PDA

View Full Version : Classics we missed

miner2049er
25-11-09, 09:58
Submit the classic retro games that at least one of us on the show has missed and we will record a first play of it and give our impressions.

PoloPlayr
25-11-09, 10:40
OK, here are some of my requests, to start off with:

Since, next episode would potentially be a Christmas episode....

Daze Before Christmas (SNES) - One of the best platformers EVER and 100% Christmas-themed. I believe this was never commercially released but the proto rom is leaked and 100% final/playable. Just a great great great game.

Legend of Zelda 3: a Link to the Past (SNES) - In my opinion, one of the best games ever made.

Ducktales or Chip n' Dale series of NES games from Capcom - Great great platformers.

Will add more as I think of them.

GameGavel
25-11-09, 10:47
OK, here are some of my requests, to start off with:

Since, next episode would potentially be a Christmas episode....

Daze Before Christmas (SNES) - One of the best platformers EVER and 100% Christmas-themed. I believe this was never commercially released but the proto rom is leaked and 100% final/playable. Just a great great great game.

Legend of Zelda 3: a Link to the Past (SNES) - In my opinion, one of the best games ever made.

Ducktales or Chip n' Dale series of NES games from Capcom - Great great platformers.

Will add more as I think of them.

I am going to actually reviewing the Sega Gen version of Daze for our December show. You read my mind. I just picked it up on my GP2x Emu.

PoloPlayr
25-11-09, 10:50
I am going to actually reviewing the Sega Gen version of Daze for our December show. You read my mind. I just picked it up on my GP2x Emu.

Looking forward to it!

I've absolutely loved the SNES version for years and play it to completion a few times a year. And always just before Christmas.

Would be interesting to perhaps get a comparison betwen the SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive versions.

miner2049er
25-11-09, 11:01

Well, I played it about halfway through and got bored so I won't do it ;)

I'm not sure how well it is suited to a quick pick up n play review but somebody may do it.

SubaruBrat
25-11-09, 11:02
C&D Rescue Rangers was a great game on the NES, good call!

BydoEmpire73
26-11-09, 12:08
One of my favorite 8 bit games: Kenseiden on the Master System. Great graphics, cool Japanese samurai/magic theme, interesting levels and gameplay... definitely an underappreciated game.

One of my computer favorites: Blood Money on the Amiga. Psygnosis was the King of Amiga software, imho, and Blood Money was such a cool shooter.

SubaruBrat
26-11-09, 02:13
Psygnosis presens
a DMA design production
BLOOOOD MOONNNEY

Genius game, the first one I played on the A500 and it made a lasting impression.

jboypacman
26-11-09, 04:17
Donkey Kong for both the Atari 800 XL and Gameboy.

PoloPlayr
26-11-09, 10:05
Well, I played it about halfway through and got bored so I won't do it ;)

I'm not sure how well it is suited to a quick pick up n play review but somebody may do it.

Fair enough. RPGs/Adventure games may not be too well suited. Agreed. Still a bloody good game though! :)

CinemaslaveJoe
02-12-09, 03:26
I'm a Mac guy, so I'd love to hear some talk about the new hi-res Windows remakes of King's Quest 1 and 2, which I unfortunately can't play. (I have a Power PC Mac, not an Intel Mac, so I can't run Windows apps.)

Thanks for the consideration, and I understand if this is deemed not podcast appropriate.

Ooo, how about looking at the various (usually horrible) home versions of Dragon's Lair throughout the years? I am particularly fond of the infuriating but oddly addictive Commodore 64 version.

-CSJ

SubaruBrat
02-12-09, 04:30
Ok, a dumbass me story. I got a C64 mag shortly after Dragon's lair came out. It had about 4 pages of code to type in for a Dragon's lair demo. My simple 12 year old self though; OK, so only a few levels, I will type it in to play it at home. Never thinking that a frame of video would occupy the entire magazine.....

So for days I typed and I typed and finally got it done, fixed the syntax errors and guess what I got, the Dragon's lair logo, no game, no nothing but a logo.

miner2049er
02-12-09, 09:32
So for days I typed and I typed and finally got it done, fixed the syntax errors and guess what I got, the Dragon's lair logo, no game, no nothing but a logo.

