PDA

View Full Version : The Pandora is getting close to release.

lestat1uk
25-12-09, 08:54
Check out this site :

http://pandorapress.net/

This is what really got me excited though :

http://pandorapress.net/2009/12/21/another-n64-video-craigix-edition/

I have one on preorder and i have been waiting since sept '08, and to think that it will not be long before i get to play N64 games on a hand held and mame and loads of other stuff.

spoonmectr
25-12-09, 09:18
That is amazing! Where did you order yours from and how much was it?

lestat1uk
25-12-09, 10:54
At the moment they are going to be shipping the first batch (for the people that pre ordered there pandora's) but they are saying there is going to be a second batch. if you check out there forums at :

http://www.open-pandora.org

sometimes people want a refund for some reason or another and then a pandora becomes available. or wait untill for the second batch. The pandora cost me (including p+p) 207.20 GBP. A bit pricey ? yes, but from what i have seen, and if it does exactly what they say it does, then it is going to be easily worth that money.

lestat1uk
25-12-09, 11:15
i just found this, if you are interested :

http://gbax.com/pandoraxxx.html

spoonmectr
26-12-09, 03:58
$330, yea they are definently proud of it. Maybe the price will drop once they have been out for a bit.

lestat1uk
26-12-09, 08:21
perhaps. once i get my pandora, i will right a full review here. there is going to be an online dragonball z game for it, and playstation one emulator as well, i think Craigx mentioned at some point about creating an app store for it. Personally, i would love to see a version of daphne laserdisc emulator running on it. :).

lestat1uk
26-12-09, 11:19
i just noticed this over on dcemu, check out the c64 goodness :

http://pandora.dcemu.co.uk/commodore-64-on-pandora-video-277114.html

lestat1uk
26-12-09, 02:06
perhaps. once i get my pandora, i will right a full review here. i of course meant write ;)

miner2049er
26-12-09, 02:56
i of course meant write ;)

Oh write.

I mean rite. Sorry.

lestat1uk
26-12-09, 03:12
did you pre order a pandora miner ?

spoonmectr
26-12-09, 04:02
i just noticed this over on dcemu, check out the c64 goodness :

http://pandora.dcemu.co.uk/commodore-64-on-pandora-video-277114.html

I love this thing! I forgot how many great titles the C64 had! Does it have any storage capabilities other than the SD card slots?

miner2049er
26-12-09, 05:19
No I didn't pre-order but I am watching how it develops and how it works on release.

Trouble is, I'm pretty set with my PSP and the emulators etc I have on there so I never bought a GP32 or GP2X either.

lestat1uk
26-12-09, 06:24
I love this thing! I forgot how many great titles the C64 had! Does it have any storage capabilities other than the SD card slots?

No, it does has have usb ports, i presume you can connect an external hard drive to it if you have to. It has i think two sd card slots and the slots are compatible with sdhc, so you can go pretty high on them.

Trouble is, I'm pretty set with my PSP and the emulators etc I have on there so I never bought a GP32 or GP2X either.

I have had a gp32 and gp2x, and mame worked really well on them, the battery power on the gp32 was good, but the gp2x really sucked on battery power, it was almost like going back to the atari lynx. The amiga emulator was good on the gp2x quite fast and accurate. I also have a psp (pandored of course ;)) i do like the emulators on them, but what i really hated was the screen being stretch, also i hated the d-pad on the psp. I think i use my ds more :). The pandora it has both blue tooth and wifi so hopefully (i guess i am just dreaming) we might get some emulated two play action over the net, or head to head. That would be something. Also the pandora is more powerful than the psp and the devs are working on a dreamcast emulator for it, that reminds me Miner, check this out :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Portable-Handheld-Sega-Dreamcast-Homemade-PSP-DS-Type_W0QQitemZ110472224666QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Vi deoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsole

miner2049er
26-12-09, 06:55
that reminds me Miner, check this out :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Portable-Handheld-Sega-Dreamcast-Homemade-PSP-DS-Type_W0QQitemZ110472224666QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Vi deoGames_VideoGameConsoles_VideoGameConsole

Hmm, that free spinning disc is not great though. I think that stuff is best left to Ben Heck.

lestat1uk
26-12-09, 07:40
it looks pretty cool, there is a cover for it, but i don't think it is really good for mobility, i think i probably would have put a bid in if i had not gone down the pandora road.

Troglodyte
29-12-09, 12:17
To think that it will not be long before i get to play N64 games on a hand heldIn my opinion, this is the only thing the Pandora possibly has over devices such as the Dingoo A-320; a real GPU.

The Pandora seems much too pricey, much too big, and way over hyped.
It almost looks like it would feel like playing an emulator on small netbook.

The Dingoo A-320, can do everything the Pandora will be capable of doing, except those things that will require a real GPU.
Therefore, despite my love of gadgetry, I have little to no interest in preordering or even purchasing the Pandora.

Plus, it seems like it would be uncomfortable to hold, while the Dingoo A-320 feels much like using an :SNES:SNES controller, and is very light weight.

