PDA

View Full Version : Jan 2010 RoundUp 14 - Port Out, Starboard Home

miner2049er
27-01-10, 01:04
Well, here it is, a hotly anticipated show this one, and why not of course.

Go grab it now (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2010/roundup014_2010.01.htm).

TOPICS COVERED IN THE SHOW
Editorial on Past And Present Gaming Part 2
Mike'd Up
Guinness Gaming Records
Review Of The Amstrad CPC
Hardware Flashback
It Came From MAME
The British Hour
Top Ten Video Game Anthologies
Tech Questions
iPhone Reviews
Gaming Trivia
News And Mailbag
URLS And Emails

Why not consider making a donation (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/donate.htm) while you're there?

teknohed
27-01-10, 01:27
downloading it now! Perfect timing as I finished the boxing day episode yesterday night!

Scott's tirade of UK slang was freakin classic by the way!

leathco
27-01-10, 07:17
Downloading now looks pretty good.

Some pre-emptive discussion about the top ten: I'm glad to see the Williams collection do so well. With the other collection right below it, I'll have to buy it for sure. I hope there is a PSP version, as the Williams PSP version was awesome, the shoulder buttons made for great bumper control.

Mario All Stars only at 9? I can't wait to hear the arguement to justify this one. Sure there are only 4 games, but keep in mind the time period it came out, its possibly the first anthology game that was ever released, and every title on it is an incredebly strong title. Oh well, at least it made it in. Can't wait to get it downloaded! (sat internet sucks, prolly will take me an hour and a half to get it all down.)

Edwards80
27-01-10, 09:47
Cool. Good work guys.

Now, if you could just slow it down a bit to let me catch up on the 42 hours of podcasts I have not yet listened to, that would be great :)

Seriously though, keep it up, it's a great show!

leathco
27-01-10, 01:13
I have a lot to say about this.....I didn't want to post right after the first part, but after Scotts segment I guess I'll go ahead and chime in.

1. Hardware - Long story short I like the old hardware better. Its more reliable. I went through 3 360s before I sold it and all my games, and bought a PS3 and Wii instead. The Wii had some great launch titles, and occassionally has a strong title like New SMB, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Punch-Out, but for the most part the games are crap unless its a strong first-party release. The PS3 seems to have more stronger releases, but many are 360 ports. But since I've had my PS3 for two years now with no problems and my first 360 lasted less than a year, it seems the PS3 is more durable. But still, nothing and I mean NOTHING beats the old cartridge solid state systems.

2. Software - Unlike you guys, I still occassionally find a game or series I really like. For instance, on my PS3 I love Resistance 1 and 2, Bioshock, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Red Alert 3, Assassins Creed, Armored Core 4, and others. However I find myself buying quite a few of those PS1 classics as well, like Final Fantasy Tactics 7 and 8, Legacy of Kain and Soul Reaver, Symphony of the Night, Twisted Metal 2, and others. I also like retro compiliations like Sonics Mega Genesis Collection, even though I easily own most of the carts on the collection to begin with. Mega Man 9 was also FANTASTIC.

However, I have much more fun delving back in the past to find old games I never played, but end up loving. I recently picked up Metal Storm for 3 bucks and realized I not only stumbled on a great find, but its an incredebly fun game. I won some import Mega Drive games and Jap Sega games not too long ago and had some great fun with those, as well as a bunch of Gen shooters like Sagai and Thunder Blade. The NES is great, I can get carts for a couple bucks apiece and bring home tons of fun. Its at the point I have a list of all the carts I own on my iPod when I am out at pawn shops or used game stores so I can more or less buy up any game they have I don't own yet. Which brings me to.....

3. Is this the last gen for me? Well, I feel I am more retro than modern, but I still keep up for the most part, even if I have abandoned the ever-popular 360 due to Microsoft making shoddy hardware and wanting to charge me to fix it (my final 360 stopped reading discs after 3 months of getting it back from Microsoft as a refurb, and the bitch on the phone wanted to charge me 129 bucks to fix it again.)

