PDA

View Full Version : Feb 2010 RoundUp 16 - Who Is Mike Eruzione Anyway

miner2049er
16-02-10, 01:58
Enjoy our February (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2010/roundup016_2010.02.htm) offerings, and don't forget to spread the word on your Internet travels.

Oh, and hit that Donate button too while you're at it..... You know it makes sense. ;)

Editorial on Past And Present Gaming Part 3 - (00:00)
Hardware Flashback - (27:01)
Guinness Gaming Records - (52:13)
Mike'd Up - (53:46)
Review Of Formula One Grand Prix - (70:42)
Tech Questions - (103:45)
Chuck E Cheese Hell - (124:24)
It Came From MAME - (126:46)
The British Hour - (139:22)
Top Ten Best Atari 2600 Games - (148:23)
iPhone Reviews - (273:06)
Pinball Wizard Part 1 - (289:47)
Review Of Wii Fitness For Dummies - (340:50)
Gaming Trivia - (348:20)
News And Mailbag - (349:02)
URLS And Emails - (401:48)

Donate (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) to the show. See the shownotes page (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2010/roundup016_2010.02.htm).
Join our Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/RetroGamingRoundup/121368478521) Group.

Edwards80
16-02-10, 04:37
Thanks guys!

I'll listen once I have caught up on the other 30+ hours of podcasts!

Especially looking forward to the Formula One GP review - I spent too many weekends completing full length GP's on my Amiga back in the day. . . not much has changed actually :)

GameGavel
16-02-10, 07:38
Great and interesting review Mike. You should pick up this CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Your-Hands-Power-Supply/dp/B0000025ZU

There are some great racing songs on here. See #10 Song. Great stuff!

bill_loguidice
16-02-10, 07:48
Thanks for the nice review of Wii Fitness for Dummies and the additional mention of Vintage Games!

RUP
18-02-10, 03:47
Just started the episode today. UK I loved the Formula One Grand Prix review! The history in the beginning was excellent! Gotta' pick up that game!

nightmare78
18-02-10, 10:07
Great episode guys you especially took me on trip down memory lane with the atari 2600 rap commercial. Also SoCal Mike for your iphone game list have you ever considered calling it iMike dunno just a suggestion. I heard you talk about the videogame gameshow but does anyone even remember Nickelodeon Arcade gameshow where there were 2 man teams to can see who can get meet certain goals in the games and answer gaming trivia. This show came in the SNES/Genesis days of console gaming. Well just dropping in my .02cents keep up the awesome podcast and please don't ever change the long podcast.

miner2049er
18-02-10, 10:26
Just started the episode today. UK I loved the Formula One Grand Prix review! The history in the beginning was excellent! Gotta' pick up that game!

Thanks, you should pick it up.

If you like the history aspect of it, my first review in show number 1 was for Grand Prix Legends so I go into some considerable depth about that era there.

miner2049er
18-02-10, 10:28
Great and interesting review Mike. You should pick up this CD:

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Your-Hands-Power-Supply/dp/B0000025ZU

Funny you should mention Slade when they opened the Brish Hour this month. I actually prefer their earlier songs but I will try that album.

alyinsanfran
18-02-10, 06:39
Great show again guys. I didn't think the Pinball Wizard segment would work, but blow me down if it wasn't a great bit. It's going to be top stuff to listen to how UK gets on - it'll probably motivate me to do the same thing at some point. Very cool.

But hey, River Raid not in the top 10? That's just crazy.

GameGavel
18-02-10, 06:48
Funny you should mention Slade when they opened the Brish Hour this month. I actually prefer their earlier songs but I will try that album.

Keep your hands off my power supply is a great album. One of my favs from the 80's. My Oh My and Run Runaway are awesome. The whole racing Medley is #10.

vibri2001
19-02-10, 04:26
I just got through the pinball wizard segment. I'm very excited about this new segment as I also just acquired my first table which is in need of a tune-up and clean-up.

SubaruBrat
19-02-10, 04:40
This could best be called a mini series, we will get Mike through to a working table. We want to show a typical first game experience when one gets a non working game. Also, tech questions can always help you, and we plan to do a Pinball Master guide at the end of Pinball Wizard.

