PDA

View Full Version : First time poster, longtime listener

triverse
28-12-09, 06:09
Hey guys, I have been listening to your podcasts for a few weeks now catching up and must say, it is quite interesting. I recently took a part time, mindless job that allows me to just listen to my MP3 player and the shifts are about 5 to 6 hours long (perfect for listening to the Retrogaming Roundup).
I have listened to August, September, October and I believe November 2009 so far, have to download some more as I have one more I believe before I go into reruns.
My first impression came from "auction" in the November 2009 episode, I was very intrigued and surprised at some of the talk (I have listened to some podcasts that are quite sterile so to speak). So far, there are only a couple of segments that I fast forward through (the comic book reading segment jumps to mind, though cool and all, it is not my cup of tea). All in all, great work and the end result shows how dedicated you guys are.

A little bit of background on myself for those interested. I am 33 years old, co-owner of a couple of websites (links in my signature, for more details on them, just ask) and have been a gamer for many many years (missing my childhood games has led me on a trek to replace them, as I am sure something similar has gotten others into retro gaming of one sort or another).
I am in computer repair, when the jobs come around that is, with the economy bringing down prices sometimes it seems like a better idea to start a nonprofit business and write everything off (I do a lot of free work for the elderly and for local churches and such).

I have about 300 gaming magazines in my collection so far (about 98% are pre 2002 or so, I feel right about the time that retro stuff ended). Still adding more to that collection (my fiancee probably wishes I would get rid of most of them as the floor in our "library" fell through recently, now the mags are dispersed throughout the house to distribute the weight).

My gaming collection currently holds about 250 games spread over 10+ consoles and handhelds (sadly, the Dreamcast is the only working system I have right now). We have a couple of "thrift shops" here that carry games for older systems (recently got Chester Cheetah for Genesis for a quarter, no box or instructions, before that I got KOTOR for PC, C&C Generals for PC and Baldur's Gate for Gamecube for $2 total).

If anyone wants to know anything else, just ask, I don't have too many secrets. Great work on the show, I must confess that my fave sections are with So Cal Mike but none of the segments are bad.

SubaruBrat
28-12-09, 06:14
Triverse, welcome! A DC is a fine start.

"listened to some podcasts that are quite sterile so to speak"

Yeah, we are far from sterile..... Wash before and after our show.

GameGavel
28-12-09, 04:25
Welcome to the forums and thanks for listening. Glad you are enjoying the show. Ya, the Dreamcast is a great machine and one of the last, if not the last, true retro systems. What games do you have for it?

miner2049er
28-12-09, 11:11
must say, it is quite interesting.

Not so heavy on the praise please.

All in all, great work and the end result shows how dedicated you guys are.

Now that's more like it. ;)

the floor in our "library" fell through recently, now the mags are dispersed throughout the house to distribute the weight).

Those are some heavy magazines or some weak floorboards.

I must confess that my fave sections are with So Cal Mike

That's OK, lots of people get the 2 Mikes confused. Hope he doesn't take it too badly.

GameGavel
28-12-09, 11:12
Not so heavy on the praise please.

Now that's more like it. ;)

That's OK, lots of people get the 2 Mikes confused. Hope he doesn't take it too badly.

Hey, now :DKB

triverse
29-12-09, 12:13
Thanks everyone for the welcome comments. It is really cool to be here, learning new and interesting things.

The floorboards are 2x8 12 footers spaced 16 inches apart. I blame it on the weight, 300 magazines, most being those "phone books" released in the early to mid 1990's (around the transition to 32-Bit when 16-Bit was just kicking butt). Also, I have a collection of about 600 books that I have collected over the years so there was quite a bit of weight in that one concentrated area.

I have plans to replace my other systems that died out on me though some will be rather costly (like the Turbo Duo system for instance, others like the Sega CD are perfectly playable on PC through emulation-course so are the Duo CD games but it just feels better playing on the actual hardware).

I am still learning the names of everyone involved with the various segments some, like So Cal Mike, hit home and are stuck in my mind more than others.

I really enjoyed the segments about the home jukebox and the variou options that were presented, rather well, to the listener. While I am not interested in doing something similar, it was still nice to know that there are options out there for those that might want to do it.

There is just so much to comment on, I am at a loss for most of it. Give me time though, I am kind of a loudmouth, I will get around to it. lol You guys rock. The review of Vintage Games was great (I wrote a review of it for PPG), great book and more people should read it, it truly is worth every penny.

I am off to check what episodes I have downloaded already and grab the missing ones.

miner2049er
29-12-09, 12:41
I am off to check what episodes I have downloaded already and grab the missing ones.

Be sure to grab the outtakes from our site too.