Strangely, my iPod Touch is a strong part of my gaming now. I learned a lot about the Commodore 64 games from the app I got on there (I bought all the games they had). Puzzle Quest is incredebly fun. I also like Kyles Quest 2, a nice RPG collection. Stupid games like Paper Toss can still eat an hour of time by itself. I also have found myself a fan of tower defense games like Tap Defense, Zombie Attack, and Defend Your Castle. Theres a fun version of Red Alert, a TNA wrestling game thats more like a strategy game, and a fave of mine, Crystal Defenders.

It also helps a lot with my retro gaming. Aside from the C64 emulator, I also have bought Space Ace, Dragons Lair, Tyrian, Doom, Duke Nukem, Nethack, Frotz, and Myst.

Its also become a handy tool for me. I bought i2reader to read my PDF and TXT books on it, as it makes a wonderful ebook reader. I also have apps for Star Trek Comics and just regular comics, these are always great to read and theres lots of free comics for both apps. I can shop on it using not just the built in browser, but apps for ebay and amazon that are made to make the entire experience smoother than even being on a PC.

So what am I saying? I'm saying I'm a retro gamer by far, but still a modern gamer. But I'm also saying the best platform this generation isn't the 360, Wii, or PS3 (though PS3 is my second fave.) Though I like my homebrewed and custom firmwared PSP and keep it up to date, its not my fave. My DS gets a lot of attention when a new RPG comes out, but the PSP spanks it. But....my fave platform this gen is indeed the iPod Touch. Go figure, an MP3 player is my favorite current gen platform.

But if you look at it, it even spanks the other CONSOLE systems as a multimedia system as well. Its solid state like the old consoles, no discs to get lost or scratched. The web browser destroys the PS3 browser, Wiis Opera, and the crap PSP browser. The games are significantly cheaper. You can get between 20 to 60 games in your game library for the cost of a single brand new 360, PS3, or Wii game.

So, call me crazy, but for the most part a frickin MP3 player is keeping my gaming alive for this gen. And for the most part, I'm almost completely a retro gamer at this point.

PS screw online gaming. It has its place but its way too popular. Multiplayer has turned into pitting your skills against faceless entities that you forget about after the match has concluded. I'd rather invite some friends over and have a gaming party. Order some pizza, crank the music, and gather round the TV with controllers in hand.

SubaruBrat
27-01-10, 01:33
There is truth to that comment about the iPod/iPhone. I have been playing an iPhone game called Undercroft, it is a 386 era dungeon game, very old school, and it is better than any of the flashy 360/PS3 stuff I have seen in terms of gameplay.

BydoEmpire73
27-01-10, 02:00
I'd never say never, so who knows about the next generatoin. But I cancelled my Gamefly account last week due to lack of use, I've never bought a full-priced retail game for my 360 (I've had it for 2 1/2 years), and I haven't bought a full-priced Wii game since The Conduit. I haven't even played a game on my 360 since before Christmas and haven't turned on my Wii in several weeks. 100% of my gaming is done on my iPod Touch.

1) I don't have the time required to commit to modern games. There are just a lot of other things I'd rather do... that's probably the biggest thing. It's not necessarily the games themselves, although if there were games I cared about I'd probably make time or get sucked in.
2) I'm just not interested in the themes of most modern games. Everything has to be either "edgy" or over the top, or else super cartoony. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground any more. Even a game like Mass Effect 2 - it's gotten rave reviews, but I saw a commercial for it and if it were a movie instead of a game everyone would think "that's the worst sci-fi movie ever." Total B-movie stuff. Games are trying too hard to give that movie-quality storytelling, but they fall so far short it's almost comical. I enjoyed games more when they were just trying to be fun games and didn't worry so much about doing a half-assed job at being cinematic or poorly telling a story.
3) So many disappointing games. Even games I should have enjoyed like New SMB on Wii left me with the feeling of "oh, that's neat, it's just like every other SMB game wit updated graphics." Being a huge D&D fan, I should have like Dragon Age: Origins, but the incredibly lame plot, long, boring and mandatory "Fade" Segments and weak combat system made me give up and sell the game after 15 hours. And so many Wii games could have been cool if they didn't screw up the controls. 3rd parties just haven't cared about the games they're putting out. I picked up Smash Brother at midnight and sold it a week later to to the 100% broken, unusable online. Super Paper Mario was by far the worst PM game in the series, and I never bothered to finish it. I really like the Wii, but to me it's The Official System of Unrealized Potential, and at this point in its life that's just not going to change. Thank God for Gamely - if I had bought every game I thought I wanted I would have spent a thousand bucks on stuff I grew tired of quickly.
4) It's hard to justify $50 or $60 for a game when I know I won't finish it anyways, and I'd have just as much fun spending $3 on Sword of Fargoal or playing a 2600 game. I have other financial priorities, and many other priorities for my time.
5) It seems like this gen is just a slightly-modified version of last-gen. I actually really liked the ps2/gc/xbox era. This time around it feels like more of the same, only more expensive and more complex.
6) XBLA is the best thing about the 360, and it is great, but I'm just not a fan of download-only games, especially when they're $10 and up. I don't trust my 360 to be around five years from now. Wii Virtual Console is the same only worse because there's no good way to transfer to another machine if it dies. iPhone games are cheaper, and they're sitting on my computer so if my ipod dies I'm not screwed. DL games make a lot more sense for a portable.

