PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft is cancelling live support for the original Xbox come mid April.

Dhalamar
26-02-10, 12:48
So ... yeah ... if you're one of the guys who still wastes time playing Halo 2 or something on Live ... pretty soon that's not going to be an option. heh

Though I would imagine you can still play it with tunneling software or something on the PC (that's how people play the Xbox version of Halo 1 online).

nathanallan
28-02-10, 10:26
Since I'm just now getting into Halo, I'll want to get some tunneling software and maybe run my own server. Maybe; not a server you can get to through the net or anything, jsut something on a LAN.

Dhalamar
28-02-10, 06:06
The original Halo has system link support ... which is basically a LAN.

Other than that, I don't know. I never got into the whole Halo craze. I just see it as an excruciatingly slow paced mess of a game. And marked the beginning of the end for fast paced fun shooters.

leathco
28-02-10, 07:06
Amazed it's still running this far, considering how fast the original xbox got dumped after the 360 release. Nintendo did the same thing to the gamecube after the wii released, but at least gave us twilight princess. On the other hand, I STILL see new ps2 titles (not major releases, but still new games for it).

Dhalamar
28-02-10, 07:45
Amazed it's still running this far, considering how fast the original xbox got dumped after the 360 release. Nintendo did the same thing to the gamecube after the wii released, but at least gave us twilight princess. On the other hand, I STILL see new ps2 titles (not major releases, but still new games for it).

The original Xbox console got cancelled purely because of the hard drive. It just cost them too much money to make, so they dumped it and put in shoddy backwards compatibility for the old games on the 360. But one thing's for sure, the original Xbox is dirt cheap and becomes very VERY useful when modded. :)

The Gamecube pretty much got cancelled because the Wii as full backwards compatibility ... mainly because the Wii hardware isn't THAT much more different than the Gamecube. Still annoys me when people try to call the Wii a "current" generation system.

The Playstation 2 is still surviving mainly because, out of the previous generation consoles, it's STILL a viable gaming machine. And because of it's price, the AWESOME library (Okami anyone?), it has PS1 compatibility thereby making the old PS1 systems pretty much worthless.

And people still, for whatever reason, buy the hell out of the Wii ... which isn't THAT much more powerful than the PS2. It's basically a SLIGHTLY more powerful Gamecube with a gimmick and about 20 horrible games for every one good one. And that also makes the PS2 look great by comparison. "What, I don't have to wave my arms around like an idiot, I get ACTUAL GAMES and it's cheaper? Where do I get in line?"

If the WiiCube didn't have it's ridiculous motion control gimmick it probably would have died on release. And we'd probably be seeing even more PS2 games. lol

JestersChef83
05-03-10, 07:20
So ... yeah ... if you're one of the guys who still wastes time playing Halo 2 or something on Live ... pretty soon that's not going to be an option. heh

Though I would imagine you can still play it with tunneling software or something on the PC (that's how people play the Xbox version of Halo 1 online).

For all the Halo Fanboys (and girls?) out there, Bungie is making up for the dropping of legacy XBox Live Support (including H2) by giving those dedicated H2 gamers access to the new Halo: Reach Beta that drops 5/3. ODST owners will have access by default. Youtube clip of gameplay trailer below.

Lover or hater of the Halo franchise, Reach will pretty much be the new flagship multiplayer FPS for 360. :HO

http://www.haloreachbeta.com/
http://www.bungie.net/Projects/Reach/default.aspx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oIIGwmEpRs

Dhalamar
06-03-10, 09:53
Aside from the Unreal Tournament series of first person shooters from it's inception (along with the Quake series) ... first person shooters have done nothing but bore me to death.

I don't care about realism in a GAME. i don't want to hide behind cover like a KABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM! to wait for my health to regenerate, unless some 12 year old finds you and pumps a few bullets in you to say "ME AM GAWTS KILLZ" ...

i wanna charge through a motherKABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM!er at some INSANE pace that is BEYONG realism with a rocket launcher, blow them apart and run through the splatter of guts and blood. i want to be able to run headlong into the middle of a firefight with a pea shooter, kill a motherKABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM!er, collect his gun and get more kills.

THAT is fun. Halo, Call of Duty, even Battlefield ... the pace is slowed down, the gunplay is shit ... the last good Battlefield game i played was 1942 ... first person shooters are getting insultingly boring and typical.

vibri2001
06-03-10, 02:57
Well, if they're not able to help me with my PlayCable connectivity issues then good riddance.