PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Steam?

Dhalamar
24-02-10, 11:53
I was just wondering who in here uses Steam and what games you have for it. Classic or otherwise since they had that bigass Thanksgiving sale a while back where most of the games on it were going for 10 bucks or less.

I've got 118 games apparently, a shitload of them older games (Commander Keen collection is in there as well as all the Quake games until Quake 3 for example).

Here's the account with the list of games :http://steamcommunity.com/id/dhalamar/games

Go ahead and add me if you want to if you can put up my drunken Friday/Saturday night rants from time to time. :P

triverse
13-04-10, 06:50
I use Steam but don't have any games for it. lol I use it for the demos really. That and finding out the system specs of games that I am interested in checking out (then finding out that they require A LOT more than my computer is capable of).

vibri2001
14-04-10, 01:51
I don't use steam or even an iron. My wife buys me wrinkle free permanent press dress shirts.

miner2049er
14-04-10, 09:12
Hmmmmmmm

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt213/SvenvW/Fun%20stuff/badum-tish.jpg

Dhalamar
15-04-10, 06:48
I use Steam but don't have any games for it. lol I use it for the demos really. That and finding out the system specs of games that I am interested in checking out (then finding out that they require A LOT more than my computer is capable of).

That's what I thought with Dark Void Zero. The system requirements for that game are friggin' INSANE considering it's a 2D NES style game.

I went ahead and snagged it anyway because I like those style of games, and the son of a gun runs beautifully on my NETBOOK of all things, despite the system requirements saying it shouldn't run at all.

But on my Athlon XP 2600+ system with a gig of RAM and an old Geforce 4 MX graphics card it doesn't even TRY to run. Probably because of the graphics card, but still.

I generally only buy stuff if it's dirt cheap on sale or something ... with the exception of Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, I bought those both in Wal-Mart full price, and they automatically put themselves on Steam so I don't have to bother with the discs anymore unless I want to install the game without having to wait on multi-gigabyte downloads.

triverse
15-04-10, 09:25
I think Steam is a great idea (kind of like the App store for PC's). Just wish they were able to get more games up there for older systems that doesn't require ungodly system specs.

Dhalamar
15-04-10, 01:56
I think Steam is a great idea (kind of like the App store for PC's). Just wish they were able to get more games up there for older systems that doesn't require ungodly system specs.

Hell, most of the games I've own on there will run on next to nothing.

Going through my list of what runs on the desktop with the pathetic Geforce 4 MX graphics and my netbook ....

The "Shooter" games (Alien Shooter, Zombie Shooter)
Altitude
All of the Battlefield games except for Bad Company 2 ... and MAYBE Battlefield 2
Bob Came in Pieces
Bullet Candy
Any of the Call of Duty games before CoD4
Red Faction 1 and 2 (which I don't actually own on Steam. Yet.)
Chains
Any of the Counter-Strike games before the Source port
Dark Void Zero
Day of Defeat (except Source)
Deathmatch Classic
ANY of the Lucasarts games
ANY of the games in the "id Super Pack", which has all the DooMs before DooM 3, all the Quake games before Enemy Territory, Wolfenstein 3D and Spear of Destiny, Heretic/Hexen and has the Commander Keen Complete Pack
Foreign Legion : Buckets of Blood runs a little slow on both machines but is perfectly playable and pretty cool
Galcon Fusion
Gumboy Crazy Adventures and Crazy Features
Half-Life
Lava Mortus
Max Payne 1 and 2
Obulis
Oddworld Abe's Odysee and Abe's Exodus
Penguin Arena
Plants Vs Zombies
QuantZ
Trials 2
Ricochet
The RIP Trilogy
Sniper Elite doesn't run on either of these machines, but the requirements are still pretty damn low.
Star Wars Dark Forces
All the Jedi Knight games
Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic is pretty fuckin' ugly but still runs (remember what I'm running here as well)
Tank Universal
Team Fortress Classic
Torchlight
Vigil Blood Bitterness
ALL the X-COM games
Unreal Gold and Unreal Tournament ... and if I had only a SLIGHTLY better video card in my desktop you could count in Unreal Tournament 2004
Alien Vs Predator 2001 Classic
And on that note, if I had just a little more RAM and a moderately more powerful video card (maybe a Geforce 5 or 6 series) I could easily run most of the Source engine games.