Think about the poor people that couldn't fix the Syntax errors!

They got nothing!

PoloPlayr
02-12-09, 08:32
Think about the poor people that couldn't fix the Syntax errors!

They got nothing!

But they still had their dreams. Bless them.

leathco
03-12-09, 02:54
Your mileage may vary on these, not sure what you all have and haven't played. I have noticed you are all more oriented towards arcade, pinball, and PC gaming, while I' m more of a console guy that enjoys the occasional arcade game, though most of my arcade experiences are through MAME. Anyhow, I'll line some up by console. Keep in mind I'm also an RPG nut so some of these aren't well suited to a quick play.

NES:
Karnov. Gottta be one of the most unique side-scrollers I've played.
River City Ransom. Great beat-em-up with cool character customization.
Earthbound Zero. Witty RPG, only available via reproduction cart or ROM.
The Immortal. Hard as nails isometric game with a unique style.
Uninvited. Horror themed game in the style of Myst.

SNES:
Saturday Night Slammasters. Fun fighting game from Capcom.
Mechwarrior 3050. Great FPS with customizable mechs, I love this one.
X-Men Mutant Apocolypse. One of the best licensed games ever made.
Chrono Trigger. Popular, but for good reason. Best RPG from the 16 bit era.
Gradius 3. The ultimate side-scrolling shooter.

Genesis:
Jurassic Park. Another great licensed game.
Battletoads. Takes the NES version and improves across the board.
Shining Force. Great tactical game.
Robocop vs. Terminator. Fun game, also hard as nails.
Phantasy Star 3. A huge RPG with a great story.

Sega CD:
Lunar Silver Star. Classic RPG with a heartrending story.
Lunar Eternal Blue: Same as above.
Penn and Tellers Smoke and Mirrors. You'll have to download and burn this one, it never released. Incredibly unique game.
Snatcher. Hideo Kojima at his best.
Sonic CD. Possibly the best Sonic game ever.

32x (yes it had some good titles):
Star Wars Arcade. Difficult, but still great fun.
Knuckles Chaotix. Platformer and puzzle game all in one.
Afterburner. Great port of the arcade version.
Space Harrier. Also a great port of the arcade version.
Mortal Kombat 2. Hmm, seems most of my top 32x games are arcade ports!

I could go on and on with these, but I'll just limit them to the top 5 for those consoles, as thos are the main ones I collect games for right now (current count is 113 NES, 65 Genesis, 50 SNES, 32 Sega CD, and 18 32x!)

miner2049er
03-12-09, 09:28
I never played Myst but I like the thought of Uninvited.

leathco
03-12-09, 12:15
I never played Myst but I like the thought of Uninvited.

Ever play Deja Vu or Shadowgate? All three use similar game engines. Also, all these games were ported from early Mac systems. The NES got em all other than Deja Vu 2, which the Game Boy got in a Deja Vu compilation. They are all fun point n click games, definately give them a shot. They can be pretty difficult at first without a walkthrough, but I think a walkthrough spoils the game too much too.

BydoEmpire73
03-12-09, 04:21
To continue my Amiga love, how about Battle Squadron? One of my favorite shooters ever - the music was just amazing. It was ported to the Genny, if I remember correctly, but that version wasn't as good.

BydoEmpire73
22-12-09, 02:09
Okay, here's an Amiga game that I missed myself. I finally got a chance to play it this last week and I'm totally hooked: Tunnels of Armageddon. I don't recall even hearing of this game, so I'm not sure if it was popular at the time, but it's a blast. It's a high-speed race through a series of tunnels. You have a through-the-cockpit view of your ship, and control your via the mouse as you try to race through tunnels as fast as posisble. The paths get increasingly complex as you go on, and it's has that deceptively easy quality. You can get the hang of it quickly, but playing well is tricky. Very addictive, cool game.

GameGavel
22-12-09, 02:22
That sounds cool. This has got me thinking. In an upcoming show I will review a game system that most never heard of, at least here in the United States. I picked one up a couple years ago and love it.

