PDA

View Full Version : Tell us where you discovered about the Retro Gaming Roundup show

SubaruBrat
11-03-10, 07:52
Fill us in on where you discovered the show, were curious!

Edwards80
11-03-10, 09:53
Searched for "Classic Gaming" on itunes podcast directory.

Was extremely pleased to find such a huge podcast + added bonus that you don't class JRPG games on the PS2 as retro ;)

miner2049er
11-03-10, 10:55
What's the PS2?

Edwards80
11-03-10, 11:28
It's one of these

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/83/Ps-2-ports.jpg/300px-Ps-2-ports.jpg

I could never play any games on them though :(

Troglodyte
11-03-10, 04:35
It's one of these

Haha... IBM PS/2

Chris
11-03-10, 07:16
I was here from the beginning, it's a fantastic show guys, keep up the good work.

BydoEmpire73
12-03-10, 02:03
Fan of Retrogaming Radio, and got into RGR via MonroeWorld forums.

eldphm
12-03-10, 01:40
Same as BydoEmpire73, I was "inherited" from Retrogaming radio.
I filled the time inbetween by catching up on retrobits.

Dhalamar
12-03-10, 02:26
I hit up iTunes searching for retro gaming related podcasts every now and then when I initially got an iPod last year, I found RetroforceGo! and thought "Alright, surely there are other people doing this." And I was right. Found the RetroMac Cast and 1Up's Retronauts.

But this was before RGRoundUp was around ... found RGRoundUp on episode 2.

I drive around for 2 and a half to 3 hours a night delivering papers (trust me, it's not anything like Paperboy) and when I saw RGRoundUp I was used to Retroforce's hour and a half to two hour episodes which are the perfect length for me. But sometimes my podcast list is just not updated enough to fill the night.

I saw the length of RGRoundUp and thought "Holy shit that's long. KABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM!ing perfect!" So I skipped episode 1 so I could listen to them in order and I've been listening ever since.

I never understood people bitching about the length though since it's a monthly deal with the occasional special episode thrown in. These weekly podcasts that are an hour to an hour and a half long (like the one I'm a part of) equal out to about 4 to 5 hours or more even when totaled up for a month.

I love the long format, it's like a monthly nerd/retro opera. lol

I was hesitant about doing anything with the forums because I generally HATE forums. Especially gaming ones. But it's different around here in the fact that I'm not seeing 50 million KABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM!ing posts about "MODERN WARFARE 2 IZ DEE AWESOMEST" ... or Halo or whatever PS3 game people are playing.

Especially since I can't STAND most modern first person shooters. Unreal Tournament for the win, and the Quake dude would beat the shit outta Soap McTavish from Modern Warfare any day.

I know Quake and Unreal Tournament aren't exactly "retro" ... Quake maybe since it came out in 1996 for DOS ... but UT is questionable since it came out in 1999.

I just wanted to share how I found the podcast, why I like the forums and to do my usual bashing of boring, slow paced modern first person shooters. kthx

Oh, and Scott, for the record, I beat Terminator Salvation in about 4 hours on Easy. It's definitely not a BAD game by any stretch of the imagination (it's actually better on the iPhone) ... but it's too short and there's lots of areas where it just falls short. Like alluding to you fighting this big, badass enemy only to find out it never happens. And cutting down what could have been awesome gameplay scenarios to a cut scene that's a few seconds long. :\

It was worth the 10 bucks I spent on it though. If I paid 60 for it though I would've been PISSED because, even though it has cooperative play, it doesn't have Xbox Live support, so no playing with friends online to make the game better.

vibri2001
13-03-10, 02:21
I heard about it from the promo feed on abother podcast. Possibly Slice of Sci fi, Technorama, or tuning into scifi TV.

RedWolfJC
13-03-10, 04:35
On the KLOV forums... I'm pretty sure SoCalMike posted something there...

miner2049er
13-03-10, 12:41
I heard about it from the promo feed on abother podcast. Possibly Slice of Sci fi, Technorama, or tuning into scifi TV.

It would be great if you could pin it down exactly which because I don't know of any of those.

F-zero
13-03-10, 06:23
I downloaded quite a few retro podcasts, listened to them all and found they'd been discontinued.
Searched on google and found you guys.(i think eps2 had just been released)
I also told a couple of my friends and they're now regular listeners as well.

btw, i love the lenght of the show and wouldn't want it to be shorter.
Anyway, don't all mp3 players have bookmarking now?

retrogamefest
15-03-10, 02:23
I found you guys on iTunes searching for retro gaming podcasts.