And I see Steam as being more like Xbox Live or PSN for PCs (and there's a Mac version of Steam as well) than an "app store" personally.

But yeah, the new games do have ungodly system specs, but there are a shitload of older games on there as well, as well as indie games that don't have monstrous requirements.

triverse
15-04-10, 08:12
Wow, thanks for the list. I already own several of those FPS titles (Half Life and Unreal Tournament standing out to me) but they were bought in store, not on Steam.

We have a similar system, at least graphics card wise, I have an MX400 or 4400 or whatever it is called and it works fine for now though, there are a ton of games that don't work. I have a P4 2.8 gig processor, looking to scrap this whole thing someday and get a newer system.

I was just saying Steam was like the App Store since that is all I have any experience with really. I don't have any consoles newer than the Dreamcast and my PSP is broken (cracked the LCD) been like that since before I even thought of accessing the PSN on it.

Torchlight, OMG, that is a time drainer. lol Love it though. Awesome game.

Dhalamar
16-04-10, 04:50
Wow, thanks for the list. I already own several of those FPS titles (Half Life and Unreal Tournament standing out to me) but they were bought in store, not on Steam.

We have a similar system, at least graphics card wise, I have an MX400 or 4400 or whatever it is called and it works fine for now though, there are a ton of games that don't work. I have a P4 2.8 gig processor, looking to scrap this whole thing someday and get a newer system.

I was just saying Steam was like the App Store since that is all I have any experience with really. I don't have any consoles newer than the Dreamcast and my PSP is broken (cracked the LCD) been like that since before I even thought of accessing the PSN on it.

Torchlight, OMG, that is a time drainer. lol Love it though. Awesome game.

Yeah, there are a few games on that list I already own (I still have my original CD for Unreal Tournament 1 and 3). But they had the Unreal Deal Pack or whatever the hell it is they call it on sale on day for 12 bucks. Got the id Super Pack with all those id Software games for, like, 30 bucks. That's the reason I got 90% of the games on that list is because they were on sale or something or they're just cheap to begin with. Especially on that Black Friday style sale they had going on. Got a bunch of stuff for somewhere in the area of 5 bucks apiece. lol

As far as hardware for your computer, you get something like a Geforce 5700LE or 6600GT for probably around 20 or 30 bucks assuming you've got an AGP slot in there. Hell, I got a PCIe 256mb Geforce 8600GT for 25 bucks a couple of years ago for my computer upstairs. That with 2 more gigs of RAM and it can run just about anything I throw at it. And it was just initially a $500 cheapie Dell.

Recently picked up a 22" widescreen flat panel monitor for it at a yard sale of all places for 70 bucks. Put that on the "good" computer and stuck the old 17" on my shitty one downstairs. :P

As far as newer consoles go, the ONLY reason I even HAVE an Xbox 360 is because one of my friends sold me one cheap as hell in October of '08 ... and the goddamn thing was red ringed when I GOT it. It was still under warranty from Microsoft, so sent it in for free, got it back, and I had me a 20GB Xbox 360 with Need for Speed : Most Wanted, Madden '07, 3 controllers and a year of Xbox Live for 200 bucks. I just gave him somethin' like 20 or 40 bucks a week until it was paid off. :P Of course, now I've got an Elite ... kind of my Christmas present to me.

My PS2 was a weird story. I went to this chick's house who was selling a Gamecube with the GBA player. I gave her 10 for the GBA player alone, and this dude across the street sold me a slimline PS2 for 15 bucks with 3 or 4 games.

