PDA

View Full Version : 18" Mini Arcade w/ Plug N Play

GameGavel
12-02-10, 04:24
This is a pretty cool idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150412331063

SubaruBrat
12-02-10, 05:19
Brilliant use of off the shelf hardware to create a mini cab, but two men should never share the same bathroom and make comments such as;

What up (with gang signs)
...show you something that Samule made
Were here in the bathroom

Dhalamar
25-02-10, 03:50
I actually wouldn't mind having one of those, but I wouldn't wanna shell out that much money for it personally.

I thought of a similar type of thing that could be made though ... with basically the same idea.

Only instead of using a portable DVD player screen use the guts of a netbook with MAME.

Basically (I would imagine) the same thing as a full size mame cab ... just with a netbook on the inside. :) Sorta like with that Windows CE device mini cab Scott brought up in one of the episodes.

In my case it'd be a little bigger though, my netbook has an 8.9" screen. and would have to have more buttons than what that plug and play game uses. 6 buttons would probably do just fine.

But it's more of a pipe dream for me because my electronics knowhow is zilch. Nada. I could probably build the cabinet with some diffuclty regarding measurements and whatnot though.

I just want a bartop cabinet that's easy to lug around.

SubaruBrat
25-02-10, 04:21
If your an NES fan, there is always the Nintendo Playchoice 10 counter top, add a mame countertop to that and you get a mini arcade going.

Dhalamar
25-02-10, 04:42
If your an NES fan, there is always the Nintendo Playchoice 10 counter top, add a mame countertop to that and you get a mini arcade going.

How much do those normally go for?

GameGavel
25-02-10, 04:47
How much do those normally go for?

These are pretty cool. But not cheap. You will pay a good $500-$700 for one. Possible less if you are in the right place at the right time. But that is price range I see them in.

Here is a link so you can see one. They are pretty hard to come by.

http://www.quarterarcade.com/Game.aspx/4924

Dhalamar
25-02-10, 05:05
That's kinda similar to what I had in mind with my netbook/mame cab deal only the button area would need to be a bit deeper for 6 buttons. But yeah.

If I ever decide to tackle something like that I'll probably just build it seeing as how my budget is pretty much nothing. :P

If I had 500 to 700 dollars I'd probably spend it on a good modern gaming PC. I could probably build a decent one for that kinda money.

That's how poor and how much of a cheapskate I am. hehe

SubaruBrat
25-02-10, 05:18
No reason you could not combine, run Maximus and have console plus mame. Now is a good time to start looking into it, the whole world is going flat panel and CRT monitors are sitting on the curb for free, start looking at craigs list. If you want to do this low budget, find a monitor first, say a 17 in. A laptop with a busted screen, or a so so PC I mean like a P4 would be sufficient for almost all the classics and console EMUs. A complete set of buttons and joysticks (http://cgi.ebay.com/TWO-8WAY-Arcade-Joysticks-14-Buttons-switch-120_W0QQitemZ310202056008QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item48397bbd48) runs $35 shipped to you. An encoder is about $25. The wood is pretty cheap as well. There are allot of ways to build on the cheap.

Dhalamar
25-02-10, 05:27
I've got a 17" CRT monitor layin' around. And I've got a Dell Inspiron notebook ... it doesn't have a busted screen (I think it's a 14 incher) it's got a 2.4ghz P4 with 768MB of RAM and a 20gb hard drive. I don't have much of a use for it anymore since it weighs a KABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM!KABOOM!ing ton.

I've also got a 15" flat panel TV/Monitor type of thing ... the casing is a little broken (I use it to test and work on PCs when I feel like doing it hehe) using that wouldn't provide the BEST experience of course, but then again it would cut down on the weight by a LOT.

The buttons you mentioned are a lot cheaper than what I was thinking (was thinking of an SF4 Tournament Fight Stick for that ... may still be worth thinking of because it works out of the box with Windows. And it's made with the same parts they use in the SF4 arcade machine. Even has the screws on the bottom for easy replacement of parts.

Saw one of those for Marvel Vs Capcom 2 at Gamestop for 99 bucks (same thing, different sticker).

But the weight and size of the thing is a big deal for me because I wanna be able to carry it myself and be able to fit it in the back seat of a car if needs be. heh

SubaruBrat
25-02-10, 06:18
It sounds to me like you can finish it up for:

Controls; $35
Encoder; $25
Tmolding; $10
Wood; $25
Misc; $25

$120 spread it out as you need and you could have a sweet machine.

Dhalamar
25-02-10, 06:21
What's the encoder for anyway?

SubaruBrat
25-02-10, 06:33
An astute question. You have arcade buttons, you have a computer, how do you get them together? An encoder is a one chip deal that appears to the computer as a keyboard. It gives you connections that you can connect to any switch and when the switch is closed the encoder sends the right number, letter etc to the computer. You could literally have a doorbell switch, a light switch and two forks with a wire tied to each that you jam together. In your case you have up, down, left, right on a joystick that are now appearing to the computer as if you have a regular keyboard and are hitting the arrow buttons.

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_80&products_id=200

miner2049er
25-02-10, 08:00
The biggest stumbling block might be your graphics adaptor on a small form factor machine handling what you throw at it.

miner2049er
25-02-10, 08:15
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_80&products_id=200

Way too much soldering. Try this.

http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/products/i-pac2board.htm

Dhalamar
25-02-10, 09:24
The biggest stumbling block might be your graphics adaptor on a small form factor machine handling what you throw at it.

Well, if I use the laptop, it wouldn't be JUST MAME running this stuff. MAME goes more for emulation accuracy than speed, so some games and types of games just run better on other emulators.

Like Final Burn Alpha will run CPS2 games on a 200mhz pentium with 64mb of RAM and a shit video video card at either full speed or damn near it(trust me, I know from experience hehe) ... something MAME just won't do.

If I use a smallish desktop ... just max out the ram, stick an old Geforce 5700LE or a 6200 in it and call it day.

Or just mount the damn motherboard, power supply, etc etc directly to the cab on the inside. One of my friends did that with an old modded Xbox and uses an arcade stick with it that way. lol

miner2049er
25-02-10, 10:14
Or just mount the damn motherboard, power supply, etc etc directly to the cab on the inside. One of my friends did that with an old modded Xbox and uses an arcade stick with it that way. lol

The only issue with doing that can be cooling. make sure it runs nice n cool or maybe direct a fan at the whizzy bits.