Duke.Togo
15-03-10, 05:22
I had a liver transplant last year at the end of February. As you can imagine it is lenghthy recovery process, and you do quite a bit of laying around. I hadn't listened to many Podcasts, but I started doing some Googling for classic gaming. Like others here mentioned I found Retronauts, some others that were discontinued, and then stumbled upon this one. I have to say that the long shows were fantastic for me, and you guys really let your personalities shine through. I'm back to work and doing fantastic now, but still love to listen to the show while at work. Great job guys.

Troglodyte
15-03-10, 05:41
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I found Retro Gaming Roundup on the air.

In south eastern Pennsylvania born and raised
Playin' video games is how I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' rellaxin' all cool
And huntin' the wumpus while playin' M.U.L.E
When a couple of guys
Who were up to no good
Started a podcast that I understood
iTune'd in every month and my mom got scared
And said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air'

miner2049er
15-03-10, 09:46
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I found Retro Gaming Roundup on the air.

In south eastern Pennsylvania born and raised
Playin' video games is how I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' rellaxin' all cool
And huntin' the wumpus while playin' M.U.L.E
When a couple of guys
Who were up to no good
Started a podcast that I understood
iTune'd in every month and my mom got scared
And said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air'

Haha! Nice.

triverse
15-03-10, 04:03
I found you guys after reading on various forums (Racketboy and Atari Age for example) about this podcast that was over 5 hours long and released once a month. I knew about you guys for a good 3 months before taking the plunge and downloading an episode (it took me that long to get an MP3 player).

I am hooked now, I listen at work (my only real "brain shut down time" where I can focus on the podcast). You guys have a great podcast with all of the various segments (the one about the hooker in Blue Ball Arkansas had me laughing pretty hard).

Keep it up.

GivenTheOkieDoke
18-03-10, 05:35
I was searching something along the lines of "Is Mike Eruzione in any video games" or what not on google and found the site. Just fortunate I suppose that I was looking for both hockey and video games.

GameGavel
18-03-10, 05:41
I was searching something along the lines of "Is Mike Eruzione in any video games" or what not on google and found the site. Just fortunate I suppose that I was looking for both hockey and video games.

lol. You have GOT to be kidding :)

miner2049er
18-03-10, 09:41
Haha! That's great!

I guess our show titles might be important if they are being used as search terms then.

retroshaun
19-03-10, 04:36
Hmm, I really don't know! Did Socal mention it in a Game Gavel posting once? Either way I somehow migrated to teh show after being a long time listener to retro Gaming Radio. My only complaint: make the show even longer! :-)

Shinmaryuu
26-03-10, 03:38
A friend of mine from the YouTube game collecting community mentioned the first episode of the show to me back when it came out so have been listening since the start. Listened to every show since and promoted it to my friends as one of my favorite gaming shows.

readboy
26-03-10, 05:00
Used to listen to Retrogaming Radio, and got into RGR via MonroeWorld forums. So glad you all stepped in to fill the void. I see Shane has a new 'current' gaming show (Monroe Gamecast) and has interestingly copied your three host model.

vibri2001
27-03-10, 04:17
It would be great if you could pin it down exactly which because I don't know of any of those.
I don't really remember. It was the promo before the show started over a year ago. It might have been 'The Video Games Show' podcast. I have given up on that one but I might have been listening to it then.

ScottAwesome
02-04-10, 08:18
I went through a phase when I was trying to read as many books on classic video games/game history as possible, and during that time I started searching keywords on iTunes. I was lucky enough to discover this show early on (I think March of 2009?) and it was the first of the handful of podcasts that I now follow regularly. THANK YOU GUYS FOR THIS PODCAST!

njs
04-04-10, 02:20
I used to listen to Retrogaming Radio and DS Radio and picked up your show when those both disappeared (although DS Radio made a brief comeback).

Nick

Spyridon
07-05-10, 12:22
I've been listening since the beginning but haven't posted until now. I think I saw a post on KLOV that introduced me. Love the show but until recently I never made it through a full show. Now that I'm travelling quit a bit for work, I've been able to get through the shows on the plane.

miner2049er
07-05-10, 08:35
A captive audience is our favourite kind.