I've totally given up on this gen. Don't get me wrong, Fallout 3 and Gears of War were cool, I really enjoyed a bunch of Wii titles: MP3 (my favorite game of this gen), Zelda, Pinball Hall of Fame and Dead Space: Extraction - but overall this gen is among my least favorite.

BydoEmpire73
27-01-10, 04:22
Digging through boxes of shit from the 70s and 80sThat about sums up this hobby we have, doesn't it? =)

teknohed
27-01-10, 06:52
After Leathco and Bydo's great lengthy posts, I'll try to keep mine short and sweet, but I was also compelled to write something after listening to Scott's editorial this month.

I guess I might be in the minority, but I am probably as much of a modern gamer as I am a classic gamer. I spend as much time playing 360 and Wii games. As I do playing MAME games and games on my retro consoles.

I actually use the Wii primarily for retro gaming. I think the emulation of a lot of those games is great on Virtual Console and it's nice to feed them onto the big screen through the component cables. It's just a great package. I've played a few Wii games, but for the most part I use it to play compilations and anthologies or VC titles.

I think Scott judged the 360 kind of harshly. I mean yeah, if your criteria for judgement is Tony Hawk, Midnight Club, and Namco Arcade then you'd have kind of a low opinion of it, but both the games he sited as liking on the PS3 are also available on the XBox, with no significant difference. I mainly bought an XBox because I have more friends playing games on there and when it comes down to it I like the dang achievement points. Other than the Blu-Ray player I don't think there is really a compelling reason to own a PS3 over an XBox or vice versa. And I definitely think they both have compelling gaming experiences that are as good as those on retro systems.

Leathco brings up a good point about reliability. I mean I still have my NES and Genesis from when I was a kid and those things still work. Heck, I have an Odyssey 200 that still works. You think there will be many XBox 360's working 30 years from now? Probably not. You think that Odyssey 200 will still work? Probably. I have two XBox 360s, the older one just died (a few weeks after the 3 year warranty expired of course) and I don't know that I'm going to replace it. I'm really tempted ot buy a PS3 because I have to imagine it will last me longer than the XBox which I had already RMA'd to MSoft twice.

But in the end I think I'm just a gamer. I love old and new games equally. I'm not sure where the vitriol that I hear from some retro gamers comes from. I don't think that you have to hate new games and online games in order to truly appreciate the classics. I think some of my favorite ways to enjoy retro games are on anthology and classics collections. I mean I play the Sonic Mega Drive collection on the 360 even though I own most of those games in cartridge form and it's because I don't want to have 30 consoles hooked up to the TV. It's just easier and for me the experience is really about the same.

psychogorilla
27-01-10, 08:27
Big thanks for the DK cab info! I'll keep everybody updated when I start working on it and taking a good, hard look at everything. Also, just a heads up, the "burning the house down" thing was mostly a joke, but the electrocution certainly wasn't.

As for the whole retro vs modern thing, over the last half decade or so, I've moved so far towards the retro side that it should frighten the current industry. Sure, the massive number of new players out there is stunning, and that's primarily who they market towards, but you'd be hard-pressed to argue against the dedicated retro players as being the biggest steady supporters of the industry over the years. My "modern" buying usually consists of compilations, and the heavy story-based games aren't my thing unless there's some real enjoyable gameplay involved and I have the option of focusing purely on it. For example, if a game has a cutscene I can't skip, I skip the game.

