PDA

View Full Version : RoundUp 12 - A Nice Normal Girl

miner2049er
16-12-09, 07:50
Holy Crap! It's snowing on the RGRup homepage.

Surely the December show is close now?

http://www.retrogamingroundup.com

It is, but don't call me Shirley.

miner2049er
17-12-09, 12:03
OK RoundUp fans, fill your Christmas boots.

A Nice Normal Girl (http://www.retrogamingroundup.com/shownotes/2009/roundup012_2009.12.htm)

We see the return of the celebrated It Came From MAME and Mike'd Up.

Editorial on Past And Present Gaming - (00:00)
Hardware Flashback - (13:53)
SoCal Christmas Wishes - (47:48)
Mike'd Up - (51:34)
Pacman Christmas Album Part 1 - (83:53)
Guinness Gaming Records - (88:17)
Scott Christmas Wishes - (89:50)
Review Of Bruce Lee - (94:43)
Pacman Christmas Album Part 2 - (103:49)
It Came From MAME - (109:50)
UKMike Christmas Wishes - (118:58)
The British Hour - (122:33)
Pacman Christmas Album Part 3 - (131:16)
Top Ten Multi Player Arcade Games - (136:25)
UKDerek Christmas Wishes - (236:16)
iPhone Reviews - (236:32)
Pacman Christmas Album Part 4 - (254:16)
Gaming Trivia - (263:17)
UKKevin Christmas Wishes - (263:46)
News And Mailbag - (264:02)
URLS And Emails - (335:12)

BydoEmpire73
17-12-09, 01:56
Excellent, I'll be DL'ing tonight. Looks like a nice, long one to tide me over the break...

Hmmm, the top 10 is an hour long - sounds like there was some blood...

miner2049er
17-12-09, 09:15
Hmmm, the top 10 is an hour long - sounds like there was some blood...

Actually no, that's 100 minutes. ;) There was some.

Gordon Bennett
18-12-09, 12:56
I'm still catching up on the old shows. Nonetheless, having joined the forums, I've decided to jump ahead to the new show in order to stay current with the discussion.

So far it's a marvelous show.

However, I have to say, that Pac-Man Christmas album is perfectly awful. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have it on the grounds that I wouldn't be likely to ever experience that particular bit of retro goodness in any other way - but when it plays through, I am in a state of shock as to how perfectly terrible and embarrassing it is hear.

The Atari stories, by comparison, were high literature.

Looking forward to the rest of the show.

Gordon Bennett
18-12-09, 02:14
Just a quick note, as I am listening:

UK Mike, you mentioned a game in the top ten list from the Amiga with a jeep and a helicopter as Silkworm.

I am 99% certain that the game you were referring to is SWIV - a sort of unofficial sequel created for the Amiga and ST. SWIV could be "Silkworm in Vertical", and we certainly assumed that it was - but, evidently, without the Silkworm licence it couldn't be.

Smashing game, by the way. A bit uneven for two players, as the jeep was often trapped behind obstacles that the helicopter could fly right over - but a marvelous game nonetheless, with a lovely track loader that allowed the entire game to be played without pausing to load the next segment from disk.

Chris
18-12-09, 04:20
Hey guys, thanks for giving a little mention to The Retro Machine! Yes, the articles are written by me and are found on Retro Junk. The Facebook group is a work in progress where I eventually want to showcase everything in a little different (and hopefully more interactive) format.

Vol 18 just came out and is found here: http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/5574/

Links to the other 17 are at the bottom of Vol. 18.

Thanks again guys,

Chris

GameGavel
18-12-09, 05:37
Hey guys, thanks for giving a little mention to The Retro Machine! Yes, the articles are written by me and are found on Retro Junk. The Facebook group is a work in progress where I eventually want to showcase everything in a little different (and hopefully more interactive) format.

Vol 18 just came out and is found here: http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/5574/

Links to the other 17 are at the bottom of Vol. 18.

Thanks again guys,

Chris

Sure, no problem. I've actually had RetroJunk in my fav's for years. How long has it been around? Love the photos in your articles. They always bring back tons of great memories. Feel free to post links to your articles here. I am sure all our listeners would enjoy them.

Chris
18-12-09, 05:55
Sure, no problem. I've actually had RetroJunk in my fav's for years. How long has it been around? Love the photos in your articles. They always bring back tons of great memories. Feel free to post links to your articles here. I am sure all our listeners would enjoy them.

I'm not sure how long Retro Junk itself has been around, but I do remember checking that site periodically for years before I ever submitted articles there.