Can anyone confirm that the Pandora features some type of PowerVR GPU similar to that of the one found in the iPod Touch / iPhone?

spoonmectr
29-12-09, 01:24
+1 on the Dingoo. Plus its 1/3 the price!

lestat1uk
29-12-09, 09:22
hi,
i can confirm that the pandora has PowerVR SGX OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant 3D hardware, here are the specs :
http://www.open-pandora.org/

the pandora is not that big compared to to a nintendo ds lite, it is only just bigger than a ds lite, and thicker.

i do agree that the pandora is alot of money, but for what is planned for the pandora, i would say it is worth it, hey, they are even working on a dreamcast emulator on it, you won't see that on a dingaoo (i think i may need to get one of these devices to play around with whilst i wait for my pandora).

Alot of people talk about the ipod touch/ iphone as a gaming platform, (i have an ipod touch) i would not even consider it untill there is a decent controller for it, the controls on the touch are really bad, i find a lot games/emulators so hard to play on it.

As far as the comfort of playing the pandora, both you and i can only guess what it would be like, but as i said before, as soon as i get mine i will give a full review of what i think of the pandora when it arrives :)

Also you say the pandora has been over hyped, but i know so many people that have not heard of it, on both the net and in the the real world.

I am thinking also about text adventures on the keyboard, on a hand held, that would be cool to be able to play zork and kings quest on a hand held, there are so many possibilities with the pandora.

I like gadgets to, and before the end of the week i will order myself dingaoo, and see how i go with that, but by the looks of it it doesn't seem like it cannot do anything my gp2x can do (other than battery life).

Chris
29-12-09, 03:31
In my opinion, this is the only thing the Pandora possibly has over devices such as the Dingoo A-320; a real GPU.

The Pandora seems much too pricey, much too big, and way over hyped.
It almost looks like it would feel like playing an emulator on small netbook.

The Dingoo A-320, can do everything the Pandora will be capable of doing, except those things that will require a real GPU.
Therefore, despite my love of gadgetry, I have little to no interest in preordering or even purchasing the Pandora.

Plus, it seems like it would be uncomfortable to hold, while the Dingoo A-320 feels much like using an :SNES:SNES controller, and is very light weight.

Can anyone confirm that the Pandora features some type of PowerVR GPU similar to that of the one found in the iPod Touch / iPhone?

Hey I have a question you might know the answer to, is there a working C64 emulator for the Dingoo yet? I'm sooooo on the fence about the Pandora but the Dingoo sounds much more appealing due to price.

Troglodyte
29-12-09, 03:48
Is there a working C64 emulator for the Dingoo yet?

Yes, I know of at least two; Frodo and VICE.
They seem to be in constant development,
one or both of them may require Dingux.

I have yet to try either of them, since I
recently sold my Dingoo due to lack of
funds. I will be buying a new one soon
enough though.

Edwards80
29-12-09, 03:52
This may be of interest http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=276284

lestat1uk
31-12-09, 07:20
i just ordered myself a dingoo, to keep me busy until the pandora makes an appearance, it looks interesting, it has some interesting features, and i saw a review of it (done by no other then craigx of gbax.com and one of the creators of the pandora) and thought i would give it a go, i got mine for about 56 GBP from ebay (free p+p) so i got one for a friend as well.

Gordon Bennett
31-12-09, 10:48
[QUOTE=lestat1uk;12147]hi,
i can confirm that the pandora has PowerVR SGX OpenGL 2.0 ES compliant 3D hardware, here are the specs :
http://www.open-pandora.org/

Alot of people talk about the ipod touch/ iphone as a gaming platform, (i have an ipod touch) i would not even consider it untill there is a decent controller for it, the controls on the touch are really bad, i find a lot games/emulators so hard to play on it.

I am thinking also about text adventures on the keyboard, on a hand held, that would be cool to be able to play zork and kings quest on a hand held, there are so many possibilities with the pandora.

/QUOTE]

I have an iphone. I like it. I don't love it. The major problem with it as far as games go is, as you pointed out, the lack of hardware buttons. It simply can't manage a lot of gaming styles well. I've tried virtual onscreen control sticks, I've tried accelerometer controls, and they simply do not work well at all. They're very awkward, and make the games frustrating to play.

However, for those games that DO work with the broad finger strokes well, it is quite marvelous. I've been playing a lot of Skee-ball lately on it (a sort of cross between bowling and target shooting), and it's marvelous, much more fluid and intutitive than it would be with a d-pad and buttons. Much like the DS and Wii, it can provide some stellar gaming experiences, but you have to look carefully to find them and be aware of the control mechanism before you buy.

Now for the Pandora. I must admit, I am very tempted. It has all of the controls, including a keyboard. I've been looking for a way to put text adventures in my pocket and play them fluidly for a while, never with complete success.

It all depends on the emulation and the performance. I'm much more of a computer gamer, myself, so those are the emulators that count. If it can run VICE as well as the PC can, it might be worth the high price for that alone. Give me proper, working, fully developed Amiga and Atari ST emulation, enough to run demos as well as games, and I could well force myself to find a way to scratch up the 200 quid. Somehow.

lestat1uk
31-12-09, 11:09
I have to admit i have a bit of a love hate relationship with my ipod touch, i love the games that come out, just hate the controls :) i have seen something called the icontrolpad is being made by a third party company for the iphone/ipod touch, that looks like just what they need. if you go here :

http://www.gbax.com/

there is a youtube video of it working.