SubaruBrat
27-01-10, 08:36
I mean yeah, if your criteria for judgement is Tony Hawk, Midnight Club, and Namco Arcade then you'd have kind of a low opinion of it, but both the games he sited as liking on the PS3 are also available on the XBox, with no significant difference.

Fair enough, those are the games I have seen. I like to comment on only what I have seen first hand and I think I did say though, and if I didn't I will say it here. The few games I wanted to play did not compel me to buy either system. I am certain that T4 or Blazing Angles is about identical in play because the controllers are about identical, I would probably have just as much of a hard time with the 360 as I do the PS3.

The simple aesthetics of the new consoles is a factor, the PS3 and 360 just look wrong, the Wii I like. But I didn't and still don't like the Atari 5200 aesthetically either. But aesthetics isn't the end all be all, so modern consoles don't turn me off based on just the box alone, I would love to see a new console come along that has games that appeal to me. A listener said here recently that there are either cartoony or over the top games with no middle of the road, I think that has merit. I don't believe that all the greats are in the past, I want to buy an exciting new console with games that compell me to pick up the controller when I am waiting 30min for some epoxy to dry or a weld to cool. I just haven't seen it yet.

teknohed
27-01-10, 09:13
Fair enough, those are the games I have seen. I like to comment on only what I have seen first hand and I think I did say though, and if I didn't I will say it here. The few games I wanted to play did not compel me to buy either system. I am certain that T4 or Blazing Angles is about identical in play because the controllers are about identical, I would probably have just as much of a hard time with the 360 as I do the PS3.

The simple aesthetics of the new consoles is a factor, the PS3 and 360 just look wrong, the Wii I like. But I didn't and still don't like the Atari 5200 aesthetically either. But aesthetics isn't the end all be all, so modern consoles don't turn me off based on just the box alone, I would love to see a new console come along that has games that appeal to me. A listener said here recently that there are either cartoony or over the top games with no middle of the road, I think that has merit. I don't believe that all the greats are in the past, I want to buy an exciting new console with games that compell me to pick up the controller when I am waiting 30min for some epoxy to dry or a weld to cool. I just haven't seen it yet.

That's a good point about the aesthetics of the systems themselves. Altough as a Dreamcast fan I'm suprised to hear that you think the 360 looks wrong. I always thought it had kind of a dreamcast feel. In comparison the Wii looks like a Wifi router and the PS3 looks like a huge plastic and chrome monstrosity. I do lilke the PS3 slim redesign and the PSP so I know that Sony has the industrial design chops, but compared to the something like the Odyssey 2, which to my kid brain always thought llooked like what a computer was supposed to look like or the classic wood grain of the 2600, yeah there is a lot left to be desired by the modern consoles.

You mentioned wanting a sort of Sword and Sorcery type game to come along and I wonder if you ever looked at or played Oblivion on 360 or PS3? Seems like that might do the trick.

I also think there a few modern games with a retro soul on the XBox 360 Arcade or PSN that you'd do well to check out. Namely:

Geometry Wars (basically Bezerk or robotron)
Zombie Apocalypse (basically smash TV with Zombies)
Pac Man Championship (which I know you've played)
Castle Crashers
Puzzle Quest
Portal
Peggle
Shadow Complex
N+
Braid
Alien Breed

Not to mention all the games on this system that actually ARE retro classics like:

Dig Dug
Out Run
Bubble Bobble
Ikaruga
Bomberman
Metal Slug
Sonic
Contra
Galaga
Joust

I know a lot of those games can be emulated, but it's nice to play them in HD. And it's also nice to know that your purchase of these games will send some money back to the companies who made the games you love and hopefully lead to more great retro games being released on current gen systems.

Joshua B
29-01-10, 02:50
I liked hearing the LAs on the British Hour. :-)

Loving the show as usual. I didn't know about the Gottlieb pinball comp on the Wii. Makes me want one for that and the Williams comp. I love pinball talk on the show.

miner2049er
29-01-10, 10:55
I liked hearing the LAs on the British Hour. :-)

That's one of my favourite songs ever, and probably the best thing to ever emerge from Liverpool.