The Amiga CD32. There are tons of missed "classics" on this thing. Everyone that is a classic gamer owes it to themselves to pick one of these up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_CD32

BydoEmpire73
22-12-09, 04:47
That sounds cool. This has got me thinking. In an upcoming show I will review a game system that most never heard of, at least here in the United States. I picked one up a couple years ago and love it.

The Amiga CD32. There are tons of missed "classics" on this thing. Everyone that is a classic gamer owes it to themselves to pick one of these up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amiga_CD32I'd love to get a CD32, and a review would be great. They always seem a bit pricey when I see them in auctions, so I haven't gotten one yet.

triverse
10-01-10, 10:08
I remember Gamefan doing some coverage on the CD32, though they only ever really showed games like D/Generation and something else, I think Zool 2 and that was it. I have read a lot about the system and have been interested in getting one.

Do you have a list available of the games you have for your CD32? Can't wait to hear the review.

Funspot72
18-01-10, 05:12
Ok I have a few games you may have missed:

The Immortal (Genesis/Mega Drive)--It was a bit hard, but I loved that you would have random very graphic kill scenes in the battle mode when you beat the monster.

Mountain King (Atari 2600)--Loved the music in this one. Pretty advanced by 2600 standards.

Dark Wizard (Sega CD/Mega CD)--Great RPG all around in my opinion.

Zoo Keeper (Arcade)--I think the main character in this game was named Zeke.

The Neverhood (Windows 95)--Not sure if this game would be even considered retro since I believe it was released in 1996. I just love the claymation graphics in this game with a very humorous soundtrack and gameplay, this was always one of my favorite games that I played.

SubaruBrat
18-01-10, 05:17
I think I have brought up Zookeeper, it is a game that is missed often though. I never saw one in the golden age myself though, nor did I recall hearing of it ever until it became a retro title. Great manic game play!

Edwards80
18-01-10, 12:02
I have to give a shout for Harlequin (1992) for the Amiga. Absolutely fantastic fun and awesome level design.

One of those games you are disappointed to have completed. The music has a place on my iPod too :D

http://www.lemonamiga.com/?mainurl=http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php%3Fid%3D1224

saberman
18-01-10, 02:19
I could probably recommend 100s of games – mostly on the spectrum :).

Picking some of my absolute favorites:

The Lords of Midnight – This was on the Spectrum and C64 and was a great game. I’d be interested in someone reviewing it now as it had a huge impact on me back in the day but I’d imagine it has dated now.

Bomb Jack – This is one of my all time favourite games and I’m not sure if any of you mentioned it in say the Top 10s?

Alien 8 – Spectrum again :). Of all of those 8 bit isometric arcade adventures this is the best IMHO.

Edwards80
18-01-10, 02:54
Picking some of my absolute favorites:

The Lords of Midnight – This was on the Spectrum and C64 and was a great game. I’d be interested in someone reviewing it now as it had a huge impact on me back in the day but I’d imagine it has dated now.

You may be interested in this http://www.icemark.com/tower/

Agreed on Bombjack too :D

saberman
18-01-10, 04:09
You may be interested in this http://www.icemark.com/tower/

Agreed on Bombjack too :D

One of my favourite sites :). In fact years ago I started a Windows conversion myself and was in contact with Chris and Jure Rogelj. Jure started to create some improved graphics for me that Chris eventually used in his Windows versions.

teknohed
18-01-10, 09:46
I know that UK has talked some about racing sims, but I don't think we've heard much about flight sims.

I was a big fan of LHX Attack chopper back in the day.

Any of you guys play it? It was an EA game that I played on the PC, but may have been on the Genesis s well.