I had an atari st back in the day, and i am looking forward to when they do this as an emulator, i have no doubts in my mind that both the st and the amiga will be ported over from the gp2x. Hell i am even looking forward to just playing the hobbit again on a hand held on the sinclair spectrum :). Craigx has already talking about the end of January, so hopefully i can write a full review then :)

lestat1uk
31-01-10, 05:47
ok, i have had my dingoo now for a couple of weeks, and had enough time to play around with it, first off here are the points i didn't like about it :

It feels like cheap chinese crap plastic.
Out of the box it kept freezing when playing games, and i had to keep hitting the reset button in the side.
I had a nightmare trying to put dingux on my dingoo, it was just a matter of not pressing reset and b and press the on/off switch up and holding b

what i liked about it :

Mega/sega cd games work on it.
mame works really well it.
doom :)

it is a great little gadget, i play my dingoo more times then i play my dsi(i do break now and again for a game on pen 1 grand prix no mondai special) , i don't think (i am just guessing here as the pandora has yet to make an appearance) it will beat the pandora, but hell, whilst i am waiting for it, this is going to kill alot of time. If you cannot afford or get a pandora this is a good item to have :) big thumbs up from me. I also bought one for a female friend at work, and she loved the dingoo as well, she loves sonic, and also i introduced her to adventure island, and metroid games, i am going to put dingux on there for her soon, and hopefully she will get into the arcade games as well.

Troglodyte
31-01-10, 06:33
It feels like cheap chinese crap plastic.
Out of the box it kept freezing when playing games, and i had to keep hitting the reset button in the side.I guess the "cheap" plastic is a matter of opinion. I don't think it feels that cheap. This comes from someone once owning cheap Chinese crud like the "Game Axe"
Unless, maybe, they have changed the manufacturing process for some of the later revisions. Also, you might be having a lot of freezing up during games if you haven't updated the firmware, and / or you have one of the later revision Dingoos. It seems that the latter revision Dingoos (without the paw) have issues. Although, DealExtreme (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.23032) is reported to only be selling the paw version, so they are probably still being manufactured; just not as widespread to other outlets.

Even if I get a Pandora down the line, and I probably will, I have a feeling that I will still be using my Dingoo for everything <= SNES, since I think the form factor is near perfect for these types of games. Of course, I am most interested in the Pandora for its N64 emulation, and similarly powerful GPU driven consoles, as the Dingoo lacks a GPU.

By the way, I have researched the motherboard that the Pandora uses, and it is known as the "Beagle Board (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beagle_Board)"

This motherboard is widely available, and about $150.00. I plan to eventually use it in one of my own projects. They also make a more powerful version of the board with more ram and built-in Wi-Fi. So chances are, if the Pandora ever makes it off the starting block; we will see a more powerful Pandora not long after.

lestat1uk
31-01-10, 06:55
The casing to me feels cheap, i have had a few chinese mp4 players, they had pretty cheap casings on them to, but that is fine, it is what is inside that really got my attention.

I forgot to add to my dislikes is the playstation 1 emulation, i was so looking forward to playing this, and it was soooo slow, hopefully a future release will sort this out.

yes it was the firmware update, but i was thinking about people that would not think about doing a firmware update, that play the handheld straight from the box and go no further with it.

I hope they do make better pandora's because if the pandora is going to be as good as the hype, then the next more powerful pandora's will have some pretty damn good emulators on it, maybe one day we will have a handheld system with emulators playing two player on say street fighter 2 or bubble bobble or something like that. If they do better sign me up :).

Troglodyte
31-01-10, 07:14
I forgot to add to my dislikes is the Playstation 1 emulation, i was so looking forward to playing this, and it was soooo slow, hopefully a future release will sort this out.It's not really fair to add that to the dislikes list.
The Dingoo does not have a GPU; so Playstation emulation will never really be playable. Why that project was even started is beyond me. It is a complete waste of time.
If the author of the emulator knew anything about hardware or software, he would not have bothered trying to implement it. My guess is that he just ported over ePSXe.

Yes it was the firmware update, but i was thinking about people that would not think about doing a firmware update, that play the hand-held straight from the box and go no further with it.That's a valid point, I suppose. But with any of these type of non commercial electronics; there are inevitably going to be maintenance releases. If the Dingoo and other hand-held devices are in the hands of an individual that doesn't plan on doing a firmware update or even understand what one is; I hate to say it, but this hand-held is in the wrong hands lol

lestat1uk
22-02-10, 07:45
ok, it has been quite a few weeks now since i have had my dingoo, and i have converted three more people to the dingoo (they are just waiting for the dingoo to arrive chinese new year) and they really don't have any idea how to do updates, and dual boot the dingoo, so i guess i have just made more work for myself :(, but hey it will be worth it. Also
It's not really fair to add that to the dislikes list.
The Dingoo does not have a GPU; so Playstation emulation will never really be playable. Why that project was even started is beyond me. It is a complete waste of time. Can i add the project to my dislike list instead huh ?? lol

I suppose. But with any of these type of non commercial electronics; there are inevitably going to be maintenance releases. If the Dingoo and other hand-held devices are in the hands of an individual that doesn't plan on doing a firmware update or even understand what one is; I hate to say it, but this hand-held is in the wrong hands lol

The firmware can be a pain to install, but it was the dual booting that i think would be a real problem to a noob, hell it gave me problems.