I met John Power in a pub once.

I love pinball talk on the show.

Expect more in the coming months as we resurrect my first pinball project, so get your multimeters at the ready cos we're going in.

teknohed
29-01-10, 04:33
Expect more in the coming months as we resurrect my first pinball project, so get your multimeters at the ready cos we're going in.

http://www.notcoming.com/images/reviews/ghostbusters.gif

OK Boys, Switch me on...

OldTymeToys
29-01-10, 07:21
That's one of my favourite songs ever, and probably the best thing to ever emerge from Liverpool.

You were 100% right in the podcast mentioning the real football club in Liverpool- Everton! Go Toffees! ;)

GameGavel
29-01-10, 07:23
You were 100% right in the podcast mentioning the real football club in Liverpool- Everton! Go Toffees! ;)

A forum virgin. Welcome :)

OldTymeToys
29-01-10, 07:26
A forum virgin. Welcome :)

Thanks- been listening since the beginning and I need to begin visiting over here in addition to KLOV forums!

miner2049er
29-01-10, 09:15

Haha! That's the second time I've used that joke in the show, only last time it was Tranmere Rovers. ;)

leathco
30-01-10, 01:54
For me, the Dreamcast, while not retro, had a great system setup and many great ideas. Sega hadn't been this innovative since the Genesis. Unfortunately, it got squashed my the mostrosity that was the PS2. A system that, lets face it, had no good titles for its first year.

Oh and for the record, I think the Sega CD was an awesome addon hardware wise, just not enough games that took advantage of it in the right ways. Many did though, like Lunar 1 and 2, Vay, Popful Mail, Terminator, Sonic CD, and the unreleased Penn and Teller Game.

The 32X had its pluses as well, just too much money for too little hardware. Now, if they made it to where the Saturns cart port was a 32X and they kept making the titles for both the standard 32X and Saturn, maybe it would have had more of a chance. Just my two cents, and I could be wrong on all this.

Wow, I went off on a tangent there.

OldTymeToys
01-02-10, 05:59
Just finished listening to the January podcast and heard you guys mention the notes sections in the back of game manuals during the news. The reason for some manuals having the notes section might've started with print runs. When printing a saddle stitched book like a manual, it must consist of pages in 4's. So if a 56-page manual needed one extra page, it would need to go to 60 pages just due to the nature of the paper run. I know at my company, we've done this a few times- added a "Notes" section to the back just to fill pages. Not saying that it's the single reason, but it could have come into play. Just my $0.02.

alyinsanfran
04-02-10, 02:34
There is truth to that comment about the iPod/iPhone. I have been playing an iPhone game called Undercroft, it is a 386 era dungeon game, very old school, and it is better than any of the flashy 360/PS3 stuff I have seen in terms of gameplay.

Hey I'm glad someone else thinks this game kicks arse. I got it a few months ago and was addicted as hell. I need to get back to it - I'm in the Royal Tomb and it's maddeningly maze-like.

I plan to hit it again just as soon as I finish moving us to our new home. Any of you guys seen the apartments in Pacifica, CA that are sliding into the ocean? That would be our home of the last 8 years..

GameGavel
04-02-10, 02:38
Hey I'm glad someone else thinks this game kicks arse. I got it a few months ago and was addicted as hell. I need to get back to it - I'm in the Royal Tomb and it's maddeningly maze-like.

I plan to hit it again just as soon as I finish moving us to our new home. Any of you guys seen the apartments in Pacifica, CA that are sliding into the ocean? That would be our home of the last 8 years..

Dang, is your house ok?

alyinsanfran
04-02-10, 02:48
Dang, is your house ok?

Nah, pretty much screwed I think - the rains tomorrow may force more evacuations, which is why we got out now! I helped some neighbours evacuate a couple of weeks ago, and saw how the story ends.
It ends with everything you own out on the street, in the rain, and you with nowhere to sleep. Bugger that!

But bloody hell, moving 5 aquariums (to 25 gallons) upstairs suuuuuuucked.

Our new place is nice though, and should be safe through the winter.

May even have space for a pin!

