PDA

View Full Version : Intro and Thrift store fun

Sockpuppet999
04-03-10, 04:04
Hey everyone, though I would start my first post out with a cool thrift store find I had. My names Jim and Im from Cincinnati, OH. Ive been listening to the show from the first episode and love the show.

Ok so just for some background info on the Cincy thrift stores, they suck. Usually they dont have very much past the sports games for the genesis, but I keep going and find something every now and then. Most of the time if I see something its priced soooooo wrong its not funny. For example I came upon a dreamcast last summer, no cords, no controllers just the console and it was quite nasty. Priced at....are you ready......$55. I just laughed and walked out. It has become quite clear to me that the local thrifts have no clue on pricing anything video game related. So on to my story.

This past week I ventured out to hit 3 or 4 stores since my x-wife had the kids for the day. The first thrift I hit, ended up being the last as I grabbed enough to keep me busy the rest of the day.

So I walk into this store which is notorious for having nothing game related. The only reason I stopped was it was close. I walk to the back where they keep the electronics and the first thing I spot is a box with Commodore on the side. Being a hugh commodore fan I was quite interested. Turns out it was a 1700 ram expansion, in box with all instructions and disks. I have seen these on eb$y go for $70-100. Price tag...$8, so right there im like ok dont really need one but I can resell it and gets some stuff I do want.

I continue down the row and see a Original gameboy carrying case. The one that looks like a big gameboy. I see a price of $25 on it. My first thought is, I could see them pricing a carrying case at $25. Nope open it up and find an original gameboy in perfect condition, 2 link cables and manuals. Plus 16 games with there manuals. Ill list the games at the end of the post. So big time score there as I think I only had one of the games already. At this point im thinking time to leave. As im walking out of the area I see a box on a table for sale. On the top it says Nintendo Entertainment System and games $20. My old nes had stopped working and I hadnt had a chance to replace it so I grab the box and open it. I realize there is much more there then just the nes and games in it. So I just grab it all and head to the checkout. The checkout guy looks over everything and you can see he must have wanted to grab this stuff when he got off work, lol.

So I get all this stuff home and start to go through it. Here is what I scored in the NES box and gameboy box.

NES Box

NES System and all cables, works great looks new.
2 contollers and a light gun.
7 games
Festers Quest
Knight Rider
Mario Bros/Duck Hunt
Sky Shark
Stealth
Tetris
Silent Service.

In the bottom of the box I find

Colecovision system, all cables.
2 controllers
Expansion module 1 for Atari 2600 games

In the Gameboy case I found

Gameboy System
2 Link Cables
Manuals
16 games

Super Mario Land
Wheel of Fortune
Tetris X2
Personnel Organizer
Kirbys Dreamland
Alleyway
Yoshi X2
Quarth
Qix
Baseball X2
Flipull
Monopoly
Ren and Stimpy Space Cadet Adventures

Plus manuals for a couple of the games.

This had to be one of the best hauls for me ever.

Tell me what you all think and I look forward to interacting with everyone.

Thanks

Jim
AKA Sockpuppet999

GameGavel
04-03-10, 04:51
That is a sweet score. It's funny how thrifts that normally don't have things can sometimes be a treasuretrove. I have been adding to my Game Boy collection too. I have about 20-30 games for the original GB. It's a fun system to collect for. And there have been a few sellers unloading lots of GB games cheap on GameGavel so I have been picking quite a few up there too.

Glad to have you in the forums and glad you are enjoying the show. We are recording our Top-10 for the March podcast on Friday - Top 10 NES Games. Maybe some of those you scored will be in there :)

Duke.Togo
04-03-10, 05:28
Now that is a fantastic score from a thrift. Here in Indiana the thrift scene is usually similar to there, not a lot and badly priced. I've found a bit sometimes, but never hit a big load at once like that. Congrats!

Edwards80
04-03-10, 11:19
What a find!

The Charity(thrift) shops in the UK rarely have hardware. I still drag the missus in for a look though when we go shopping. You just get a small selection of PC and PS2 games usually.