Anyway more pandora news, the chinese company making the pandora's case have finally gone back to work early, so it is just the case's and the keymats to go and mass production can start :) (i was starting to think of the pandora as unobtainium)

lestat1uk
11-05-10, 11:35
Well it has been a few months since i last wrote an update, anyone who is following the pandora development would know that there is now 1500 motherboards in the uk, waiting for there casing's. The casing's and the keymats are on there way from china, and should be here tomorrow, and the assembling can start. I contacted the openpandora team to see where i am in the queue and i was told between 350-450, so hopefully not long to wait :), i know that once i have got my pandora, i can play both atari st and commodore amiga plus the c64 zx spectrum, and the usual suspects of emulators :), the playstation and the N64 emulators are not going to availible at the time of pandora release as they still need work done on them, so hopefully not long to go there. As far as my dingoo goes, i still play it, i have been playing both the metroid games on the gba emulator very good games, i just started playing river city (is it ransom?) on the gba, a very weird but fun game. I showed the dingoo to my brother and my cousin, they both want one, so i shall be buying them both dingoo's for there birthday's :)

lestat1uk
15-05-10, 11:24
Well more good news for people who ordered Pandora's, if you have not checked out the site yet or checked out Craigix's twitter here is the news:

The cases are here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wooohoooooo (a little bit of wee came out then) here is a link to thetube video that craig posted :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=und4FMtpL7U

and Craig twitter about an hour ago(10:23) :

"Up and Pandora'ing. Built some units and just working out the fastest assembly line."

Apparently the assembling starts Wednesday :)

Leathco
15-05-10, 04:52
Awesome. I plan on buying one after the preorder batch and. Hoping gp2xstore sells em here in a few months, or even better, make em available here on gamegavel!

lestat1uk
15-05-10, 07:14
i think they will probably sell them from gbax.com, or from the offical page you could contact craigx directly (http://www.open-pandora.org/), i will be giving a full review when i first get the pandora, for Initial first impressions, and then i will do another review a few months down the line when i have played with it a bit :), i have to say right now i am very excited about getting my pandora it has been a LONNNNNNNNNNGGGGG wait! lol

bill_loguidice
19-05-10, 03:52
I'm one of those people waiting well over a year for this thing to ship to me. I'll believe it when it actually is in my hands. While a lot of the luster has been lost based on the long wait and the obvious lies (intentional or otherwise), I'm still hopeful it will be something special.

lestat1uk
19-05-10, 08:10
Have you been keeping up with Craig on twitter (http://twitter.com/Craigix), do you know where you are on the queue? i emailed them a little while ago and they told me i am between 350-450 in the queue so i am certainly going to get one this time around. I know recently they have had a lot of trouble with the company that made the cases, but apparently the cases are worth the wait. I think it will be something special especially when the Pandora gets into the hands of "us lot" let the homebrew begin :). If i get my Pandora before you get yours let me know if there is something you want me to try out on it :). Just checked and Michael Weston has arrived in the Uk (http://pandorapress.net/) and so it begins.......

lestat1uk
19-05-10, 08:15
oh before i forget, here is list people have done of where abouts they are in the queue:

Date Time Est Pos
2008-09-30 3:31BST 167
2008-09-30 16:45BST 400-500
2008-09-30 ? 350-450
2008-09-30 19:13GMT 600-700
2008-10-01 15:25:05 +1 350-400
2008-10-05 5:42PM EST? 1350-1450
2009-02-15 ? 1600–1700
2009-03-19 ? 1750–1850
2009-05-05 1850-1950
2009-10-04 3100-3200
2009-10-15 2200-2300

bill_loguidice
19-05-10, 08:18
Thanks. What's the best e-mail address to use to check my place in the queue?

lestat1uk
20-05-10, 06:37
Contact Jacquelyn at: openpandorasales@gmail.com but bear in mind that she will be busy now we are getting close to lift off. She answered me within one day, so give it ago :)

bill_loguidice
20-05-10, 06:02
Contact Jacquelyn at: openpandorasales@gmail.com but bear in mind that she will be busy now we are getting close to lift off. She answered me within one day, so give it ago :)

Thanks! My ~ position is 750 - 850.

Leathco
20-05-10, 06:19
I just can't order one til I see what it can do and how the quality is. I'm looking forward to any reviews you guys do. It looks like a killer little handheld, but for over 300 bucks I wanna see a final production unit in action first. From what I've heard it'll run Quake 3 with no prob, as well as the full version of Ubuntu (at least 7.10, which shows how long the thing has been in development as Ubuntu is at 10.04 now). I'm looking forward to it and prolly will take the bite and get one, but for now I'll wait on reviews from you guys first. I don't mind waiting on the second batch, the Wiz is a fine standby system.

bill_loguidice
20-05-10, 07:35
I just can't order one til I see what it can do and how the quality is. I'm looking forward to any reviews you guys do. It looks like a killer little handheld, but for over 300 bucks I wanna see a final production unit in action first. From what I've heard it'll run Quake 3 with no prob, as well as the full version of Ubuntu (at least 7.10, which shows how long the thing has been in development as Ubuntu is at 10.04 now). I'm looking forward to it and prolly will take the bite and get one, but for now I'll wait on reviews from you guys first. I don't mind waiting on the second batch, the Wiz is a fine standby system.