Also, I'm a little behind on my podcasts and am still listening to the Halloween episdoe, but it occurs to me that in your discussion of Horror games you missed a few:

Chiller (arcade is best, but I'd be curious if anyone played the NES version)
D2 - Dreamcast
Nightmare Creatures - I played it on PS1, but it also came out on N64 just in case Scott is going to turn his nose up to that "modern" console
Sweet Home - NES (this was a japanese haunted house game from which some people (http://www.encyclopedia-obscura.com/gameshorror.html)think Resident Evil was derived)
Monster Party - NES
CarnEvil - Arcade

Funspot72
26-01-10, 04:11
A few others you may have missed:

Riddle Of The Sphinx (Atari 2600)

Smurf Rescue In Gargamel's Castle (Colecovision)

Boonga Boonga (I haven't heard anything about this game on the podcasts, it sounds interesting) ;-)

Funspot72

Troglodyte
26-01-10, 04:18
Boonga Boonga (I haven't heard anything about this game on the podcasts, it sounds interesting) ;-)

Surely you jest! :MM

teknohed
26-01-10, 06:34
A few others you may have missed:

Riddle Of The Sphinx (Atari 2600)

Smurf Rescue In Gargamel's Castle (Colecovision)

Funspot72

I just tried to sell my duplicate copy of gargamel's copy...no one bit...oh well, we know it's a good game!

limedarren
18-02-10, 12:37
raid on bungling bay - c64
paradroid - c64
trashman - spectrum
its only rock n roll - spectrum
d/generation - amiga
rockstar ate my hampster - amiga
lords of the rising sun - amiga

miner2049er
18-02-10, 01:05
Yeah Paradroid bypassed me too and it is alleged to have very deep and involving gameplay too.

It's on my list.

limedarren
18-02-10, 07:58
Yeah Paradroid bypassed me too and it is alleged to have very deep and involving gameplay too.

It's on my list.

"alleged" ???? didnt you play it back in the day???

miner2049er
18-02-10, 11:05
"alleged" ???? didnt you play it back in the day???

Nope, not once. Don't know why but it just never happened.

alyinsanfran
19-02-10, 12:02
I had a pirated version, without instructions. I never did figure out how to play it, but I liked what I saw. It's a game that I've been meaning to learn for about 25 years.

limedarren
19-02-10, 05:41
now theres a topic for discussion ! - Classics you missed first time around

F-zero
23-02-10, 07:16
If you like shooters please, please try Twinkle Tale on the Genesis/Megadrive.
It was a Japanese only release which i picked up last year, a great great game.

Foo
23-02-10, 10:51
bounty bob strikes back

the human race

(uk mike have u ever played the above mastertronic game ,it was amazing for 1.99 except for the last level which we could never figure out.)

maybe you could do a feature on mastertronic on one of the shows

F-zero
24-02-10, 07:34
bounty bob strikes back

the human race

(uk mike have u ever played the above mastertronic game ,it was amazing for 1.99 except for the last level which we could never figure out.)

maybe you could do a feature on mastertronic on one of the shows

Here's a complete play through of the human race on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw2dqAxSo3I
Now you have to load it up and beat it unless you were talking about bounty bob strikes back?

Gordon Bennett
24-02-10, 11:17
I do remember The Human Race. Loved the concept. Fantastic Rob hubbard soundtrack. It was a pity that I was absolutely rubbish at it. In fact, that video was the first time I have ever seen past the second screen.

Nice one.

Foo
24-02-10, 11:27
yeah the music was amazing , the second screen was tough but possible

Dhalamar
24-02-10, 11:32
I actually missed Zero Tolerance for the Sega Genesis back in the day. I didn't even know about that game until the people who did it released it as public domain back in ... I want to say somewhere in the area of 1999 to 2001.

I still picked up the cartridge, for a Genesis first person shooter it plays pretty damn good and has some effects that were rather surprising (blood running down the walls and stuff like that). I really wish I would've had a Genesis back when it was out, I would've picked it up in a heartbeat.

And I missed Phantasmagoria, but not out of lack of trying. I just didn't have a PC back in the day that would've been able to run the game. By the time I did the stores didn't have it anymore. Picked it up from gog.com and I've been playing it off and on for a few days now ... I think I'm on the third day now. Other games I've gotten from gog.com are Beneath and Steel sky, Teen Agent, Lure of the Temptress (which those three games are free if you haven't gotten them), Duke Nukem 3D, Duke Nukem : The Manhattan Missions, Earthworm Jim 1 and 2, Descent 1 and 2, MDK, Divine Divinity, and Beyond Divinity.