That said, I have been tipped off that there is a boxed spectrum of some sort at a charity shop in a town I'm visiting in a week or so :) Fingers crossed.

readboy
04-03-10, 03:12
That is a sweet find. Here in deepest Dorset (UK) the charity shops usually stock overpriced common games and very rarely hardware, but the car boot sales occasionally yield some real treasure.

janken_the_great
04-03-10, 04:22
Yeah, awesome find. The thrifts I frequent that don't have games in sight, usually have employees that are hoarding them. There is one particular store that I will only talk to the manager because the employees lie about "Oh this needs tested" and other things so they can get the items cheap. It's funny because it's a long drive for me to get there and I almost always need to use the restroom. Nearby the restroom theres a bookcase with usually 20-50 games and 5-10 systems which are all out of sight to the normal thrift-goer. "Ahem can I speak to the manager please" lol

Anyway, welcome to the site. Hope your thrift finds continue to be good :MM

Edwards80
04-03-10, 04:48
There are some massive Charity shops about that occasionally have a stack of old hardware tucked away somewhere. I got 2 Amstrad CPC 464's for 5 after I asked if one had anything.

As for car boots, they usually are pretty good. Might just be my bad luck, but I have had a couple of run ins with Gypsies, erm . . . . . "Travellers" who can get aggressive over gaming hardware/software.

One just moaned at me for buying a box of things that he must have had his eye on, another threatened me for a dreamcast/game bundle I had bought (about 10mins previously I might add!)

Don't want to tar them all with the same brush mind you! Just seen a few incidents that made me weary. Doesn't put me off though. I narrowly missed out on a Vectrex a couple of years ago. Hope to make up for that one.

SubaruBrat
05-03-10, 01:05
One just moaned at me for buying a box of things that he must have had his eye on, another threatened me for a dreamcast/game bundle I had bought (about 10mins previously I might add!)

One thing I like for sure about good ole America, having that .45 on your hip makes moments like that a little less worrisome.

readboy
05-03-10, 12:46
You're not wrong there, in the UK some homeowners in less than desirable areas have to put up with their houses and cars being stoned, they endure constant verbal abuse from a so called underclass of workshy scroungers. Unfortunately these assailents have more rights than they do. There not even convicted when there is video evidence. So the law abiding live in terror whilst the crims get away with it. I hate living in the UK sometimes. And just to add insult to injury, most of these people are funded by my taxes and when they breed they're given even more money. We will be overrun with them soon.

RedWolfJC
05-03-10, 06:38
One thing I like for sure about good ole America, having that .45 on your hip makes moments like that a little less worrisome.
Do you have open carry in Virginia? I wish we had that here, but knowing me, I'd forget I was carrying and walk into someplace where it wasn't considered "appropriate"...

You're not wrong there, in the UK some homeowners in less than desirable areas have to put up with their houses and cars being stoned, they endure constant verbal abuse from a so called underclass of workshy scroungers. Unfortunately these assailents have more rights than they do. There not even convicted when there is video evidence. So the law abiding live in terror whilst the crims get away with it. I hate living in the UK sometimes. And just to add insult to injury, most of these people are funded by my taxes and when they breed they're given even more money. We will be overrun with them soon.
Sounds a lot like some parts of the U.S. to be perfectly honest...

Back on topic, I'm still waiting for that awesome thrift store find... Goodwill sells most of their electronics online now (which pretty much kills any chance of finding a good deal): http://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings/listbycat.asp?catid=7

Duke.Togo
05-03-10, 11:02
I check out Goodwill online and still come across some ok deals sometimes. Got my NES Miracle Piano Teaching System off there. I almost had a Mata Hari pinball one time but got beat at the last minute.

I think only certain donation centers feed the online store though. My local store doesn't seem to ship things out.

Sockpuppet999
05-03-10, 11:43
Do you have open carry in Virginia? I wish we had that here, but knowing me, I'd forget I was carrying and walk into someplace where it wasn't considered "appropriate"...

Sounds a lot like some parts of the U.S. to be perfectly honest...

Back on topic, I'm still waiting for that awesome thrift store find... Goodwill sells most of their electronics online now (which pretty much kills any chance of finding a good deal): http://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings/listbycat.asp?catid=7

Oh yeah I saw that about goodwill and selling stuff online. Most of the thrifts around here are goodwill. You could really tell when they started putting stuff online, things dried up real quick. I think that goes against the whole reason to have an actual store to go into. If you want to do that then just sell all the junk online and be done with the stores.

F-zero
07-03-10, 04:11
Good find, i troll the car boot sales over here (UK) and never find anything decent at all.
I still try though.
Welcome to the forums btw.

Sockpuppet999
07-03-10, 04:17
Good find, i troll the car boot sales over here (UK) and never find anything decent at all.
I still try though.
Welcome to the forums btw.

Thanks, Im looking forward to the weather warming up here so I can start hitting some of the flea markets. They can sometimes produce some things, but not often