That's the question, really, is it worth the premium over the Wiz or Dingoo or any of the other emulation-centric handhelds that have come out since the Pandora was announced many moons ago? I only have one open source handheld, the GP2X-F200, in my collection, and was/have been certainly underwhelmed by it (the price I paid at the time didn't help with my opinion of it either). The key factors in the Pandora's favor on paper (for me) are the battery life (10 hours+), controls (digital plus analog) - and most importantly from a do-everything emulator in my opinion - a keyboard (creating far less stress when emulating computers). The fact that it can double as a type of netbook (via a full-featured Linux) helps justify its price further. Whether the semi-pro devs behind this device can pull everything off remains to be seen - certainly their planning skills are criminal - but even after the long wait my mind will remain open. Would I have gone through with my pre-order had I known it was going to be *this* long? Probably not, but it doesn't change the fact that on paper anyway there's no way I wouldn't want this thing, so that's why my money remains in their hands.

lestat1uk
21-05-10, 06:35
I totally agree with Bill on this, as much as i like my dingoo, playing things like text adventures and playing the atari st, amiga,c64,zx spectrum, kinda felt like you are in the bath with your socks on. I believe that the dingoo and the wiz, the gp2x were good, but the pandora has just up the ante on how you experience these emulators. I am still drooling over the thought of being able to play robotron with two joysticks(nub sticks??) on the Pandora. I just checked Craigs twitter and he is saying the first 50 units are being shipped by mid day tomorrow. I would like to see some sort of online play(perhaps for homebrew games) or some version of mame with an online leaderboard.

Leathco
21-05-10, 01:44
Glad to hear they are finally shipping. I look forward to seeing those initial reviews. If they are pretty good I may buy one next year.

lestat1uk
22-05-10, 10:10
well today has certainly been a busy day for the pandora people (i was going to say crew but a) it is not the 1980's and b) i am not that cool) there is a new update on http://pandorapress.net/ so get over there and check it out, but..... over on twitter..... at the start of the day we got this tweet from Craig "We missed RM SDel shipping deadline yesterday, won't arrive until after the weekend, sorry everyone. 50+ more will be done today..." and now the day is over he has just posted another tweet saying"Some of today's work, going for 100 tomorrow. http://twitpic.com/1q43gg" now if my calculations are correct, that would be two hundred :) (including tomorrows amount)

lestat1uk
23-05-10, 01:06
Just in case you don't go to the website. When i saw this, a bit of white wee came out. The first mass produced Pandora.........And i'm spent :)

http://pandorapress.net/files/2010/05/211j5p5.jpg

lestat1uk
23-05-10, 01:42
And there is more :) :

http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/104411514.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1274618069&Signature=SY%2BCJUy10rm48kxZHC9lCnzPpv4%3D http://pandorapress.net/files/2010/05/kbt7hs.jpg

lestat1uk
23-05-10, 03:28
A twitter just in from Craig :

Today's attempt! http://twitpic.com/1qc9l6

lestat1uk
27-05-10, 06:43
Whilst i am waiting for my Pandora to get here, here are a couple of bits and bobs i found on the forums :

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/53653-my-pandora-review/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CaU9jQQJ1o&feature=player_embedded

lestat1uk
27-05-10, 07:05
here is a little something i found on the forums:

"View Postcraigix, on 27 May 2010 - 06:37 PM, said:
I can tell you that by the weekend just under 400 should have shipped. At that point the wifi mods are done and things should get faster and easiler - however next week will be a week of assembly review with us seeing how we can do things faster and better.

There are no issues with assembly, it just takes time and there is no decent wifi in the hall to come on here.

On the next 3000 there is a lot we can have done at the case factory to speed things up - such as them putting the bumpers and stickers on the cases before they ship. That has taken us 2 days to do!

Is there any need of this thread anymore btw now there is the ultimate openpandora stalker? "

I hope i am in that batch :)

lestat1uk
28-05-10, 01:41
here is a beta version of mupen64 running at 800mhz with no frameskip, has a long way to go but still very exciting :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVAf0XtFIuk&feature=player_embedded#at=418

lestat1uk
06-06-10, 09:01
just noticed this on Craig's twitter :
"Pandora batch2 ordering at end of this month. Please be patient, try not to send us too many emails right now, very busy shipping batch1! " it seems a little optimistic to me to start ordering the second batch when the first batch isn't even close to being finished, but hey, i am just the end user :)

lestat1uk
15-06-10, 06:59
Well i got impatient and i decided to go and join the one nub club(where you skip the queue and you get the pandora with one nub broken), i thought would go down this route, well because of three reasons :

1) some of the people on the forums over at http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/topic/54073-the-one-nub-club/ have been saying that they have fixed some nubs with compressed air and calibration.
2) people on the forum have been getting ones that work anyway (worth taking a chance)
3) the second nub is ok for games like robo0tron and smash tv, but other than that i cannot think of another use for it.