And definitely can't forget Rise of the Triad : Dark Wars. That's another one I kind of missed being that I only played the HELL out of the shareware version back in the day. I had almost completely forgotten about it until I saw it on that site and snagged it IMMEDIATELY. Under the old 320x200 resolution ... it's a wonder how I was able to play the shareware version so much back in the day ... but there are some great source ports of the game that let you bump the resolution up. There's a DirectX port that lets you go up to 1024x768 and an OpenGL port that lets you go up as high as you want (I think) and it adds bot support for the multiplayer.

There are others that I've kinda missed, which is especially weird since I've been into emulation almost since it started. And I actually kind of enjoy offshoot games and stuff I've never heard of.

I kind of wish I'd gotten into golf games when I was younger, the first one I ever played was Golf on the Atari 2600 and ... yeah ... then Golf on the NES, and that wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to be pixel perfect on your shots. I recently played Jack Nicklaus for the NES and Gameboy and the older PGA Tour games for the Genesis and PC and they're definitely games I would have played if I didn't get burned on the previous two games. :P I pop in PGA Tour III for the Genesis from time to time and the original PGA Tour for the PC because they play just as great as the modern ones do.

readboy
25-02-10, 02:31
Just got hold of a Saturn 3D pad and have been playing Nights into Dreams a lot; it really is a unique game and deserving of any gamers time.

I don't think the Saturn in general has had much coverage on the show, do any of you own one ?

F-zero
25-02-10, 03:09
Just got hold of a Saturn 3D pad and have been playing Nights into Dreams a lot; it really is a unique game and deserving of any gamers time.

I don't think the Saturn in general has had much coverage on the show, do any of you own one ?

Yes, i have a saturn, nicely modded for 50/60hz etc
Apart from Radiant Silvergun i would be hard pushed to think of a game that makes me want to turn it on.
I guess the system just doesn't have a lot of fans?

Gordon Bennett
25-02-10, 05:58
There are several worthwhile games on the Saturn. Panzer Dragoon Saga is the stuff of legends. Pity it's almost as hard to find as Radiant Silvergun.

Nights into Dreams and Christmas Nights are gorgeous.

Daytona USA is a wonderful arcade racer. It's a near-perfect port of the arcade.

Last (from me) - I haven't played this myself, but going by reputation Saturn Bomberman is the very best Bomberman title. I'm more likely to decide to be super-retro and fire up the original Eric and the Floaters on the Spectrum (did you know that Bomberman's name is Eric?), but I must admit that is mainly because it is my all-time winner of the Game Title Most Like A Band Name From 1960 award.

BydoEmpire73
26-02-10, 03:44
There are several worthwhile games on the Saturn. Panzer Dragoon Saga is the stuff of legends. Pity it's almost as hard to find as Radiant Silvergun.

Nights into Dreams and Christmas Nights are gorgeous.

Daytona USA is a wonderful arcade racer. It's a near-perfect port of the arcade.

Last (from me) - I haven't played this myself, but going by reputation Saturn Bomberman is the very best Bomberman title. I'm more likely to decide to be super-retro and fire up the original Eric and the Floaters on the Spectrum (did you know that Bomberman's name is Eric?), but I must admit that is mainly because it is my all-time winner of the Game Title Most Like A Band Name From 1960 award.My favorite Saturn game of all time: Dragon Force. Awesome strategy RPG. Saturn Bomberman was amazing as well, as was Panzer Dragoon Saga. Lots of great games for that system that went overlooked.

I mentioned it in the Top 10 2600 games thread, but you really need to check out 2600 Spiderman. I'm not a fan of comic book superheroes at all, but it's just a great game. Very cool game mechanics, good graphics, great controls. It's just a unique, fun game.

niftyifty
02-03-10, 10:12
I always thought Sonic Jam was a great compilation pack for the Sega Saturn. Lots of hidden stuff and the museum section was superb for the time.

Great show guys and keep up the fantastic work.

