PDA

View Full Version : Retro Clone Wars (FC Mobile 1, 2, Gen Mobile, and FC 16 Go review)

leathco
30-01-10, 01:30
Hey guys, figured you might be interested in a fast review I did of the big four retro handhelds on the market right now. They are up on Youtube. Mods, delete this thread if its inappropriate, I don't wanna feel like I'm just advertising my channel....

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynEMMQGEO14
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHaGMgUnCTA

SubaruBrat
30-01-10, 03:09
No problem at all, it is good info for the community, but do feel free to add our splash screen to your videos.

leathco
31-01-10, 01:54
I've been thinking about adding a quick ten second video to all my videos...of which about three seconds would be a listing of sites I support. Mostly playthenes.com, sega-16.com, gamegavel.com, and retrogamingroundup.com. The only thing really holding me back is that I'm not sure all the sites want to be seen in one of my videos, as they aren't the most professionally made videos.

nathanallan
01-02-10, 06:19
Good comparison, thanks for sharing. Gives me a better ide of them without having to buy them first (and get disappointed by whatever feature or lack thereof).

Troglodyte
11-02-10, 08:18
Do you own any of these :SNES: Super Nintendo games?

Super Mario RPG

Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Land 3

If you do, could you please test them with the FC 16 Go?
These games have (sometimes intermittent) boot problems with the FC Twin, FC Dual, and the Retro Duo (although Super Mario RPG version 1.0 is supposed to work perfectly). These are all games that feature the SA-1 chip, which has sophisticated lockout protection. At the tail end of the second part; I did hear you say something about your copy of Super Mario RPG not working on the FC3 plus and the FC 16 Go? Is that correct?

There is a trick you can use to get these working (sometimes). If you turn the system off, wait a certain interval and then turn it back on, it may work. I have often had to leave the systems on after a few seconds of the game booting and then pulling the plug, waiting a few seconds and then plugging it back in. Also, for some reason, sometimes inserting a Super FX game first, shutting the system off after waiting for it to boot, and then quickly inserting one of the above SA-1 games also works.

Thanks for sharing the review :SFK

leathco
11-02-10, 09:26
well the only one of those I own is Mario rpg, which I haven't managed to get to run on either the f 16 go or fc3. It seems to be fine on my snes. Prolly has something to do with yobos snes clone hardware on all their systems. However, they may update that hardware. Fc mobile 1 is unable to play castlevania 3, while the fc mobile 2 can

It may be awhile til another video is made. My internaldrive failed in my NetBook and a couple months back the motherboard in my desktop blew a capacitor. Ill be fixing the netbook first, it's an acer aspire one which will require taking it completely apart so I might as well upgrade it's ram while im in there. I can still boot from a livecd though, and still have my iPod touch. And if you all want I can still make reviews, my camera records in mp4 format I just have no way to edit them.

Do you own any of these :SNES: Super Nintendo games?

Super Mario RPG

Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Land 3

If you do, could you please test them with the FC 16 Go?
These games have (sometimes intermittent) boot problems with the FC Twin, FC Dual, and the Retro Duo (although Super Mario RPG version 1.0 is supposed to work perfectly). These are all games that feature the SA-1 chip, which has sophisticated lockout protection. At the tail end of the second part; I did hear you say something about your copy of Super Mario RPG not working on the FC3 plus and the FC 16 Go? Is that correct?

There is a trick you can use to get these working (sometimes). If you turn the system off, wait a certain interval and then turn it back on, it may work. I have often had to leave the systems on after a few seconds of the game booting and then pulling the plug, waiting a few seconds and then plugging it back in. Also, for some reason, sometimes inserting a Super FX game first, shutting the system off after waiting for it to boot, and then quickly inserting one of the above SA-1 games also works.

Thanks for sharing the review :SFK

Troglodyte
14-02-10, 04:24
Well the only one of those I own is Mario RPG, which I haven't managed to get to run on either the FC 16 Go or FC3 plus. You must not have the original release then. I have purchased and resold a ton of copies trying to find one; but as of yet I haven't had any luck.

I'm guessing that this maybe because I theorize that the break down of the quantity of available versions is so:
Version 1.0: 25%
Version 1.1: 50%
Version 1.2: 25%

It seem that version 1.0 will work flawlessly with the the clones that are out now, while version 1.1 will work intermittently, and version 1.2 will not boot up at all. If you can't get it to work at all on any of your clones no matter how many times you try, I am guessing you have a Version 1.2; which is the last version Nintendo released.

FC Mobile 1 is unable to play :NES Castlevania 3, while the FC Mobile 2 can Interesting. I assume that your FC3 plus also cannot play Castlevania 3?
Unforunatly, it seems that Yobo has used the original NOAC (the same one found in the FC Mobile 1) in the FC3 plus for some stupid reason.
This version of the board is much inferior in respect to compatibility and sound.

It may be awhile til another video is made.
If you all want I can still make reviewsUp to you, despite your concern on quality; the information
presented, with real hands on experience with these
products, was greatly appreciated. :SFK
By the way are you still interested in the SNES Game Genie box and code manuals that I have lying around?
Thanks, in advance, for letting me know.

leathco
15-02-10, 06:02
Crap, I forgot completely about those! I already got some from my bud at k and m games but I can still get yours too since I said I wanted them. As an im sorry I forgot bonus I bid on some of your stuff at gamegavel....ill keep checking your listings cuz im adding game boy and advance games to my collection.

And yea cv3 don't run in my fc3. That was my guess too, that they used the old mobile1 chip. Im assuming they either had a stockpile of these left over or they plan to release an improved fc3 with better snes and nes compatibility. That genesis chip they are using looks pretty solid though.

What I may end up doing is shooting the videos and editing at my buds place til I get my drive in and installed. I know my action 104 series isn't popular but my hardware reviews seem to get some attention.