GivenTheOkieDoke
11-03-10, 06:28
During the "It Came From MAME" segment when playing The Amazing Adventures of Mr. F. Lea during the Donkey Kong level that tune they had during the game was "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" by Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers.

miner2049er
11-03-10, 09:29
Not what you would call a classic arcade song.

That game was just plain weird.

RedWolfJC
13-03-10, 04:38
During the "It Came From MAME" segment when playing The Amazing Adventures of Mr. F. Lea during the Donkey Kong level that tune they had during the game was "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" by Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers.

YES! Man I could not place it for the life of me... I knew the tune but without the words, and all digitized I just couldn't get it. I think I played that section of the podcast like 20 times just so I could hear the melody again and try to figure out what it was :D

GameGavel
13-03-10, 04:44
YES! Man I could not place it for the life of me... I knew the tune but without the words, and all digitized I just couldn't get it. I think I played that section of the podcast like 20 times just so I could hear the melody again and try to figure out what it was :D

Mystery solved :BW:

RUP
13-03-10, 05:11
After playing it in MAME I checked out the history files. This is straight from MAME history

"The intro of the 'William Tell Overture' plays in the selection screen.
The end of the 'William Tell Overture' plays in the Game Over screen.
The main part of the 'William Tell Overture' is played in the 'Dog's Back' scene.
The song that is played in the Lawnmower scene is 'Waiting for the Robert E. Lee'.
The song that is played in the Dog's Tail's scene is 'The Man on the Flying Trapeze'.
The song that is played in the Dog's Hollow scene is the 1950's pop hit 'Why Do Fools Fall in Love?'.
Each time you lose a life, 'Brahm's Lullaby' is played as Mr. F. Lea is parachuted to the bottom of the screen.
Tchaikovsky's '1812 Overture' is played when you successfully complete a scene. It also plays as you enter your initials after the game is over and you made the high score list.
Completing an entire level (all four scenes) will yield a cut scene, set to the song 'For He's a Jolly Good Fellow', before the game begins again."

Now I'm going to go back and try to beat a level on "Th Pit" That game is @#$! hard!

GivenTheOkieDoke
13-03-10, 05:19
Yeah thats weird that they could just jack a tune like that. Or mabey they did go through copright laws with the owner of the track, who knows.

Edwards80
07-05-10, 11:02
A few hours into this show now (catching up slowly!)

The F1 GP review was excellent. Not just covering reasons that the game was great but also why it was such an exciting time to have an F1 simulator available. Fortunately I was young enough at the time to be able to spend entire school term holidays completing full championships, hasn't done my social life any harm, just ask my teddy bear.

The light guns section was interesting too. Great stuff :D

zxspectrum16k
23-11-10, 08:38
Just finished listening to the 'Top Ten Best Atari 2600 Games' fantastic podcast as always, the f1gp review brought back some great memories of multiplayer action with lads. One horrid tactic we would adopt, if you were the player in control and you happened to come across one of your opponents (which would be than currently controlled by cpu). we would ram them of the track, and get ready for the streaming. On one occasion it even resulted in a joystick pushed into someone's face for doing it the 3rd time on the trot. If I remember right, the player actually was coming last so decided to turn around and ram the leader :) the excitement as he had only a short period of time to do it (laughing now just remembering it), class game.
Anyways back to Atari2600, just catching up with some of your picks and this sound effect at the 45secs point of this vid must be one of the best ever made for a video game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWwfl1OUx40

Jammajup
31-08-12, 04:24
I am still playing catch-up with the podcasts and mixing them up,i am listening to #16 now and i enjoyed the UK Tour (Midlands),i am from West Bromwich which did not get mentioned but was close to the areas that were, i could relate to what was being said and i just had to smile.lol
F1GP is a game i used to own and was quite ahead of its time and the Atari 2600 was my first console with a place in my heart so the Top 10 is interesting,real good podcast this one.

miner2049er
31-08-12, 10:43
RoundUp16 is a good one. You'll also get to find out who Mike Eruzione is.