I'm writing this on my HTC Hero otherwise I'd write more lol!!

readboy
10-03-10, 07:01
I've already warbled on about Nights into Dreams, but I also get a lot of play out of Sega Rally Championship, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Sega Ages Volume 1 & Virtua Fighter 2. All top titles in my view.

Dhalamar
10-03-10, 07:06
Damn, I played this for the first time the other day.

Star Trek : Strategic Operations Simualtor

Was running through my Atari 2600 roms and found it, played it, loved it. Then I thought to myself "I wonder if there was an arcade version ..." and sure as shit there was. lol

And it's a vector graphics game! How the hell could I have possibly missed that?!

I've been playing the crap out of it lately. I'm not worth a crap at the game, but damn it's fun. :P

It's just amazing that I missed that game because I've been into emulation since the mid 90's.

alyinsanfran
10-03-10, 07:17
Damn, I played this for the first time the other day.

Star Trek : Strategic Operations Simualtor

Was running through my Atari 2600 roms and found it, played it, loved it. Then I thought to myself "I wonder if there was an arcade version ..." and sure as shit there was. lol

And it's a vector graphics game! How the hell could I have possibly missed that?!

I've been playing the crap out of it lately. I'm not worth a crap at the game, but damn it's fun. :P

It's just amazing that I missed that game because I've been into emulation since the mid 90's.

There was a sit-down cab at my local arcade back in the day - that game kicked arse if your head was between the speakers.

It's a little easy though - not that that's a bad thing, but with the spinner that the original cab had you could target pretty accurately off the radar alone. I remember that I used to play off the radar, with the main window in my peripheral vision. That's the reverse of the way any other game that had a radar worked.

SRG
31-08-10, 03:03
I loved that Star Trek! Fun as hell!! As I remember the sounds were extremely accurate? Anyone back me up

Also someone mentioned Paradroid, we(my C64 buddies and I) got that in about 90/91? I was the only one to figure it out, I played that all the time! I tried to show others how to play it, never seemed to work :(

Dhalamar
31-08-10, 10:54
I loved that Star Trek! Fun as hell!! As I remember the sounds were extremely accurate? Anyone back me up

Also someone mentioned Paradroid, we(my C64 buddies and I) got that in about 90/91? I was the only one to figure it out, I played that all the time! I tried to show others how to play it, never seemed to work :(

Paradroid's in the iPhone C64 app. :)

SRG
02-09-10, 01:00
Yes I have the C64 app, and paradroid, the few times I tried to play it, I did not like the controls and it was way too fast :( I should try it again

SRG
02-09-10, 01:28
Ok tried it again just now and the controls are still junk :( but I won a few transfer rounds and remembered how much I loved this game!!!! I need to find a emulation of this!!

Also I d/led a few of the free apps I wish these guys would figure out the controls, I love Express Rider but it is virtually unplayable. I had bought Space Taxi awhile back, another of the C64 games I played the hell out of back in the day and it is ruined by the lack of control on the iPhone...

I wish they would figure out a keyboard or something...

Gordon Bennett
03-09-10, 07:29
Ok tried it again just now and the controls are still junk :( but I won a few transfer rounds and remembered how much I loved this game!!!! I need to find a emulation of this!!

Also I d/led a few of the free apps I wish these guys would figure out the controls, I love Express Rider but it is virtually unplayable. I had bought Space Taxi awhile back, another of the C64 games I played the hell out of back in the day and it is ruined by the lack of control on the iPhone...

I wish they would figure out a keyboard or something...

Space Taxi! Loved, loved that game. Everything about it, the design, the controls, the voices - genius. I can't imagine what it must be like trying to play it with the virtual stick. I can't blame the developers for wanting to include it, but I would expect that slower-paced games like Ark Pandora or Neuromancer would be more effective.

SRG
04-09-10, 05:51
Space Taxi! Loved, loved that game. Everything about it, the design, the controls, the voices - genius. This made me think, it has been close to 20 years since I played. How many different screens were there? I remember 4? I think? Am I making things up or do I remember a vine/bean stalk kind of level?