IG-88
08-05-10, 01:47
Fan of Retrogaming Radio, and got into RGR via MonroeWorld forums.

Exactly how I did it too....

YoungRetroGamer
15-07-10, 09:33
I heard of RGR from itunes search, and i couldn't believe the length of the podcast.

miner2049er
15-07-10, 11:24
Glad you found us.

What did you search for?

Retro?
Gaming?

BelfegorC4
16-07-10, 09:54
I found this podcast when I was searching for retro podcasts to fill up my mp3 player with =)
I was hooked after the first 5 minutes. Really good show, keep up the good work m8īs

teknohed
27-07-10, 06:24
Hardware Flashback and Chase the Checkwagon were always my favorite sections of the somewhat rambling Retro Gaming Radio shows. When I heard So Cal was starting his own show I was totally glad, it's basically all the stuff I liked about Retro Gaming Radio with UK's zany british antics mixed.

Slayer6000
21-08-10, 11:47
I was searching for retro gaming podcasts to fill my MP3 player with, found this site in a google search, i love it and im currently working my way throught the podcast archive. I love the format, the diferent sections, topics covered, the arguments each month when sorting out the Top tens, its just brilliant, Keep it up guys.

miner2049er
21-08-10, 06:10
Thanks Slayer, we intend to.

Where in the UK are you?

SRG
30-08-10, 02:07
I was searching iTunes for gaming podcasts, found a few retro ones, but this one was the only one that was still going strong! I have only been listening about 2 weeks and I am listening to them in order.... Just finished the Drunken MULE fest, yes I listened to the whole show!

miner2049er
30-08-10, 10:12
LOL.

The good news is we are planning another drunken gaming session soon. So you may be caught up by then.

RobMcRaf
08-09-10, 12:21
Heard Shane Monroe mention it on Dual Screen Radio or Wii Minute Radio. Looked it up and recognized the names because I had listened to Retrogaming Radio since it's beginning. Great show

GameGavel
08-09-10, 12:30
Heard Shane Monroe mention it on Dual Screen Radio or Wii Minute Radio. Looked it up and recognized the names because I had listened to Retrogaming Radio since it's beginning. Great show

Cool. Glad to have another listener here in the forums. Hope to see you around here often ;)

Slayer6000
26-09-10, 07:49
i am from the historic city of York, In the North of England (The best part)

miner2049er
26-09-10, 08:27
I've been to York a few times. I was there quite recently on a Stag Do. Went Karting and then into town for a Thai meal and drinks.

Ended up in a retro 80s type club with 80s music and a revolving dance floor. Forget the name of it but it was in the centre.

Slayer6000
27-09-10, 11:55
That would be 'REFLEX' you went to, quite nice in there, especially if you like the older music.

seanyboyuk
01-10-10, 10:24
I discovered RGR on iTunes. I did download a whole bunch of other podcasts but i tend to favour to listen to lenghty ones so this was just right up my street. I am almost up-to date! Going to start listening to ep20 next!

niftyifty
12-12-10, 11:33
Discovered RGR by accident when looking for something to fill the gap left by Retrogaming Radio in 2008. Was gob-smacked when I heard the first show - was everything I dreamed of and more :-)

Think I found you via a post in a thread somewhere on the Retrogaming Radio forum - clicked ont he link and the rest is history.

For those of us in the UK the Reflex bar chain is pretty legendary - if you want slightly cheesey, 80s themed nightclub with a spinning dance floor and giant mirrorball to dance to - that's the place to be. I can safely say that I have never danced like a loon on that spinning dancefloor while singing "Take on me" by a-ha at the top of my voice **cough cough** ;-)

Legendary.

miner2049er
12-12-10, 01:33
For those of us in the UK the Reflex bar chain is pretty legendary

I went in one of those in York on a Stag Do but I had no idea they were a chain.

It was a great night too.

niftyifty
12-12-10, 01:53
Nice one - I'm sure you didn't try out that spinning dance floor either ;-)

The one I went to is in Birmingham (my original hometown) - unfortunately nothing like that here in Lincoln...

Too many farmers and true blue Tories grrr...

miner2049er
12-12-10, 03:23
Of course I didn't dance on the revolving floor. Neither did I drink too much either.

Obviously nothing like that went on...................