So i got my email yesterday :
"Hello,

This is to confirm your Pandora has been shipped.

If you are in the UK you can look forward to recieving your order in the next 24 hours (weekends not always included), if you chose UPS shipping you should recieve your order in the next 48 hours (weekends not included). Airmail will take 2-12 days.

We want to thank you for sticking with the Pandora project for all this time. We hope you will enjoy the final product. You can head over to gp32x.com to talk on the forums and soon enjoy your Pandora.

Thanks so much,

Craig and the Pandora team."

Not long now :D

lestat1uk
15-06-10, 02:39
It arrived today, the nub was broken, i then changed the gui, and went into the configurations for the nub, and it works perfectly :) really happy with that, and i skipped the queue. I am just putting some "stuff" on to my sd card, so i will hopefully have a small review for you next week after i messed about with my pandora a bit, oh just one fault i found so far, the x,y,a,b buttons are mixed up....but hell i can live with that. The Pandora doesn't just feel amazing, it looks amazing as well :D

Edit: Turns out the X,Y,A,B buttons are suppose to be like that. :D

lestat1uk
27-09-10, 04:40
That's the question, really, is it worth the premium over the Wiz or Dingoo or any of the other emulation-centric handhelds that have come out since the Pandora was announced many moons ago? I only have one open source handheld, the GP2X-F200, in my collection, and was/have been certainly underwhelmed by it (the price I paid at the time didn't help with my opinion of it either). The key factors in the Pandora's favor on paper (for me) are the battery life (10 hours+), controls (digital plus analog) - and most importantly from a do-everything emulator in my opinion - a keyboard (creating far less stress when emulating computers). The fact that it can double as a type of netbook (via a full-featured Linux) helps justify its price further. Whether the semi-pro devs behind this device can pull everything off remains to be seen - certainly their planning skills are criminal - but even after the long wait my mind will remain open. Would I have gone through with my pre-order had I known it was going to be *this* long? Probably not, but it doesn't change the fact that on paper anyway there's no way I wouldn't want this thing, so that's why my money remains in their hands.

I was wondering if you had recieved your pandora yet?, i don't think anyone mention how great the screen is as well :)

bill_loguidice
27-09-10, 04:53
I was wondering if you had recieved your pandora yet?, i don't think anyone mention how great the screen is as well :)

Pandora? What's that? I ASSUME I'm still getting one, maybe even this year. I think I need to consult a psychic to know for sure, though. It will be about as reliable a predictor as anything else.

lestat1uk
27-09-10, 05:46
Pandora? What's that? I ASSUME I'm still getting one, maybe even this year. I think I need to consult a psychic to know for sure, though. It will be about as reliable a predictor as anything else.

LOL, really it is going to be worth the wait, look at it this way all the time you are waiting for your Pandora, the software is progressing, the Ginge emulator came out a month or so ago it is the wiz, gp2x emulator and it works pretty well (man i love cave story on the gp2x) also mame4all has come out on the pandora, needs some clocking when running games like outrun, but other than that it runs pretty good. Also Picodrive has just added 32x support, i only found about three or four games not to work on that. They have released a 2D MMORPG called the mana tree, also a torrent downloader called transmission . I know the team has been having nub trouble, and were waiting for new nubs to be tested and delivered so i hope you get one of them, and soon.

bill_loguidice
06-10-10, 10:06
As I've mentioned at Armchair Arcade, I'm SERIOUSLY close to requesting a refund for my $400+. The two year wait is bad enough, but I'm starting to see things like the Panasonic Jungle and MMC that would meet my needs eventually if I so chose, and I could put that $400+ towards an Alienware laptop RIGHT now, which would be helpful because I don't have a gaming PC at all these days.

miner2049er
06-10-10, 11:00
Have you had no estimated delivery time at all?

In the land of customer service Bill, I would expect you to negotiate at least a little discount for your dissatisfaction.

seanyboyuk
07-10-10, 12:10
I owned a gp2x for a short while. I sold it due to the poor battery life, dodgy dpad and lack of buttons. The pandora looks nice indeed but i will stick to my pc for emulation and hope some good emus get made for the ipad.

bill_loguidice
07-10-10, 02:54
Have you had no estimated delivery time at all?

In the land of customer service Bill, I would expect you to negotiate at least a little discount for your dissatisfaction.

I was told I was 750 - 850 in the queue back in May... Now the two year anniversary of the pre-order is coming up, I did in fact send the "refund" request e-mail. We'll see if/when I hear back...

darksol
07-10-10, 05:05
So what is the deal on not shipping these? Are they still waiting on a certain volume of orders before another round of production?

bill_loguidice
07-10-10, 02:48
So what is the deal on not shipping these? Are they still waiting on a certain volume of orders before another round of production?

