PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Move thoughts

Shinmaryuu
11-03-10, 02:24
I don't know about anyone else but watching the GDC live video of this in action set of my gamer rage lol. I posted on twitter that "I guess the heart and soul of the wii is $100 because it's the only thing Sony didn't steal."

Got a pretty good feeling this one is going to fail as bad as the original eyetoy. You can't just copy what someone else has done to be a success. I honestly think Microsoft has a better chance with Natal in that it's a much more innovative technology and is based around their years of research in the Microsoft labs when it comes to human interaction with a computer.

Will have to see but so far i really think Sony is dropping the ball on this one pretty bad and will really have to climb hard to earn back my support.

What are your thoughts on this whole Playstation Move thing?

Dhalamar
11-03-10, 08:16
I don't know about anyone else but watching the GDC live video of this in action set of my gamer rage lol. I posted on twitter that "I guess the heart and soul of the wii is $100 because it's the only thing Sony didn't steal."

Got a pretty good feeling this one is going to fail as bad as the original eyetoy. You can't just copy what someone else has done to be a success. I honestly think Microsoft has a better chance with Natal in that it's a much more innovative technology and is based around their years of research in the Microsoft labs when it comes to human interaction with a computer.

Will have to see but so far i really think Sony is dropping the ball on this one pretty bad and will really have to climb hard to earn back my support.

What are your thoughts on this whole Playstation Move thing?

I don't use the Wii motion controls unless I absolutely HAVE to (game review, something like that). They're KABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM!ing worthless, pointless and have no business being on a GAMING system. An option? Sure. But if your game REQUIRES me to move me arm around like a jackass, I won't play it.

And the same thing with Sony.

Alacrity_M
11-03-10, 08:51
It seems like a hokey ripoff. Is it just me, or has there been a lot of blatant idea "borrowing" from developers this generation?

360 has achievements...Sony responds with trophies...
Wii has motion control...Sony responds with motion control...

GameGavel
11-03-10, 10:15
Here is a video for those that haven't seen in. Ya, rip off for sure.

http://www.gamepro.com/video/news/138403/playstation-move-gdc-highlights/

bill_loguidice
11-03-10, 10:56
It should be more accurate because of the technology it's using (camera tracking a light source in addition to whatever is in the wand and secondary controller), but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to offer a particularly viable or compelling experience. It's an obvious statement, but the software needs to be there for anyone to get excited by it, and software that genuinely requires it, not software that is jury rigged to work with it.

The jury is still out on Natal too, obviously, but I tend to agree the possibilities with that seem "fresher", if that makes sense.

My heart lies in traditional control schemes, though when implemented properly and in the necessary context, there's nothing wrong with alternatives.

Duke.Togo
11-03-10, 11:26
I have absolutely zero interest. I already have a Wii, and I accept it's control style because that is at the heart of it's experience. The more traditional games on Wii that I have played (like No More Heroes 1 & 2) wear my arms out, and I think they just aren't made for it. I much prefer that type of gaming on a traditional game pad where I can play for long periods without fatigue. Interseting tech demo's, but not much else.

I see this and Natal as the Wii's competitors way to sell kiddy games and excercise software to Moms.

Alacrity_M
12-03-10, 01:10
Also, I always have to wonder how these things are a "global unveiling," yet there are plenty of people in the promo ads, and you can't tell me that one of those kids didn't blab to their buddies at school about Sony's new Wiimote with a lightbulb on top.

All things considered, I don't have a Wii, but I do have a ps3, and would consider getting this if it turns out to be well-made (accurate) and has fun games with it.

Demon's Souls 2 with a Move controller, anyone?

GivenTheOkieDoke
18-03-10, 05:22
Definite rip off, but I dont know I really dont plan on ever getting a Wii and to be quite honest some of the Wii controls were a rip off of the XaviX system. The one thing I like more about Move over XBox's jobby is the fact you actually have something in your hands. To me it just seems silly trying to pretend that "THIS" (Baseball Bat, Sword, ECT.) is in you hands, were as the PS3 at least you have something. But to be honest for the time being this whole motion technology dosent intrest me. I think even with these new ones people are going to grow tired of all the motion controls.

As far as how good it will sell, well I see the PS3 Move being alot more affordiable than XBox's thing. One thing Sony is good at is marketing there new products. They bundled there bluethooth with Socom Confrontation for $60 and it sold well. Now they announced that Socom 4 is to be released sometime this fall and its Move compatiable, so I could see them doing another afforidable bundle with these, or something similar.

All in all I suppose for the people that dont own a Wii this could be a good deal.

"Is it just me, or has there been a lot of blatant idea "borrowing" from developers this generation?"

It is what is. Its nothing new, game companies have been taking ideas from one another the whole time. You cant fault sony or any other companies for trying to advance there system and make it more fun and more accesiable to all types of gamers.

psychogorilla
08-04-10, 09:09
For me, it's not so much about whether or not I think it's a ripoff (I do), but about just how many of these aspects of modern play just flat out annoy me. I can't hardly ever get into the whole motion control thing, seeing as how it's often used for stuff like virtual tennis or bowling, when I can go outside and play tennis or go bowling with much better graphics and more involved play control. The achievement stuff is probably even less appealing to me, if that's possible. It almost feels as if the direct head-to-head competition stuff which I loved in the arcade era is being replaced with who can collect more stupid shit.

Cynicaster
04-12-10, 12:10
Nintendo used the Wii to expand their business into demographics that traditionally never gave a shart about video games. Divorced soccer moms, grandparents, and the like. I have no interest in the system myself, but from a business perspective, it has been successful.

The fact that Sony sees the potential to compete in those previously untapped markets and decides to give it a try shouldn't be a surprise to anybody.

It's just like any other business. Your competitors innovate, you watch them rake in the dollars, and you imitate in hopes of getting a piece of that pie. That's just the way the ball bounces.

Duke.Togo
04-12-10, 05:05
Actually just came back from a buddies house and he had the Move. It was ok, and it played as it should. I just really didn't enjoy it much. I wouldn't mind trying Heavy Rain or RE5 on it though.

seanyboyuk
04-12-10, 07:43
After owning a wii i wont get the move. Theres nothing special about it, its just another way for Sony to make extra cash. Sony need to do a first of a kind device for their next device and not follow others. If i did want the move i would have to re arrange my bedroom which is almost impossible as you have to be some distance away for it to work correctly. It just feels like a wii add on thats it, none of the games are anything new either. Save your cash my bets. If you want a decent motion control system get a wii or just leave it alone and save.