Satoshi_Matrix
22-12-10, 06:12
I discovered the podcast by simply googling for "Retro Gaming Podcast". Now that Retronauts is kaput, I needed my retro gaming podcast fix, and I think I've found it. Only listened to a few episodes so far as they're so amazingly long (how awesome!!) but yeah. already a big fan of what you guys do.

GameGavel
22-12-10, 06:29
I discovered the podcast by simply googling for "Retro Gaming Podcast". Now that Retronauts is kaput, I needed my retro gaming podcast fix, and I think I've found it. Only listened to a few episodes so far as they're so amazingly long (how awesome!!) but yeah. already a big fan of what you guys do.

Welcome to the madness :DRM:

Aidy
13-01-11, 04:43
Hey, started listenin the podcast around May last year when I was search iTunes for podcasts related to the Sega Master System and found your episode with the top ten sms games. Been hooked ever since :-)

miner2049er
13-01-11, 08:48
Welcome, and did you agree with our excellent picks?

Aidy
14-01-11, 03:26
I actually didn't agree with most of them to be honest, but I still enjoyed listening to you all make your cases and coming up with an alternative top ten, which always seems to be the case and is why I love your top tens. I'm actually now in the process of going through your movie top ten, and watched War Games last night :-)

I used to love my SMS, and probably spent more time playing games on this than eny other system before or since. Yet you didn't mention any of the games that me my mates probably devoted the most time too. Such as:
-Enduro Racer
-Chase HQ
-Golden Axe
-Double Dragon (Way better than the NES version)
-The Ninja (possibly my all time favourite sms game)
-Spellcaster (spent hours with a load of us round the tv screen completing this weird hybrid adventure platformer)
-Dynamite Dux
-My Hero

onkelarie
22-01-11, 12:42
Goodday fellow retro gaming nerds/geeks/collectors/affiniciado's/fans/[enter your appropriate name here]. I'm new to the forum, but not so new to (retro) gaming with my age of 41;)

I (finally) discovered the Roundup podcast after quite a few months of missing a good show to listen to. I used to listen a lot to Shane R. Monroe's retrogaming radio and missed the rants and passionate interviews after he quit the show. No other podcast came even close to his podcast... Up until now.

Of course I already got a good taste of the retro gaming passion in Shane's old show, but man.... Does this podcast stand on its own! From this end, the Netherlands, I'd like to express my appreciation on the podcast and can't say nothing else than 'good work, and keep on producing the Roundup' ;)

miner2049er
22-01-11, 01:40
Thanks for the kind words, and rest assured, we intend to.

SubaruBrat
22-01-11, 02:04
It never gets old seeing new listeners from all over the civilized world. I love the netherlands, but know next to nothing about the classic gaming scene there. What is so cool about having this community as part of the show is we get to have that influence, can't wait to hear from you.

zxspectrum16k
24-01-11, 05:18
I discovered the show from a good old fashion iTunes search, I think used the keyword games/gaming. It was a must try for me as it had retro and gaming in results :) .
It did take a short while adapting to listening to a podcast in parts, and taking up to a full week to take in a full show (as most other podcast I listen to are much shorter). But a now enjoy the long podcast and the many & various topics it covers, its one I look forward to each month.
I have a 2 hrs commute each day, so it’s a life saver.
Keep them coming,

tcv
25-01-11, 02:50
Oh, gosh, I think it was features on one of the Retro RSS feeds I follow. It was the awesome Ted Dabney interview. Been listenin' since.

frootloop
04-02-11, 09:50
Hi all,

I first heard of the show on one of the 1up podcasts I was into at the time - I think it was either Retronauts or the Oddcast. They described your show as Retrogaming Roundtable...a bit of googling led me to your site and I've been hooked since!

I've spent the last few months catching up on your shows - started at ther first one and I've got three more left before I hit current ... I'm kinda sad about that as it means I'll actually have to excercise patience waiting for my next fix:P

Thanks for an awesome show!

Regards
Shafi

miner2049er
04-02-11, 01:28
I wonder if there will come a point where catching up on the old shows is so daunting, nobody does it.