No, they don't need any more orders. They got pretty much all 4,000 pre-orders needed two years ago. They only had finalized designs/production ready earlier this year. The problem is it's basically a couple of people doing all of the assembly/testing/shipping, so they're averaging maybe a few systems per week out the door since they were first finalized. As has been the case over the two years, problems continue to plague the operation. The latest thing was dodgy controllers. To their credit, they're doing everything possible to make sure each unit is perfect, but two years is an eternity in the tech world and what would have been a wonder product back then is now just something kind of neat and not necessarily worth all the other baggage, including of course waiting for software development to mature.

darksol
08-10-10, 05:16
No, they don't need any more orders. They got pretty much all 4,000 pre-orders needed two years ago. They only had finalized designs/production ready earlier this year. The problem is it's basically a couple of people doing all of the assembly/testing/shipping, so they're averaging maybe a few systems per week out the door since they were first finalized. As has been the case over the two years, problems continue to plague the operation. The latest thing was dodgy controllers. To their credit, they're doing everything possible to make sure each unit is perfect, but two years is an eternity in the tech world and what would have been a wonder product back then is now just something kind of neat and not necessarily worth all the other baggage, including of course waiting for software development to mature.

Wow, unbelievable! You are right, when Pandora was first introduced it was amazing. But the chipset they are using , the TI 3530 is getting long in the tooth versus even what smartphones are equipped now. Get some mini HDMI action to the TV and a decent Bluetooth controller with a good DPAD and you are good to go.

lestat1uk
09-10-10, 09:12

From what i get from the post, pre-orders on the second batch of 4000 have/had started, i think they employee more than a couple of people to do the assembly/testing/shipping, it was said in one of the posts but i cannot find it :(. Wow yeah there have been a lot of problems. In the tech world two years is an eternity, but it is hard to find a device that covers everything like the pandora does. You get software development also with anything you buy, especially open source devices.

Wow, unbelievable! You are right, when Pandora was first introduced it was amazing. But the chipset they are using , the TI 3530 is getting long in the tooth versus even what smartphones are equipped now. Get some mini HDMI action to the TV and a decent Bluetooth controller with a good DPAD and you are good to go.

People are often compairing the tech of the Pandora against the smart phone, yep the tech is better, but a lot do not have the control set up like the Pandora, so playing games on the n64 becomes a pain. There is Tv adaptor coming for the Pandora, and the dpad on the Pandora is excellent(my compairsons for these are the dingoo, the psp, the ds lite,) i think the Pandora dpad is almost as good as the dsi. The nubs are responsive, and work really well with Super Mario 64. Although i had waited a long time for my Pandora, was it worth the wait? hell yeah!

lestat1uk
09-10-10, 09:17
As I've mentioned at Armchair Arcade, I'm SERIOUSLY close to requesting a refund for my $400+. The two year wait is bad enough, but I'm starting to see things like the Panasonic Jungle and MMC that would meet my needs eventually if I so chose, and I could put that $400+ towards an Alienware laptop RIGHT now, which would be helpful because I don't have a gaming PC at all these days.

There main problem has been at the moment is the new nubs for the Pandora, where a number of Pandora's had been sent back because of faulty nubs they had to responed to this problem and the new nubs are suppose to be stronger, i have old nubs :( i hope if my break again it will be in warranty.

This is a pretty good link that will allow you to see all the posts that the Pandora team has been posting not just in the forums but on twitter as well:

http://alec.mooo.com/lol/cxs.php

Yeah i saw the Jungle a few days ago although it is one ugly mother, i am keeping an eye on it :). I doubt that it will be open source but hopefully some creative hacker will soon sort that out :D.

Or perhaps this is more "up your street", Bill?

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/09/15/ocosmos-ocs-1-offers-huge-power-for-a-handheld-the-ocosmos-ocs-1-handheld-offers-oak-trail-windows-7/

bill_loguidice
09-10-10, 03:51
From what i get from the post, pre-orders on the second batch of 4000 have/had started, i think they employee more than a couple of people to do the assembly/testing/shipping, it was said in one of the posts but i cannot find it :(. Wow yeah there have been a lot of problems. In the tech world two years is an eternity, but it is hard to find a device that covers everything like the pandora does. You get software development also with anything you buy, especially open source devices.

That's the thing that really gets under my skin. They haven't shipped out even the first 500 of the first 4,000 pre-orders from 2 years ago and there's no ETA when they'll even reach that milestone, yet they're taking pre-orders for the next 4,000. At this pace, the 8,000th person will get his order some time in 2014! I'm glad you're happy with yours and I'm sure it will bring people many years of joy, but enough is enough. Of course I STILL haven't gotten a response to my e-mail requesting a refund (surprise, surprise), so who knows what my eventual status will be.

bill_loguidice
09-10-10, 04:54
My refund "cheque" has been dispatched. Hopefully I have no issues with cashing it here in the US after it arrives.

lestat1uk
09-10-10, 05:20
My refund "cheque" has been dispatched. Hopefully I have no issues with cashing it here in the US after it arrives.

I think you will have no issue there. I was hoping for another fellow Pandorian :) One of the things that made people mad were they promised to keep a queue, which it seems there was no queue, if i never have skipped the queue and went with the broken nub (which was the right nub which worked fine, it was the left nub that broke) i would have had to have waited like you have. Thankfully my Pandora got replaced when the left nub broke.

That's the thing that really gets under my skin. They haven't shipped out even the first 500 of the first 4,000 pre-orders from 2 years ago and there's no ETA when they'll even reach that milestone, yet they're taking pre-orders for the next 4,000. At this pace, the 8,000th person will get his order some time in 2014!