It was so cool listening to you talk about the Pocketfuls in last month's show and this month. Back in September I actually "rediscovered" the Pocketfuls (which were Milton Bradley Pocketfuls in the US). I had this nagging feeling that there was some mechanical game I owned years ago, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Lo and behold, as I did my usual scouring of the internet I stumbled upon them and I recognized the one I had right away. It was the Motocross one and I put it in Vol. 18. I love finding stuff like that, stuff that just somehow disappeared from my memory and then it comes back.

I'm a good way into this month's show, really enjoying the sid christmas tunes. Loved listening to the Sega Master System finds, my experience with them has been the same (they are always in great condition with the box). I'm slowly starting to cover some Master System stuff on Video Masters TV, you should check it out, I reviewed Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the September 2009 episode.

My friends and I were such Master System fanboys in the mid-late 80's. We even formed our own "Sega Fan Club" and my dad printed out a giant Sega Fan Club banner on our dot matrix printer, which I hung proudly in my room. Back then, there was no anticipating upcoming games on the Master System, finding them in gaming magazines was impossible it seemed. I saw a game for the first time whenever i went to the toy store and so those beautiful blue-grid boxes hanging on the wall behind the counter. That's a special kind of moment of surprise that I think is sadly kinda gone.

miner2049er
18-12-09, 09:18
However, I have to say, that Pac-Man Christmas album is perfectly awful.

Yeah, if we had tape that should have eneded up on the cutting room floor.

UK Mike, you mentioned a game in the top ten list from the Amiga with a jeep and a helicopter as Silkworm.

I am 99% certain that the game you were referring to is SWIV

Yeah I know SWIV but it was Silkworm I meant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWtrUZkb5V4

Troglodyte
18-12-09, 05:25
@Gordon Bennett

that Pac-Man Christmas album is perfectly awful. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to have it on the grounds that I wouldn't be likely to ever experience that particular bit of retro goodness in any other way

You wouldn't be willing to make a rip of it would ya?
I can't seem to find a valid link anywhere; the only
one I could find was a file on Rapid Share that has
since been taken down for copyright infringement.

Obviously, if you have the proper equipment for this
and are willing to do it, don't post it here directly.

I may just have to buy it myself, and lend it to
someone whom has the equipment :PAC

Thanks in advance

GameGavel
18-12-09, 05:36
@Gordon Bennett

You wouldn't be willing to make a rip of it would ya?
I can't seem to find a valid link anywhere; the only
one I could find was a file on Rapid Share that has
since been taken down for copyright infringement.

Obviously, if you have the proper equipment for this
and are willing to do it, don't post it here directly.

I may just have to buy it myself, and lend it to
someone whom has the equipment :PAC

Thanks in advance

I can get it for you. Do you want all the talking records?

Troglodyte
18-12-09, 06:12
I can get it for you. Do you want all the talking records?

You mean the Atari read-along records (or whatever they are referred to as)?

Sure, why not, I'm sure some others would appreciate that.
If you can put them up without fear of copyright infringement,
go for it :mspac:

Thanks in advance

GameGavel
18-12-09, 06:55
You mean the Atari read-along records (or whatever they are referred to as)?

Sure, why not, I'm sure some others would appreciate that.
If you can put them up without fear of copyright infringement,
go for it :mspac:

Thanks in advance

Actually there was a guy on AtariAge.com who was selling these all in a nice cdrom package. With album artwork and everything. I will see if I can find it. It was like $15.

readboy
18-12-09, 07:34
Just downloaded and listened to the first hour or so. I really enjoyed UK Mike's editorial on his attitude to the current generation of gaming. It almost mirrors my own attitudes. I feel much of the problem is down to more responsibilities reducing the amount of time available to gaming. I can't play big epic games any more, you play for an hour or so, then save the game. Come back to it a week later and you've forgotten where you were and what you were supposed to be doing and promptly give up. Retro games in general don't have these problems as you can play most of them in 20 minutes, not 20 hours.

I am also pleased to hear CGE is back for 2010. It gives me hope another UK CGE will happen at some point. The two hosted in Croydon were great.

Can't wait to listen to the rest.

Gordon Bennett
19-12-09, 04:36
Yeah, if we had tape that should have eneded up on the cutting room floor.

Yeah I know SWIV but it was Silkworm I meant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWtrUZkb5V4

OH! I didn't even know there were 16-bit ports! Looks quite nice, too. Cheers.

miner2049er
19-12-09, 12:56
My wife and I played that to death and like I mentioned, it's probably one of the last games we really played co-op or competitive together in a big way, another was Lotus 2 but I do occasionally kick her ass on Tetris when the mood takes.