It is a huge chunk of your life....

frootloop
04-02-11, 01:43
I hope not! The thing is most of your show is timeless. The majority of the content will be as relevant in 10 years as it us now. Besides, what else do us retrogamers have to fill the gap until your next show? As time goes on, the huge library of quality back content will just give us more opportunity to soften the blow of waiting for the most recent show to drop :)

GameGavel
04-02-11, 03:39
I hope not! The thing is most of your show is timeless. The majority of the content will be as relevant in 10 years as it us now. Besides, what else do us retrogamers have to fill the gap until your next show? As time goes on, the huge library of quality back content will just give us more opportunity to soften the blow of waiting for the most recent show to drop :)

Between shows you can check out http://www.retroarcaderadio.com :)

frootloop
04-02-11, 07:09
Thank SoCal, just checked out retroarcaderadio - awsomeness! Will be spending far too much bandwidth streaming from there in future :)

mcoster
12-02-11, 04:23
I just bought an Ipod on November 2010.

I always liked gaming and old stuffs, so I decided to search for a Retro show on Itunes.

RGR was one of the first hits. I started listening to on episode 24 (i think) and I could never let it go!

Since I started late on the show, I listen the to older ones until a new one is released (and damn, it is a long waiting time and it is worth it).

Keep the great job!

GameGavel
12-02-11, 07:35
Brazil! Another International listener. Welcome and glad you are enjoying the show. I hope you decide to continue hanging out in the forums.

I just bought an Ipod on November 2010.

I always liked gaming and old stuffs, so I decided to search for a Retro show on Itunes.

RGR was one of the first hits. I started listening to on episode 24 (i think) and I could never let it go!

Since I started late on the show, I listen the to older ones until a new one is released (and damn, it is a long waiting time and it is worth it).

Keep the great job!

RetroMagpieUK
18-03-11, 11:15
Stumbled across the retrogaming roundup podcasts while browsing online for some retro stuff, saw the link and had a listen, was so impressed, a real informative but hilarious listen. have been working my way through the back list of episodes.

Current fav bit was the NES top 10, great conversation, as one of the guy remarked there is many of us "retro hunters" that dont have many people to shoot the breeze with about retro stuff, so hearing three funny guys discuss our fav hobby is just great.

Funniest bit so far was at end of the DEC 2010 show when someone left there skype open and had a conversation midway through the news section, hilarious.

Keep up the fantastic work guys and as soon as pay day rolls round ill be making a donation.

miner2049er
19-03-11, 12:59
Glad you made it eventually LOL. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

RetroMagpieUK
19-03-11, 01:28
Im from a town called Brighton, on the soutch coast of England. what about you where ya from ? by the way how do I add a pic to my profile, had a look through the forum profile options but couldnt see where I add a pick?

miner2049er
19-03-11, 01:57
You add an Avatar using the "Settings" link at the top right and then "Edit Avatar".

I'm from right in between Liverpool and Manchester, in Lancashire. I went to Brighton on a Stag do a few years ago and we hit the arcade on the pier. They had a cool river rapids type machine where you had to physically row a boat down the river. Good fun after alcohol and curry.

NL-Mike
19-03-11, 10:58
The show came up on Google when I searched for 'retro gaming podcast' or something similar. At first I picked a couple of archived show with top tens that seemed interesting, but after listening to those I figured every episode will be interesting. In other words, I got hooked on the show immediately.

Bango Skank UK
23-03-11, 07:19
WTF where did you guys suddenly appear from..? I've been listening to retro podcasts for a couple of years, I'm on my 3rd playthrough of the Retronauts now (my job allows me to podcast 9 hours a day...) and I can't believe I never picked this one up before now - SHEESH. Seriously though this is the BEST damn show I've heard so keep it up..!

miner2049er
23-03-11, 08:39
Nice first post.

Welcome aboard.

SubaruBrat
23-03-11, 08:54
Thanks for the compliment man, spread the word so others come across it.

GameGavel
23-03-11, 10:39
We like Bango Skank. Thanks for the post we appreciate the kind words :)

Bango Skank UK
24-03-11, 01:15
Only thing is I'm hooked now and will run out of audio by the end of the week.

Any chance you guys can make the show daily..?

SubaruBrat
24-03-11, 02:56
Fuck I wish.

GameGavel
24-03-11, 04:09
Only thing is I'm hooked now and will run out of audio by the end of the week.

Any chance you guys can make the show daily..?

When did you start listening? Have you listened to our whole 2 years worth of shows?

Bango Skank UK
24-03-11, 08:40
When did you start listening? Have you listened to our whole 2 years worth of shows?