I think i read somewhere on the forums they were going for the end of the year on completing both batches. It is such a shame that they have had so much trouble with the Pandora, because when it was being devolped, they asked the community what they wanted from a handheld, you just would not get something like that from a company for example gamepark holdings, nintendo, or sony.

I am always interested in new gadgets so keep posting what new handheld (if you get a handheld that is) you get :)

bill_loguidice
09-10-10, 05:24
Really, I think I'll be skipping the handheld for now, lestat1uk, and just go for the Alienware laptop. I can give my existing laptop to my oldest daughter so she can play Webkinz, among other things, since the hand-me-down laptop she has appears to be kaput. Like I said, if the Pandora guys get their act together and/or stores actually stock the item, I certainly see one in my future. If I got a future handheld emulation machine, though, it would have to be Pandora-like with keyboard and several control options like the high end one you linked to a few messages back. Otherwise, I have all the standard stuff taken care of portable emulation-wise with the stuff I already own (like the GP2X-F200)...

lestat1uk
09-10-10, 07:02
I really hope the Pandora guys get there act together also, because word of mouth tend to sell units, when i show people my Pandora they are amazed by it, and want one, then i have to tell them they have to pay up front and wait which never sits well. I am thinking about getting my nephew a gp2x f-200 for christmas, how are they in comparison to the gp2x?(i had one of these and the battery would be eaten up so fast, also the joystick was a nightmare)

bill_loguidice
09-10-10, 07:43
I really hope the Pandora guys get there act together also, because word of mouth tend to sell units, when i show people my Pandora they are amazed by it, and want one, then i have to tell them they have to pay up front and wait which never sits well. I am thinking about getting my nephew a gp2x f-200 for christmas, how are they in comparison to the gp2x?(i had one of these and the battery would be eaten up so fast, also the joystick was a nightmare)

It's an improvement in overall design over the GP2x, but the F200 is also a battery hog. I would not recommend it. I've heard good things about the Cannoo, though.

Leathco
09-10-10, 08:28
I'm waiting til February to get one but saving the cash for it now. I figure I'll add a tiny bit from my tax check and pick up a case, spare stylus, power adapter, and spare battery since everything comes from the UK. Good to have spare basic parts just in case.

Leathco
25-01-11, 03:58
Aaaand.....ordered. Payed for the Pandora and a case since that alone came to $418 bucks after shipping.....I'll pick up the extra stylus, power adapter, and TV-Out cables wonce the cables are released.

bill_loguidice
25-01-11, 04:44
Aaaand.....ordered. Payed for the Pandora and a case since that alone came to $418 bucks after shipping.....I'll pick up the extra stylus, power adapter, and TV-Out cables wonce the cables are released.

You're a brave man. Maybe you'll get it some time in 2012 if you're lucky.

miner2049er
25-01-11, 05:40
Just a thought, but with the size/spec/price/availability of the Pandora at the moment, is a netbook not a better solution?

Leathco
25-01-11, 08:30
Well....I got my hopes up to get it by this fall, since they say they are producing 500 to 1000 units a month now. I hope......lol I am like 3200 in the second batch and they say theyve sent close to 2000 from the first batch.

As far as a netbook, its actually a lot bigger than a pandora. Pandora is close to a ds in size, a netbook is twice as big as a pandora at least. And I have a q1, which is more or less a 7 inch touchscreen tablet that runs windows. kinda like an ipad, but with windows instead.

bill_loguidice
25-01-11, 09:06
Well....I got my hopes up to get it by this fall, since they say they are producing 500 to 1000 units a month now. I hope......lol I am like 3200 in the second batch and they say theyve sent close to 2000 from the first batch.

For what it's worth, Mark Vergeer, who is one of the guys who does Armchair Arcade with me, was in the first batch of 1000 like I was, and he still hasn't received his yet...

Leathco
25-01-11, 11:53
That sucks.....hope he at least gets an email soon, as the pandora blog said 500 more boards just came in. If he dont have a shipped email within a couple weeks id be contacting someone.

TripHamer
30-01-11, 03:32
Anyway, the price of the Pandora went up to $500 US. So they are claiming that if you pay that much...or the difference from what you've paid (people who preordered at the old price), you'll get it in 7 days.

http://pandorapress.net/2011/01/28/500-instant-pandoras/

After reading thru the article and thread, I doubt they are going back down in price as they cost too much to produce. I thought it was expensive at $350, but $500....I'll most likely pass on this.

Leathco
04-03-13, 05:35
Finally got mine. Review incoming after I get a couple 32 gb ad cards.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

bill_loguidice
04-03-13, 06:13
Wow, Leathco, now that's dedication! I have countless devices that do more than that now, plus I Kickstarted the GCW-Zero, which I think will get me most of the way there, and for far cheaper. Still, I wish you luck with the thing.

Leathco
04-03-13, 10:10
The Gcw looks like a great handheld, synical_enigma over at retroreviewrevolution.com is planning a review of it when he gets his in. The 1 ghz cpu and 512 mb ram is equivilent to newer pandora systems, and dingux is a nice os that was easy to use on the Dingoo.

I still like the big screen and full keyboard. Keyboard is great for running older Pc games from the amiga and commodore era.