She (almost) always beats me at Zoo Keeper / Columns / Jewel Quest though.

PoloPlayr
20-12-09, 09:28
Yesss!!!! What a great start to start my Christmas vacation. Just listened through this the first time....and time to revisit it again.

Just have to add this: The crook behind Gizmondo, Stefan Eriksson, who was the leader of a Swedish mafia group in the 1990s has in NO way any connection to Ericsson the mobile/telecom company. As a Swede, I feel I need to make this clear. Ericsson, the company, was founded in 1876.

SubaruBrat
21-12-09, 01:08
Excellent catch! The article I had said it was, good to know. :MM

ScottAwesome
22-12-09, 09:09
I very much enjoyed the show, and I applaud you for keeping the length of the show how it is. Thanks for the shout out during the mailbag segment (I sent in the pics of "Textminator" arcade abomination). I really appeciate all the effort you guys put into the show.
Scott (ScottAwesome on XBL and RGRUP forums)

Funspot72
03-01-10, 07:14
UK Mike, just heard the British Hour. Loved the "Quiz Show" format between Scott and SoCal Mike. Also loved the reference to the "Young Ones" classic "Bambi" episode where Rick admitted to tampering with Bambi's question cards, with Scott playing the role of Rick. Completely Brilliant!

miner2049er
03-01-10, 10:35
Cool, how big was The Young Ones over there?

It was huge here.

alyinsanfran
03-01-10, 07:55
Bugger it, I'm not up to that bit yet.

Young Ones was massive in NZ. I swear my entire (single sex) high school was made up impersonators. I did a mean Neil.

I played both series for my (American) wife a few years back. She was all over it. It's timeless.

Funspot72
03-01-10, 10:44
Young Ones was pretty big in the US as well. It was broadcast first on MTV in the mid-80's and then brought back for a small run on Comedy Central in the mid-90's. I have their DVD's and love to watch them every now and then.

Funspot72

eldphm
08-01-10, 01:58
Great show as always, although I am not sure I will be as motivated to keep pacman alive on the playingfield as much after the "cristmas special".

and one more thing, is it just me or does this threads name generate some unusual Google ads?

Looking forward to the next show.
PH.

saberman
18-01-10, 02:09
I’ve been out of the loop for a while, I’ll put my full quote from the 10 ten debate below. I’ve only just finished listening this podcast. It was another great one and thanks again to Mike, Mike and Scott I’m sure I’m not alone in really appreciating what you all do each month.

I particularly like this months ‘it came from MAME’. It was good to see the section back. As it was a recommendation last month can I recommend ‘The Pit’ for a future review?

I’ve been out of the loop for a while, busy with family over Christmas and busy with work since getting back at the start of January.

I have my own MAME cab now too and can recommend it to anyone who doesn’t have one. Playing stood up with proper controls beats using a gamepad or handheld every time. That’s taken up a lot of my time too :).

As a recommendation to anyone in the UK I bought my MAME cab from Ebay from ‘digitalsystemdesign’. It was really good value and the guy was great to deal will I’d strongly recommend him to anyone else. At the moment he sells through ebay but he’s going to set up a web site and send me details. I’ll post the site details when I have them. He’s also going set up a gaming convention later in the year I’ll post details of them and submit them for news when I have them too.

psychogorilla
25-01-10, 04:30
Just downloaded and listened to the first hour or so. I really enjoyed UK Mike's editorial on his attitude to the current generation of gaming. It almost mirrors my own attitudes. I feel much of the problem is down to more responsibilities reducing the amount of time available to gaming. I can't play big epic games any more, you play for an hour or so, then save the game. Come back to it a week later and you've forgotten where you were and what you were supposed to be doing and promptly give up. Retro games in general don't have these problems as you can play most of them in 20 minutes, not 20 hours.

Seconded. A big part of it is just being older and having more interests, but there's a part of me that looks at the whole thing like Saturday morning cartoons in the '80s. Sure, part of appreciating those includes being young at the time, but another part is that they really were way better and more innovative than today. I'm almost never excited for a new game anymore, but I know it has nothing to do with outgrowing games, as I have spent very large amounts of money on arcade cabs recently. Hyped Wii games are practically irrelevant to my interests.

teknohed
28-01-10, 06:21
Hey guys, still chewing through this months show. Just wanted to say thanks for the link to the ZX Spectrum book. I purchased the C64 book that these guys put out by pre-ordering it. It is a totally great read. I missed the Spectrum book and it's going for 200 bucks if you can find it (which isn't that likely). It's nice to know I can at least read through this thing even if I didn't get a chance to get the real thing.

As usual a great listen, keep up the good work!