Those worthless $200 360 Arcade units with the pathetic 512MB of space are a lot easier to swallow nowadays as well in the fact that there was an update to the 360 system itself recently that allows you to use thumb drives and external hard drives and whatnot as 360 hard drives and memory cards. It has a 16GB limit, but with 2 USB ports in the front of that thing you can easily stick 2 flash drives on there and have a super cheap way of getting 32GB of space on that sucker.

And I THINK (I don't know if it's still like this) when you connect to Steam with an Nvidia or ATI graphics card (not sure how recent these cards need to be. It worked when I hooked up to my computer upstairs and this was when I had a 128MB 6600 GT) they just flat out give you a bunch of Valve games like Half-Life Episode 2 and stuff. :P

triverse
17-04-10, 01:51
I am stuck with a PCI, that is the problem. I am going to scrap this computer one day and get something better.

GivenTheOkieDoke
08-05-10, 01:22
Just downloaded it yesterday. It looks and fells nice. Snagged up a few demos. Also going to grab Civilization IV for the nice $10 price point. But my PC cant handle much more that that. I think me + steam = bad idea. I have a problem holding off on buying games when there right there and so readily available.

All in all I want to use it for getting Civ V and the Left For Dead's once my PC is upgraded.

Dhalamar
08-05-10, 01:59
Just downloaded it yesterday. It looks and fells nice. Snagged up a few demos. Also going to grab Civilization IV for the nice $10 price point. But my PC cant handle much more that that. I think me + steam = bad idea. I have a problem holding off on buying games when there right there and so readily available.

All in all I want to use it for getting Civ V and the Left For Dead's once my PC is upgraded.

hehe Yeah, my "good" desktop has very slight issues when running Left 4 Dead 2. Kind of annoying when I can't run it at the maximum detail settings without it starting to chug a little bit. The first one however runs flawlessly, is dirt cheap right now and has about a billion and one custom levels and campaigns people have made.

And I don't blame ya for holding off because they have mid-week sales all the time and weekend sales every weekend. That's pretty much the only time I ever buy anything off of it. :P

GivenTheOkieDoke
12-05-10, 09:51
hehe Yeah, my "good" desktop has very slight issues when running Left 4 Dead 2. Kind of annoying when I can't run it at the maximum detail settings without it starting to chug a little bit. The first one however runs flawlessly, is dirt cheap right now and has about a billion and one custom levels and campaigns people have made.

And I don't blame ya for holding off because they have mid-week sales all the time and weekend sales every weekend. That's pretty much the only time I ever buy anything off of it. :P

If I snag up the first 2 Fallout's on Steam they will work fine on any OS right? I have XP now but am going to get Windows 7 soon.

Dhalamar
13-05-10, 05:07
If I snag up the first 2 Fallout's on Steam they will work fine on any OS right? I have XP now but am going to get Windows 7 soon.

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't run, but I haven't ever played them before so I honestly couldn't tell ya. Don't get them on Steam though, they're cheaper on gog.com and they come with a a lot more stuff like downloadable manuals, a reference card, a friggin' Fallout bible. lol

GivenTheOkieDoke
13-05-10, 04:03
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't run, but I haven't ever played them before so I honestly couldn't tell ya. Don't get them on Steam though, they're cheaper on gog.com and they come with a a lot more stuff like downloadable manuals, a reference card, a friggin' Fallout bible. lol

Yup just grabbed it from that site downloading now.

Jacing It Up
14-06-10, 07:48
Had to use steam since 2004...damn i was so addicted to cs 1.6 and every time i would open steam on my old pc it was like trying to kick start a car engine with an AA battery...good times rite?

Dhalamar
14-06-10, 07:58
Had to use steam since 2004...damn i was so addicted to cs 1.6 and every time i would open steam on my old pc it was like trying to kick start a car engine with an AA battery...good times rite?

Hell, that's what it feels like to start and USE Steam now on my dinky PC that I use the most often. lol

God that update really slowed things down as far as the performance of the actual application.