I have about 4 shows left - I went through to all the rest over the last month or so. I'm a painter working by myself I have a loooooot of time to listen - just loading up the iPod each day and putting it in between my other regulars :)

Chuck D. Head
05-05-11, 06:47
Cant quite remember, but I think I may have been turned on to the show by someone at my insomnia sufferers support group meeting or possibly on the Pacific Northwest Masochists Forum . Or maybe it was mentioned on AtariAge. Morgan

miner2049er
05-05-11, 07:38
Probably the Masochists did it.

Tepic
06-05-11, 02:33
I was searching iTunes for a retro podcast and RGR came up. I listened to an episode and didn't really like it :( The next month I downloaded the new one as there was nothing else worth listening to, and loved it.

I think the first episode I listened to just wasn't my bag. Now I listen every month.

miner2049er
06-05-11, 03:10
Which one didn't you like?

Tepic
06-05-11, 03:57
I can't remember off the top of my head. It would have been about a year ago now though, the same time I managed to get an iPhone.

I wait impatiently for them nowdays.

EDIT: Looking on iTunes it was probably 19. I had a quick listen, and can't think why I didn't like it now!

Chuck D. Head
06-05-11, 05:27
Hmmmm....maybe someone was going on and on about Grand Prix Legends for an hour? Just fockin' with you UK; although that was the first time I ever described a game review as "epic". Morgan

miner2049er
06-05-11, 06:34
19? Bad? We had 2 Craigslist ads that month!!!!!!!!

LOL.

Tepic
07-05-11, 12:30
I don't know what to say. I have had a bit of a listen in my down time today and it isn't bad!

It would have been one of the first casts I ever listened to, maybe I didn't have the time to spare. Who knows. Point is I think you guys are great now!

I've got iTunes to download all the shows and will spend the next year or two educating myself.

The last show instilled a new respect pinball. I have memories of the things in my granddads arcades taking up space in the 80s. Space a 9 year old thought would be better filled with space invaders et al! I have a couple of weeks off work now and plan to check out my local seafront for classic gaming! If I find anything other than gambling machines I'll let you know!

tcv
07-05-11, 04:15
I will admit that if I didn't have the current commute I have, I probably wouldn't get to listen as often as I do. That said, I always enjoy it. It probably took me a bit of time to get used to UK Derek.

Darkwood.killers
27-05-11, 11:54
I was listening to a UK based gaming podcast and found one of the presenters to be a little dramatic for a gaming podcast, at one point he went into an hour long, one sided conversation about his hair..... so i headed towards the retro side of gaming and found Retronaughts. . . . . . that didnt last long for me, once again i didnt like the presenters strange five year old in a sweet shop on speed approach to the subject and wanted some real advice and gaming knowledge. so i tuned into this podcast, the time was great as my journey to scotland was 10 hours in the car and i really enjoyed the Tech special from Scott. ive been listening ever since. i still shit my pants with excitment when Duke Nukem pops into the podcast. im a big Duke fan. "Talk to me booboo" Im still laughing now....

SubaruBrat
28-05-11, 01:40
That was a cool moment, we were interviewing Jon at MAGFEST and his wife called and he looked at us like "Is this cool?" and we were like Sure.

Darkwood.killers
01-06-11, 07:07
have you ever or would you consider filming some of the events/interviews or even podcasts for people whom cant for what ever reason get involved in the live recordings? i would have loved to watch the interview with Duke.

The Top Crusader
05-07-11, 04:22
I was caught up on all my regular podcasts one day and wanted something to listen to while I play video games... so I did some googling and came across the Retro Gaming Roundup. I've been listening through the backlog since then and am still a little over a year behind, but I'm really enjoying it.

Although I admit to being a little disheartened that none of the hosts realized Mario puts his fist up to hit blocks until March or April of last year...:SM

SubaruBrat
05-07-11, 04:29
Welcome aboard!

The Top Crusader
05-07-11, 04:45
Thanks! I look forward to eventually being caught up with the show. I always think of a neat news item to send in then realize someone else probably did so in the last year.

Nurmix
09-09-11, 05:19
I learned about RGR at CGE 2010...

...when I tripped a deaf guy in the hallways of the Tropicana Hotel and he dropped a spindle full of RGR CDs on the ground.

...and then he shit his pants.

...and then he ate it.

...and then he asked me if I had any more, because he was still hungry.

...and then he licked his lips and told me that Atari 2600 Beat 'Em & Eat 'Em was his favorite game of all time.

