PDA

View Full Version : Satan's Hollow

GameGavel
26-11-09, 06:33
Just picked this up for a good price. This game def has a certain aura about it.

http://www.chasingthechuckwagon.com/SHollow.JPG

CinemaslaveJoe
02-12-09, 03:41
Hey, that's a pretty sweet looking machine! I have always been a big fan of this game (I just played it on MAME yesterday, in fact), and had forgotten how good the cabinet could look in a dark room. Congrats on another great find.

-CSJ

GameGavel
02-12-09, 03:59
Hey, that's a pretty sweet looking machine! I have always been a big fan of this game (I just played it on MAME yesterday, in fact), and had forgotten how good the cabinet could look in a dark room. Congrats on another great find.

-CSJ

Ya, it is pretty sweet. Just picked up another new game too - see other thread :)

CinemaslaveJoe
02-12-09, 01:50
Y'er killing me, Mike, with all these great finds. :)

-CSJ

GameGavel
02-12-09, 04:31
Y'er killing me, Mike, with all these great finds. :)

-CSJ

I know, but the bad part is I need to sell some to make room for more, so the collection isn't growing. And I have to part with games that I don't want to part with.

I had to sell my Atari Video Pinball, to make room for the SW Tril. But I think I will play it more.

CinemaslaveJoe
03-12-09, 03:55
Well, look at it this way: at least you're parting with games in order to get other games. I had to sell my Dragon's Lair and Star Wars cockpit just to pay the rent when I got laid off in 1999. A decade later, I still miss those games so much I could cry. Daphne plays a very decent game of Lair, but I just can't play Star Wars without the flight controller.

-CSJ

bill_loguidice
03-12-09, 09:29
While the cabinet and everything is nice, I was always enamored with the gameplay. It's probably in my top two favorite and most played arcade games today along with Pooyan, which is somewhat odd considering they're both thematically opposites (though still "shooters").

GameGavel
03-12-09, 10:17
While the cabinet and everything is nice, I was always enamored with the gameplay. It's probably in my top two favorite and most played arcade games today along with Pooyan, which is somewhat odd considering they're both thematically opposites (though still "shooters").

Pooyan is one of my favorites too. I would love to find a cabinet but they are somewhat rare.

bill_loguidice
03-12-09, 10:23
Pooyan is one of my favorites too. I would love to find a cabinet but they are somewhat rare.

I hear you. There's obviously not much to the cabinet (at least not like Satan's Hollow), but owning a favorite would certainly be a rush. I of course play both games on my MAME cabinet. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to make the room for either stand alone machine. The only stand alone I'd probably consider would be a World Series Baseball, but that's mostly because of the unusual control panel (which for me, makes the game).

GameGavel
03-12-09, 10:39
I hear you. There's obviously not much to the cabinet (at least not like Satan's Hollow), but owning a favorite would certainly be a rush. I of course play both games on my MAME cabinet. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to make the room for either stand alone machine. The only stand alone I'd probably consider would be a World Series Baseball, but that's mostly because of the unusual control panel (which for me, makes the game).

WSB from Cinematronic? If so I have seen those go super cheap $50+/- at auctions :) I've never played it but it does have an interesting control setup.

bill_loguidice
03-12-09, 10:47
Yep, the one from Cinematronic. There's one on eBay in nearby PA that will probably go for fairly cheap, but it's a long state and located on its western end, making the round trip something like 9 hours for me. Not worth it.

You really have to try it one day. All you do is hit and pitch in the game. The hitting is the best part, with a springed analog (?) joystick turned on its side for the batting. It's extremely satisfying hitting the ball using that controller. There were home ports (I have the one for PC DOS that featured Orel Hershiser I believe) but it's not the same without the controllers. To me, it's the ideal mid-point between today's analog batting with a stick and something like swinging with the Wii Remote.