it yourself, only one of which includes buying a new MP3 player. ;)

Buy an old iPod, install rockbox on it and use bookmarking, it's what I do.

Leathco
28-03-10, 01:20
Nice job on the top ten nes titles. It's hard to take a system with over 700 titles to whittle it down to ten.

Dizzy the Egg though? I hate that game. And it's not that I don't like the style cause I love maniac mansion, Deja vu, and uninvited as well as shadowgate. I'm not knocking ukmike or his pick, I'm just surprised he liked it that much, that it was a top four game. Than again my top four is final fantasy, power blade, castlevania 3, and finally earthbound zero, none of which made the top ten. So maybe I'm the loony one. Cheers to ukmike for having an unorthodox pick and fighting hard for it.

Cool segment on pinball repair. It was a different feel for a segment that's nice every once in a while.

Thanks for mentioning me and nesjohnnys video in the news. Glad Scott liked it.

triverse
28-03-10, 07:21
I am looking at getting a much better MP3 player but right now I spend a lot of time working with water and such so it would be getting wet, a lot. That is what is keeping me from using my iPod Touch to listen to the show.

RGR is definitely worth any hassle I end up going through to listen to the whole thing. Just that simple.

Dhalamar
28-03-10, 09:57
I'm thinking about recording myself playing that Dizzy game for the first time ... I've always kind of avoided it purely based on the screenshots because it looks like someone puked up a pile of cow shit and rainbows.

http://www.coolrom.com/screenshots/nes/Dizzy%20The%20Adventurer.gif
http://www.coolrom.com/screenshots/nes/Dizzy%20The%20Adventurer%20(2).gif

miner2049er
28-03-10, 10:31
What is it with you people?

Honestly, there is tons of game in there, platforms and puzzles galore I tell you.

Record it and post it in our Listener Media threads.

Dhalamar
28-03-10, 11:36
What is it with you people?

Honestly, there is tons of game in there, platforms and puzzles galore I tell you.

Record it and post it in our Listener Media threads.

I just got done recording the video, it's uploading now ... I lasted 5 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore.

Music that felt like it was going to delve into my brain and turn me into a serial killer, awful control, terrible graphics ... I feel like less of a person for having played it. Sure, I could play it longer and possibly figure some things out about it ... I just can't bring myself to ever play that thing again. Terrible terrible game.

Duke.Togo
29-03-10, 01:19
I've played Dizzy a little, I don't think it is a bad game, just didn't wow enough to play it heavily. It's no Castlevania III *cough* *cough* but it is ok.

miner2049er
29-03-10, 08:49
I've played Dizzy a little, I don't think it is a bad game, just didn't wow enough to play it heavily. It's no Castlevania III *cough* *cough* but it is ok.

Now that's a little more like it.

Bear in mind the Dizzy games originated on the ZX Spectrum in 1986, the same year the NES hit the UK, and for a game of that time it does what it says on the tin.

Duke.Togo
29-03-10, 11:37
Now that's a little more like it.

Bear in mind the Dizzy games originated on the ZX Spectrum in 1986, the same year the NES hit the UK, and for a game of that time it does what it says on the tin.

I'm with you UK. Nostalgia is HUGE when discussing classic gaming. You have some great memories to go with an ok game, which puts it up there for you. On top of that it is YOUR top ten list, so I respect your fight for it.

I love Zanac on NES, and I am sure that my memories of it play a huge part. Not the most fantastic game ever, but I would fight for it.

BTW Ballon Fight is great, but I never played it back in the day. I agree that if something told me it was a fun Joust-a-like I would have, but as mentioned, the name doesn't really appeal to a teenage boy. Unfortunately though, if you call a game Urban Champion and put a picture on the front of a dude punching another dude, that gets a sale... oh, the horror.

SubaruBrat
29-03-10, 06:51
That was my point, it reminds me of a Simpsons episode where they were over at the nerd kids house and they had something like Happy Panda Adventures and Bible Fun. Had they named it Super Joust or something else it would have been a bigger hit.

vibri2001
30-03-10, 02:01
Glad to hear my news entry made the show. I have reported the error to the webmaster and told them UK Mike said to reboot the server. We'll see what happens.

bill_loguidice
30-03-10, 07:41
Hey, it was so nice to hear the Midway TouchMaster dev interview (I'm only just getting to listen to the episode now). I have a Midway TouchMaster 5000 (the second model) and it's really great.

miner2049er
30-03-10, 10:59
Yeah it's a great interview and more importantly it covers a subject I had no clue about which is also good.

njs
04-04-10, 02:43
Listening to the pin repair segment is intriguing as it is interesting to compare notes on how other people go about troubleshooting a pin. As far as testing the power board on Williams system 3-7 games goes, I just rip all the connectors off the power board and test voltages at the pins themselves.

I would also recommend a solder sucker over the solder braid for solder removal as I find the former to be a lot faster than the latter.

I'll tell you one thing, you are getting a real trial by fire here Mike. Williams 3-7 has some of the most popular pins but, they are planned obsolescence machines to the nth degree. Two things I would highly recommend you do (we do these on all the Williams pins of this architecture that my wife sells) is replace every diode on every solenoid and, re-tin the solder on that giant 30 pin connector/abomination on both the MPU board and the solenoid driver board.

Nick

SubaruBrat
04-04-10, 04:09
As I have told UK many a time, if you can learn Williams 3-7 you will see Bally as a cakewalk.

miner2049er
04-04-10, 12:49
Listening to the pin repair segment is intriguing as it is interesting to compare notes on how other people go about troubleshooting a pin. As far as testing the power board on Williams system 3-7 games goes, I just rip all the connectors off the power board and test voltages at the pins themselves.

Yes, the pin repair guide mentions that, and offline that's what I'm following so I've tested each pin had the right voltage, and now they do after I fitted a new capacitor.

I would also recommend a solder sucker over the solder braid for solder removal as I find the former to be a lot faster than the latter.

I heard bad reports on the suckers because the end melts, and I would be sure to touch my iron on it at every opportunity.

Two things I would highly recommend you do (we do these on all the Williams pins of this architecture that my wife sells) is replace every diode on every solenoid

Once it is running which is the first goal I will go back and do some of those recommended fixes that won't stop the machine running but will help it run longer.

re-tin the solder on that giant 30 pin connector/abomination on both the MPU board and the solenoid driver board.

I have done every pin on every board just to be sure. ;)

Duke.Togo
04-04-10, 01:08
After keeping up with your repairs UK, I must admit the thought of owning a SS pinball is sounding daunting to me. I've been delightfully suprised at how easy it is to work on the EM game I picked up, but maybe I have just gotten lucky with most fixes being simple, and directly visible. Are you getting close to it being a working game?

miner2049er
04-04-10, 02:43
To use Scott's question to me recently:

Did the guy you bought it off build the circuit boards from a bunch of broken parts?

I am stepping through the guide and testing each component in sequence and IC after IC is blown so I now only have 4 unsocketed ICs left on my driver board having replaced just about all of them and tons of resistors, transistors and diodes.

What may have started as a stuck solenioid has worked its way back through the circuit and fried just about everything it touched.

It is a little more working than it was, let's put it that way. It's slow going because I have to order things I can't get locally then when I have fitted them I can test the next section and then have to order parts again.

I think we'll get there but when? I don't know.

Duke.Togo
04-04-10, 04:43
Well at least it makes for interesting listening on the podcast. I'm sure you'll get it there, it just sounds intimidating.

OldTymeToys
07-04-10, 11:36
Just got through the whole podcast on my trip to and from Springfield, MO. Great show as always!! Thanks for making my trip bearable.