SubaruBrat
04-02-10, 03:10
Why not boldly give the elements the finger and get this pin (http://ipdb.org/search.pl?any=earthquake&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#753)! Given where you live and all.

alyinsanfran
04-02-10, 04:18
Why not boldly give the elements the finger and get this pin (http://ipdb.org/search.pl?any=earthquake&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#753)! Given where you live and all.
Possible balance in the universe would be restored if I got EarthShaker!

I think I'll try to get a Zizzle for starters - once the other half's enjoying that a full size should be no obstacle.

Look at this though, I never even knew these existed:
Cocktail Pinball (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/atq/1582831028.html)

SubaruBrat
04-02-10, 05:19
The key is to get something that she likes too. My wife never had a problem with pins as it was grandfathered in. My theory is this, whatever you bring to the marriage is grandfathered in, but since pins came after the fact you have to sell this one. My wife is a cat lover so I got her a Bad Cats pin, she loves it and even though it would never appeal to me I found out it was a decent game. So look around ipdb.org and find a theme she loves, bring it home and get her hooked. Then you can add your favorite.

alyinsanfran
04-02-10, 06:13
The key is to get something that she likes too. My wife never had a problem with pins as it was grandfathered in. My theory is this, whatever you bring to the marriage is grandfathered in, but since pins came after the fact you have to sell this one. My wife is a cat lover so I got her a Bad Cats pin, she loves it and even though it would never appeal to me I found out it was a decent game. So look around ipdb.org and find a theme she loves, bring it home and get her hooked. Then you can add your favorite.

Great tips there. Hmm, she's a scientist, working in virology spec' HIV. Prolly nothing themed that way, not in SF! But she kicks arse on most 90's pins and loves Attack from Mars and T2.

All in the future - still have to get all the rest of the collected crap from the overhanging apartment while there's time.

Hey, anyone actually own a Zizzle? Bill's review on YT is good, so I can't help thinking that if the Atari one is ever released it'll be awesome. Why no news?

And btw guys, great Jan' show. But how you pushed out the Intellivision (prototype, only played by one of you) but kept the 'Atari' cab compillation (prototype, only played by one of you) is beyond me.

saberman
04-02-10, 08:59
Great show as usual guys I’ve just finished the British hour. I normally don’t post anything until I finish the podcast but felt like I had too.

First thanks very much to So Cal Mike for reviewing The Pit in it came from MAME. You confirmed 4 things I’ve long suspected about that game:
- It is a great game
- It is a greed game
- It is a really difficult game
- It is a ‘just one more go game’
I remember it really well from my childhood there was a café that always had a couple of arcade games. I used to go in when I was 8 or 9 and watch the older kids playing for hours. Occasionally I’d have 1 10p to have a go myself and die in about 4 seconds. Some of the kids there were really good.

I loved the hardware flashback too. Two great reviews and I’m tempted to go out and buy a genmobile after hearing them.

The British hour was as funny as ever. There’s a scouse guy at work and to make him feel at home I was thinking of taking in some half bricks, removing the casters from his chair and propping it up on the bricks. I really must take exception with UK saying Everton is the best football team in Liverpool. Everyone knows that Tranmere Rovers is by far the best football team for Liverpool. Next Mike will be refusing to acknowledge that Stockport County is the best team in Manchester.

OK just read the other posts and the Tranmere joke has been used before – Doh!

saberman
04-02-10, 09:53
Having listened to the first 20 minutes of the Top 10 debate I thought I’d post this poll :)

http://www.chasingthechuckwagon.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2429

bill_loguidice
05-02-10, 08:38
Inspired by this month's top ten, I ordered Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection for the Xbox 360. I'm a sucker for good pinball games, and only having Pinball FX this generation, I thought it high time to get something good. I chose the 360 version over the Wii version because of the HD aspects, plus the addition of more tables. The price couldn't be beat on Amazon either.

miner2049er
05-02-10, 08:43
I haven't played it on that platform but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

bill_loguidice
05-02-10, 08:51
I haven't played it on that platform but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I doubt I will be. It seems it's the highest rated version simply because it takes the same feature set as the previous games, adds new tables, and presents them in HD. The PS3 version appears to be exactly the same, except for the lack of typical leaderboard/achievement integration like on the 360.