* DISCLAIMER: Except for the part about the tripping of the deaf guy, his dropping of a spindle of RGR CDs, his pants shitting and the followup shit eating, his request for more shit to eat, his lip licking (presumably at the thought of more shit to eat), and his pronouncement of his all time favorite game, all of the above is true.

(although I do feel pretty confident that Beat 'Em & Eat 'Em is actually his favorite game)

miner2049er
09-09-11, 08:17
Ha! Nice, but I think he is more of a Keystone Kapers kind of guy.

Nurmix
09-09-11, 08:42
Ha! Nice, but I think he is more of a Keystone Kapers kind of guy.

You make a good point. That's probably where he got his practice so he could nab those RGR discs.

I guess it must have really empowered him though, as he's gone and made an instructional video now... and shaved his receding hairline head ... and possibly lost his left arm - trying to steal something in the Middle East, perhaps?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mupdimQL_iw&feature=related

Lookin' good!

SubaruBrat
10-09-11, 04:33
Ten gallon hat!

kynrek
14-09-11, 12:57
I was looking for video game music to listen to while at work and found retro arcade radio then found rgr from there

gutek
05-12-11, 01:46
You guys were mentioned on a 1Up Podcast a year ago or so. That's where I heard of the podcast.

spinal
28-07-12, 08:22
I don't remember, maybe the show was mentioned on wii minute radio or dualscreen radio? I think I started listening at or near the beginning though. :)

Green Bert
30-07-12, 12:13
From another retro gaming podcast show I used to listen to - can't remember which one now..

BrightonRetro1980
23-10-12, 03:52
I first found out about RGR from watching some youtube vids of mike hunting round the swap meets and decided to check it out as had always been a huge fan of retro games.

As soon as I heard my first show i was sold, really funny and and hits all the right buttons for a retro fan.

I had just taken on some night security work and have to say these shows helped me so much coping with them.

The fact that the show is 5 hours ++ is the best part and hope it stays that way.

Awesome show guys.

Gavin,
Brighton UK.

GameGavel
23-10-12, 03:54
Thanks Gavin! Glad you are enjoying the show and that they keep you company on your job.
Hope you become a regular around here:E:

Blackzc
30-10-12, 03:47
I found the show around episode 2 or 3. At the time i didnt know the show was brand new. I listened to the RGradio in the beginning and just kind of forgot about the show after he stopped doing them. Looking for podcast a year or two later i pulled up monroes site and got to poking around and found you guys's show. I did leave for a while after UK's christmas whore carol or whatever it was. Still not sure why it pissed me off, i think i was going through some stuff. Anyhoo im back forever. You guys have no idea how much company you keep me while im working two jobs that requiring driving. Not to knock the other guys but the other game podcast sans all gen gamers are a bit sissyfied. And the long shows are perfect.

msx84
02-11-12, 10:32
My finding of RGroundUp was around episode 4.

RGradio was mostly the only podcast I was listening too, though there were a few others around the same time like Retronauts, (still going)
RetroforceGo!, Retro City (both now long gone) & Chatterbox Video Game Radio...does mostly modern games, but sometimes talks retro (still going)

Shane then stopped doing RGradio & moved on to do Dual Screen Radio with Chris Hentschel, (Nintendo DS podcast) awesome podcast, but all I really wanted was retro...that was my passion & as for the other podcasts mentioned...good as they were, didn't really do it for me
& the shows were short, some being 15 mins long, while others just under an hour :(

In the end I just kind've lost intrest & stopped listening to them.

Then 4 months later, (episode 4) being really bored with nothing to listen too, started looking again for any podcasts that might be off intrest to me & by chance found RGroundup & immediately recognized Scott & SoCal Mike from RGradio (Hardware Flashback & Chasing the ChuckWagon) & a new host...adding a british twist to the show was UK Mike...being british myself :) plus the long shows, it was perfect for me :)

You guys have no idea how much company you keep me while living on a retro-less Island (Maderia) retro-less...is that even a word? :) Seriously, nothing retro here & I look forward to your show every month.

I've already mentioned somewhere here on the forums, it was great meeting Scott & UK Mike at Play Expo in Manchester shame Socal couldn't make it, but such is life :) hopefully next year, will you guys be going again next year? it would be awesome to meet up again - minus the village idiot that was standing besides me :)

BTW! thanks for the photo :)

SubaruBrat
02-11-12, 11:18
It is likely that we will attend again, it was a top notch expo.

