PDA

View Full Version : XBox Live Arcade Room

teknohed
21-01-10, 09:49
So I know that most everyone on the podcast mostly only have Wiis as their modern console of choice. I have a wii, which I mostly use for Virtual Console games and the occasional Disc game (Williams Pinball, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, House of the Dead Overkill, etc).

I'm really more of a 360 gamer. My wife is big on graphically amazing co op games and so I play a lot of Borderlands, Gears of War etc with her on the 360.

I didn't see anyone mention this on the boards yet, so maybe it's just not something that anyone is interested in, but I it was the only news out of CES that peaked my interest.

At CES, Microsoft announced a new initiative for XBox Live called Xbox Live Arcade Room. Basically this is going to be a new area accessable to users through the dashboard of their 360s that will be a giant retro themed arcade. Users will be able to walk their avatars from machine to machine and download and play classic arcade games. Acording to what I've heard Microsoft is planning on releasing over 1000 arcade and classic console games in the next three years. There will be something like 100 released each month. Here's the list of games that will be available at launch according to Giant Bomb:
Finalizer - Super Transformation
Super Cobra
Centipede
Lunar Lander
Tempest
Jungler
Armor Battle
Space Hawk
Sub Hunt
Gravitar
Outlaw
Red Baron
Shao-Lin's Road
Asteroids Deluxe
Space Armada
Millipede
Scramble
Combat
Astrosmash
Mountain Madness: Super Pro Skiing
Crystal Castles
RealSports Tennis
Tutankham
Adventure
Star Raiders
Football
Road Fighter
Battlantis
Sea Battle
Yars' Revenge

As you can see there is a pretty good mix of Arcade, Intellivision, and Atari 2600 games. As some of you may know I am staunchly anti piracy. I hate emulating stolen roms, but like many of my fellow retro gamers I acknowledge that with many of these games there just isn't a legitimate way to play these games on the original hardware. Assuming the emulation is good, I'd be more than happy to pay 3 bucks a pop for these games and be able to enjoy them without having to worry about playing stolen games.

If you're interested, there's a couple of articles over on Giant Bomb (http://www.giantbomb.com/news/game-room-brings-arcade-classics-back-to-xbox-live/1825/) and Destructoid (http://www.destructoid.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-microsoft-s-game-room-159812.phtml) with additional information.

The official Trailer can be viewed here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe68Wu36BU4&feature=player_embedded).

miner2049er
22-01-10, 10:59
I saw this a while ago but details were very sketchy about how you would may / would be charged for the feature. Is it going to be done free and you pay for the "cabs" you have or do you pay credits to play each time?

teknohed
23-01-10, 12:51
My understanding is that you will have three options:

1) Download the cab for unlimited plays on both XBox Live and Windows Live - 500 MS Points

2) Download the cab for unlimited plays on XBox Live - 300 MS Points

3) By credits and play the games on demand - 50 MS Points

Seems to me like Option 2 will be the way to go.