I played many of the original tables included in real life, and particularly some of the older ones was rather disappointed. Of course playing a game or two once (particularly the older pinball titles, which require a different skill set than late 80's/90's tables) is a lot different than being able to spend quality time with them, so I'm looking forward to getting to know the nuances from the digital versions for the next time I get to handle them in real life.

alyinsanfran
07-02-10, 09:13
Listening to you guys wax lyrical on the Williams and Gottlieb collections made me go back and play 'em on PSP. I''d lost interest previously, as I'd played vertically without scrolling and it felt wrong. But playing it scrolling works great, and the sounds are close to perfect.

miner2049er
07-02-10, 10:09
Yeah it works well horizontally on most tables.

Give Big Shot a go, I love that.

saberman
08-02-10, 08:21
Inspired by this month's top ten, I ordered Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection for the Xbox 360. I'm a sucker for good pinball games, and only having Pinball FX this generation, I thought it high time to get something good. I chose the 360 version over the Wii version because of the HD aspects, plus the addition of more tables. The price couldn't be beat on Amazon either.

I’ll admit this month’s top 10 has got me thinking about pinball emulation games too. I was thinking of trying out pinMAME or some of the games mentioned in the show. The Gottlieb collection on the PSP sounds pretty good.

I’m a bit of a pinball novice so I wondered if anyone had any recommendations? I love Metroid Prime pinball on the DS :SAM:. I have a Wii, a PSP, a DS and a PC so games or emulators for any of them would be good.

IG-88
09-02-10, 10:05
Finally got to hear the show. Excellent as usual guys. I really liked the hardware flashback section. I ended up ordering one of those genmobile's. They sound pretty cool.

REALLY liked the news section. (for obvious reasons :)) Again thanks. Just got the download for quak but haven't got to try it yet. Will give it a go shortly.

Mike. I like the idea of doing reviews of other handhelds too. Don't have one of those iphones but do have a GBA and looking into a DS. I'd appreciate any tips on good games for either system.

Also for the "It came from Mame" segment. Try Marvin's Maze. Ryker and I have been playing it quite a bit. We really like it.

bill_loguidice
12-02-10, 06:11
I just want to chime in one more time and say that Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection on the Xbox 360 is top notch. Though it's brutally hard getting any achievements and the Williams Challenge is a killer, I've played it pretty much every night since getting it, even with the wife. I can't imagine how they could have done a better job and for the price it's probably one of the great game values out there.

retroshaun
19-03-10, 05:33
Man its so cool that Socal reviewed Libble Rabble! I actually picked up a PCB for that game on ebay many years ago and I know its extremely rare, I only know of one other collector with one (though I am sure there are more!). I got it for a bargain price too from Japan - probably because no-one knew what it was! Superb game, definitely an overlooked classic.

RetroPom
08-05-10, 08:05
Just finished listening to this show.......I've fallen a bit behind......Ooops! Catching up though.....if slowly

I found the mentioning of of New Tempest arcade levels interesting - I know Duncan Brown of Williams/Bally pinball did the same - Way back in the day...

Check out the edition of Topcast below for more info on this.....and some other real cool stuff - See Shaggy's show description below too.
http://www.marvin3m.com/topcast/showget.php?id=58

Show Description:
What can I say about this one! Duncan is certainly one of the more colorful people that worked in the pinball industry. As a pinball operator in the early 1980s in Virgina, Duncan made his own pinball machine. He took a Williams Time Warp, reverse engineering Williams 6802 system6 pinball software, and turned it into his `Chief Bank-A-Flip Galactic Poker Dice`, a pinball machine with 25 drop targets. He also created his own video game `Alien Arena`, by reverse engineering Williams' Stargate/Defender video game platform. Duncan is also working on a pinball backglass book, documenting the artwork for all flipper pinballs from 1947 to present. But wait, there's more! Duncan worked at WMS as an assembly language slot machine programmer, and then moved to the pinball division for Pinball 2000 and Star Wars Episode1. Duncan also talks about the closing of Williams Pinball and many of the associated conspiracy theories.

Well worth a listen - I'm sure Scott and Mike have probably been there already.

miner2049er
14-06-10, 10:58
I found this on my travels. Somebody in the UK owned one

Arcade Classics. (http://www.andysarcade.net/personal/arcadeclassicsproto/index.htm)