BadBurger
07-01-13, 04:42
I was combing the 'net for a Phoenix cocktail and came upon Game Gavel. After a slight bout of disappointment of not finding what I was looking for (which was quickly dissipated by the selection, prices and obvious knowledge of all things Atari 2600 plus much more) I noticed there were other links. So I downloaded the latest Podcast, which I believe was Number 27 -"Ivagination", and tuned into Retro Arcade Radio... and it was nothing but awesome retro-gaming goodness.
Great info, hilarious banter, entertaining reviews, commercial and musical flashback nirvana, all in one nexus of sites. Keep up the great work and congrats on 7,000 + "Likes" on Facebook for Game Gavel!

Jon Osorio
15-02-13, 12:15
You guys where mentioned on retronaughts and so I looked you guys up.

focusrs
15-02-13, 12:28
It was written on a bathroom wall, so had to check it out :)

GenesisDoes
20-02-13, 05:13
So Cal Mike was on my main gaming podcast All Gen Gamers, and from then I had to check it out!

itsreallykevin
24-02-13, 01:20
I was searching for video game podcasts and stumbled upon RGR. I haven't regretted choosing this among the hundreds of results!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

SubaruBrat
24-02-13, 02:54
Don't we come up first in a search for classic or retro gaming podcasts?

lank.g01
24-02-13, 05:44
Just searched retro gaming in itunes, only had missed the first three episodes, been addicted ever since.:)

nightmare78
26-04-13, 02:39
I joined when you first came on looking for a replacement for Shane R Monroe's Retrogaming Radio (which I heard SoCal doing Chasing the Chuckwagon) and been hooked ever since. However due to a computer malfunction and having to take a break I lost the first 9 episodes as I had to redownload the episodes. This is a great show and hope it continues with the retro goodness.

All Your Base
30-04-13, 05:31
It came along with a family connection so I had no excuse not to find it.

Noblesse Oblige

GenesisDoes
06-05-13, 05:36
When So Cal Mike was on All Gen Gamers, my first gaming podcast. Scott and UK need to be on there too!

Leathco
02-04-14, 10:28
Had to take a bit of a siesta, but I'm back! I had to devote a lot of time to learning CSS and phpbb for the relaunch of my site, but it's now good to go and I should be to go again!

TripHamer
11-11-15, 07:47
Don't exactly remember the details but I was a member of the Monroeworld fourms along with Miner, Subaru and Socal when it began or was announced there during a hiatus of Shane's Show or something like that. :)

Piff Merkin
24-01-16, 07:57
Three years ago I was looking on I-tunes for a retro video game podcast and then I stumbled upon the Granddaddy of them all.

bjones371
26-01-16, 01:54
UK Mike is my ex-boss.

Nuff said.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

All Your Base
26-01-16, 06:02
UK Mike is my ex-boss.

He's not the boss of me!

I did break his arm though.

Oh, and I once shot him as well.

Mechakaioken
15-08-16, 12:34
in 2013 I was looking for a good retro podcast to listen to on my 1 hr drive to and from work and found this amazing show. I can listen to old shows over and over and I love it!

miner2049er
15-08-16, 10:47
in 2013 I was looking for a good retro podcast to listen to on my 1 hr drive to and from work and found this amazing show. I can listen to old shows over and over and I love it!

Thansk for the kind words.

SubaruBrat
17-08-16, 02:02
Doubly so.

Blackzc
05-06-18, 02:13
Dual Screen radio is how i found this podcast. Many moons ago.

You know the guy.

And as per the request made in the top 100 games of all time episode, im still listening. And have been since like ep 2. It is a dream of mine to stay the night at Scotts house, get toasted drunk, play pinball, hit on his wife, get kicked out of said house at gunpoint and regret the whole thing for the rest of my life. :DKB:DKB

miner2049er
05-06-18, 09:47
Dual Screen radio is how i found this podcast. Many moons ago.

You know the guy.

Yeah.

And as per the request made in the top 100 games of all time episode, im still listening.

I'd totally forgotten about that. Hah!

It is a dream of mine to stay the night at Scotts house, get toasted drunk, play pinball, hit on his wife, get kicked out of said house at gunpoint and regret the whole thing for the rest of my life. :DKB:DKB

A dream shared by many and realised by a select few.